Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JimmyNeutron
    • By JimmyNeutron 1st Feb 18, 4:30 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 3Thanks
    JimmyNeutron
    No PCN, just debt recovery letter - What to do?
    • 1st Feb 18, 4:30 PM
    No PCN, just debt recovery letter - What to do? 1st Feb 18 at 4:30 PM
    Hi, apologies if this has been covered in this forum already I have read the newbies FAQ page which doesn't seem to address what to do if I haven't received a PCN.

I have received a letter from Debt Recovery Plus Ltd in reference to a PCN from 16th November last year. It has my registration and was addressed to me, and lists its creditor as UK Car Park Management Ltd.

I have had no prior communication about this PCN and contacting the college that owns the car park hasn't been helpful. Do I get in touch with UKCPM directly, appeal using the template, or something else?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.
Page 1
    • Redx
    • By Redx 1st Feb 18, 4:43 PM
    • 18,363 Posts
    • 23,265 Thanks
    Redx
    • 1st Feb 18, 4:43 PM
    • 1st Feb 18, 4:43 PM
    if you have the pcn number on the DRP letter, appeal to UKCPM using that reference and the template in the newbies sticky thread

IGNORE drp like post #4 tells you to do, no contact whatsoever

if you do not have a pcn ref , you will find it hard to appeal it, in which case IGNORE it

come back if you get an LBC or an MCOL within 6 years
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • JimmyNeutron
    • By JimmyNeutron 1st Feb 18, 4:47 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    JimmyNeutron
    • 1st Feb 18, 4:47 PM
    • 1st Feb 18, 4:47 PM
    Brilliant, thanks Redx. The DRP letter does include the PCN ref.

Is it worth altering the template appeal wording to advise I haven't had a PCN?

Also, I can't find anywhere on UKCPM website an option to appeal online, do they not offer one? Is my only option to appeal in writing by post?
    • Redx
    • By Redx 1st Feb 18, 5:01 PM
    • 18,363 Posts
    • 23,265 Thanks
    Redx
    • 1st Feb 18, 5:01 PM
    • 1st Feb 18, 5:01 PM
    no idea how you appeal, use whatever method they suggest, so yes do so in writing if it is offered and get a free certificate of posting from the PO Counter staff (not SIGNED FOR)

you can add an opening paragraph stating that

PCN REF :-

VRM DETAILS :-

the DRP letter is the first contact I have had as KEEPER about this matter and I am using that letter as the initial Notice To Keeper and I am appealing it as per the template below

add template (with no changes)

date and squiggle sign it
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 1st Feb 18, 6:51 PM
    • 58,533 Posts
    • 72,030 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 1st Feb 18, 6:51 PM
    • 1st Feb 18, 6:51 PM
    I wouldn't bother. You are at 'ignore the debt collectors' stage (as per post #4 of the sticky).

Come back when Gladstones send you a LBCCC, or a claim form. This is where IPC cases are won.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• JimmyNeutron
    • By JimmyNeutron 6th Mar 18, 2:05 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    JimmyNeutron
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:05 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:05 PM
    Thanks for your responses. I've had no response from UK CPM but have received another notice from DRP Ltd. Appreciate I am at 'ignore debt collectors' stage' so of course won't be responding to DRP at all but is it worth sending another appeal letter? I have still never received any correspondence from UK CPM which just seems ridiculous.
    • nosferatu1001
    • By nosferatu1001 6th Mar 18, 2:43 PM
    • 2,765 Posts
    • 3,438 Thanks
    nosferatu1001
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:43 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:43 PM
    NO, its useless.
    • JimmyNeutron
    • By JimmyNeutron 24th Mar 18, 11:42 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    JimmyNeutron
    • 24th Mar 18, 11:42 AM
    • 24th Mar 18, 11:42 AM
    Morning - I have now had a template appeals rejection letter from UKCPM. My appeal wasn't within 21 days so they can automatically reject it. Ridiculous considering I didn't even know about it until way after 21 days from the original PCN. Anyway, they've given me details of IAS which I still have 2 days to appeal - is it worth doing this?

I've also had a letter from Gladstones now which looks like a LBC (explaining UKCPM has the option to commence proceedings in Civil Court). Reading through the Newbies and other posts it seems as though there is a quite a bit of work involved in going to court and, despite the fact that this forum has a 99% win rate, I'm just not sure I have time/energy to fight it. I know it's giving in but half tempted to just pay it off now so I don't have to waste any more time reading letters etc. Is there a way to appeal/complain this away or will I have to go to court if I wish to contest further?
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 24th Mar 18, 11:58 AM
    • 18,019 Posts
    • 28,539 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 24th Mar 18, 11:58 AM
    • 24th Mar 18, 11:58 AM
    Anyway, they've given me details of IAS which I still have 2 days to appeal - is it worth doing this?
    In short - no, but do read more in the NEWBIES FAQ sticky, post #3.

I've also had a letter from Gladstones now which looks like a LBC (explaining UKCPM has the option to commence proceedings in Civil Court).
    Does the reference number on it commence 1xxx, or 3xxx, or 4xxx? Who does it tell you to pay?

I know it's giving in but half tempted to just pay it off now so I don't have to waste any more time reading letters etc.
    Please tell us soonest, because there are others who have already given of their own time (no charge) to help you. No point in more input if you are going to give up.

Is there a way to appeal/complain this away or will I have to go to court if I wish to contest further?
    What about the landowner? Have you tried to find out who they are and asked them to intervene and get the ticket cancelled. Often works.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • JimmyNeutron
    • By JimmyNeutron 24th Mar 18, 1:00 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    JimmyNeutron
    The reference number is 4xxxxxx and asks me to pay Debt Recovery Plus, not UKCPM.

Really appreciate all the help I've been given on here so far, thanks. I do not wish to waste anyone's time so I will try to get in contact with the landowner again. It's a college where I play football and I did contact them already to find out the owner but no luck. If I'm still unsuccessful I'll make a decision about paying and advise.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 24th Mar 18, 1:33 PM
    • 18,019 Posts
    • 28,539 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    So what you've had from 'Gladstones' is actually from DRP - a mere debt collector letter where DRP are probably paying Gs a few coppers for the use of their headed paper. It can be ignored.

What you should now do is follow the strategy in the following thread by putting Gs in a bit of a corner by sending them a letter asking them to confirm that the letter you have received is from them. Come back and tell us how they respond.

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=118737&st=0

This is doing some valuable groundwork to strengthen your position should it ever get to court. It may even make you look to them too much of handful to pursue.
    Last edited by Umkomaas; 24-03-2018 at 2:21 PM.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 24th Mar 18, 3:24 PM
    • 58,533 Posts
    • 72,030 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    There is no decision to be made about paying. We do NOT pay, here. We win.
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!

• JimmyNeutron
    • By JimmyNeutron 26th Mar 18, 12:58 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    JimmyNeutron
    Umkomaas - thanks for your explanation, really underhand move from DRP using a solicitors headed paper. I will draft a concise letter to Gs and advise the response.

Coupon-mad - completely agree with your sentiment. As I was parked outside a marked bay I know I was technically in the wrong (and would have likely paid had I actually received something from UKCPM) but was completely unaware the car park was under new management. Having visited the college to play football for nearly 10 years it was generally accepted that people could park wherever they could find space as it was always overcrowded. It's the not being made aware of the fact cars can now be charged which is what's irking me in this instance.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 26th Mar 18, 1:24 PM
    • 58,533 Posts
    • 72,030 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    It's the not being made aware of the fact cars can now be charged which is what's irking me in this instance
    You and others had the reasonable expectation of being able to park wherever a space could be found, and had done for ten years. No sign prominently proclaimed the rules had changed, nor did any sign have 100 charge in LARGE lettering (and if it was dark, any signs were unlit).

You have a defence.

• JimmyNeutron
    • By JimmyNeutron 26th Mar 18, 3:57 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    JimmyNeutron
    No sign prominently proclaimed the rules had changed, nor did any sign have 100 charge in LARGE lettering (and if it was dark, any signs were unlit).
    Originally posted by Coupon-mad
    This is the key point for me. I was sent pictures of my vehicle at the time which showed a car in front of me and behind, and pictures of the signage which was tiny/unclear and attached to a post I didn't know existed. It was also at night so no chance of it being visible or prominent enough.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

225Posts Today

2,757Users online

Martin's Twitter