Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search

Results: Fire and Forget, or Watching Every Step

40.45% • 36 votes

25.84% • 23 votes

28.09% • 25 votes

2.25% • 2 votes

1.12% • 1 votes

3.37% • 3 votes

Fire & Forget - don't log in/wait for statements

0% • 0 votes

You may not vote on this poll

89 votes in total.

• FIRST POST
    • Murphy_The_Cat
    • By Murphy_The_Cat 3rd Feb 18, 11:39 AM
    • 19,538Posts
    • 25,498Thanks
    Murphy_The_Cat
    Fire and Forget, or Tracked All The Way
    • 3rd Feb 18, 11:39 AM
    Fire and Forget, or Tracked All The Way 3rd Feb 18 at 11:39 AM
    Just for curiousity, how often do you log on to check your portfolios, what is your rational for doing it that way and do you feel that it has helped or hindered your investment planning ?

I'll set the ball rolling with
    I look every day
    I like to know if my planning is working
    Its helped me to focus on the long term plan - I'll consider a minor adjustment to 1 or 2 funds part way through the year to keep me on track, but I try to only make significant changes once a year. (this year it was removing some duplication of funds and adding a passive tracker fund for the first time)

Page 2
    • DairyQueen
    • By DairyQueen 3rd Feb 18, 8:01 PM
    • 227 Posts
    • 374 Thanks
    DairyQueen
    I check general market movements most days but only look at the impact on my portfolio approx. weekly. The former exercise ensures that I don't suffer peep-and-shock.
    • Zorillo
    • By Zorillo 3rd Feb 18, 8:04 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    Zorillo
    My only significant investment is my pension fund which I seldom ever check. This allows me to be pleased by the build up of regular contributions regardless of how the fund itself is performing.

My first 'active' investments are in JISAs and I'm checking them regularly whilst I wait for the novelty to wear off.
    • Fatbritabroad
    • By Fatbritabroad 3rd Feb 18, 8:33 PM
    • 343 Posts
    • 186 Thanks
    Fatbritabroad
    I look daily when the markets open. Purely for interest in a single multi asset fund so its a day out of date anyway generally as I understand it. Just interested in how it's moved and what's caused it. I also have 5 times the amount in my isa in my pension so this helps me avoid any panic. For instance it's hard to feel concerned that my 25k in my isa has dropped by a grand over the last week when my pension has moved by 5,000 in that time. Should really stop looking but like others it's easy
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 3rd Feb 18, 9:49 PM
    • 58,184 Posts
    • 51,558 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    Daily for SIPP.

Check that dividends etc have been correctly credited. Contributions made and tax relief given likewise have been credited.

Monitor and review sharp price movements.

Review IT discounts/premiums as appropriate.

Read daily market report that's provided.

If cash balance has hit prescribed limit. Decide what to invest in next. Trade as and when.

(ISA - monthly. Smaller in size).
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • talexuser
    • By talexuser 4th Feb 18, 1:04 PM
    • 2,384 Posts
    • 1,875 Thanks
    talexuser
    I don't log in but pull the chest from under the bed and stack up the gold coins every day and count them again and again with my fingerless gloves, by the single tiny flickering candle, wearing two overcoats... I'm rich!
    • Eco Miser
    • By Eco Miser 4th Feb 18, 1:14 PM
    • 3,444 Posts
    • 3,234 Thanks
    Eco Miser
    ..., by the single tiny flickering candle,...
    Originally posted by talexuser
    That's not very MSE, count them in daylight and save the candle for emergencies.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
    • ColdIron
    • By ColdIron 4th Feb 18, 1:17 PM
    • 4,031 Posts
    • 4,972 Thanks
    ColdIron
    I don't log in but pull the chest from under the bed and stack up the gold coins every day and count them again and again with my fingerless gloves, by the single tiny flickering candle, wearing two overcoats... I'm rich!
    Originally posted by talexuser
    Do you cackle 'mine, all mine' or talk like a pirate? I often find myself conflicted
    • Johnnyboy11
    • By Johnnyboy11 4th Feb 18, 1:56 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Johnnyboy11
    I check my Woodford funds every time a major UK company issues a profits warning and suspends its dividend. Almost invariably I find that Woodford has a massive stake in said Company, Capita being the latest example in a long line of fails.
    • DairyQueen
    • By DairyQueen 4th Feb 18, 3:05 PM
    • 227 Posts
    • 374 Thanks
    DairyQueen
    I check my Woodford funds every time a major UK company issues a profits warning and suspends its dividend. Almost invariably I find that Woodford has a massive stake in said Company, Capita being the latest example in a long line of fails.
    Originally posted by Johnnyboy11
    Woodford seems to be providing an insider view of companies to avoid like the plague. Those of us not invested in his funds should thank him.
    • username12345678
    • By username12345678 5th Feb 18, 1:48 AM
    • 212 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    username12345678
    When I first transferred my DB pension in to a SIPP (10 months ago) I was checking it a couple of times a day. The novelty of looking at it has waned a bit now so I reckon i'm a couple of times a week.

However, i'm in the process of moving it to another platform and self-managing so no doubt i'll be wearing out the 'log on' button for a few weeks to see how it's going.

Ideally i'd like to be disinterested enough to check and rebalance every 6 months or so but there's no way that will happen, not because I will tinker (I won't) but because I find the whole thing (including research/learning) fascinating.
    • chockydavid1983
    • By chockydavid1983 5th Feb 18, 11:06 AM
    • 574 Posts
    • 345 Thanks
    chockydavid1983
    I do a monthly current account/ credit card/ investment/ pension check but specific changes don't affect my strategy.
    I'm quite surprised how many people check daily.
    • Fatbritabroad
    • By Fatbritabroad 5th Feb 18, 12:14 PM
    • 343 Posts
    • 186 Thanks
    Fatbritabroad
    Do you cackle 'mine, all mine' or talk like a pirate? I often find myself conflicted
    Originally posted by ColdIron
    My precious.....
    • Murphy_The_Cat
    • By Murphy_The_Cat 6th Feb 18, 12:39 PM
    • 19,538 Posts
    • 25,498 Thanks
    Murphy_The_Cat
    Oh dear. Maybe for the "log in every day" people like me, its time to temporarily forget your password and find something else to occupy your time.

Its a lot more enjoyable watching things go up, than coming down

• Alexland
    • By Alexland 6th Feb 18, 1:18 PM
    • 2,236 Posts
    • 1,628 Thanks
    Alexland
    Oh dear. Maybe for the "log in every day" people like me, its time to temporarily forget your password and find something else to occupy your time.

Its a lot more enjoyable watching things go up, than coming down
    Originally posted by Murphy_The_Cat
    Remember it's just a blip and probably won't have any impact on your long term return compared to a scenario where it was a nice straight line at the correct market gradient.

Still it might have been cheaper to cancel the insurance and drive my car into a tree today. Yesterday it would have been cheaper to take my family's coins to the dump. Tomorrow it might be cheaper to burn all our clothes...

Alex
    Last edited by Alexland; 06-02-2018 at 1:25 PM.
    • atush
    • By atush 6th Feb 18, 3:11 PM
    • 16,636 Posts
    • 10,336 Thanks
    atush
    Well heres the thing, the way this is set up I dont fit.

I have some things I look at only yearly, esp things like Investment trusts I invest into monthly and have no intentions of selling any time soon Other things I look at monthly, sometimes more/somtimes less depending on markets etc. Somethings like Pensions, quarterly.
    • TBC15
    • By TBC15 6th Feb 18, 4:58 PM
    • 451 Posts
    • 211 Thanks
    TBC15
    Well heres the thing, the way this is set up I dont fit.

I have some things I look at only yearly, esp things like Investment trusts I invest into monthly and have no intentions of selling any time soon Other things I look at monthly, sometimes more/somtimes less depending on markets etc. Somethings like Pensions, quarterly.
    Originally posted by atush
    And in the last 24hrs did you have a sneak peek with just one eye, just out of idle curiosity?
    • atush
    • By atush 6th Feb 18, 6:00 PM
    • 16,636 Posts
    • 10,336 Thanks
    atush
    Nope. I did think if there was wanything i wanted to buy though lol. We have a lump sum to invest in pension before April.

And I am being 100% honest.
    • darkidoe
    • By darkidoe 8th Feb 18, 4:29 AM
    • 922 Posts
    • 1,071 Thanks
    darkidoe
    I log in once a month at least and track down the performance on a spreadsheet quarterly, if only to have some measure of performance. I haven't done anything stupid or unplanned so far to it which I hope will continue for the rest of my life. The act of logging in to check is probably already an act of temptation to fear, to greed, to be anxious.

Always a test to keep human foolishness at bay.

Save 12K in 2018 #31 0/15 000
    Save 12K in 2017 # 9 15,848.84/15 000 (105.65%) Achieved!
    Save 12K in 2016 # 8 19 721.58/12 000 (164.35%) Achieved!
    • ianthy
    • By ianthy 8th Feb 18, 11:28 AM
    • 110 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    ianthy
    Before the intro of online accounts and 24/7 info, it was a lot easier to be disciplined and not keep checking, I can recall having S&S PEPS and maybe checking annually when the statement arrived ... it was such a lovely surprise to see the new increased balance. After that I put the statement away and got on with living. Now I get weekly updates from Trustnet etc, which I don't really want to turn off.
    • worldtraveller
    • By worldtraveller 8th Feb 18, 11:36 AM
    • 11,676 Posts
    • 23,073 Thanks
    worldtraveller
    I have a "day trading" account, the constituents of which I monitor live all day using the ADVFN platform and where I tend to trade a few times a day.

My other investments, SIPP account & ISA account, I generally check daily.
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,135Posts Today

7,242Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr? https://t.co/B2ft5OS3Ig

• Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R? https://t.co/vi3hBxo4Hn

• Follow Martin