Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 2nd Feb 18, 9:54 AM
    • 5,289Posts
    • 7,420Thanks
    deannatrois
    Help. Pip assessment person arrived early
    • 2nd Feb 18, 9:54 AM
    Help. Pip assessment person arrived early 2nd Feb 18 at 9:54 AM
    Pip asssessment booked for 10-12. Social worker not here yet who was going to support me.

Assessor said it didnt matter when she turned up. Then it turns out she's terrified of dogs of which I have two. Put them in the bedroom for now.

She's gone outside to wait til 10 oclock but feel like this is really bad. Stressed before, really bad now. God knows if support worker will turn up on time.

I think I will just have to cancel my PIP application. This is just not going to go well.

Please help I am freaking out, on my own here. No support at all.
Page 1
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 2nd Feb 18, 9:56 AM
    • 29,117 Posts
    • 74,425 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 2nd Feb 18, 9:56 AM
    • 2nd Feb 18, 9:56 AM
    Pip asssessment booked for 10-12. Social worker not here yet who was going to support me.

Assessor said it didnt matter when she turned up. Then it turns out she's terrified of dogs of which I have two. Put them in the bedroom for now.

She's gone outside to wait til 10 oclock but feel like this is really bad. Stressed before, really bad now. God knows if support worker will turn up on time.

I think I will just have to cancel my PIP application. This is just not going to go well.
    Originally posted by deannatrois
    Won't the assessors seeing how difficult this is for you confirm your need for PIP?
    • w06
    • By w06 2nd Feb 18, 10:31 AM
    • 531 Posts
    • 798 Thanks
    w06
    • 2nd Feb 18, 10:31 AM
    • 2nd Feb 18, 10:31 AM
    it's only 6 minutes to 10, how early was early? If she only just arrived that seems within the bounds of on time to me.

Keep calm and go ahead with it, the dogs will be ok in teh other room (I've two big dogs too).
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 2nd Feb 18, 11:49 AM
    • 5,289 Posts
    • 7,420 Thanks
    deannatrois
    • 2nd Feb 18, 11:49 AM
    • 2nd Feb 18, 11:49 AM
    She turned up at 9.30.., problem was my support worker wasn't there.

As soon as my support worker turned up, we went and got the assessment officer.

I don't think it went particularly well. I was a bit unco-operative. Don't know why really. And point blank refused to do squats (arthritis in hips and knees). I couldn't understand one of the exercises she wanted me to do, tried and thought I was doing it but apparently not. So many things she asked were on the PIP form, it just seemed a bit pointless. I gave her my list of medication that I enclosed with my Pip form when she wanted me to verbally list my medication (couldn't remember a thing at the time, but I did say this).

Unfortunately, i probably seemed rather petulant and antisocial. Was just very scared and uncomfortable (pain in joints is quite bad).

So i guess it'll be the usual MR and tribunal lol.
    • wellynever
    • By wellynever 2nd Feb 18, 1:14 PM
    • 761 Posts
    • 1,031 Thanks
    wellynever
    • 2nd Feb 18, 1:14 PM
    • 2nd Feb 18, 1:14 PM
    Monday morning phone and ask for the PA4 report, it will give you a idea as to how it went and what points you may get.
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 2nd Feb 18, 7:39 PM
    • 5,289 Posts
    • 7,420 Thanks
    deannatrois
    • 2nd Feb 18, 7:39 PM
    • 2nd Feb 18, 7:39 PM
    Thank you so much Penitent.., been so uncomfortable how it went (know I was very awkward which is not really me deep down but that's why I do everything to avoid social stuff) I hadn't started to think about things like a write up. I will do that tonight.

Thank you Wellynever, I hadn't realised I could do that either. Will do that on Monday or get my social worker to do it.

