Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • trevman
    • By trevman 2nd Feb 18, 7:53 AM
    • 29Posts
    • 8Thanks
    trevman
    Look After My Bills
    • 2nd Feb 18, 7:53 AM
    Look After My Bills 2nd Feb 18 at 7:53 AM
    In the name of saving money I signed up to "the big deal" (another crowd switching site that tries to bargain for better deals) but I recently recevied an email from them about lookaftermybills.com which claims to do the comparison and switching work for you. I have yet to use it so (and it's new) so can't recommend or confirm how good it is, but I think MSE could easily copy this to good effect.

Has anyone signed up to test it out?
Page 2
    • Skools_Out
    • By Skools_Out 22nd Aug 18, 2:19 PM
    • 244 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    Skools_Out
    You can only sign up to Look After My Bills if you give them your bank account details so they can set up a Direct Debit. No thanks.
    Originally posted by Blue Smurf
    Have you ever switched energy before using a comparison site?
    Never worried about cashback such comparison sites may offer???

LAMB take your bank details so they can pass them on to the supplier they switch you to. They automatically select Direct Debit as the payment method for customers as suppliers often offer substantial discounts for paying by Direct Debit, so ensuring you’re getting the very best deals.

Even MSE suggests you should pay monthly by Direct Debit for the cheapest options usually.

Taking your direct details is exactly what all the big price comparison sites do. They never take any money themselves from your account - that is not what you give authority for. Your authority is for the energy supplier to take the money.
    You will remain covered by the comprensive Direct Debit Guarantee that applies to all Direct Debit agreements.

Particularly where you wish someone else to 'Look After Your bills' giving banks details once enables them to switch you as you would expect, without having to refer back to you for your bank details each time.
    N.B. The only exception is if you currently have a Prepayment meter installed, in which case LAMB only find you other deals paying by Prepayment Meter and will not ask for your bank details.
    • Houbara
    • By Houbara 22nd Aug 18, 2:54 PM
    • 3,851 Posts
    • 2,515 Thanks
    Houbara
    Neither is the best.
    Faster to do it yourself and you may get some cashback instead of them.
    Originally posted by gsmlnx
    It sure is, eg Topcashback are are paying £80 ( for the next 4 days only) for switching to the currently best fixed tariff deal in my area with EDF s latest all online exclusive tariff.
    Currently the best fixed deal for me and three of my friends who are leaving Iresa via Octopus Energy
    • georgecopeman
    • By georgecopeman 22nd Aug 18, 4:00 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    georgecopeman
    EDF deal
    Don't be misled. Read more carefully.
    The EDF deal offer of £80 is only for Business Energy Consumption of 50,000 kWh and over. For domestic dual fuel the offer is £30.50 and single it's £11.25. Rather different.
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 22nd Aug 18, 9:23 PM
    • 3,065 Posts
    • 2,014 Thanks
    Robin9
    The EDF deal offer of £80 is only for Business Energy Consumption of 50,000 kWh and over. For domestic dual fuel the offer is £30.50 and single it's £11.25. Rather different.
    Originally posted by georgecopeman
    Don't be tempted by a cash bribe - if you are a business using 50,000 kwh your bill is probably £6-7000. £80 is hardly significant.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • Skools_Out
    • By Skools_Out 23rd Aug 18, 9:58 AM
    • 244 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    Skools_Out
    Originally posted by georgecopeman
    Hello georgecopeman, and welcome back to MSE.

Rest assured I have read your post very carefully indeed and found it most valuable.

I see you rarely post on MSE. Indeed you joined MSE way back in 2005 and only ever made one previous post which was over 10 years ago.

Amazing that someone has remembered their password after so many years of inactivity on this site, but you obviously have, and it was most opportune that you just happened to be reading this thread barely an hour after another posted something you diagreed with.

Still, I'm glad you have now returned to MSE, as your posts are most valuable, and this site would sadly die if it were not nor people like you who take time out of their day to make the effort to make really informative posts that you do.

I'm sad to see that despite over 10 years of absence, you immediately left MSE again as soon as you posted this 2nd post of yours. Please do not leave it so long until your next post, and hopefully you will be able to spare us a few more minutes of your doubtless invaluable time on your next vist.

Take care ...
    • Bollinge
    • By Bollinge 15th Sep 18, 8:11 AM
    • 82 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    Bollinge
    I enrolled a friend because he doesnít have internet, and was promised twenty quid each for joining. Any idea how and when that is paid?

In any event, they came back next day to say they couldnít find a better deal for him than the one I put him on via MSE a year ago, but they would check again in three months.

Only after reading this thread did I realise that they donít deal with all energy suppliers. I suppose the bigger they get the more incentive there will be for companies to deal with them in terms of more business they can bring in.

I think there is a market for this kind of operation, as millions of people are still on gas and electricity standard rate tariffs because of indolence. My father in law is still paying £3 a quarter to rent a BT phone he has had forever, when you can buy a new one for twenty quid!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,800Posts Today

8,643Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin