Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bcfclee27
    • By bcfclee27 3rd Feb 18, 9:27 AM
    • 179Posts
    • 45Thanks
    bcfclee27
    Timing the market
    • 3rd Feb 18, 9:27 AM
    Timing the market 3rd Feb 18 at 9:27 AM
    Over the next week or so I will be investing in VLS and HSBC.

However many predicting a crash is on the way.

I know the saying it's not timing the market but time in the market.

Is it worth holding off 12 months or is it literally a case of nobody knows when the crash is coming might be 4 months might be 4 years in which case I may well have missed out of 4 years growth.

Kinda answered my own question but as a newbie investor just wondered from more experienced investors would you hold off a bit or just dive in.

Thanks
Page 5
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 6th Feb 18, 6:51 PM
    • 58,192 Posts
    • 51,564 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    I thought the US sell off was influenced by Fridays better than expectd jobs report. Fearing wage inflation will mean higher interest rates?
    Originally posted by atush
    Perhaps the US sell off was exaggerated by computer driven trading. With 30% of US stocks held by mutual funds. Must be a factor when individual shares move signficantly up and down.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • Fatbritabroad
    • By Fatbritabroad 6th Feb 18, 8:16 PM
    • 343 Posts
    • 186 Thanks
    Fatbritabroad
    Market is starting to look a bit more attractive so just reduced my cash from 10% down to 9%. Still plenty left incase something unexpectedly bad happens.

Alex
    Originally posted by Alexland
    Can I check with people when you give % like this is this all the cash you have or do you hold your emergency fund separately? I've got everything but my emergency fund and a bit of p2p in equities as I'm 37 and won't need it for 20 years at least just wondered when people say O I'm waiting for a buying opportunity I assume you wouldn't put your emergency fund in?!
    • bostonerimus
    • By bostonerimus 6th Feb 18, 8:36 PM
    • 1,686 Posts
    • 1,087 Thanks
    bostonerimus
    Can I check with people when you give % like this is this all the cash you have or do you hold your emergency fund separately? I've got everything but my emergency fund and a bit of p2p in equities as I'm 37 and won't need it for 20 years at least just wondered when people say O I'm waiting for a buying opportunity I assume you wouldn't put your emergency fund in?!
    Originally posted by Fatbritabroad
    In my case my emergency fund is for emergencies and I don't class market volatility as an emergency. I stay fully invested all the time and don't bother with market timing.
    Misanthrope in search of similar for mutual loathing
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 6th Feb 18, 8:37 PM
    • 2,236 Posts
    • 1,630 Thanks
    Alexland
    Originally posted by Fatbritabroad
    No that's all in bank account balances (Flex Direct, etc) and various 5% easy access regular savers etc. I am talking about the cash in my workplace pension for which I get a modest return. To be honest I have never had an emergency that has required me to call upon cash unexpectedly.
    Last edited by Alexland; 06-02-2018 at 8:41 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,309Posts Today

8,524Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just a quick note. I've been overwhelmed by the strength of support by my campaign to stop facebook fake ads today? https://t.co/KexhjVVznY

• RT @mmhpi: On the eve of tomorrow's #RecoverySpace debate in parliament, we just delivered our 10,000 letters to the Chancellor. People in?

• Interesting piece yet they asked me if it was a publicity stunt and I said yes partially, in order to raise awarene? https://t.co/FdKcO1uMLx

• Follow Martin