But I don't expect to be awarded PIP immediately. I know I will probably (statistically) be awarded nil points but we'll see. I was SO withdrawn and unhelpful. Probably wouldn't have been if it had gone well to start with. I've had similar things happen before when people don't turn up but can sometimes get over it but of course, the PIP process is something to be scared of. Other things like the OT assessment were nerve wracking (and they cancelled appointments/forgot one/turned up late) but were there to help.

Not surprisingly the PIP assessment woman was very officious and I always get scared with people like that. Having her telling me she could turn up when she liked set the scene a bit and scared me. I've had too many bad experiences. Its a complete pain. Wish I could make myself react differently. I don't feel terribly proud of myself right now. She was polite, but sort of overbearing if that makes sense. I've had problems with abuse in the past and it had that flavour. I'm sure thats an over the top feeling of mine. I really dislike this side of myself.

Thank you so much everyone for your support. I really appreciate it.
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 9th Feb 18, 2:44 AM
    • 5,289 Posts
    • 7,420 Thanks
    deannatrois
    • 9th Feb 18, 2:44 AM
    • 9th Feb 18, 2:44 AM
    The social worker still seems to think the PIP assessment went well. God knows, time will tell.

Been having things I need to deal with with both sons (who also have ASD) but will make phone calls tomorrow if I get time.

I can't do the write up. Head is a complete blank as to what happened when. I can't remember the links between what happened and when. I can remember some slightly trick questions (like how do you walk your son to school after my answers about not being able to walk, how often do you walk your dog - my ex-walks him but I wasn't asked that so didn't give that answer just said I didn't, bloody ASD). Fortunately I was consistent (not always happens due to the literalness of ASD, I tend to answer only what is directly asked, which can cause some confusing answers). As far as I am aware, this didn't happen in the assessment.

Well now just waiting for the results.
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 9th Feb 18, 7:53 AM
    • 6,450 Posts
    • 11,621 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    • 9th Feb 18, 7:53 AM
    • 9th Feb 18, 7:53 AM
    At my first assessment my mum was completely won over and thought the guy was totally on my side - no award. Second time round my sister thought it went well - enhanced mobility and no daily living.

Both overturned, one at appeal and one at MR but still a giant pain in the back side. Yours might have gone better than mine as you didn't engage with her whereas I did power through and that went against me. I am a bit of a "people pleaser" and have worked with the public after lots of coaching and training so I've been programmed to answer questions with the "right"answer and not the true answer if that makes sense? Downside of being female and early diagnosed!

Hope you get a good award and it doesn't drag out, definitely keep on top of them re. the assessment report, they messed me around with mine too and I only got it as part of my tribunal bundle.
    Last edited by GlasweJen; 09-02-2018 at 9:44 PM.
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
    • Muttleythefrog
    • By Muttleythefrog 9th Feb 18, 12:58 PM
    • 11,716 Posts
    • 22,097 Thanks
    Muttleythefrog
    • 9th Feb 18, 12:58 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 12:58 PM
    Good luck.. and agree with above.. get on the front foot and get hold of a copy of the assessment report (PA4 consultation report).
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 10th Feb 18, 7:09 PM
    • 5,289 Posts
    • 7,420 Thanks
    deannatrois
    @ GlasweJen. I tend to do that a lot. I am usually able to give expected responses even though its not what I feel. I've been covering up for 50 years so do that quite well, unless I reach a flashpoint.

But unfortunately, I've gotten more and more isolated and lost a lot of the skills I did have. With the Assessor turning up early and not having my support worker around that kind of set the scene for a frightened non helpful 'go away' responseon my part lolol. Not normally how I'd be but I don't do surprises at the best of times lol.

Had a melt down in Asda yesterday., was stopped at the barrier by an alarm. Had definitely paid for all the goods, nothing electrical and clothing but alarm went off. Couldn't find receipt (I do get a bit hassled shopping and then you have to put stuff away in an always too small shopping trolley, speak to assistant and handle paying - I lose things). So I unloaded all my shopping (couldn't possibly have gone through all my shopping ticking of all the items even if i had the receipt, shopping overwhelms me) and walked out. First time I've done this. So now no milk and scared to go out. I have written to complain to Asda but it won't help in the short term. The little old asda assistant at the barrier didn't have any solutions when I said I couldn't find my receipt. Customer services had a long queue and I didn't know what to do. He turned round and said 'how do I know you paid for everything' which I guess is logical but not calming lol.

I really hate it when I get like this.

Been sitting here all afternoon knowing the milk was running out but unable to make myself get more.
    Last edited by deannatrois; 10-02-2018 at 7:26 PM.
    • SkipClick
    • By SkipClick 11th Feb 18, 5:54 PM
    • 650 Posts
    • 1,475 Thanks
    SkipClick
    @ GlasweJen. I tend to do that a lot. I am usually able to give expected responses even though its not what I feel. I've been covering up for 50 years so do that quite well, unless I reach a flashpoint.

But unfortunately, I've gotten more and more isolated and lost a lot of the skills I did have. With the Assessor turning up early and not having my support worker around that kind of set the scene for a frightened non helpful 'go away' responseon my part lolol. Not normally how I'd be but I don't do surprises at the best of times lol.

Had a melt down in Asda yesterday., was stopped at the barrier by an alarm. Had definitely paid for all the goods, nothing electrical and clothing but alarm went off. Couldn't find receipt (I do get a bit hassled shopping and then you have to put stuff away in an always too small shopping trolley, speak to assistant and handle paying - I lose things). So I unloaded all my shopping (couldn't possibly have gone through all my shopping ticking of all the items even if i had the receipt, shopping overwhelms me) and walked out. First time I've done this. So now no milk and scared to go out. I have written to complain to Asda but it won't help in the short term. The little old asda assistant at the barrier didn't have any solutions when I said I couldn't find my receipt. Customer services had a long queue and I didn't know what to do. He turned round and said 'how do I know you paid for everything' which I guess is logical but not calming lol.

I really hate it when I get like this.

Been sitting here all afternoon knowing the milk was running out but unable to make myself get more.
    Originally posted by deannatrois
    Why didn't they not check the cameras at that time you paid for the goods?. Another question if you remember who server you while you were at the till to. Why don't you pay on credit card? then you can show the transaction online using your bank app. I hope asda give you rewarding vouchers.
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 15th Feb 18, 12:36 PM
    • 5,289 Posts
    • 7,420 Thanks
    deannatrois
    I found the receipt. Basically just got the usual 'this will be relayed to management' reply. Could tell they didn't get it at all. Was offered a refund but don't feel like going back.

Have asked for the PA4 Consultation report, said should hear in 3 weeks either way as report received 6th February.
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 2nd Mar 18, 9:22 AM
    • 5,289 Posts
    • 7,420 Thanks
    deannatrois
    Got the PIP decision.., only received 4 points for mixing with people. Asked for a PA4 form twice now. The summary of the decision on the decision notice has assumptions and completely ignores the answers I gave in the interview. Ignores the fact that I couldn't even sit comfortably during the face to face. How could she say I didn't seem anxious when I kept ripping my hair out and was in tears when she tried to insist she could come in half an hour early and my support worker wasn't there? I had to use my asthma inhaler half way through cause i didn't stop coughing. Nerves again. No mention of the fact that when she asked me what medication I was on I couldn't list even one, kept saying 'please just look at the repeat prescription form (didn't realise at the time that this was why she was asking) and referred to my steroids as 'the one that begins with 's' several times. Oh well, I know this is par for the course. But still astonished someone can be so dishonest. These obviously are just some of the points.

PIP says the PA4 has been sent out but asked for another one.

The decision letter was sent on 18th Feb so I can ask once more, then I will have to phone and tell them I am asking for an MR, then I will have another 30 days to write the reply saying why the decision is wrong. And will keep asking for the PA4.

