Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lioness Twinkletoes
    • By Lioness Twinkletoes 1st Feb 18, 3:46 PM
    • 1,285Posts
    • 4,600Thanks
    Lioness Twinkletoes
    Threat to fit prepayment meter
    • 1st Feb 18, 3:46 PM
    Threat to fit prepayment meter 1st Feb 18 at 3:46 PM
    A former energy supplier has written to advise that they might fit a pre-payment meter if a bill isn't paid. Given that this is a former supplier is this action they can take?

As an aside their customer is still waiting for a final bill and has been since November.
Page 1
    • molerat
    • By molerat 1st Feb 18, 3:56 PM
    • 18,587 Posts
    • 12,739 Thanks
    molerat
    • 1st Feb 18, 3:56 PM
    • 1st Feb 18, 3:56 PM
    No they can't ......... but ......... as going to court for a warrant is a bit of a rubber stamping exercise it is not beyond the incompetence of these suppliers to do just that. You need to send a formal written complaint to them and keep a copy and proof of postage.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • chanz4
    • By chanz4 1st Feb 18, 8:26 PM
    • 9,923 Posts
    • 2,887 Thanks
    chanz4
    • 1st Feb 18, 8:26 PM
    • 1st Feb 18, 8:26 PM
    Are you sure the transfer actually went through
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 1st Feb 18, 8:46 PM
    • 1,350 Posts
    • 1,137 Thanks
    House Martin
    • 1st Feb 18, 8:46 PM
    • 1st Feb 18, 8:46 PM
    If someone has attempted to switch supplier and not paid up the account then any switch will be rejected. If this is the case the supplier is nt "the former " supplier but the "current supplier.
    A final bill has not been sent and settled so it looks like the switch has nt gone through
    Prepayment meter users can switch with up to 500 owing.
    So yes they can fit a prepayment meter and apply for a warrant to fit it if access is refused .The customer pays for the warrant cost, about 150
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 2nd Feb 18, 5:14 AM
    • 1,613 Posts
    • 2,125 Thanks
    badmemory
    • 2nd Feb 18, 5:14 AM
    • 2nd Feb 18, 5:14 AM
    Once you accept that all energy suppliers are to be blunt incompetent, then you accept the fact that you need to check every single action that they were supposed to make. The first would be billing you correctly the second would be transferring you properly. Have they done these things? If not write to them - headed complaint - preferably special delivery so you have a record. Do not ring, funnily enough that will be the one call that wasn't recorded, strange that isn't it?
    • Lioness Twinkletoes
    • By Lioness Twinkletoes 2nd Feb 18, 10:40 AM
    • 1,285 Posts
    • 4,600 Thanks
    Lioness Twinkletoes
    • 2nd Feb 18, 10:40 AM
    • 2nd Feb 18, 10:40 AM
    Thanks everyone, for the updated responses.

I can confirm that an email from the current (new) supplier was received confirming the switch had taken place. This has now been confirmed by the new company - they've been supplying since 29 November 2017. Further, no bills from the old supplier have been produced since end September.

As far as we are aware, there was no outstanding balance and no bill has been received - at all. The only communications being received are e-mailed demands for this sum of money. There is no explanation as to how it has come about or even if it is indeed the final demand.

What I can take from this is that IF the switch has taken place (and I am confident it has) then they cannot force a pre-payment meter.

A letter has been sent a letter to the company by both e-mail and recorded delivery asking them to provide an explanation of the amount being demanded and a final bill. Once these have been received a payment plan will be set up with them.

There is no intention to avoid payment, but it would be nice to have an idea of how this figure has been generated.
    Last edited by Lioness Twinkletoes; 02-02-2018 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Edited to add info
    • Michaelw
    • By Michaelw 3rd Feb 18, 3:19 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    Michaelw
    • 3rd Feb 18, 3:19 PM
    • 3rd Feb 18, 3:19 PM
    If someone has attempted to switch supplier and not paid up the account then any switch will be rejected. If this is the case the supplier is nt "the former " supplier but the "current supplier.
    A final bill has not been sent and settled so it looks like the switch has nt gone through
    Prepayment meter users can switch with up to 500 owing.
    Originally posted by House Martin
    For many years prepayment was seen as not a real prospect for most people many didn't have to consider it an option but today the situation is completly different.It can offer benefits for some now including a lower tarriff rate,being able to switch easier with a debt and prioity asistance.Howerver this little real choice in savings per year and it does appear that some suppliers are attempting a means test before installing a prepayment meter if a customer requests when there are signs of falling into arrears on the next quartely bill.They would rater keep people on a standard tarriff at an higher rate if they can afford it.

If people cannot switch because of thir finacial position,this in turn effects the whole idea of competition.Large ammounts build in a short period of time when on a low income on credit mode/meters.
    • Lioness Twinkletoes
    • By Lioness Twinkletoes 12th Mar 18, 9:59 PM
    • 1,285 Posts
    • 4,600 Thanks
    Lioness Twinkletoes
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:59 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:59 PM
    Hi. I've got an update on this. We got confirmation from the energy company that we were no longer their customer and that they wouldn't attempt to fit a prepayment meter. We received no more letters or emails and were still waiting for the final bill. My formal complaint was kind of answered so I left it there.

Today We come home to a cold house and a boiler that isn't working. Waited all evening for a gas engineer who found out that the gas supply had been capped. There was no notification left on the gas meter and nothing put through the door. I then checked the former account to find three arrears letters including a very recent final bill. We had received none of these. Nine said anything about capping the gas supply.

Can they legally do this? It's cost an arm and leg to get an emergency gas engineer out. Ironically half of the final bill!
    Last edited by Lioness Twinkletoes; 13-03-2018 at 5:33 AM.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 12th Mar 18, 11:43 PM
    • 18,587 Posts
    • 12,739 Thanks
    molerat
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:43 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:43 PM
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/energy/energy-supply/problems-with-your-energy-supply/if-youve-been-told-your-energy-supply-will-be-disconnected/

Who is the former supplier ? They should not have disconnected without notice and they should have left notice / copy of the warrant if they have. You need to contact them and start a formal complaint. Is there anyone in the house who is considered vulnerable ?
    Last edited by molerat; 12-03-2018 at 11:46 PM.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • Lioness Twinkletoes
    • By Lioness Twinkletoes 13th Mar 18, 5:34 AM
    • 1,285 Posts
    • 4,600 Thanks
    Lioness Twinkletoes
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/energy/energy-supply/problems-with-your-energy-supply/if-youve-been-told-your-energy-supply-will-be-disconnected/

Who is the former supplier ? They should not have disconnected without notice and they should have left notice / copy of the warrant if they have. You need to contact them and start a formal complaint. Is there anyone in the house who is considered vulnerable ?
    Originally posted by molerat
    I'll contact them today. No, there is no one in the house who can be considered vulnerable.

I am absolutely livid.
    Last edited by Lioness Twinkletoes; 13-03-2018 at 5:39 AM.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 13th Mar 18, 6:25 AM
    • 3,012 Posts
    • 6,049 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Do you not have an online account, Lioness, to which you can refer? Does it not show bills? If you are on an online tariff, you would not receive paper bills.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • Lioness Twinkletoes
    • By Lioness Twinkletoes 13th Mar 18, 6:48 AM
    • 1,285 Posts
    • 4,600 Thanks
    Lioness Twinkletoes
    Do you not have an online account, Lioness, to which you can refer? Does it not show bills? If you are on an online tariff, you would not receive paper bills.
    Originally posted by Smodlet
    I have now checked this and there is another arrears letter for a higher amount so I am assuming that a final bill has been generated but it's not on the account and I've not received a copy, not online, by e-mail or post. Plus, the arrears letter was only generated a couple of days ago. Usually my former supplier would e-mail me with notification that a bill is ready. I've not received this. Plus, the letter says nothing about capping supplies - it's actually just a final reminder. Even the arrears letters are fairly gentle. There is a 'guide' as to where we are with them - and we're apparently not at 'further action' stage yet.

I am still utterly baffled - what's the point of capping the gas supply if they leave no notification that this action has been taken? What can they hope to achieve?
    Last edited by Lioness Twinkletoes; 13-03-2018 at 6:52 AM.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 13th Mar 18, 7:41 AM
    • 3,012 Posts
    • 6,049 Thanks
    Smodlet
    I imagine what they hope to achieve is that you allow them access to restore your supply... And fit a prepayment meter.

I think you really need to talk to them, Lioness, to someone in authority not just some minimum wage school leaver, and find out what the hell is going on. I know many on here advocate writing letters all the time but I have always found the phone to be the best way.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Smodlet; 13-03-2018 at 8:24 AM.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 13th Mar 18, 7:55 AM
    • 3,539 Posts
    • 2,192 Thanks
    matelodave
    Use the phone to try and get a quick response and follow it up with a letter to confirm the conversation.
    Always keep any correspondence, e-mails, PDFs or letters - ideally for a couple of years - dont just chuck them away.

You need to keep a diary of what's been going on, dates, times and who you've spoken to, when you've received letters, bills etc so you've got a timeline for when you make a complaint to the ombudsman. It saves a lot of confusion in the future.
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    Look after our planet - it's the only one with beer
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,526Posts Today

8,137Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin