Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 1st Feb 18, 4:00 PM
    • 2,442Posts
    • 7,607Thanks
    Munchin
    Munchinís debt free diary (the final one!!!)
    • 1st Feb 18, 4:00 PM
    Munchinís debt free diary (the final one!!!) 1st Feb 18 at 4:00 PM
    Hi all,

After a few bumps along the road I finally became debt free on 29 January 2018 .

I paid off about £26,000 in my last 3 diaries over the course of 10 years. I started my first diary to clear 1 lot of debt and then once it was gone...I took on more debt . So the purpose of this new diary is to start afresh with no debt (just love saying that) and to put down my savings goals and plans for the year ahead. I will do an SOA in the next post.

A little bit about myself I live in N Ireland with my OH and my fur-baby (dog).

During the coming year I want to focus on my savings and the main things are Ė

- An Emergency fund for a rainy day Ė hopefully £2000 by Dec and the second goal will be £10,000 and the final goal is £30,000.

- Holiday 2018 Ė weíre planning on going away for a week in Sept so will aim for £600.

- Finally a dream trip to the Maldives in 2019 Ė approx. £3000.

As I said in last diary in the months ahead my diary will continue to be about penny pinchingÖ.probably giving off to myself about frittering and mainly about getting my budgets funded.

Edit: Oct 2018 - debt created but a new bathroom to show for it)
    Last edited by Munchin; 01-10-2018 at 9:15 PM.
    Scrimpy Challenge 1 - Banish the Debt - £270 paid/£6,000 (4.5% paid)
    Scrimpy Challenge 2 - Emergency fund - £72/£6,000(1.2%)
    Scrimpy Challenge 3 - Dream Holiday - £1000/£3000 (33%)
Page 9
    • GlendaSugarbean
    • By GlendaSugarbean 3rd Jul 18, 6:19 AM
    • 272 Posts
    • 1,962 Thanks
    GlendaSugarbean
    Morning Munchin! It is hard. I managed to score some free counselling sessions through work after getting to a stage last year where I was really struggling. That helped me identify when I can help - or when I need to intercede for someone else's health - and when I need to step back for my OWN mental health. It's a tough call.

Sounds like you have a productive day planned - enjoy
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 3rd Jul 18, 7:00 AM
    • 2,442 Posts
    • 7,607 Thanks
    Munchin
    Morning GSB, my counsellor was so helpful and even though she was helping me with my issues, she also helped me with OH and to work out that I need to have my own separate time. It just means that rather than trying to make OH feel better all the time when he moans and complains I step back from commenting and tell him he needs to speak to a counsellor. I don't do this all the time (I'm not heartless ) but for my own mental health it has to be done at times.

I got home last night and OH has spent a good chunk of his redundancy money on something we don't need but according to him it will make him feel better. Sigh......no words. Last time he did that he was working and it was a small boat which is languishing in our shed. No we couldn't afford a boat which is why it was a crappy thing that never worked and I still hate it. X years later and I'm still trying to get him to patch it up and sell it. Some things I keep out of of MSE land
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 3rd Jul 18, 7:07 AM
    • 2,442 Posts
    • 7,607 Thanks
    Munchin
    Monthly budget - July 18

Groceries - £180/£xx spent
    Everything - £110/£xx spent
    Diesel - £80/£xx spent
    Work - £40/£xx spent
    Gift/Event - £50/£xx spent
    • GlendaSugarbean
    • By GlendaSugarbean 3rd Jul 18, 7:56 AM
    • 272 Posts
    • 1,962 Thanks
    GlendaSugarbean
    On the bright side, I suppose no one can lecture us about the need for emotional resilience! Gah. Deep breaths...
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 5th Jul 18, 7:25 AM
    • 2,442 Posts
    • 7,607 Thanks
    Munchin
    Morning,

£210 paid off credit card and that is the way I mean to carry on .

Iím a wee bit blah today as Iím tired and I spoke to the Ďcontact for more informationí of the post Iím interested in and Iím not as confident as I was. He let slip there is someone doing job elsewhere who might be interested. All I can do is my best at interview and I should probably get a date for that next week.

Car is still in garage so had to drag OH out of bed to take me to the train station.

Itís a lot cooler today so hopefully might get a better nights sleep and feel more Ďmeí tomorrow.
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 7th Jul 18, 1:13 PM
    • 2,442 Posts
    • 7,607 Thanks
    Munchin
    Afternoon

I feel much better today. I was feeling sluggish and bleurgh this week but I think I have my mojo back.

I popped over to Asda and did my shop early in this morning then pup & I went for a run before it got too hot. We are getting ready to watch the F1 qualifying in a bit.

I have meal prepped my lunch for today and 3 days next week. As it is the 12th holidays here I'm only in work 3 days. Can't wait for the weekend break and I plan on doing very little.

OH is working today so me & the pup have ventured to my Mums to be spoilt . I have to do the ironing when I head home and I'm just putting it off as long as possible.

Money front - nothing exciting. Sis and OH both said they would pay me money they owe me this week but nada so far. I've paid the scary garage bill but that was out of savings pots which now need refilled. Feel motivated again.
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 7th Jul 18, 1:15 PM
    • 2,442 Posts
    • 7,607 Thanks
    Munchin
    Monthly budget - July 18

Groceries - £180/£46.09 spent
    Everything - £110/£6 spent
    Diesel - £80/£xx spent
    Work - £40/£15 spent
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 8th Jul 18, 8:51 AM
    • 1,935 Posts
    • 5,598 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Hope you had a nice time at your mum's. I'd put off the ironing as much as possible too lol!
    My debt-free diary
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 8th Jul 18, 2:32 PM
    • 2,272 Posts
    • 14,055 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Sorry to hear about the car bill Munchin. Shame OH can't get his mojo together and get the boat ready for selling. But glad to read you're back to feeling motivated again.

Have a good week!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Ad Hoc Savings - 07/11/2018 - £1771.05
    MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 30
    My diary: ďPaid off the £31,0000! BUT- still scrimping!Ē
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 10th Jul 18, 6:56 AM
    • 2,442 Posts
    • 7,607 Thanks
    Munchin
    Morning

On the train and heading to my good warm work in Belfast. Nothing exciting to report. My work is slowing down for the 12th holidays but I have a ton of itty things to clear which Iím hoping to do today so that tomorrow is an easy day.

I forgot that Iím heading out to lunch with running friends so my prepared lunch will have to wait until tmw.

Money front - both OH & sis gave me back money. OHs still isnít in my account, so I better check that he sent it to the right account. I will keep some for spending money on my holiday and the rest will go towards my emergency fund and credit card.

I also think we are due a pay arrears this month which will be about £200 for the year. It can go into a wee treat for me and the rest into the annual bills fund which was cleared out by the car.

I plan on heading to forest later with pup, so that will be something to look forward to
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 16th Jul 18, 8:21 PM
    • 2,442 Posts
    • 7,607 Thanks
    Munchin
    Hi all,

12th holidays are over and I was back at work today. It's still very quiet in work as so many people take 2 weeks leave over the 12th. OH & I went out for dinner last night and we paid for it with our ebay sales and £2 savings pot.

A relative died yesterday and she is being buried tomorrow so I have taken leave in the morning. She was poorly for a very long time but it's still sad even though she is no longer in pain. After that I'm heading back to work and then I have a volunteer thing tomorrow night, which means I probably will not be home until near 10.

Wednesday I have an opticians appointment which I should be able to claim back from work.

Still no word on interview but I do expect to be notified this week and then I will turn into a total nervous nelly .

Spends still going ok. It was a wee bit spendy today as I've felt a bit run down so I got some Floradix from the chemist so hopefully that will perk me right up

Monthly budget - July 18

Groceries - £180/£73.64 left
    Everything - £110/£60.07 left
    Diesel - £80/£36 left
    Work - £40/£8 left
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 17th Jul 18, 8:19 AM
    • 1,935 Posts
    • 5,598 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    I'm sorry to hear, about your relative, Munchin. It's still hard even though we might know it's happening and the person is out of pain.

Fingers crossed you hear about the interview this week
    My debt-free diary
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 18th Jul 18, 8:02 PM
    • 2,442 Posts
    • 7,607 Thanks
    Munchin
    Thanks Lilith - still waiting on interview date and keep hearing of more and more people who have applied for the post!!!!

Went to Opticians today and it cost me £45 and I get to claim back £20 for the eye test. The optician kept going on about my age as if I was ready for the knackers yard . Eyes are a tiny bit worse but nothing major. I just needed new glasses as I had managed to scrape the life out of my current pair. The glasses I picked were £25 and they were the ones that really suited my face shape so I was very happy.

I have a long weekend booked at the end of the month and yes I could use my back pay to pay off some of my credit card but instead I'm going to see what Groupon deal I could get for a night or 2 in a nice hotel .

• Munchin
    • By Munchin 19th Jul 18, 5:13 AM
    • 2,442 Posts
    • 7,607 Thanks
    Munchin
    Morning,

Spec savers texted last night and glasses are ready for collection . I will pop out at lunchtime & pick them up.

Other than that I donít have any planned spends today.
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 22nd Jul 18, 10:43 AM
    • 2,442 Posts
    • 7,607 Thanks
    Munchin
    Morning

I've already been to mass and started my day on the right foot with overnight oats and lots of berries and a lovely coffee .

OH is still in bed but he has an 11am deadline so that we don't waste the day. I have 'Saturday Kitchen Best Bits' on in the background and they are showing how to make black pudding . The thing is when I was younger I liked it but that was because I didn't know what was in it.

I have my interview date ...I have just under a month and there is no point in freaking out until nearer the time but each time I think about it my stomach does a summersault.

I've been busy this week and enjoyed the volunteer thing. I also picked up my new glasses which will take a while to get used to. Yesterday was ridiculously busy as I went for a run, got my nails done and then took my Mum to test drive a few cars. I hate car showrooms and so does my Mum but we managed it and put a deposit down on a wee car that is just perfect for her.

I struggled a wee bit with my ED this week but I went back to basics yesterday and prepped some food and nutritious snacks to keep me going.

Money front- getting back into the rhythm of saving money and paying off that pesky credit card which is now down below £2,000. I'm going to get some euros when I get paid this week for our holiday in Sept.

Monthly budget - July 18

Groceries - £180/£25.14 left
    Everything - £110/£25.07 left
    Diesel - £80/£0 left
    Work - £40/£0 left
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 23rd Jul 18, 6:18 AM
    • 1,935 Posts
    • 5,598 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Well done on getting an interview date! I agree, no point worrying about it until nearer the time but I imagine it gets the butterflies going when it pops into your head!
    My debt-free diary
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 24th Jul 18, 6:53 AM
    • 2,442 Posts
    • 7,607 Thanks
    Munchin
    Hi Lilith - thanks, I have all kinds of bubbles going on when I think of interview.

Iíve decided to take a long weekend now as Iím just tired. I have 3 weeks leave booked in Sept but when I see my colleagues going on their holidays now it makes me feel like I need a middle of the summer reprieve. Itís also coming up to ToTM, so feeling hormonal and sore. Iím scouring the net for a deal even if itís just a night away as I donít want the weekend just to be about cleaning and pootering.

No spends yesterday and should get backpay this Friday which will go towards this planned night away and savings. Because I changed jobs I donít get much backpay.

My friend is back to work today, so I will have non griping company.

Plans -
    • Check banking & YNAB
    • Catch up on diaries
    • Either a run this pm or kettlebells
    • Survive until Thurs when my leave starts

• Munchin
    • By Munchin 27th Jul 18, 4:54 PM
    • 2,442 Posts
    • 7,607 Thanks
    Munchin
    Hi

I'm on leave today and I got paid . I had seen a nice watch for £30 last month which I was contemplating buying as a 'treat' with my back pay but looked at it again today and I decided just to fix the strap on my current watch and concentrate on keeping my money in my pocket.

I spent a few pennies today but nothing I didn't need. I have 1 bottle of curl serum and 1 tube of dye left, so I used some of my back pay and topped up my supplies. I got 3 bottles of serum and 3 tubes of dye for £38.40 .

I popped into my volunteer thing for a few hours this morning and on way home I went and changed some money to euros for my holiday in Sept.

I'm going to attempt a spending reduction in August before my holiday. Yes I know I try all the time but it will give me something to aim towards .

Spends planned for August -
    • Trip to see Evita in Opera House (tickets paid but need parking)
    • Beauticians & Hairdresser appt (trim - £12)
    • Trip to Dublin (need to purchase tickets)
    • Gift & night out for 18th birthday party
    • At least 1 work do (possibly 2)
    • £40 for yoga class.
    Monthly budget - July 18

Groceries - £180/£31.14 left
    Work - £40/£20 left
    Last edited by Munchin; 27-07-2018 at 7:06 PM.
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 27th Jul 18, 10:19 PM
    • 2,442 Posts
    • 7,607 Thanks
    Munchin
    Hi again,

So Iíve looked back at Hypnoís & Mooninís diaries as they were so inspirational. I found a blog called ĎFrugal Beautifulí which has me motivated and pulling on the frugal hat . I know I fritter money but August is going to be squeaky on the purse strings. I want to do a fiscal fast but Iím committed to various things so it will have to be a mini fast. The rest of July will also be squeaky .
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 28th Jul 18, 9:01 AM
    • 2,442 Posts
    • 7,607 Thanks
    Munchin
    Morning,

So itís a bit damp outside today. OH is just away to work and Iím having 30 mins to myself. I want to go for a run but not sure what the weather is doing.

I was looking for a name for my challenge last night, in between watching Sex & the City and reading diaries . Iíve come up with Money minded ... which Iím soooo not.

Iím off to a good start as I donít really need to buy anything for tea tonight. Iím making cod with tomato and basil. The recipe calls for fresh basil but I wonder if I could get away with dried...

Iíve joined one of the Xmas threads...yup 5 months to go but I love it.

My plan today is to check through holiday clothes and make do and mend.

Plans today -
    • Run - done and the rained held off.
    • Help out cousin with census form- done in the middle of a thunderstorm.
    • Tidy house - done
    • Avoid the shops - done
    • Check holiday clothes - not done....ooops.
    Have fun today.
    Last edited by Munchin; 28-07-2018 at 4:27 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

192Posts Today

2,342Users online

Martin's Twitter