Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • salthepal
    • By salthepal 2nd Feb 18, 8:48 AM
    • 418Posts
    • 184Thanks
    salthepal
    Cannot receive or make calls from hospital.
    • 2nd Feb 18, 8:48 AM
    Cannot receive or make calls from hospital. 2nd Feb 18 at 8:48 AM
    Iíve a Samsung Galaxy J5 2016 and Iím unable to make or receive calls inside a hospital building. Phone calls are allowed as many other people are using their mobiles.
    I am using a Plusnet sim which is usually fine.
    The hospital runs its own free WiFi network and Iím wondering if this might be causing the problem.
    Please advise me how I can fix this.
    Thank you very much.
Page 1
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 2nd Feb 18, 9:14 AM
    • 2,234 Posts
    • 1,036 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 2nd Feb 18, 9:14 AM
    • 2nd Feb 18, 9:14 AM
    I'm guessing that the EE signal just isn't great there (presuming there's no other issue). The WiFi won't be the problem but could help if you use messaging apps instead (Whatsapp etc).
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 2nd Feb 18, 9:33 AM
    • 2,672 Posts
    • 3,423 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 2nd Feb 18, 9:33 AM
    • 2nd Feb 18, 9:33 AM
    It wouldn't be the Wrexham Maelor hospital by any chance. EE signal in most areas there is non existent.
    • Britnall7700
    • By Britnall7700 2nd Feb 18, 10:47 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Britnall7700
    • 2nd Feb 18, 10:47 AM
    • 2nd Feb 18, 10:47 AM
    Although Plusnet uses the EE Network it doesn't use the full allocation of frequencies and masts that EE have - by their own admission. You can have an EE phone and a Plusnet phone side by side and they get different signals.

The Wifi will have no bearing on it, but I tend to find Hospital buildings have very thick walls and many have an internal steel construction that serve as reasonably efficient signal blockers.

You may find another network fares better.
    • macman
    • By macman 2nd Feb 18, 10:51 AM
    • 41,920 Posts
    • 17,396 Thanks
    macman
    • 2nd Feb 18, 10:51 AM
    • 2nd Feb 18, 10:51 AM
    So have you actually got a signal showing on it? The hospital wi-fi has nothing to do with it.
    If there is no EE signal there, your options are to use another temporary SIM from a non-EE provider (if the handset is unlocked), or a VOIP service such as Skype or WhatsApp Calling (though you may find that the hospital wi-fi does not support these).
    It isn't clear if this needs to be a short term solution or a permanent one (i.e. are you staff, visitor, or patient)?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • d123
    • By d123 2nd Feb 18, 11:23 AM
    • 7,218 Posts
    • 4,658 Thanks
    d123
    • 2nd Feb 18, 11:23 AM
    • 2nd Feb 18, 11:23 AM
    Although Plusnet uses the EE Network it doesn't use the full allocation of frequencies and masts that EE have - by their own admission. You can have an EE phone and a Plusnet phone side by side and they get different signals.
    Originally posted by Britnall7700
    Whilst your basic premise is correct, you haven!!!8217;t worded it very well and left it rather vague.

Plusnet has access to all the same EE masts and would have the same 2G/3G service, and would have the same 4G signal as a PAYG EE customer or contract customer not using a supported 4G VoLTE handset (which is any iPhone since the 6 and a number of Android handsets, mostly ones sold directly by EE and supporting EE VoLTE).

Contract EE customers using either an iPhone or those supported Android phones have an additional frequency available for 4G which is Band 20 800Mhz LTE.
    ====
    • oldagetraveller
    • By oldagetraveller 2nd Feb 18, 11:42 AM
    • 3,121 Posts
    • 1,635 Thanks
    oldagetraveller
    • 2nd Feb 18, 11:42 AM
    • 2nd Feb 18, 11:42 AM
    It wouldn't be the Wrexham Maelor hospital by any chance. EE signal in most areas there is non existent.
    Originally posted by unforeseen
    As the OP looks to be located in Hampshire it has to be very doubtful they will be in a hospital in N. Wales.
    Did you hear about the politician who had a backside transplant? It rejected him.
    • salthepal
    • By salthepal 2nd Feb 18, 4:13 PM
    • 418 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    salthepal
    • 2nd Feb 18, 4:13 PM
    • 2nd Feb 18, 4:13 PM
    My hospital is Royal Hants County Hospital, Winchester.
    Last edited by salthepal; 02-02-2018 at 4:14 PM. Reason: Spelling
    • Hoogle
    • By Hoogle 2nd Feb 18, 4:22 PM
    • 193 Posts
    • 173 Thanks
    Hoogle
    • 2nd Feb 18, 4:22 PM
    • 2nd Feb 18, 4:22 PM
    you can try putting your phone in flight mode and then deactivating flight mode, this usually resets the signal.
    • d123
    • By d123 2nd Feb 18, 4:33 PM
    • 7,218 Posts
    • 4,658 Thanks
    d123
    My hospital is Royal Hants County Hospital, Winchester.
    Originally posted by salthepal
    You havenít clarified, do you actually have signal on the phone?

Itís likely the signal is weak or blocked by the building construction, if you have no signal you wonít receive calls/texts.
    ====
    • Raxiel
    • By Raxiel 7th Feb 18, 5:19 PM
    • 689 Posts
    • 382 Thanks
    Raxiel
    Do you have the option of enabling Wi-Fi calling? If you can then that might let you make & receive calls while connected to the free Wi-Fi (assuming it doesn't have restrictions to prevent it).

A quick check suggests EE branded J5's have this feature, but I don't know if it's specific to them. My wife's Nexus 5x gained the option as soon as she inserted her Plusnet SIM.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 7th Feb 18, 5:23 PM
    • 1,235 Posts
    • 1,059 Thanks
    Carrot007
    You havenít clarified, do you actually have signal on the phone?

Itís likely the signal is weak or blocked by the building construction, if you have no signal you wonít receive calls/texts.
    Originally posted by d123
    The signal meter on phones means little.

It only reports the signal.

The signal to noise ratio is what is important for doing anything.

You can have no bars and be fine or full bars and not be able to do anything. Such is the poor basis of the information presented. However doing anything usefull would sap energy so they don't.
    • d123
    • By d123 7th Feb 18, 8:54 PM
    • 7,218 Posts
    • 4,658 Thanks
    d123
    The signal meter on phones means little.

It only reports the signal.

The signal to noise ratio is what is important for doing anything.

You can have no bars and be fine or full bars and not be able to do anything. Such is the poor basis of the information presented. However doing anything usefull would sap energy so they don't.
    Originally posted by Carrot007
    I asked if they had signal, so I have no idea why you felt the need quote my question to waffle on about bars on the phone. With NO SIGNAL he will not make or receive calls.
    ====
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 7th Feb 18, 9:13 PM
    • 2,672 Posts
    • 3,423 Thanks
    unforeseen
    As the OP looks to be located in Hampshire it has to be very doubtful they will be in a hospital in N. Wales.
    Originally posted by oldagetraveller
    On a small mobile phone screen I tend not to have the left hand side in view so don't see location.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

576Posts Today

6,343Users online

Martin's Twitter