Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bargepole
    • By bargepole 2nd Feb 18, 2:09 PM
    • 2,262Posts
    • 6,572Thanks
    bargepole
    Parking (Code of Practice) Bill - Passed by MPs
    • 2nd Feb 18, 2:09 PM
    Parking (Code of Practice) Bill - Passed by MPs 2nd Feb 18 at 2:09 PM
    I decided to watch this on TV rather than queue up at the HoC.

Sir Greg Knight pulled no punches when he read out some examples of why this Bill is needed. He also made it clear that the new mandatory CoP will force operators to refer dispute to a genuinely independent appeals service, which suggests that the days of POPLA and IAS are numbered.

The debate started off by talking about ‘rogue operators’, but then some names were mentioned as worst cases – Parking Eye, UKPC, Smart, DRP, Premier Parking Solutions, and NGPM. PE were singled out as being particularly aggressive in hospital parking scenarios.

Lots of comments about systems set up to fail – unclear signage, pay machines not working, machines which accept registration numbers of cars not in the car park, etc. Also ‘fake fines’ were mentioned.

It was also said that there are certain solicitors, and Gladstones and BW Legal were mentioned, operating a ‘robo-claim’ system. The link between the IPC and Gladstones was mentioned, as was the changing of names of Directors to try and hide this.

All sides of the house – Cons, Lab and SNP - are in favour of the Bill.

Some great quotes:

“These people are the John Wayne of the cowboys”

“The BPA are as much use as a multi-storey car park in the Gobi Desert”

“This Bill will mark the beginning of the end of these parasites”

“This industry is like putting Dracula in charge of the blood bank”

“Any trade association found to be encouraging its members to breach the Code, will have its approved status rescinded”

The Ayes have it, no dissenting voices, and the Bill now moves on to third reading and committee stages.
    Speeding cases fought: 24 (3 of mine, 21 for others). Cases won: 20. Points on licence: 0. Private Parking Court Cases: Won 32. Lost 10.
Page 3
    • bargepole
    • By bargepole 3rd Feb 18, 5:55 PM
    • 2,262 Posts
    • 6,572 Thanks
    bargepole
    The BPA support the bill because they think they'll get to write the new CoP.
    Originally posted by kryten3000
    I believe Caroline Sheppard has other ideas.

Some BPA members were mentioned during the debate, as examples of the worst offenders.

The Government were hoodwinked by the BPA in the lead up to POFA 2012 becoming law. They aren't about to fall for the same trick twice.
    Speeding cases fought: 24 (3 of mine, 21 for others). Cases won: 20. Points on licence: 0. Private Parking Court Cases: Won 32. Lost 10.
    • steve1500
    • By steve1500 3rd Feb 18, 5:57 PM
    • 1,005 Posts
    • 666 Thanks
    steve1500
    Anyone who has ever been ripped off by a company should add to the bad reviews on TrustPilot.

For example, here's ParkingEye:

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.parkingeye.co.uk

Trading Standards should also be contacted by victims of companies who take money for no service.
    Originally posted by Coupon-mad

How did they get 3% excellent or is that just a completely stupid question.

I bet the DVLA can't wait for GDPR to come into force on 26th May - Not
    Private Parking Tickets - Make sure you put your Subject Access Request in after 25th May - It's free & ask for everything, don't forget the DVLA
    • logician
    • By logician 3rd Feb 18, 7:29 PM
    • 194 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    logician
    An interesting feature of all this, was the fact that despite all their lobbying, the BPA et al could not find a single one of the 650 MPs to oppose the second reading of the Bill.
    Originally posted by bargepole
    I believe Caroline Sheppard has other ideas.
    Originally posted by bargepole
    Is this the same Caroline Sheppard who sits on PTAS tribunals for council issued penalties?

By all accounts a fair lady.

However, the BPA supported the bill .

No doubt interested stakeholders will be contacted in the drafting of any code of practice.

The COP is not be problem - it will be the strict enforcement of such a Code.

I do hope that provision will also be put in place that PPCs will need to obtain Advertising and any planning permissions before commencing any ticket issuing
    Last edited by logician; 03-02-2018 at 8:27 PM.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 4th Feb 18, 1:18 AM
    • 56,275 Posts
    • 69,906 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    the BPA supported the bill.