Having days when I am completely unable to do anything due to problems with my older son (another thread). Got housing issues, lots of things going on so although expected, finding it hard to cope but will get through this somehow.

No idea how people who do these face to face interviews can look at themselves in the mirror.
    Last edited by deannatrois; 02-03-2018 at 9:27 AM.
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 3rd Mar 18, 10:29 AM
    • 6,450 Posts
    • 11,621 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    The current system is an absolute shambles, sorry you're having to deal
    with this
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 12th Mar 18, 8:13 AM
    • 5,289 Posts
    • 7,420 Thanks
    deannatrois
    I have my PA4 report now.

Hum. Things missed off, bare faced lies (like she says I can crouch to the floor and rise again, never did that nor would I, I refused to do squats) lol. Says no display of anxiety but also says I was aggressive. Only point I got slightly insistent was when she had asked me three times to list my medication and i couldn't (as above) and i said for a third time PLEASE look at my repeat prescription list, its all on there.

Her OT type comments are mostly non comprehensible to me but I can see she says I can do things I can't in some places.

She says I can extend both legs with equal strength and I know I don't, had a physiotherapist assessment that said I have a lack of strength in r leg (but can't find a report from that). Can I ask for a report from that (was two years ago. Last year I paid for another physiotherapy assessment - is it worth seeing if there is a report from that? That physiotherapist said my top vertebrae were fused, had an xray years ago that said I had pronounced curvature of my spine. But I don't have any of this stuff readily to hand as evidence.

Do I go through the report para by para and dispute what was said or do I just go for the format of the original PIP form?

Its quite difficult to do because its a long report and I get overwhelmed rather easily. She also shows her bias when she said "MSE shows some hostility towards assessor when she did not like the questions asked". Was not aware of not liking questions, I just had problems answering some of them. But of course, I showed no anxiety at all.

Started reading the DWP guidelines.., occurred to me that the assessor states I go hypo four times a day and use that to prompt me to eat (which is true), she completely ignores the safety concerns of this and says that that means I don't need outside prompting to eat. Deary me. Complete missing the point. I am beginning to wish there was a way to complain about the assessment that would actually do some good. Like she reports that I had a fire when cooking due to inattention (recently had another one as well), but says I am perfectly able to cook because I can concentrate on the internet (my obsession) and watch movies (which is actually the reason I forget things). So I don't have any cognitive reasons to not be able to concentrate, so I can cook (forgetting the inability to prepare food which she also reports and ignores in the same para).
    Last edited by deannatrois; 12-03-2018 at 9:41 AM.
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 12th Mar 18, 10:05 AM
    • 5,289 Posts
    • 7,420 Thanks
    deannatrois
    Thank you.

Can I say things like I think the descriptor should be marked x because hypo's are actually to be regarded as dangerous and undesirable rather than a constructive prompt to eat that means I don't require outside prompting to do so?
    • Ames
    • By Ames 12th Mar 18, 12:35 PM
    • 17,138 Posts
    • 30,123 Thanks
    Ames
    I don't know about the hypos, but my instinct is that having them in the first place is bad and a sign of needing outside prompting to stop them happening in the first place, rather than being akin to feeling a bit peckish and deciding to eat.

I can imagine what response you'd get to telling a diabetes nurse 'oh I'm having several hypos a day, great isn't it, it reminds me to eat'. It wouldn't be 'brilliant coping strategy there'.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
    • Danday
    • By Danday 13th Mar 18, 12:53 AM
    • 346 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    Danday
    Certainly not, a sure fine way of getting oneself into hospital. Also If they had a hypo in the middle of the night and became so confused that they couldn't get out of bed (a typical symptom) I presume that they would just put eating off until breakfast time that is if they are still with us in the land of the living.
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 13th Mar 18, 11:13 AM
    • 5,289 Posts
    • 7,420 Thanks
    deannatrois
    I am trying to get a letter from my hospital consultant.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,625Posts Today

8,751Users online

Martin's Twitter