Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Yorkshire Pud
    • By Yorkshire Pud 2nd Feb 18, 5:33 PM
    • 911Posts
    • 610Thanks
    Yorkshire Pud
    Amazon Platinum credit crd provided by New Day
    • 2nd Feb 18, 5:33 PM
    Amazon Platinum credit crd provided by New Day 2nd Feb 18 at 5:33 PM
    Have been with this bare bones operation for a few months now lured by a £30 gift voucher.

They don't provide paper statements.

Their CS are OK but recently I changed the account I nominated for a DD to payoff the balance in full. I had to payoff the balance there and then before that could be done so did so.

TodaynI got alettermsaying my DD has been cancelled and to make arrangements to pay off the card in future.

So my new DD I set up has been cancelled without me asking for this. It was set up I checked a few days ago, now its gone.

Is this typical of New Day Amazon credit cards service? Never had a DD cancelled before unless I asked for it.
Page 1
    • Credit Master
    • By Credit Master 2nd Feb 18, 6:43 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Credit Master
    • 2nd Feb 18, 6:43 PM
    • 2nd Feb 18, 6:43 PM
    Have been with this bare bones operation for a few months now lured by a £30 gift voucher.

They don't provide paper statements.

Their CS are OK but recently I changed the account I nominated for a DD to payoff the balance in full. I had to payoff the balance there and then before that could be done so did so.

TodaynI got alettermsaying my DD has been cancelled and to make arrangements to pay off the card in future.

So my new DD I set up has been cancelled without me asking for this. It was set up I checked a few days ago, now its gone.

Is this typical of New Day Amazon credit cards service? Never had a DD cancelled before unless I asked for it.
    Originally posted by Yorkshire Pud
    Opening a credit card account for the £30 voucher is not a clever move. You should never proceed unless satisfied with all aspects of the credit agreement offered to you.

You can request a paper statement - this is standardized across the industry. The provider can charge for this request - as the PDF digital format is perfectly capable of replicating the latter.

The Direct Debit cancellation could either be a simple clerical error on their part or the bank has refused the mandate issued to them. Either contact the bank or ask NewDay directly.

This is not "typical" of them - having used them in the past.
    • Yorkshire Pud
    • By Yorkshire Pud 2nd Feb 18, 7:48 PM
    • 911 Posts
    • 610 Thanks
    Yorkshire Pud
    • 2nd Feb 18, 7:48 PM
    • 2nd Feb 18, 7:48 PM
    Thanks for your thoughts.

They did set up the DD and it was showing in my banks list of direct debits two days ago when I checked.

Will phone New Day tomorrow.
    • Yorkshire Pud
    • By Yorkshire Pud 3rd Feb 18, 12:34 PM
    • 911 Posts
    • 610 Thanks
    Yorkshire Pud
    • 3rd Feb 18, 12:34 PM
    • 3rd Feb 18, 12:34 PM
    Phoned New Day who said no DD on my account and they don't know why it was cancelled. It was either by me or the bank. Setup new DD, same as before.

It wasn't me so phoned the bank who told me the DD was cancelled by the originator. The originator is New Day.

Hopefully a temporary blip but I will close the Amazon credit card account if any more problems.

New Day also confirmed that the Amazon credit card is online only and there is no option for a paper statement even if one was prepared to pay.
    • dazzaofdagenham
    • By dazzaofdagenham 3rd Feb 18, 2:06 PM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 386 Thanks
    dazzaofdagenham
    • 3rd Feb 18, 2:06 PM
    • 3rd Feb 18, 2:06 PM
    Opening a credit card account for the £30 voucher is not a clever move. You should never proceed unless satisfied with all aspects of the credit agreement offered to you.

You can request a paper statement - this is standardized across the industry. The provider can charge for this request - as the PDF digital format is perfectly capable of replicating the latter.

The Direct Debit cancellation could either be a simple clerical error on their part or the bank has refused the mandate issued to them. Either contact the bank or ask NewDay directly.

This is not "typical" of them - having used them in the past.
    Originally posted by Credit Master
    I disagree with your first sentence.

Lots of people open accounts or switch accounts for a benefit.

I also opened a amazon credit card account, alas only the classic card.
    Got a 20 pounds amazon voucher and no interest payments for 3 months.
    • Tiexen
    • By Tiexen 3rd Feb 18, 4:02 PM
    • 525 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    Tiexen
    • 3rd Feb 18, 4:02 PM
    • 3rd Feb 18, 4:02 PM
    And if you use it at Amazon you also get points (1000 gives a £10 voucher)
    • oldagetraveller
    • By oldagetraveller 3rd Feb 18, 4:08 PM
    • 3,121 Posts
    • 1,635 Thanks
    oldagetraveller
    • 3rd Feb 18, 4:08 PM
    • 3rd Feb 18, 4:08 PM
    "I disagree with your first sentence."
    Me too. Applied for the "Classic" card last year, instant approval and instant £20 discount off a £50 Amazon order. Well, they did keep pestering every time I placed an order!
    Didn't use the card, then a month later cancelled it. Only £20 but very acceptable.
    Did you hear about the politician who had a backside transplant? It rejected him.
    • adindas
    • By adindas 3rd Feb 18, 4:12 PM
    • 3,559 Posts
    • 2,207 Thanks
    adindas
    • 3rd Feb 18, 4:12 PM
    • 3rd Feb 18, 4:12 PM
    I disagree with your first sentence.

Lots of people open accounts or switch accounts for a benefit.

I also opened a amazon credit card account, alas only the classic card.
    Got a 20 pounds amazon voucher and no interest payments for 3 months.
    Originally posted by dazzaofdagenham
    This is subject to personal interpreation, but to me £30 is too cheap for a credit search which I could preserve it for a much better deal such as 2-3 Years 0% interest on Balance transfer with £0 fee.

Switching incentive of current account is £100+, not £30 let alone £30 is not cash but voucher. The exception if they have other feature thatyou like
    Last edited by adindas; 03-02-2018 at 4:16 PM.
    • dazzaofdagenham
    • By dazzaofdagenham 3rd Feb 18, 6:18 PM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 386 Thanks
    dazzaofdagenham
    • 3rd Feb 18, 6:18 PM
    • 3rd Feb 18, 6:18 PM
    And if you use it at Amazon you also get points (1000 gives a £10 voucher)
    Originally posted by Tiexen
    The classic card doesnít have that....just in case anybody didnít know
    • dazzaofdagenham
    • By dazzaofdagenham 3rd Feb 18, 6:21 PM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 386 Thanks
    dazzaofdagenham
    This is subject to personal interpreation, but to me £30 is too cheap for a credit search which I could preserve it for a much better deal such as 2-3 Years 0% interest on Balance transfer with £0 fee.

Switching incentive of current account is £100+, not £30 let alone £30 is not cash but voucher. The exception if they have other feature thatyou like
    Originally posted by adindas
    I suppose itís all dependant on your own financial circumstances at the time.

Personally I have no extra need for credit, but on this occasion a freebie 20 quid to spend on amazon and interest free for 3 months is ok..

I only have the classic card ( Iím a little bit sub prime ) so after a year if all is ok then they upgrade to platinum which is good for me.
    • adindas
    • By adindas 3rd Feb 18, 6:30 PM
    • 3,559 Posts
    • 2,207 Thanks
    adindas
    I suppose it!!!8217;s all dependant on your own financial circumstances at the time.

Personally I have no extra need for credit, but on this occasion a freebie 20 quid to spend on amazon and interest free for 3 months is ok..

I only have the classic card ( I!!!8217;m a little bit sub prime ) so after a year if all is ok then they upgrade to platinum which is good for me.
    Indeed but some people here want to get 0% interest interest on balance transfer not because they need credit card but for stoozing purposes.
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 3rd Feb 18, 11:12 PM
    • 2,209 Posts
    • 914 Thanks
    20aday
    The classic card doesnít have that....just in case anybody didnít know
    But if you make a purchase on it every month, pay the bill on time and don't exceed your credit limit then after 12 months they may upgrade you to the Amazon Rewards MasterCard.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
    • dazzaofdagenham
    • By dazzaofdagenham 4th Feb 18, 8:33 AM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 386 Thanks
    dazzaofdagenham
    But if you make a purchase on it every month, pay the bill on time and don't exceed your credit limit then after 12 months they may upgrade you to the Amazon Rewards MasterCard.
    Originally posted by 20aday
    I thought they WILL upgrade you to a platinum rather than MAY.

Will have to check paperwork
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 4th Feb 18, 9:45 AM
    • 1,310 Posts
    • 755 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    I think they may do it depending on your current circumstances.