No doubt interested stakeholders will be contacted in the drafting of any code of practice.
    Which 'interested stakeholders' do you have in mind?

My preferred interested stakeholders are the BMPA, and I would hope that Caroline Sheppard (and Henry Greenslade if he gets his oar in) will be preferred as experts, not the BPA and their ''cowboy''* private firm members with their shoddy money-grabbing, consumer-suing agenda.

- What do you think of BPA members who sue ordinary members of the public, logician?

- What do you think about companies who extort money from people but provide no service?

I detest and despise them, and the sooner such sharks are out of business, the better.

*Parliamentary debate word from MPs.
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 04-02-2018 at 1:25 AM.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 4th Feb 18, 3:38 PM
    • 56,275 Posts
    • 69,906 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    How did they get 3% excellent or is that just a completely stupid question.
    Originally posted by steve1500
    We know that some disreputable firms try to disguise appalling TrustPilot reviews, with fake ones.
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!

• catfunt
    • By catfunt 4th Feb 18, 4:57 PM
    • 606 Posts
    • 929 Thanks
    catfunt
    And also partly because their stance is that a single C-o-P would help stop them losing members to the IPC, as PPCs shamelessly forum-shopped.
    Got a Private Parking Notice??
    ** Do Not Pay
    ** Do Not Ignore a Notice to Keeper (except Scotland)
    ** Do not mention who was driving (No "Me" Myself" "I")
    ** Never, ever phone a Private Parking Company
    ** Please read the NEWBIES thread at the top of the forum
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 4th Feb 18, 5:08 PM
    • 8,706 Posts
    • 9,295 Thanks
    pappa golf
    please can we remember , and comments about the "RAC" are actually for the rac foundation , a charitable trust , with not a lot of say https://www.racfoundation.org/media-centre/ministers-back-parking-firm-clamp-down
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
    • Johno100
    • By Johno100 4th Feb 18, 5:12 PM
    • 3,669 Posts
    • 4,247 Thanks
    Johno100
    And also partly because their stance is that a single C-o-P would help stop them losing members to the IPC, as PPCs shamelessly forum-shopped.
    Originally posted by catfunt
    That was my first cynical thought. I'm sure the BPA would like to see the IPC legislated out of existence or at the very least, in their eyes, a more even playing field be put in place.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 4th Feb 18, 5:12 PM
    • 56,275 Posts
    • 69,906 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    The BPA:

''As the leading authority in the sector we shall continue to work closely with Government and key stakeholders to press for progress towards a positive outcome for all''.

I can't even type the words I want to say to that misleading tripe.

BPA hang your heads in shame. You are NOT the 'leading authority' on anything, except how to blatantly lie to Government about the number of court claims, in order to push through the POFA in 2012.

• pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 4th Feb 18, 5:23 PM
    • 8,706 Posts
    • 9,295 Thanks
    pappa golf
    the BPA are a joke , not fit for ,,,,,,,,,

information given to the general public is in may case FALSE and FAKE

they are supposed to be the "authority" on private parking ???

ok recent one from them

spot the flaws in there statement , you can stop at number ten

Thank you for your email.

I can see that in this instance, the charge was issued for a breach of the advertised terms and conditions by on privately owned Railway land. Charges issued on Railway land are referred to as Penalty Charge Notices because they will have been issued under railway Byelaws as well. Whilst I am sorry to learn if you were unhappy with the outcome of the appeal, it is not something I can address. The BPA has no authority to intervene in the appeals process.

As the charge has been issued on railway land, then please be be advised that the BPA has temporarily removed the requirement for our members to provide a POPLA verification Code when an appeal is rejected. This is due to complaints being made that POPLA are not able to oversee appeals made where railway Byelaws are concerned. Until a solution is found, if a motorist remains unhappy following an appeal!!!8217;s rejection, they can appeal further via a Magistrates Court; our Code from which you have quoted does not reflect this at the moment as the decision is temporary. Unfortunately, as we cannot advise you how long the requirement will remain lifted, you will now need to use the Magistrate!!!8217;s Court to appeal further.

The British Parking Association (BPA) has campaigned at length for clarity on the clauses in Railway Byelaws pertaining to parking to be improved, and the Government committed at a meeting in January to provide clarification but due to various circumstances, some beyond their control, this has not been forthcoming. In the meantime we will continue to work with Government to achieve a resolution to Railway Byelaws Clauses.

Please also be aware that when a charge remains unpaid, then in due course it will be escalated to debt recovery. This is standard procedure. The cost of the charge can increase as the debt collection agency add on their costs. With that in mind, I would suggest that you now either pay the charges, or seek legal advice to contest it via Magistrates court.

I hope this information is of use.
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 4th Feb 18, 6:01 PM
    • 17,322 Posts
    • 27,294 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    As the charge has been issued on railway land, then please be be advised that the BPA has temporarily removed the requirement for our members to provide a POPLA verification Code when an appeal is rejected. This is due to complaints being made that POPLA are not able to oversee appeals made where railway Byelaws are concerned. Until a solution is found, if a motorist remains unhappy following an appeal!!!8217;s rejection, they can appeal further via a Magistrates Court; our Code from which you have quoted does not reflect this at the moment as the decision is temporary. Unfortunately, as we cannot advise you how long the requirement will remain lifted, you will now need to use the Magistrates Court to appeal further.
    Time to write to the DVLA and ask how one goes about this! Utter bull excrement.

You do not appeal at the Mags Court, you are prosecuted there under criminal law!
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Redx
    • By Redx 5th Feb 18, 2:33 PM
    • 17,818 Posts
    • 22,465 Thanks
    Redx
    prankster has now blogged about the MP`s debate last friday

https://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/2018/02/
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 5th Feb 18, 2:52 PM
    • 9,064 Posts
    • 8,761 Thanks
    The Deep
    Who are these parking companies who behave responsibly? Name and acclaim.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 5th Feb 18, 3:02 PM
    • 7,178 Posts
    • 9,501 Thanks
    beamerguy
    Originally posted by The Deep
    I wondered that ????? None that I know of
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 5th Feb 18, 11:09 PM
    • 56,275 Posts
    • 69,906 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Good point. I cannot think of any.

• Redx
    • By Redx 5th Feb 18, 11:20 PM
    • 17,818 Posts
    • 22,465 Thanks
    Redx
    agreed, I went through the 2 AOS lists and could not spot ONE, not ONE
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • muleskinner
    • By muleskinner 6th Feb 18, 8:25 AM
    • 109 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    muleskinner
    I have now watched this in its entirety - watched most of it with a beer over the w/e, more entertaining than regular telly.

Surprised that PPM haven't come up in the 'name and shame' lists but maybe they're too small.

It was most heartening to see MPs from all sides of the house speaking up for their constituents without any underlying political agenda. A rarity.

The only thing I felt disappointing was the creedence given to the BPA by many of the MPs and the focus on a CoP without hammering home the fact that if you don't enforce the CoP like the !!!!!!! son of Judge Dredd and Robocop then, frankly, it's going to be about as much use as a chocolate teapot.
    • StaffsSW
    • By StaffsSW 6th Feb 18, 10:00 AM
    • 5,443 Posts
    • 5,541 Thanks
    StaffsSW
    I can only suggest NCP from my own experiences of dealing with them, and that their business model is almost exclusively barrier controlled, pay on exit, means it is very hard to get a ticket. Even their railway car parks that I deal with are generally well managed and problem free.

I also thought that Intu retail were members of the BPA, but it seems not.

I don't think I'll bother trying to contact my local MP, Jared O'Mara, to ensure he is supporting the bill - nobody has seen him in months, or at least outside of the local student bars.
    <--- Nothing to see here - move along --->
    • Castle
    • By Castle 6th Feb 18, 11:00 AM
    • 1,641 Posts
    • 2,203 Thanks
    Castle
    I don't think I'll bother trying to contact my local MP, Jared O'Mara, to ensure he is supporting the bill - nobody has seen him in months, or at least outside of the local student bars.
    Originally posted by StaffsSW
    This could have something to do with that:-
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42336727
    • Timothea
    • By Timothea 6th Feb 18, 12:55 PM
    • 160 Posts
    • 309 Thanks
    Timothea
    Sheffield Hallam MP Jared O'Mara has returned to work - one day after The Yorkshire Post revealed he had not been turning up at his constituency office. (17/01/2018)

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/mp-jared-o-mara-returning-to-work-with-immediate-effect-after-yorkshire-post-expose-1-8962351
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

146Posts Today

2,429Users online

Martin's Twitter