Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 1st Feb 18, 4:00 PM
    • 2,272Posts
    • 6,942Thanks
    Munchin
    Debt free Munchin!! Now to stay that way.....
    • 1st Feb 18, 4:00 PM
    Debt free Munchin!! Now to stay that way..... 1st Feb 18 at 4:00 PM
    Hi all,

After a few bumps along the road I finally became debt free on 29 January 2018 .

I paid off about £26,000 in my last 3 diaries over the course of 10 years. I started my first diary to clear 1 lot of debt and then once it was gone...I took on more debt . So the purpose of this new diary is to start afresh with no debt (just love saying that) and to put down my savings goals and plans for the year ahead. I will do an SOA in the next post.

A little bit about myself I live in N Ireland with my OH and my fur-baby (dog).

During the coming year I want to focus on my savings and the main things are Ė

- An Emergency fund for a rainy day Ė hopefully £2000 by Dec and the second goal will be £10,000 and the final goal is £30,000.

- Holiday 2018 Ė weíre planning on going away for a week in Sept so will aim for £600.

- Finally a dream trip to the Maldives in 2019 Ė approx. £3000.

As I said in last diary in the months ahead my diary will continue to be about penny pinchingÖ.probably giving off to myself about frittering and mainly about getting my budgets funded.
    Debt Free 29 January 2018

Scrimpy Challenge 1 -Emergency fund - £2322/£10,000(23%)
    Scrimpy Challenge 2 - Holiday 2018/2019 - £600/£3600.
    Scrimpy Challenge 3 - Car - £0/£8000
    Scrimpy Challenge 4 - Pension - £0
Page 2
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 2nd Feb 18, 8:53 AM
    • 2,272 Posts
    • 6,942 Thanks
    Munchin
    Hi all,

Thanks for visiting & for helping keep me on straight and narrow .

LadyPO1 - thatís brilliant news on your nearly debt free date... it gets a wee bit frustrating when you are so close but it will be here in no time.

WBF - it wonít be long until the F1 supplement pages start turning up in the papers. I love F1 Sundays.

Uncannyscott - thank you...it took me 10 or so years to get here... & the peeps on here are so brilliantly supportive.

Pauline - if I was fit & able I would have done cartwheels

Going to hairdressers in a minute as the whinbush on top of my head needs pruning. It costs £10 & tip as itís only wash and cut. My hair is naturally curly so it doesnít do well with a hairdryer no matter how eager the hairdresser is.

• Munchin
    • By Munchin 2nd Feb 18, 4:29 PM
    • 2,272 Posts
    • 6,942 Thanks
    Munchin
    Afternoon

So today was a great example of my urge to fritter but thankfully stopped. I got my haircut this morning and then went for a run but just didn't feel it so to make up for the short run I thought I would dust of my exercise dvd and give that a go. I put the disc into my small/tv dvd player which is ancient but does the job. The disc player part wouldn't work and straight away I thought that it's time for a new tv/dvd player. After giving myself a mental slap I went onto You tube and found a similar painful workout . I never use the workout dvds as I prefer running and my yoga class which is why I then went to OH as he is always ebaying stuff and put my 2 workout dvds in his pile to sell. The cheeky sod did suggest putting in the description comments that either they were never used or didn't work .

Haircut sorted for probably another 8 weeks and I need to corner my sister as the grey is really making an appearance now. I did say to her once that I was just going to let it go naturally grey but she was so against that - wee sisters are very direct.

I can't believe this is my last day on leave, the week has gone by so fast it is ridiculous. After my activities this morning I had a much more leisurely afternoon by finishing all my ED homework (for those that don't know I am recovered from an eating disorder but have been seeing a therapist since Sept to help with a few issues). I also did some Swagbucks and surveys so have built up a few more points.

OH is making tea but he popped out to go to the local shop about 30 mins ago & hasn't come back. I'm not being suspicious but I suspect the call of Guinness has pulled him into the pub .

Plans tomorrow include volunteering at a running event and then helping sister with a birthday party... not looking forward to the volunteering part but the birthday party should be fun.

• Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 2nd Feb 18, 7:45 PM
    • 1,768 Posts
    • 4,987 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Well done on resisting the fritter! I was recently looking at going to yoga classes but it would cost about £40 a month if I went once a week. Then I thought there's plenty of yoga routines on youtube...I can just light some candles and burn some incense sticks if I want a bit of ambiance

It sounds like you've been doing well with your therapist? I start seeing a therapist tomorrow. It's not my first time of being in therapy (not sure what that says about me!), but I want this year to be one where I really demonstrate self-care so I'm determined to work through the stuff that's been holding me back
    My debt-free diary
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 2nd Feb 18, 8:11 PM
    • 2,272 Posts
    • 6,942 Thanks
    Munchin
    Hi Lilith, iíve joined gyms in the past and they are expensive and bore me to tears. I like your cheap and cheerful candles.

I hope it all goes well with your therapist tmw. I saw 1 a few years ago & she was nice but to be honest she didnít help me but this time round the therapist has been in the same boat as me & that really helps. She takes no excuses and expects any homework done each week ...but it has worked for me. Sorry for ramble but just saying that it can take a few goes to find the right therapist .
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 3rd Feb 18, 7:51 AM
    • 1,768 Posts
    • 4,987 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Hi Munchin. i definitely agree that the right therapist can really help. Having a therapist who has been in a similar situation can help too as they can really relate to what you're going through.

I saw this therapist just before Christmas for an "introductory chat" type thing, and I really liked her because she asked questions and didn't just sit there nodding her head
    My debt-free diary
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 3rd Feb 18, 7:50 PM
    • 1,861 Posts
    • 11,262 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Hope your OH finally re-appeared Munchin!

And hereís to a lovely birthday party as well!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Ad Hoc Savings - 22/04/2018: £575.01
    My diary: ďPaid off the £31,0000! BUT- still scrimping!Ē
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 4th Feb 18, 2:21 PM
    • 2,272 Posts
    • 6,942 Thanks
    Munchin
    Thanks SS - he was exactly where I predicted . Volunteering part was good but I'm so glad it's over. Birthday party was great and my brother turned up with his wee ones to have fun on the bouncy castle.

I took Mum to mass this morning and I normally switch off during the priest's sermon but today was so relevant as he was talking about modern society and our mental health. It brought home to me OHs mental health and reinforced that we all have to have a good work life balance. I get the super duper early train in the morning and also the late train in the evening and I work flexi so to help with my work/life balance I either need to go to work later or leave earlier or the 3rd option is to use my flexi for leave. This is easier said than done but I know I'm nearly always the first person in and the last person to leave.

Money front - I stopped at Mr Ts yesterday for the odd thing and ended up spending £17.70 and then after the b'day party OH asked me to stop at local shop and spent another £5.50. I also spent £35 on diesel but that should last me almost 2 weeks.On the plus side we have enough in the freezer and cupboards to keep us going quite a while with only a top up on the necessities needed.

I also set up new savings account with limited access and from next month that is where the Maldives money is going.

Watching Columbo with a nice cup of tea and that is really the excitement for Sunday
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 4th Feb 18, 2:29 PM
    • 2,272 Posts
    • 6,942 Thanks
    Munchin
    Update

Money - 06 Feb 2018

Everything else - £150/£92.74 left
    Groceries - £100/£15.04 left
    Diesel - £80/£45 left

Surveys & Voucher (Additional income)

Swagbucks - 484 SB (999SB = £5 paypal)
    Receipt Hog - 1384 coins (1500 coins = £5/ 2850 coins = £10/ 5300 coins = £20/12000 coins = £50)
    Topcashback -£7.12 payable / £8.12 pending
    Prolific - £7.66
    Travel expense (volunteering) - £5.60 pending

Weekly Spends

Sun - 04th - NSD (2)
    Mon 05th - NSD (3)
    Tues 06th - £9.25 Asda & £12 lunch
    Wed 07th - NSD (4)
    Thurs 08th - £2.50 (Mr T)
    Fri 09th - NSD (5)
    Sat 10th - £28.95 (Asda)
    Last edited by Munchin; 11-02-2018 at 9:08 AM.

• Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 5th Feb 18, 5:17 AM
    • 1,768 Posts
    • 4,987 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    A work-life balance is so important. I do the usual 9-5 so I guess that's not so bad, but I'm aware I need to make more time outside of work to do things which help my mental health. Work takes up so much of our time so it's nice to reward ourselves, and it doesn't necessarily have to cost money (going for walks in the country etc).
    My debt-free diary
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 6th Feb 18, 9:02 PM
    • 2,272 Posts
    • 6,942 Thanks
    Munchin
    Evening,

Work life balance hasnít quite worked out. 15 colleagues including most of my staff are sick with the flu, so I wasnít home until after 7 tonight again. I canít believe how many are sick at the same time and 3 had to go home today...so hoping I donít catch it. Once they are back in work I will concentrate on sorting out the balance.

I went out to lunch with a friend yesterday and it was great to catch up and to clear my head from the work madness.

Meal prep & work stuff sorted for the morning
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 6th Feb 18, 9:36 PM
    • 3,880 Posts
    • 25,862 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    You must be tired out Munchin. I hope they all recover soon.
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build an Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Then save up for repairs to the house.
    Emergency Fund 1 = £530/Emergency Fund 2 = £0/Loss of Income Fund £0
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 7th Feb 18, 7:01 AM
    • 2,272 Posts
    • 6,942 Thanks
    Munchin
    Hi HHD, only back from a lovely relaxing week at home with big plans on spending less time at work and Iím v tired already. I was trying to work out how I could get in earlier today and OH talked some sense into me as that would mean a 5am start to get the bus at 6.15 rather than my usual 5.30. It also snowed again last night so had a hairy journey to train station.

I hate to see what way my day will pan out as it started like this.....Iím on the train and quite hungry but I have my meal prep done (smug me) and will have overnight oats when I get to work. I thought that nope Iím hungry so thought I would have my homemade blueberry muffin (sugar free) which I had wrapped in tin foil last night. I unwrapped it and it has morphed into a really smelly lump of blue cheese. . Obviously picked up wrong thing on way out the door... I wonder what I have actually packed for lunch.

Hopefully an NSD today. I really fancy a nice coffee but I also have a make your own instant cappuccino in my drawer. MSE life for me

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 7th Feb 18, 3:06 PM
    • 3,880 Posts
    • 25,862 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    That's hilarious about the blue cheese but also very sad
    NEW GOALS - Build an Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Then save up for repairs to the house.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 7th Feb 18, 3:10 PM
    • 3,880 Posts
    • 25,862 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Your old diary is back Munchin
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 7th Feb 18, 3:15 PM
    • 6,255 Posts
    • 12,393 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Do you want your old and new diaries merged Munchin?
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 7th Feb 18, 7:30 PM
    • 3,880 Posts
    • 25,862 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Actually I've just remembered that Munchin didn't lose her diary, she started a new one because she was debt free. You can tell I'm tired .
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 7th Feb 18, 7:37 PM
    • 1,768 Posts
    • 4,987 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    I bet the cheese was a shock! I can't stand blue cheese so I'd have been gutted!

I was so tempted to buy myself a soft drink today but managed to resist the temptation and avoid the shop altogether!
    My debt-free diary
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 9th Feb 18, 7:43 PM
    • 1,861 Posts
    • 11,262 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Hi HHD, only back from a lovely relaxing week at home with big plans on spending less time at work and Iím v tired already. I was trying to work out how I could get in earlier today and OH talked some sense into me as that would mean a 5am start to get the bus at 6.15 rather than my usual 5.30. It also snowed again last night so had a hairy journey to train station.

I hate to see what way my day will pan out as it started like this.....Iím on the train and quite hungry but I have my meal prep done (smug me) and will have overnight oats when I get to work. I thought that nope Iím hungry so thought I would have my homemade blueberry muffin (sugar free) which I had wrapped in tin foil last night. I unwrapped it and it has morphed into a really smelly lump of blue cheese. . Obviously picked up wrong thing on way out the door... I wonder what I have actually packed for lunch.

Hopefully an NSD today. I really fancy a nice coffee but I also have a make your own instant cappuccino in my drawer. MSE life for me
    Originally posted by Munchin
    What did you actually pack for lunch Munchin?

Hope things have quietened down at work and youíre feeling less tired. These dark mornings are no help when you have such an early start to the working morning.

Good girl on the MSE coffee!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Ad Hoc Savings - 22/04/2018: £575.01
    My diary: ďPaid off the £31,0000! BUT- still scrimping!Ē
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 11th Feb 18, 9:04 AM
    • 2,272 Posts
    • 6,942 Thanks
    Munchin
    Hi all,

Thanks for checking HHD & ES but I was lucky my diary wasn't affected and glad to see people are getting their old diaries sorted. It did make me appreciate how useful these diaries are to keep ourselves on track and also sometimes you put things on the diary that you can't share in real life which is so helpful.

Lilith - well done on the soft drink- I wrestle with the wee voice on my shoulder all the time. It's only a coffee...& it will only cost £x but it all soon adds up.

SS- I think lunch was ok .

I woke up this morning to a winter wonderland outside (snow is back) and I'm supposed to go pick up my mum at at 9.45 for mass but I'm going to text her and say it's a duvet day. We have a really steep drive and it's bad enough when I have to go down it in snow/ice for work but I can't expect to drag OH out of bed to get me out to take Mum to mass. Once I get off the drive (sideways) then the road isn't gritted for about 1.5 miles and then up to Mum's another 1.5 of no grit and back down it to mass and back up to Mum's, so basically lots of driving on non treated roads when I don't really have to leave the house. I think it's a guilt thing that I should be doing something for someone but in reality we both 'should' be staying in the house.

Thankfully most of my staff came back to work on Friday and they were still coughing and spluttering. One girl was annoyed that a piece of work she was doing which was really simple was still outstanding and I had to advise her (without launching myself across the desk and battering her) that I was totally on my own and had to prioritise everyone's tasks by deadline and if she had still been off sick I would have got to hers by the deadline. I know people can't help being sick but I think a bit of consideration for the knackered people left behind who were trying to spin all the plates and keep things ticking over should be expected as well.

It has been really good for the budget as apart form buying the box of capuccinos I wasn't out anywhere to spend any money. The only spends were yesterday with my top up shop in Mr Ts which still came to almost £30. I don't have much left in the groceries budget but this is the same every month so I probably should look at increasing that budget a bit.

Plans today only include visiting my sister in law much later today and OH will be driving in his jeep which is a lot safer than my car that does not do well in the snow.

Tomorrow will be another attempt at sorting out that work life balance. My therapist says that we are going to work towards improving my self worth and getting up and leaving work at 4pm is part of that plan....didn't manage it last week. My Director is on leave this week and I'm keeping an eye on her emails so not sure if I will manage to escape all that early but again the positive spin is that I am in the double digits on my flexi.

Plans for the week ahead - not a lot to be honest which isn't a bad thing. Hopefully corner wee sis to sort out my hair, pancake day & the start of lent...I think I will give up alcohol for the 6 weeks......no hope of giving up chocolate

Have a lovely Sunday
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 11th Feb 18, 9:10 AM
    • 2,272 Posts
    • 6,942 Thanks
    Munchin
    Update

Money - 11 Feb 2018

Everything else - £150/£92.74 left
    Groceries - £100/£15.04 left
    Diesel - £80/£45 left

Surveys & Voucher (Additional income)

Swagbucks - 525 SB (999SB = £5 paypal)
    Receipt Hog - 1384 coins (1500 coins = £5/ 2850 coins = £10/ 5300 coins = £20/12000 coins = £50)
    Topcashback -£9.69 payable / £5.55 pending
    Prolific - £7.66
    Travel expense (volunteering) - £5.60 pending

Weekly Spends

Sun - 11th -
    Mon 12th -
    Tues 13th -
    Wed 14th -
    Thurs 15th -
    Fri 16th -
    Sat 17th -
    Last edited by Munchin; 11-02-2018 at 1:50 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,625Posts Today

8,751Users online

Martin's Twitter