Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 1st Feb 18, 4:00 PM
    • 2,440Posts
    • 7,561Thanks
    Munchin
    Munchinís debt free diary (the final one!!!)
    • 1st Feb 18, 4:00 PM
    Munchinís debt free diary (the final one!!!) 1st Feb 18 at 4:00 PM
    Hi all,

After a few bumps along the road I finally became debt free on 29 January 2018 .

I paid off about £26,000 in my last 3 diaries over the course of 10 years. I started my first diary to clear 1 lot of debt and then once it was gone...I took on more debt . So the purpose of this new diary is to start afresh with no debt (just love saying that) and to put down my savings goals and plans for the year ahead. I will do an SOA in the next post.

A little bit about myself I live in N Ireland with my OH and my fur-baby (dog).

During the coming year I want to focus on my savings and the main things are Ė

- An Emergency fund for a rainy day Ė hopefully £2000 by Dec and the second goal will be £10,000 and the final goal is £30,000.

- Holiday 2018 Ė weíre planning on going away for a week in Sept so will aim for £600.

- Finally a dream trip to the Maldives in 2019 Ė approx. £3000.

As I said in last diary in the months ahead my diary will continue to be about penny pinchingÖ.probably giving off to myself about frittering and mainly about getting my budgets funded.

Edit: Oct 2018 - debt created but a new bathroom to show for it)
    Last edited by Munchin; 01-10-2018 at 9:15 PM.
    Scrimpy Challenge 1 - Banish the Debt - £270 paid/£6,000 (4.5% paid)
    Scrimpy Challenge 2 - Emergency fund - £72/£6,000(1.2%)
    Scrimpy Challenge 3 - Dream Holiday - £1000/£3000 (33%)

Slimmer me - Start @ 01 Nov 83.9kg/Aim 63kg - Current - 10 Nov - 81.9kg
Page 12
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 24th Aug 18, 4:59 AM
    • 1,935 Posts
    • 5,579 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    That's frustrating

I hope you manage to enjoy your BH weekend and put it to the back of your mind for a bit.
    My debt-free diary
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 25th Aug 18, 6:34 AM
    • 2,440 Posts
    • 7,561 Thanks
    Munchin
    Day 24 & 25

My friend rang me from work to let me know job results were out so I got her to check my email and I didnít get the job . Iím disappointed but more embarrassed because everyone expected me to get it. Itís only a job and it would have meant a better work life balance but I just need to accept it and move on. I also hope the person they picked is a complete psycho.

Yesterday I went for lunch with my brother and it was delicious and great fun.

Today is going to be very boring. I have a test I have to prep for and minutes to write -
    • Prep for test
    • Minutes
    • Pack for Dublin
    • Register for holiday flights
    • Tidy house.
    Last edited by Munchin; 27-08-2018 at 3:34 PM.
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 26th Aug 18, 8:02 AM
    • 1,935 Posts
    • 5,579 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    I'm sorry to hear about the job Do you think there'll be other openings where you work?

Hope your test prep goes ok
    My debt-free diary
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 27th Aug 18, 3:42 PM
    • 2,440 Posts
    • 7,561 Thanks
    Munchin
    MM Day 27

Hi Lilith, yes there are lots of opportunities coming up over the next few months and I will keep an eye out. OH is amazed how much I have bounced back but at end of the day, if it was for me it wouldn't have gone by me and maybe there are issues I wouldn't have wanted to deal with. I'm very much glass half full kind of person . I'm not looking forward to going back to work tomorrow and listening to lots of sympathy but it will all blow over in a few days and I start my holidays next week and I have that to look forward to.

We went to see the Pope in Pheonix park yesterday and it was an amazing day, but a very late night. We went down on a bus paid for by the parish but it was a wee bit spendy as we couldn't expect my Aunt and Mum to pay for their food as they are both OAPs.

Today has been spendy as I got new trainers which I needed. I went to an outlet store and picked the nicest ones and cheapest ones. We stopped at Starbucks and had a coffee...yup that's frittering but it was quality time with my Mum.

OH is working away today and I'm supposed to be doing ironing and practice tests and I've only done 1 test but I have another week to prepare......head isn't in the right place for it today or it is buried deeply in the sand .
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 28th Aug 18, 5:14 AM
    • 1,935 Posts
    • 5,579 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    It's great that you've got the "glass half full" view. I'm definitely of the belief that if something is meant to be, it will happen. I'm sure something more suitable will come up eventually.
    My debt-free diary
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 30th Aug 18, 7:48 AM
    • 2,440 Posts
    • 7,561 Thanks
    Munchin
    MM Day 30

Morning,

Oh my giddy Aunt, it's the end of the month and the budgets are empty but this month the frittering was significantly reduced .

I'm out on a works do tomorrow so I am going to have to borrow from Sept's budgets. I got paid yesterday and Sept is good to go on the budget front but I'm going to continue on the money mindful bandwagon.

I've heard on the grapevine that the person that was offered 'my' job hasn't accepted yet and those that interviewed him are concerned. Is it bitter to be happy about that???? OH said I should turn it down if I'm offered it....1) I'm pretty sure the guy will accept the post..2) who is to say that I'm next in line anyway and 3) if I was offered it and didn't accept it would be cutting of my nose to spite my face. That is the last of the job discussion as I'm moving on and forgetting about it.

Holiday - OH & I are heading away next week on our holidays. Neither of us have packed but at least I have all the paperwork printed. I need to go through the suitcase tonight and see what I have. I read an article this week in our local paper from our neighbour who in his lifetime has travelled to over 100 countries and he said that we take far too much with us on holidays and he described how he packed which I'm going to try. OK will probably still have far too much but I will try.

Money front - I forgot to mention the TV spluttered and died and we have no picture but we do have sound. OH dropped it into the electrical shop in the hope it can be repaired... I had to watch Great British Bake off in minature. Emergency fund is going to take a hit no matter what, either to fix or replace it.

I guess I better start and do some work.

Monthly budget - Aug 18

Groceries - £100/£13.29 left
    Eating out -£50/£0 left
    Household & Misc - ££40/£0 left
    Diesel - £80/£0 left
    Work - £100/£0 left
    Gift/Event - £50/£0 left
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 1st Sep 18, 10:11 AM
    • 2,440 Posts
    • 7,561 Thanks
    Munchin
    Morning,

I have so many things to do today that I am going to put it down as my 'to do' list. I have a test on Tues I'm planning on prepping for today and tomorrow and I have to check my holiday stuff for holiday on Wed. Good news front my car passed her MOT this morning , which only cost me £30.50 for the appointment

To Do
    • MOT - done
    • Remove shellac from nails (hated job)
    • Iron pile (neglected this week)
    • Sort out holiday stuff
    • Take clothes to recycling- done
    • Sort out document box which I emptied to find Car cert
    • Return bag to Primark (which isn't mine) & buy sunscreen
    • Weed Dad's grave
    • At least 3 hours of practice papers
    Last edited by Munchin; 01-09-2018 at 2:48 PM.

• Munchin
    • By Munchin 1st Sep 18, 5:03 PM
    • 2,440 Posts
    • 7,561 Thanks
    Munchin
    Hi again,

I almost managed everything today . I didn't quite manage the 3 hours of studying as it was SO boring. I managed a few hours and I have all day tomorrow.

I dug out all my clothes for my holidays which I've gathered up over the years and a lot of them never get worn. Some were too small and others just were done. So I bagged them up and took them to the recycle/charity bin. I now know that everything for my holiday fits and looks good .

I popped into the main town to return the bag (not mine), I then went to B& M to get sunscreen and managed to spend £9. I went to Superdrug and spent £17 which I hadn't planned on spending but hey ho it's done now. I don't want to fall into frittering but I'm busy the next few days and then holiday so I have no chance to fritter... I hope

Budget set for month ahead and I have money for holiday set aside which includes £223 in euros.

Monthly budget - 01 Sept 18

Groceries - £120/£113.16 left
    Eating out -£30/£30 left
    Household & Misc - £60/£49.74 left
    Diesel - £80/£45 left
    Work - £40/£40 left
    Gift/Event - £50/£26.12 left
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 2nd Sep 18, 8:41 AM
    • 1,935 Posts
    • 5,579 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    You've been getting a lot done, Munchin, well done!

It's so satisfying to be able to declutter. I'm sure there's probably more that hubby and I could do, but we did get rid of a lot previously.
    My debt-free diary
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 2nd Sep 18, 1:53 PM
    • 2,440 Posts
    • 7,561 Thanks
    Munchin
    Hi Lilith - I always feel very accomplished when I have a good clear out but it also surprises me how quickly it all builds up and I can't blame it on OH.

I think I'm coming to the end of my study for today as I'm dipping into diaryland a bit more. The only thing I didn't get done yesterday is get the house cleaned but I planned on doing that on Tuesday night before we go on holiday so that we have a clean house to come home to. However, OH is pootling round the house cleaning and tidying (bathroom included!!!). I'm tired of looking at books now but I don't want to stop in case he hands the mop to me so will catch up on diaries for a bit longer....is that wrong......

I will have to write out another To Do list for the packing on Tuesday night. I have everything printed - flights, car parking, hotel etc. I have mozzie repellent (taking last year's advice from the threads regarding Skin so Soft), antihistamines (sounds like a fun holiday)etc. We are going for 7 nights so I really don't need that much as I can double up on most things.

Plans for the rest of day include reading a book and maybe come back to studying in an hour or 2 when I'm less fed up with it. Tomorrow I have work and sis is doing my fake tan...I am so pale it is embarrassing on holiday. Tuesday I have to take pup to the vet, sit my test and pack for my holiday. Wednesday is my holiday and then back to business next Thurs
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 2nd Sep 18, 7:24 PM
    • 2,256 Posts
    • 13,962 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Hi Munchin! Finally caught up with your goings on and love your new Mindful Money mantra! Won't harp on about the job but I'm sure there'll be something in the bag for you shortly.

I see you've got everything organised beautifully for your holiday - read your tip on Skin So Soft - I'm going to recommend it to DD and her OH as they spend a lot of time up on the Scottish West Coast - which is like Mossie Central in the summer! I understand the army use it as well when they're on manoeuvres up there.

Hope the tan goes well tomorrow!
    SSG x
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Ad Hoc Savings - 07/11/2018 - £1771.05
    MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 30
    My diary: ďPaid off the £31,0000! BUT- still scrimping!Ē
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 10th Sep 18, 3:32 PM
    • 2,440 Posts
    • 7,561 Thanks
    Munchin
    Hi,

Still on holiday but plotting and planning, so putting it down here. OH is in shower so just killing time before we head out.

SS - mini review on Skin so soft... I have 3 mozzie bites in total, which for me is amazing. I usually have at minimum 3 on 1 foot never mind the rest of my legs, so for me it’s the way to go. I also brought antihistamine tablets and bite ease stuff so not suffering at all this holiday. We hired a car for 2 days and did a boat trip to the blue caves. Cut out the tourist bit as much as possible as we did a lot of it last year.

I bought a Greek fruit/salad bowl as I regretted not buying it last year. Food has been plentiful & amazing. We could have saved more by eating in but I can do that at home.

Home - so we have 1 day left & will make most of it. OH is brown and I am pink. Planning ahead & I want to pay a bit more to credit card and have created 2 new wish list pots in YNAB for a new phone & perfume. The wish list is to help with frittering as I can’t buy until I have the money. I have also budgeted £35 per week on food when we return.

OH is out of shower so time to figure out where to eat
    Last edited by Munchin; 15-09-2018 at 8:27 AM.
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 11th Sep 18, 6:43 AM
    • 2,440 Posts
    • 7,561 Thanks
    Munchin
    Morning

I am sitting out on patio with my second cup of coffee & the only plan today is sit at the pool & pick up some freckles.

Last night we headed out and neither of us fancied a set down meal, so just had a chicken pitta (kebab) to go ...classy.

Iíve really enjoyed my holiday and would like it to last another few days but really canít let the plane go without me tomorrow. Thanks to therapy I have felt much more positive and less self conscious than before and even donned a bikini... but got belly burnt so more sun cream needed.

Budget - I forgot a 3rd thing on my wish list... I dropped the iron before we left and bits flew off it. It is still working but will need replaced.

It is 8.40am here and Iím the only 1 up and no towels on sun beds yet!!!!!

• Munchin
    • By Munchin 11th Sep 18, 8:25 AM
    • 2,440 Posts
    • 7,561 Thanks
    Munchin
    Surveys & Vouchers (Additional income) @ 13 Sept

Surveys
    Swagbucks - 360 SB (800 SB = £5 paypal)
    Receipt Hog - 158 coins (1500 coins = £5/ 2850 coins = £10/ 5300 coins = £20/12000 coins = £50)
    Topcashback - £1.35 payable
    Prolific - £0
    Travel expense (volunteering) - £6.40 pending

Budgets- w/c Mon 10th Sept 18

Grocery/Food - £102pm/£20.79 spent
    Fuel -£80pm/£30 left
    Household -£30/£19 left
    Last edited by Munchin; 15-09-2018 at 8:26 AM.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 11th Sep 18, 10:26 AM
    • 5,747 Posts
    • 40,597 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Sorry about the job Munchin but I'm sure the right one will come along when it's meant to be.

Your holiday sounds lovely and much deserved after all your hard work.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    EMERGENCY FUND = £17
    "Tough times never last, but tough people do" - Robert H Schuller
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 13th Sep 18, 9:04 AM
    • 2,440 Posts
    • 7,561 Thanks
    Munchin
    Thanks HHD - but itís nothing in the great scheme.

So OH & I got home last night and it was so cold. This morning it is miserable outside but will nosy at holiday photos to cheer myself up. We stopped at Mr Ts for the essentials and OH snuck beer & wine into the basket which I paid for. OH says we are doing a dry October which is no bother for me and I think after holiday excess it will be good.
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 14th Sep 18, 1:42 PM
    • 2,440 Posts
    • 7,561 Thanks
    Munchin
    Afternoon,

I'm really feeling the cold now I'm home and have on a woolly jumper which I think is a bit early in the year but it is doing the job. I ordered 900l of heating oil yesterday before it goes up anymore and it cost £460!!! It should do us right through the winter, as we have a wood burning stove.

I have my winter prep list from the last few years so I need to bring it forward for 2018. The good news is heating oil is sorted and my car has been MOT'd so will be winter ready. We have a curtain on the hall door from last year so lots of winter prep done before I even look at my list .

Budget - I amended my YNAB budget so that I now have 3 separate budgets. One main budget and then a separate savings budget (& I'm not tempted to sneak into it) and I now have a Euro's budget which is good as we cross into the South regularly and usually have some Euros about. I have increased my payments to my credit card and hopefully will be debt free again sooner rather than later.

Health - As you know I'm in ED recovery but the long and short is I have put on 3 stone and am fed up. I know that I feel great now and am not as obsessed as I was before therapy but I also know there was 2 occasions on holiday when old ED behaviours snuck up on me but I didn't act on them. I want to tackle this weight but at the same time not trigger the ED. My plan is to focus on regular exercise which includes yoga, running and getting my steps up. I want to lose 3 stone but it will have to be slowly so no specific timeframe but I would to be in a leaner/healthier place by this time next year.

Plans tomorrow -
    • Iron holiday clothes
    • Volunteer for 1 hour
    • Tidy house
    • If it is dry I need to tackle the weeds so I'm hoping for rain.

• Munchin
    • By Munchin 14th Sep 18, 2:16 PM
    • 2,440 Posts
    • 7,561 Thanks
    Munchin
    I have, as per usual, borrowed the Winter prep list from the 'Preparing for winter' thread. I have tweaked it already and removed things that are not relevant for me ie Conservatory advice.

Winter Checklist

Clothes
    Wash all coats, scarves gloves
    Wash and mend jumpers and cardigans when you have done this for the time being put them away in the vacuum seal bags to keep them fresh and out of the way of moths until needed.
    Repair or buy new socks
    Check Wellingtons
    Polish all shoes and boots
    Go back through clothing checking what you need and what you need to replace. Think - what will I wear - what do I need?
    Put away all your summer clothes in either those vacuum bags or in a suitcase for the following year.

Car
    Buy in screenwash now (either ready mixed or concentrate)
    October make sure all fluid levels in cars are correct
    Check tyre pressures and tread levels
    Clean car inside and out making sure car has good amount of wax which protect it from harsh elements and salt and grit on the roads which will cause rust.
    If possible make sure your car has rubber mats to catch wet and snow. Check Pound shops for cheap mats for £1.00 or so each.
    Make sure that your mobile phone has enough credit in the event of an emergency on it.
    If possible clean out your garage and put your car away each night. This will also help with insurance premiums as well and save you de-icing in the morning.

Food
    Stock up on tinned products such as soup, rice pudding, baked beans and spaghetti. These items will keep as good store cupboard standbys.
    Check and clean out your freezer, make a list of what you have and what you need to buy in. Keep at least two loaves of bread in the freezer. A clean frost free freezer will work better than a ice capped one!
    If anything crops up on BOGOF and it will keep/freeze for winter buy it and store it.
    Make a start on your Christmas food shopping list, a lot of it can be frozen.
    Create a 'stash cupboard' or area where you can put all of your extra buys away safely.
    Sink four pints of milk in the freezer or have UHT milk in on standby.

House and garden

Get your boiler serviced
    Chimney swept
    Snow Shovel - do you need it?
    Buy in your logs and coal now while cheap deals are on offer. If you can and you have storage buy in your winters stock in one go.
    Clean your home
    Clean out your guttering and facias
    Clear away all fallen leaves
    Clean windows inside and out
    Launder you winter duvet and change over when the weather turns, now is also a good time to pick up reduced summer duvets for next year!
    Launder all your throws
    Buy in cheap white candles in case of a power cut. Also keep a torch on standby and use in emergency.
    If you have oil CH try to make sure that your tank is stocked up by the end of October
    - done 13 Sept.
    Buy in Flannelette sheets.
    Tidy your shed up to make more room in there.
    Put all garden furniture away (either in shed or garage) by the second week of October. If you have no room to store - buy garden furniture covers to protect your investment.
    Spring is generally the time to use wood preservative on your fences, but if you can there is no harm in coating them now, it's just that shrubs might get in the way making your job more difficult.
    Cut back everything in the garden late October to give your garden a big boost the following Spring. Roses love this!
    Wash curtains and cushion covers
    Clean Your carpets on a good warm day so that they have a good chance of drying quickly
    Buy in or make dehumidifiers from Pound stores or use household salt in a bowl to draw in moisture.
    Oil all shed and gates locks, it will prevent rust and stop them seizing up when you most need to open them.
    Drain any outside taps and protect and cover either with an old towel and then covered over with plastic or buy a proper outside tap cover.
    If your interior doormats can be washed in the machine do them.
    Re-silicone shower areas where the silicone has turned black or mouldy, take it out and redo it. Easy job but so often overlooked. Having the window open also allows the silicone to cure or go off better.
    Wash your vacuum cleaner filters out. It will help with your HEPA filter and keep your home cleaner as well, it will also make your vacuum work and perform better.
    Put away all garden pots and ornaments if they are not frost proof and protect them.
    Check lightbulbs and outside security lighting if broken replace or repair.
    Buy in batteries now.
    Put food out for the birds they will so thank you for it. Buy in their food now while it is plentiful.
    Get your paracetamol, throat lozengers and cough mixtures in now, when you are feeling ill the last thing you want to do is traipse down to Boots having to get it in. Mixtures have good dates on them and when you are feeling lousy the well stocked medicine cabinet will be a huge relief!
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 14th Sep 18, 4:18 PM
    • 5,747 Posts
    • 40,597 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    A good list for winter. It makes me feel a bit tired reading it though .
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    EMERGENCY FUND = £17
    "Tough times never last, but tough people do" - Robert H Schuller
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 15th Sep 18, 8:24 AM
    • 2,440 Posts
    • 7,561 Thanks
    Munchin
    Hi HHD,

Itís a bit of a list but thankfully most of it we do a lot of the time anyway.

Sitting with my coffee and getting ready to tackle my plans for the day. Iíve not been out for a run for ages as knee was niggling so I have dragged out my orthotics and will slowly start to adapt to them again.

After that I will do some volunteering and then the mountain of iron.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

50Posts Today

3,063Users online

Martin's Twitter