Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • needtechelp
    • By needtechelp 2nd Feb 18, 10:13 AM
    • 39Posts
    • 12Thanks
    needtechelp
    Britannia PCN
    • 2nd Feb 18, 10:13 AM
    Britannia PCN 2nd Feb 18 at 10:13 AM
    Posted in another thread, but now posted here:

A family member has received the same kind of letter from Britannia.

No ticket was on the car.

Only just received the FINAL REMINDER.

Location of the contravention though states the name of a public road but it does not state the actual contravention. Date is some time in December.

They do not recall having gone into a car park - however car owner is a blue badge holder

So the template letter which disputes signage etc would not seem relevant.

Should they add a line stating that contravention never occurred.

Should they just send the letter, as is, and just wait for them to come back?

Coupon_Mad advised to send the template as it is and not to say the contravention did not occur.

So thank you so far.

Having logged into the website it is telling them they are unable to appeal this charge at this time - is this because too much time has elapsed and the discounted period has elapsed? Bearing in mind this is the first correspondence they have had in relation to this.

I think I recall it says somewhere to avoid posting.

What should they do?
Page 2
    • needtechelp
    • By needtechelp 2nd Feb 18, 7:44 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    needtechelp
    ok ask for pics
    Originally posted by pappa golf
    Will do - it's in the template.

Would you also include a copy of the blue badge?
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 2nd Feb 18, 7:49 PM
    • 8,706 Posts
    • 9,307 Thanks
    pappa golf
    Will do - it's in the template.

Would you also include a copy of the blue badge?
    Originally posted by needtechelp
    blue badges have little meaning when used in conjunction with private parking , they can have free parking or special places or whatever they want , most are NOT free for blue badge

however they must make adjustments for anyone that comes under "equality" rules
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
    • needtechelp
    • By needtechelp 2nd Feb 18, 7:58 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    needtechelp
    blue badges have little meaning when used in conjunction with private parking , they can have free parking or special places or whatever they want , most are NOT free for blue badge

however they must make adjustments for anyone that comes under "equality" rules
    Originally posted by pappa golf
    As long as it doesn't harm their appeal I'll tell them to include

Thanks for all your help so far
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 2nd Feb 18, 8:03 PM
    • 35,549 Posts
    • 19,748 Thanks
    Quentin
    The whole idea behind the template appeal is that it's designed to get you a popla code.

Any change is at your own risk - in particular do not reveal who was driving! (You say the "owner" is the BB holder!)
    • needtechelp
    • By needtechelp 2nd Feb 18, 8:11 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    needtechelp
    The whole idea behind the template appeal is that it's designed to get you a popla code.

Any change is at your own risk - in particular do not reveal who was driving! (You say the "owner" is the BB holder!)
    Originally posted by Quentin

The registered keeper is the BB holder.

The template says it can be included - but if you don't think it is necessary I'll tell them not to.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 2nd Feb 18, 9:32 PM
    • 57,301 Posts
    • 70,914 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Include it but say 'an occupant of the car was displaying a blue badge and this appeared to be public highway. Please explain why the so-called PCN was issued to a BB holder on a public road'.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• needtechelp
    • By needtechelp 3rd Feb 18, 8:35 AM
    • 39 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    needtechelp
    Include it but say 'an occupant of the car was displaying a blue badge and this appeared to be public highway. Please explain why the so-called PCN was issued to a BB holder on a public road'.
    Originally posted by Coupon-mad
    Thanks Coupon-Mad.

Ok - I'll get them to include it and add the line you state:'an occupant of the car was displaying a blue badge and this appeared to be public highway. Please explain why the so-called PCN was issued to a BB holder on a public road'

Having read your lengthy NEWBIE sticky - which is of great assistance - I came across the part that states you should receive it within 14 days for non windscreen PCN.

But they have never received any PCN - just this Final Reminder.

Nevermind - I understand this letter (which they will have to post Signed For Delivery as they are not able to use the online appeal page on the website) is a mechanism to get the POPLA and the photos, but just concerned Britannia will refuse their letter.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 3rd Feb 18, 10:19 AM
    • 35,549 Posts
    • 19,748 Thanks
    Quentin
    Don't use signed for delivery!

As advised earlier (#10) get a proof of posting from the post office when handing it in

(Recipients of "signed for" items can refuse to accept them, and the tracking number will prove that the item wasn't delivered)
    Last edited by Quentin; 03-02-2018 at 10:31 AM.
    • needtechelp
    • By needtechelp 3rd Feb 18, 12:14 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    needtechelp
    In that case post it and get a certificate of posting from the post office.
    Originally posted by Quentin
    Ah ok - sorry I misunderstood.

I thought the signed for tracking slip etc would have been the proof of postage.

But instead you want them to send normal first class, and ask counter staff for proof of postage - is that correct?
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 3rd Feb 18, 12:21 PM
    • 57,301 Posts
    • 70,914 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Exactly, guess why...

Think about what happens when the PO offers a scammer a chance to refuse to sign for post?
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!

