Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bargepole
    • By bargepole 2nd Feb 18, 2:09 PM
    • 2,258Posts
    • 6,566Thanks
    bargepole
    Parking (Code of Practice) Bill - Passed by MPs
    • 2nd Feb 18, 2:09 PM
    Parking (Code of Practice) Bill - Passed by MPs 2nd Feb 18 at 2:09 PM
    I decided to watch this on TV rather than queue up at the HoC.

Sir Greg Knight pulled no punches when he read out some examples of why this Bill is needed. He also made it clear that the new mandatory CoP will force operators to refer dispute to a genuinely independent appeals service, which suggests that the days of POPLA and IAS are numbered.

The debate started off by talking about ‘rogue operators’, but then some names were mentioned as worst cases – Parking Eye, UKPC, Smart, DRP, Premier Parking Solutions, and NGPM. PE were singled out as being particularly aggressive in hospital parking scenarios.

Lots of comments about systems set up to fail – unclear signage, pay machines not working, machines which accept registration numbers of cars not in the car park, etc. Also ‘fake fines’ were mentioned.

It was also said that there are certain solicitors, and Gladstones and BW Legal were mentioned, operating a ‘robo-claim’ system. The link between the IPC and Gladstones was mentioned, as was the changing of names of Directors to try and hide this.

All sides of the house – Cons, Lab and SNP - are in favour of the Bill.

Some great quotes:

“These people are the John Wayne of the cowboys”

“The BPA are as much use as a multi-storey car park in the Gobi Desert”

“This Bill will mark the beginning of the end of these parasites”

“This industry is like putting Dracula in charge of the blood bank”

“Any trade association found to be encouraging its members to breach the Code, will have its approved status rescinded”

The Ayes have it, no dissenting voices, and the Bill now moves on to third reading and committee stages.
    Speeding cases fought: 24 (3 of mine, 21 for others). Cases won: 20. Points on licence: 0. Private Parking Court Cases: Won 32. Lost 10.
Page 4
    • Computersaysno
    • By Computersaysno 6th Feb 18, 2:37 PM
    • 928 Posts
    • 719 Thanks
    Computersaysno
    He won't resign because if he hangs in there and simply gets de-selected he still qualifies for his £35k 'relocation' allowance and his £50k 'closing the office' allowance.

Oh and his golden pension.....final salary based obviously as that's the most generous!!!
    Welcome to the world of 'Protect the brand at the cost of free speech'
    • waamo
    • By waamo 6th Feb 18, 2:44 PM
    • 2,989 Posts
    • 3,850 Thanks
    waamo
    He won't resign because if he hangs in there and simply gets de-selected he still qualifies for his £35k 'relocation' allowance and his £50k 'closing the office' allowance.

Oh and his golden pension.....final salary based obviously as that's the most generous!!!
    Originally posted by Computersaysno
    He is probably feeling very tired and emotional over his problems.
    This space for hire.
    • StaffsSW
    • By StaffsSW 6th Feb 18, 3:17 PM
    • 5,443 Posts
    • 5,541 Thanks
    StaffsSW
    Sheffield Hallam MP Jared O'Mara has returned to work - one day after The Yorkshire Post revealed he had not been turning up at his constituency office. (17/01/2018)

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/mp-jared-o-mara-returning-to-work-with-immediate-effect-after-yorkshire-post-expose-1-8962351
    Originally posted by Timothea
    He was very rarely seen prior to "going of sick"... and I've been unable to make a constituents appoitment with him since he allegedly resumed his duties - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-42718283

Anyway - back to parking matters...
    <--- Nothing to see here - move along --->
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 7th Feb 18, 11:18 PM
    • 56,112 Posts
    • 69,778 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Which 'interested stakeholders' do you have in mind?

My preferred interested stakeholders are the BMPA, and I would hope that Caroline Sheppard (and Henry Greenslade if he gets his oar in) will be preferred as experts, not the BPA and their ''cowboy''* private firm members with their shoddy money-grabbing, consumer-suing agenda.

- What do you think of BPA members who sue ordinary members of the public, logician?

- What do you think about companies who extort money from people but provide no service?

I detest and despise them, and the sooner such sharks are out of business, the better.

*Parliamentary debate word from MPs.
    Originally posted by Coupon-mad

I didn't get any answers to the 2 questions, I see.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• ixworth
    • By ixworth 8th Feb 18, 10:11 AM
    • 52 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    ixworth
    I can only suggest NCP from my own experiences of dealing with them, and that their business model is almost exclusively barrier controlled, pay on exit, means it is very hard to get a ticket. Even their railway car parks that I deal with are generally well managed and problem free.

I also thought that Intu retail were members of the BPA, but it seems not.

I don't think I'll bother trying to contact my local MP, Jared O'Mara, to ensure he is supporting the bill - nobody has seen him in months, or at least outside of the local student bars.
    Originally posted by StaffsSW

NCP are no better than any of the others. They get their fair share of fluttering tickets, double-dips, incorrectly entered reg numbers, Ringo/Dash problems, parking [just] outside of bays etc. They still regularly reject appeals without apparently reading them. Then follow this up with robo-responses to POPLA which are then upheld by assessors there who do not take the time to consider the facts either.
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 8th Feb 18, 10:19 AM
    • 9,027 Posts
    • 8,693 Thanks
    The Deep
    Was it not NCP who copped about £80,000 in damages for clamping someone?
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 8th Feb 18, 10:24 AM
    • 17,259 Posts
    • 27,176 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Was it not NCP who copped about £80,000 in damages for clamping someone?
    Originally posted by The Deep
    And the rest ........

Mr Nigel Barrington-Fuller (and some of his family) were later declared bankrupt!
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 8th Feb 18, 10:28 AM
    • 9,027 Posts
    • 8,693 Thanks
    The Deep
    Nice one

http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/2017/11/ex-tower-nigel-barrington-fuller-made.html
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • logician
    • By logician 13th Feb 18, 1:00 AM
    • 194 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    logician
    An interesting feature of all this, was the fact that despite all their lobbying, the BPA et al could not find a single one of the 650 MPs to oppose the second reading of the Bill.

Originally posted by bargepole

I am glad to see that Giles Watling took part of this thread fame

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5725219&highlight=

Originally posted by logician
    And his was what I thought was the worst contribution. Wanting local councils to be the ones to monitor the operations of private car park operators at car parks in their area. What could possibly go wrong with that.

Originally posted by Johno100
    Actually that is not what he said at all, he was supporting the bill and Code of Practice, and making the observation this should be properly administered as it would be too much of a burden if local councils had to manage all car parks.

He also highlighted Smart Parking - misleading signs/terms
    Entrapment when motorists entered and left a car park monitored by ANPR
    and the activities of DRP

I actually think all the MPs made valid points, given that there were less than 30 out of 650 who were present.
    • Johno100
    • By Johno100 13th Feb 18, 8:46 AM
    • 3,667 Posts
    • 4,246 Thanks
    Johno100
    Actually that is not what he said at all, he was supporting the bill and Code of Practice, and making the observation this should be properly administered as it would be too much of a burden if local councils had to manage all car parks.
    Originally posted by logician
    It is a good job we have Hansard so there is no doubt as to what was said.

Yes Mr. Watling did start by saying.

It is an honour to follow the hon. Member for Perth and North Perthshire (Pete Wishart). As a touring actor for 45 years, I picked up tickets all over the country, including in his area. It is my pleasure to support the Bill proposed by my right hon. Friend the Member for East Yorkshire (Sir Greg Knight). His proposal for a code of practice sets exactly the right tone. No one is seeking over-intrusive regulation of the private parking market, because there is nothing fundamentally wrong with it if it is run properly and with oversight and consideration. Private parking is a legitimate industry that is vital to economic activity in some areas, and overregulation would put a burden on local authorities, and therefore on the taxpayer, if they had to administer and maintain all the car parks themselves.
    But he then went on to say.

Clause 6 of the Bill covers the delegation of functions, and would give the Secretary of State the power to

“enter into an agreement with another public authority authorising the authority to perform any of the functions listed in subsection (2).”

In my mind, that means local councils are in the best place to lead the charge. After all, councils already administer their own municipal car parks, and are experienced in having to balance the needs of the local community, including those of small businesses, parents on the school run and so on. They have the bedrock of skill, experience and local knowledge that can really help to tackle some of the outrageous abuses that we are seeing.
    https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commons/2018-02-02/debates/CC84AF5E-AC6E-4E14-81B1-066E6A892807/Parking(CodeOfPractice)Bill

If that isn't advocating putting local councils at the forefront of monitoring and enforcing any code of practice then I don't know what it is.
    • IamEmanresu
    • By IamEmanresu 13th Feb 18, 9:10 AM
    • 2,252 Posts
    • 3,992 Thanks
    IamEmanresu
    If that isn't advocating putting local councils at the forefront of monitoring and enforcing any code of practice then I don't know what it is.
    Or perhaps it is hinting at using the TEC in the same way as councils do - a key strategy for British Parking since 2012.

Also the quid pro quo for "behaving" is likely to be an attempt to introduce "Keeper Liability" throughout the UK with Peter Wishart MSP leading the charge.

It's all window dressing.
    Idiots please note: If you intend NOT to read the information on the Notice of Allocation and hand a simple win to the knuckle dragging ex-clampers, then don't waste people's time with questions on a claim you'll not defend.
    • Castle
    • By Castle 13th Feb 18, 9:23 AM
    • 1,635 Posts
    • 2,192 Thanks
    Castle
    Or perhaps it is hinting at using the TEC in the same way as councils do - a key strategy for British Parking since 2012.

Also the quid pro quo for "behaving" is likely to be an attempt to introduce "Keeper Liability" throughout the UK with Peter Wishart MSP leading the charge.

It's all window dressing.
    Originally posted by IamEmanresu
    Different person, different party and different parliament:-
    http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/2017/12/murdo-fraser-msp-introduces-proposed.html
    • Johno100
    • By Johno100 13th Feb 18, 9:41 AM
    • 3,667 Posts
    • 4,246 Thanks
    Johno100
    http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/2017/12/murdo-fraser-msp-introduces-proposed.html
    Originally posted by Castle
    Yes, his Trojan horse bill is likely to bring keeper liability to Scotland if not stopped.

NI seems like a lost cause when an elected official has his vehicle clamped on private land and the biggest point of contention is the fact he took bolt cutters to it.
    • IamEmanresu
    • By IamEmanresu 13th Feb 18, 10:07 AM
    • 2,252 Posts
    • 3,992 Thanks
    IamEmanresu
    Thanks Castle. Perhaps I should add that politicians are all a bunch of money grabbing shysters that make the PPC's look like amateurs.
    Idiots please note: If you intend NOT to read the information on the Notice of Allocation and hand a simple win to the knuckle dragging ex-clampers, then don't waste people's time with questions on a claim you'll not defend.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,135Posts Today

7,242Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr? https://t.co/B2ft5OS3Ig

• Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R? https://t.co/vi3hBxo4Hn

• Follow Martin