Seeing as you couldn!!!8217;t get a platinum card to begin with
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 4th Feb 18, 10:06 AM
    • 1,524 Posts
    • 834 Thanks
    nic_c
    Applying for credit for the incentive isn't uncommon - look how many people switch bank accounts for the incentive, and it may be their main account.

For the OP, is it worth keeping the account open if it's not providing you with what you want. If its barebones with no paper statements and causing you hassle with cancelled DD's, is it worth keeping?

Sainsbury's credit card has a barebones online presence where everything is done via the paper statement, so mine is the opposite experience to yours as in a world where online banking is the norm it can be restricting to have to work to a paper statement for details.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 7th Feb 18, 3:56 PM
    • 3,675 Posts
    • 950 Thanks
    Anthorn
    Have been with this bare bones operation for a few months now lured by a £30 gift voucher..
    Originally posted by Yorkshire Pud
    How did you get a £30 voucher? I activated my Amazon Platinum card today and I only got a £10 gift voucher. Anyway, I'm not impressed: For a start I didn't get the purchase rate of 21.9% APR stated in the Amazon blurb, I got 24.9% APR and when I saw my credit limit on the letter my card was stuck to I exclaimed to myself, "What? Is that it? 500 quid?" The only consolation is that I get 0% APR on purchases for the first 3 months.

Really Amazon and New Day: Can't you do better than that?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/cobrandcard/marketing.html/ref=s9_acss_bw_cg_amsbbcla_1a1_w?pr=ukndplat&platt r=cbccamsbb&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=merchan dised-search-3&pf_rd_r=73Y2MGGSGEPXWSTK27CZ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p =8621a84a-7871-4ac7-9c0e-eca65290181b&pf_rd_i=367529031
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 7th Feb 18, 4:00 PM
    • 1,310 Posts
    • 755 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    The 21.9% APR is variable, as it states clearly on the page you've linked to.

The APR is dependent on the person applying for it.

It is a card from a sub-prime lender afterall - so in those terms £500 is a pretty average limit for a card of that nature
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 7th Feb 18, 4:12 PM
    • 3,675 Posts
    • 950 Thanks
    Anthorn
    The 21.9% APR is variable, as it states clearly on the page you've linked to.

The APR is dependent on the person applying for it.

It is a card from a sub-prime lender afterall - so in those terms £500 is a pretty average limit for a card of that nature
    Originally posted by Gary_Dexter
    Where did I say it's not variable? Quote and link please. The question is, is there any quoted APR anywhere which is not variable. Doesn't change the inescapable fact that a £500 limit is puny by anyone's standard and even minuscule when compared to my existing total limit of £32,235 across 3 credit cards.

I don't agree that New Day is primarily a sub-prime lender although they are known for their Aqua sub-prime credit cards. What about the store cards they operate? And are you in fact saying that the Amazon Platinum card is a sub-prime card? I would have thought the Amazon Classic would be the sub-prime card.

Overall your statements are ridiculous and don't stand up to scrutiny.

Anyway back to the subject: My Amazon Platinum is destined for cancellation and chopping up and being thrown in the bin which is the best place for it!
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 7th Feb 18, 4:22 PM
    • 1,310 Posts
    • 755 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    It says Variable on the link that you shared: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/cobrandcard/marketing.html/ref=s9_acss_bw_cg_amsbbcla_1a1_w?pr=ukndplat&platt %20%20r=cbccamsbb&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=m erchan%20%20dised-search-3&pf_rd_r=73Y2MGGSGEPXWSTK27CZ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p %20%20=8621a84a-7871-4ac7-9c0e-eca65290181b&pf_rd_i=367529031

APR's are always variable.

Regarding the limit, you could have an immaculate credit file/history and a fictiocious top-marks score all round, with cards in the 5 figure credit mark, but this card will still only offer you a limit likely south of £1000.

Maybe you should have researched the card and the provider a bit more before applying
    • A4445
    • By A4445 7th Feb 18, 5:04 PM
    • 769 Posts
    • 354 Thanks
    A4445
    When you apply for the Card as your going through the application it does clearly state the APR that they offer, and it also gives you the option to decline the application if you get higher than the advertised rate.

I do agree their credit limits are poor they only gave me £700 but I do have a lot of available credit so it was expected they would give a low limit.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,615Posts Today

6,798Users online

Martin's Twitter