• needtechelp
    • By needtechelp 3rd Feb 18, 12:28 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    needtechelp
    Exactly, guess why...

Think about what happens when the PO offers a scammer a chance to refuse to sign for post?
    Yep - point taken

Thank you Coupon-mad & Quentin you have been a great help.

It's so frustrating that people have to waste so much time getting these things rectified.

What is more worrying, is that probably many people will pay these scam PCNs when they don't have to, as they feel so intimidated by the tactics of these firms!

The letter will be in the post on Monday - with not normal signature on it!
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 3rd Feb 18, 12:31 PM
    • 57,301 Posts
    • 70,914 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Make sure the sender knows not to just pop to the local post box. Certificate of posting must be kept and is free, a little receipt. I tend to staple it to a copy of the letter sent, so it can't get lost.

• needtechelp
    • By needtechelp 3rd Feb 18, 12:34 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    needtechelp
    Make sure the sender knows not to just pop to the local post box. Certificate of posting must be kept and is free, a little receipt. I tend to staple it to a copy of the letter sent, so it can't get lost.
    Will do - thanks
    • needtechelp
    • By needtechelp 12th Mar 18, 1:53 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    needtechelp
    Right - they have now received the letter from Britannia.

Britannia say the notice was correctly issued.

Britannia issued a POPLA code.

Their letter answers the 4 points of the template letter.

However photos attached however are of the location of the alleged contravention. They are not of the vehicle on the date of the contravention - they say to revert back to the original PCN - BUT they never received any original PCN!!

So we are none the wiser to exact location of car as we have no pictures.

What are their next steps?

Thanks
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 12th Mar 18, 1:58 PM
    • 7,136 Posts
    • 6,586 Thanks
    KeithP
    What are their next steps?
    Originally posted by needtechelp
    It's back to the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread - but surely you knew that?

This time read post #3 and compile your PoPLA appeal.
    • needtechelp
    • By needtechelp 12th Mar 18, 4:07 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    needtechelp
    It's back to the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread - but surely you knew that?

This time read post #3 and compile your PoPLA appeal.
    Originally posted by KeithP
    Hi KeithP

Thanks for that.

I have to be honest I am getting a little lost with the numerous links to various parts on this forum connected with this and probably clicking on the wrong areas.

Are you able to cut and paste the start of #3 so I can locate the correct paragraph?

My family members are really quite upset by the whole thing and being dismissed like this. They never received an original PCN, never got any photos, and have not received them now - so they still do not know what they are appealing against and why!

Thanks for any guidance.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 12th Mar 18, 5:15 PM
    • 7,136 Posts
    • 6,586 Thanks
    KeithP
    If you go back from here, use your browser's back button, you will see a thread entitled:

**NEWBIES!! PRIVATE PARKING TICKET? OLD OR NEW? **READ THESE FAQS FIRST!** Thankyou!

That's the thread you are looking for. It's currently the third thread in the list, but it is always going to be one of the first four threads.

Scroll down to the third post on that thread. The first line of that post is:
    SECOND STAGE APPEAL - POPLA OR IAS
    • needtechelp
    • By needtechelp 12th Mar 18, 5:33 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    needtechelp
    If you go back from here, use your browser's back button, you will see a thread entitled:

**NEWBIES!! PRIVATE PARKING TICKET? OLD OR NEW? **READ THESE FAQS FIRST!** Thankyou!

That's the thread you are looking for. It's currently the third thread in the list, but it is always going to be one of the first four threads.

Scroll down to the third post on that thread. The first line of that post is:
    Originally posted by KeithP

Perfect - thank you.

I'll start reading through that.
    • needtechelp
    • By needtechelp 12th Mar 18, 6:35 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    needtechelp
    Right - so I think I have found various templates VS Parking Eye.

So I guess I can do a cut and paste job for them inserting Britannia where relevant.

The main problem I have is that not having received the original PCN we do not know time and location - no pictures/photos etc.

So difficult to know what lighting was like etc. If driver was sat in the car waiting for return of passenger?

But it looks like proper guidelines and timescales were not followed as per POFA - date of Final Reminder received was 40 days after date of alleged contravention in December.

Would that have given enough time for original PCN etc to have been issued and then follow-ups issued?
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 12th Mar 18, 6:39 PM
    • 57,301 Posts
    • 70,914 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Why not just find a Britannia one someone wrote earlier, by searching Britannia POPLA and changing the default to SHOW POSTS?

Search the forum is how to see the huge iceberg underneath the tiny snippets you've seen. The information here is VAST and just waiting for you to search & find one.

Just don't bother to read the one by doubled whatsisname who lost at POPLA and now thinks he *must pay* (depressing when people think that, they are WRONG).

But it looks like proper guidelines and timescales were not followed as per POFA - date of Final Reminder received was 40 days after date of alleged contravention in December.
    What makes you think that is not compliant? Was there a windscreen PCN?

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,535Posts Today

6,580Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin