Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 1st Feb 18, 4:00 PM
    • 2,480Posts
    • 7,747Thanks
    Munchin
    Munchin’s debt free diary (the final one!!!)
    • 1st Feb 18, 4:00 PM
    Munchin’s debt free diary (the final one!!!) 1st Feb 18 at 4:00 PM
    Hi all,

After a few bumps along the road I finally became debt free on 29 January 2018 .

I paid off about £26,000 in my last 3 diaries over the course of 10 years. I started my first diary to clear 1 lot of debt and then once it was gone...I took on more debt . So the purpose of this new diary is to start afresh with no debt (just love saying that) and to put down my savings goals and plans for the year ahead. I will do an SOA in the next post.

A little bit about myself I live in N Ireland with my OH and my fur-baby (dog).

During the coming year I want to focus on my savings and the main things are –

- An Emergency fund for a rainy day – hopefully £2000 by Dec and the second goal will be £10,000 and the final goal is £30,000.

- Holiday 2018 – we’re planning on going away for a week in Sept so will aim for £600.

- Finally a dream trip to the Maldives in 2019 – approx. £3000.

As I said in last diary in the months ahead my diary will continue to be about penny pinching….probably giving off to myself about frittering and mainly about getting my budgets funded.

Edit: Oct 2018 - debt created but a new bathroom to show for it)
    Last edited by Munchin; 01-10-2018 at 9:15 PM.
    Scrimpy Challenge 1 - Banish the Debt - £5489 to go/£6,000 (£511 paid (8.5%))

Scrimpy Challenge 2 - Emergency fund (s/t) - £50/£1,000 (5%)
    Scrimpy Challenge 3 - Emergency fund (l/t) - £2600/£5000 (52%)
    Scrimpy Challenge 4 - Dream Holiday - £1,250/£3,000 (41%)
    Scrimpy Challenge 5 - Rewire & paint house - £xx/£5000 (0%)
Page 10
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 28th Jul 18, 1:04 PM
    • 2,480 Posts
    • 7,747 Thanks
    Munchin
    Surveys & Vouchers (Additional income) @ 28 July

Surveys
    Swagbucks - 316 SB (800 SB = £5 paypal) - claimed £5 voucher today
    Receipt Hog - 2521 coins (1500 coins = £5/ 2850 coins = £10/ 5300 coins = £20/12000 coins = £50)
    Topcashback - £12.70 paid out 28 July
    Prolific - £13.72
    Travel expense (volunteering) - £12 pending

Vouchers

Post office voucher for multiple shops - £20
    House of fraser voucher - £18 left
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 28th Jul 18, 1:08 PM
    • 4,915 Posts
    • 17,191 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Hi Munchin.

Just found your diary and subscribed, good luck for the job interview I have my fingers /toes crossed.

I hadn't heard of Receipt Hog so went for a look and have signed up and have 200 points already, many thanks.
    Be mindful of your self-talk. It's a conversation with the Universe."
    Debt free and saving for my future
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 28th Jul 18, 4:23 PM
    • 2,480 Posts
    • 7,747 Thanks
    Munchin
    Hi Pennywise - thank you. Receipt hog is great as it's so simple to use. I get OH and my Mum to keep their receipts for me .
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 30th Jul 18, 9:05 AM
    • 2,480 Posts
    • 7,747 Thanks
    Munchin
    Morning ,

My weekend is over but I'm on leave today so I have a nice extension .

We had the torrential downpour on Saturday but at least I got to be inside watching it. My poor sis was working and her shop was flooded, she sent me a clip of her wading through the water and the scary part was that the water was coming through the roof and light fittings. It can be fixed and is not as bad as some places I saw on the news and she is being very optimistic.

OH & I went to the beach yesterday. We are so used to going to our favourite beach and it being totally empty so it was kind of strange as there were loads of people about.

We popped into Lidl for a few odds so that is basically my grocery budget for July totally gone.

Money front - I've been trying to buffer on YNAB so that I'm not living paycheck to paycheck but then I dip into the buffer and get no further forward. This morning I've changed the categories so that rather than having 1 budget called 'Monthly' and everything squished into it in a total sum. It is now 10 separate categories. In total I have 27 categories on YNAB which includes savings and the plan is to start with the smallest amounts and buffer the small ones first and work up to the bigger amounts for exampes rates and rent. I now have 6 categories buffered and 21 to go. I have £50 saved towards the rates buffer and it will be next on my list. I've noted this down here so that I know what I'm doing.

I'm not sure what our plans are today but at some point it will involve meal prepping for the week ahead. Tomorrow I have my first class of yoga and hopefully work will be nice and calm during the week ahead
    Last edited by Munchin; 30-07-2018 at 9:18 AM.
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 1st Aug 18, 7:01 AM
    • 2,480 Posts
    • 7,747 Thanks
    Munchin
    Morning,

August has arrived and I’m determined (again ) not to fritter this month.

I received a reminder yesterday about my MOT which is due in Sept. I booked online and it cost £30.50. My date is the 1st Sat in Sept just before I go on holiday but hopefully my car will pass and cost me nothing else this year.

I went to yoga last night and was not in the mood but really enjoyed it. I feel a bit stiff this morning.

Today is my 1st day of being money mindful and it will be getting of to a slow start as treating a friend to lunch for her birthday which was agreed ages ago. I have work lottery, milk club and contribution to bosses leaving present to pay. At least I’m aware of where my money is going .
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 1st Aug 18, 7:03 AM
    • 4,915 Posts
    • 17,191 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Morning Munchin, good luck for your money mindful month.

Have a good day x
    Be mindful of your self-talk. It's a conversation with the Universe."
    Debt free and saving for my future
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 1st Aug 18, 7:04 AM
    • 2,480 Posts
    • 7,747 Thanks
    Munchin
    Monthly budget - Aug 18

Groceries - £100/£xx spent
    Eating out -£40/£xx spent
    Household - ££40/£xx spent
    Diesel - £80/£xx spent
    Work - £100/£32.75 spent
    Gift/Event - £50/£20 spent
    Last edited by Munchin; 02-08-2018 at 7:55 PM.

• Munchin
    • By Munchin 1st Aug 18, 8:18 PM
    • 2,480 Posts
    • 7,747 Thanks
    Munchin
    MM Day 1

Thanks Pennyw.

So today I didn’t fritter but still spent £32.75 (work & lunch out). I did some window shopping but didn’t buy anything.

Tea tonight was Irish stew which OH had made. It was perfect as I was cold, tired and wet and wasn’t home til late.

• Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 2nd Aug 18, 5:27 AM
    • 1,946 Posts
    • 5,646 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Well done on being money mindful. I'm definitely being more like that this month after last month I went slightly off the rails
    My debt-free diary
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 2nd Aug 18, 5:48 PM
    • 2,480 Posts
    • 7,747 Thanks
    Munchin
    MM Day 2

Hi Lilith - so so easy to fall of those rails..mine are wonky .

I did spend money today on shoes for my interview BUT I returned stuff to the shop today which I bought last month, so for this month it was zero . If I get the interview then they would be worth it - just M&S slingbacks but they look smart.

It’s always when I’m being more careful that expenses crop up. I’ve noticed I’m getting low in moisturer and foundation but I will see how far I can stretch it.

I will need diesel tmw to get me up to Belfast but that is a normal expense.

Almost the weekend
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 2nd Aug 18, 7:55 PM
    • 2,480 Posts
    • 7,747 Thanks
    Munchin
    Update - gave £20 to nephew for doing chores round his granny’s house that involved lots of heavy moving. He’s been doing chores for her for 2 weeks. Also £15 to sis for my dog’s tablets.

I think my money has wings or my purse has an ejector button .

• Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 3rd Aug 18, 6:58 AM
    • 1,946 Posts
    • 5,646 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Do you know when you'll hear about the interview, Munchin? I bet you just want to get it done?
    My debt-free diary
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 3rd Aug 18, 8:35 AM
    • 2,480 Posts
    • 7,747 Thanks
    Munchin
    MM3

Hi Lilith - interview is 15th August and it could be officially up to a week before I hear but I know that I will find out unofficially probably the next day. I keep doubting myself and worrying about the competition but all I can do is my best.

So I've had another thought on the money mindful month (it hurt ). I will continue to record what I spend but that also makes me feel guilty for everything I spend , so I'm going to record the things that I consider 'frittering' and then the plan is month by month I fritter less. So today I know that I didn't make a lunch and nothing appealed to me this morning so I will have to buy lunch today so that is my first fritter. The things I consider frittering are -
    1. Magazines
    2. Unplanned lunches
    3. Clothes (unless totally done)
    4. Shoes (unless totally done)
    5. Cosmetics (unless empty)
    6. Impulse purchases

This seems like a short list but I will just keep adding to it as I remember things. Yesterday on the train I was reading a local fashion blog and the lady had a new dress which was only £22.99 in New Look. I clicked straight over to see if it was in my size and then caught myself on. I've unfollowed her blog as that was such an impulsive thing that I nearly had it bought before I thought if I need it or if it would even suit me and the small fact that I'm not supposed to be frittering .

Ok boss is in so that will put a stop to my ramblings for a bit

Update - Fritter - £3.80 on lunch. No other spends
    Last edited by Munchin; 03-08-2018 at 4:26 PM.

• Munchin
    • By Munchin 4th Aug 18, 11:29 AM
    • 2,480 Posts
    • 7,747 Thanks
    Munchin
    MM Day 4

Morning , I'm a bit tired today. We went to Evita last night and it was amazing. I managed to park nearby and I spent £14 on parking, wine for my Mum and water for me. Quite a cheap night out. I got home about 10.30pm and I wasn't tired but sat up reading to near 1!!. I'm feeling it now and it's my own fault.

Today, pup & I have been out for a run but haven't done much more than that, so I better do a list to motivate me.

I have a cold sore starting on my lip!!! I don't need that especially before an interview.

Plans today-
    • Tidy house (hoover, polish etc)
    • Iron
    • interview prep
    • Grocery shop
    Last edited by Munchin; 05-08-2018 at 7:16 AM.

• Munchin
    • By Munchin 4th Aug 18, 11:34 AM
    • 2,480 Posts
    • 7,747 Thanks
    Munchin
    Monthly budget - Aug 18

Groceries - £100/£11.77 spent
    Eating out -£40/£13.80 spent
    Household & Misc - ££40/£4 spent
    Diesel - £80/£16 spent
    Work - £100/£32.75 spent
    Gift/Event - £50/£20 spent

August fritter - £
    Last edited by Munchin; 11-08-2018 at 6:30 AM.
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 5th Aug 18, 8:24 PM
    • 2,480 Posts
    • 7,747 Thanks
    Munchin
    MM Day 5

Evening - I managed an NSD today .

OH & I went to the coast again and pootered round a wee village. Managed to eat out of store cupboard and freezer, so being mindful with the pennies.

I have my lunch and breakfast ready for tomorrow, and hopefully I will have another NSD.
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 6th Aug 18, 9:35 PM
    • 2,480 Posts
    • 7,747 Thanks
    Munchin
    MM Day 6

Frittered today - £1.99 on an Amazon book. I had read the first book which was free but wanted the end of the story. I try to read either free or charity books but this one caught me out.

Mon over and done with and I had a few spends - cereal bars for work, 2 birthday cards and 2 stamps. Not massive spends and all planned.
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 8th Aug 18, 5:15 PM
    • 2,480 Posts
    • 7,747 Thanks
    Munchin
    MM Day 7 & 8

Oops I missed my update for yesterday but thankfully it was an NSD. I went to yoga last night and managed a lovely early night afterwards.

Today so far has been an NSD. I went for a walk round the shops with a colleague at lunchtime but left my purse in the office so that I wouldn’t be tempted.

My boss has let me prep for my job interview during my work hours, so I have all my examples written down. I now just need to get it off the page and into my head.

I met friends at yoga last night and we are planning a night out next weekend. Hopefully it will be a celebratory night out if I get the job.
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 9th Aug 18, 5:30 AM
    • 1,946 Posts
    • 5,646 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    That's good that you're able to prep at work. I'll be keeping everything crossed for you
    My debt-free diary
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 11th Aug 18, 6:24 AM
    • 2,480 Posts
    • 7,747 Thanks
    Munchin
    MM Day 9 & 10

Hi Lilith, my boss is great and she has also applied for another job, so I can see why she is encouraging me.

I’ve not been well these last few days and have just gone to bed early and slept a lot. I thought it was my IBS but feeling sick isn't usually part of that. My sister is now sick with the same symptoms so it must be a bug. The positive is that I was able to sit and do Prolific surveys and now have over £20 to cash out.

No spends on Thursday but I frittered money on lunch yesterday. A number of colleagues and I had applied for promotion and we all sat the first stage which was a test. We got results yesterday and I passed which means we go to stage 2 another test (this is different to my job interview next week). Some colleagues didn’t pass so we went to lunch to commiserate...£17 spent in total.

I also bought new sandals on my House of Fraser voucher to use it up. I had heard they were in difficulties so spent the voucher. Sandals haven’t arrived so waiting to see if they were despatched before the company went into administration.

Today’s plans -
    • Run
    • Beauticians
    • Hairdressers
    • Meeting with builders (volunteer thing)
    • Tidy house
    • Interview prep

Tonight we are out at an 18th birthday party
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,541Posts Today

7,016Users online

Martin's Twitter