Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Andrew
      Verified User verified user
    • By MSE Andrew Verified User verified user 31st Jan 18, 5:16 PM
    • 63Posts
    • 7Thanks
    MSE Andrew
    MSE News: Fury as Iresa hikes direct debits
    • 31st Jan 18, 5:16 PM
    MSE News: Fury as Iresa hikes direct debits 31st Jan 18 at 5:16 PM
    Customers of the small energy supplier Iresa have vented their anger over unexpected increases to their monthly direct debits...
    Read the full story:
    'Fury as Iresa suddenly hikes direct debits'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Page 1
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 31st Jan 18, 5:55 PM
    • 5,741 Posts
    • 3,524 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 31st Jan 18, 5:55 PM
    • 31st Jan 18, 5:55 PM
    I hope that if anybody within the Citizens Advice organisation reads this excellent article they will now push the case for a Consumer Energy Advocate as they are doing for communications. The present relationship between the supplier; Ofgem; The Energy Ombudsman and the energy consumer is broken - and it has been for sometime. It takes far too long to get simple issues and complaints resolved.
    • johnpr98
    • By johnpr98 31st Jan 18, 6:15 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    johnpr98
    • 31st Jan 18, 6:15 PM
    • 31st Jan 18, 6:15 PM
    Thank you for highlighting this issue, I was technically put in debit due to a slightly late Direct Debit payment.

I have now worked out my usage prediction on the Iresa Method billing:

Iresa bill you after your 'Customer own read' (25th of the month for an example) and again at the end of the calendar month pro rata on your own read figure.
    I was predicted £8 in debit when I actually had £12 Credit, Iresa failed to reply when I questioned the circa 50% DD increase and they took it anyway, albeit 2 days late, if the original and unchanged DD had gone through on time I would have been £18.98 in credit after been billed, then £10.01 in Credit after the second billing at the end of the month, I accept that my usage was slightly over my DD average for December. However at the end of my contract I wouldn't have at any time been less that £11.98 in Credit, I repeat Credit, at the end of my contract I predict that Iwould have been £27.73 in Credit.
    Due to the one off DD payment increase, (Iresa agreed to drop the DD back to normal for February) and if all goes according to my planned usage, my Credit will not drop below £24.05, I also predict that my final Credit will be £41.77.
    Is this fair?
    I accept this example is only one of their customers scenarios, however if multiplied across the customer base, it will have had the affect of improving cash flow for Iresa. My figures are exact but are meant to give a detailed ball park figure of the impact of their increase.

I suspect other customers have been hit far harder than me from what I've read.

Just seen this and it's worrying
    https://utilityweek.co.uk/iresa-imposes-sudden-price-hikes/
    It will not have passed under the consumer radar that both GB Energy Supply and Future Energy both hiked their direct debits shortly before closure !!!8211; there is concern this may be a warning sign that another small supplier is in trouble.
    Last edited by johnpr98; 31-01-2018 at 8:46 PM. Reason: Update
    • The Green Hornet
    • By The Green Hornet 31st Jan 18, 8:34 PM
    • 378 Posts
    • 613 Thanks
    The Green Hornet
    • 31st Jan 18, 8:34 PM
    • 31st Jan 18, 8:34 PM
    MSE News: Fury as Iresa hikes direct debits
    Originally posted by MSE Andrew
    Fury?

I very much doubt that customers have had an outburst of violent or uncontrolled anger at their direct debits going up, so why the hyperbole?
    6 x Sharp 220 W panels. 1.32 kWp. SMA Sunny Boy 1200 inverter. South facing 30 degree pitch roof with no shading. Eco-eye SmartPV monitor + energyhive.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 31st Jan 18, 9:37 PM
    • 5,741 Posts
    • 3,524 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 31st Jan 18, 9:37 PM
    • 31st Jan 18, 9:37 PM
    It would seem that Which was on the case yesterday.

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2018/01/iresa-customers-face-big-unexpected-payments/
    Last edited by Hengus; 31-01-2018 at 9:41 PM.
    • robin58
    • By robin58 31st Jan 18, 10:35 PM
    • 2,322 Posts
    • 2,599 Thanks
    robin58
    • 31st Jan 18, 10:35 PM
    • 31st Jan 18, 10:35 PM
    Why do I think this company is in financial difficulty?
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 31st Jan 18, 11:53 PM
    • 4,136 Posts
    • 1,671 Thanks
    footyguy
    • 31st Jan 18, 11:53 PM
    • 31st Jan 18, 11:53 PM
    Customers of the small energy supplier Iresa have vented their anger over unexpected increases to their monthly direct debits...
    Read the full story:
    'Fury as Iresa suddenly hikes direct debits'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven!!!8217;t already, join the forum to reply.
    Originally posted by MSE Andrew
    I am a custromer of Iresa.

I do not have a clue what you are on about. Please don't trust everything you read online. Please do not then make a news story damning a supplier based on such postings. Please do your journalistic research first. I had hoped of much better from MSE.

The truth is that whilst the supplier did change my direct debit, and tried to collect a one off payment, it was very claer why.

A billing error was the cause, and once I contacted the supplier, they agreed he error, made acorrection, deleted the one-off payment (due because accounts are not permitted to go into debt) and reverted the monthly direct debit back to what it was.

If you read the feedback thread on Iresa, you will see I posted about this at the time.

It's not entirely clear what calculations have led to the change.
    It's clear to me. I explained it in the Iresa feedback thread.

You can call Iresa on 0115 727 0982
    As a moneysaving site, why did you not do even the slightest research, and post the suppliers freephone number, so consumers are not even burdoned by the cost of the call.
    Last edited by footyguy; 31-01-2018 at 11:58 PM.
    • Boxman
    • By Boxman 1st Feb 18, 12:38 AM
    • 125 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    Boxman
    • 1st Feb 18, 12:38 AM
    • 1st Feb 18, 12:38 AM
    I am a custromer of Iresa.

As a moneysaving site, why did you not do even the slightest research, and post the suppliers freephone number, so consumers are not even burdoned by the cost of the call.
    Originally posted by footyguy

They are burdened by the ridiculous, excessive waiting times to get through to anyone by phone though!

They are also burdened by the fact that the supplier doesn't take any notice of any tickets raised or relevant e-mails in regard to genuine complaints either.
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 1st Feb 18, 8:44 AM
    • 3,533 Posts
    • 1,594 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    • 1st Feb 18, 8:44 AM
    • 1st Feb 18, 8:44 AM
    I blame Ofgem. Startup energy suppliers should be able to demonstrate a working (and scalable) billing system; and a working (and scalable) customer service provision. Iresa had -and still has- neither after trying for 18 months.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 1st Feb 18, 9:06 AM
    • 5,741 Posts
    • 3,524 Thanks
    Hengus
    They are burdened by the ridiculous, excessive waiting times to get through to anyone by phone though!

They are also burdened by the fact that the supplier doesn't take any notice of any tickets raised or relevant e-mails in regard to genuine complaints either.
    Originally posted by Boxman
    So no improvement then from their problems in 2017?

Quote: Iresa in the news - April 2017:

Iresa shut its doors to new customers after Ofgem became aware that current customers were struggling to get in contact with the supplier when they had any queries or complaints. Ofgem informed Iresa they would need to resolve the problem and explain how it would be easy for customers to contact them in the future. Iresa has now reopened its doors to new customers.

Read more: https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/energy-companies/article/other-energy-companies-reviews/iresa - Which?

Unquote

Sadly, from my exchanges with Ofgem, it has no interest whatsoever in carrying out any due diligence checks on the business models of new suppliers. Ofgem confirmed to me in writing that the award of a Supply Licence should not be taken to mean that people running energy supply businesses were 'fit and proper persons'. Caveat Emptor.
    • quiet advisor
    • By quiet advisor 1st Feb 18, 9:11 AM
    • 117 Posts
    • 496 Thanks
    quiet advisor
    Certainly my experience, after switching supplier 14 times, is that the service provided by Iresa has been unacceptable to me, non-compliant with industry and regulatory standards and the worst to date of all suppliers.

There was possibly an argument for staying with them, despite the shortcomings, on the basis that they were the cheapest, but that is no longer the case for many customers when the present contracts expire.

Having worked in the industry, I certainly agree with the previous comment that customers are not well served (or protected) by the present disjoint between the Ombudsman, Consumers Association,Citizens Advice and Ofgem. This is an issue where Martin could really get some traction and support for change.

I'm switching away from Iresa at present as I believe its best for us.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 1st Feb 18, 9:41 AM
    • 5,741 Posts
    • 3,524 Thanks
    Hengus
    Citizens Advice comment for those affected:

Victoria MacGregor, director of energy at Citizens Advice, added: “To send customers a request for a one-off payment of up to hundreds of pounds on top of their monthly direct debit is unacceptably poor customer service.

“The standard practice for suppliers is to spread these payments out over a number of months. Instead, IRESA customers have received a bill out of the blue, right after Christmas when many people will struggle to pay.

“Sadly, this level of service won’t be new to IRESA customers. Citizens Advice referred the supplier to Ofgem for its poor customer service in November, following numerous complaints, including billing problems, long phone queues and inappropriately blocking customers from switching.

“Anyone who is concerned about this payment should contact IRESA and ask for a more affordable repayment schedule. If you are still unsure about your options, call the Citizens Advice Consumer Service on 03454 04 05 06.”

Source: Utility Week
    • poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 1st Feb 18, 10:06 AM
    • 1,122 Posts
    • 593 Thanks
    poppellerant
    We've also heard about customers waiting for long periods on the phone to get through to Iresa. When we phoned, at 10am on 30 January, we were told that we were number 51 in the queue.

Iresa told us: "We apologise to the customers who have been unable to get in contact. This is temporary and we are currently looking into the issue."
    It must have been temporary since I started my contract last March.
    • jonsilver
    • By jonsilver 9th Mar 18, 11:26 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jonsilver
    Insane Estimated Reading = attempted theft
    My Iresa account went from my gas reading of 7567 in Sep 2017 to their estimated reading of 13151.5 in Nov 2017, and rejected all subsequent meter readings from me, insisting I owed them £1500 extra, which they were going to take by Direct Debit until I stopped them by cancelling it. So now they're applying interest to the account. And they failed to deal with or even acknowledge my complaints. My reading today was 8824. Alas I'm in a contract until August. But by the sounds of it they play the trick of blocking transfers if you don't pay their interest charges.

Seriously, avoid this company if you know what's good for you.
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 9th Mar 18, 12:19 PM
    • 3,533 Posts
    • 1,594 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    Alas I'm in a contract until August.
    Originally posted by jonsilver
    Do Iresa have any tariffs with exit fees?
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
    • Merlin139
    • By Merlin139 9th Mar 18, 12:20 PM
    • 4,761 Posts
    • 19,335 Thanks
    Merlin139
    Did you not send them a reading in October or November? As Iresa would have asked you to do?

Did you raise a ticket with them when they 1st applied the Estimated reading? Did you try to ring them and speak to them about it?

What did they base the usage reading on?

No I am not sticking up for Iresa as I am in the process of moving from them and I think the service provided is not existent. I do find it strange that you have had this problem since October and have not brought it to the forums attention before now and then you register and latch on to a month old thread!
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 9th Mar 18, 12:22 PM
    • 3,533 Posts
    • 1,594 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    Did you not send them a reading in October or November? As Iresa would have asked you to do?
    Originally posted by Merlin139
    For information, my Iresa gas readings have been ignored/failed validation since November. Seems the system for handling gas readings is totally different to Elec.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 9th Mar 18, 12:51 PM
    • 5,741 Posts
    • 3,524 Thanks
    Hengus
    For information, my Iresa gas readings have been ignored/failed validation since November. Seems the system for handling gas readings is totally different to Elec.
    Originally posted by grumpycrab
    The system for gas validation changed last year following the roll-out of Project NEXUS. Prior to Project NEXUS, the Annual Quantity figure for your property was only updated once per year. Now the supplier has to validate the meter reading prior to entering it into the Nexus database. This is a copy of a post that I made last year drawing on information from Bulb:

Quote: This is down to a recent change in the way the gas industry is dealing with readings. Gas readings now go through an industry-wide validation process. Just to check they look okay.

This means it might take a little longer to show up in your account. But don't worry, we got your last gas reading on 16 June. Is this the one you were talking about?

This change happened after a big update for the gas industry last month, called Project Nexus. (Fancy name, right?)

Project Nexus has improved how the industry uses meter readings to estimate the gas consumption of your home and will harmonise how information is shared between parties within the gas industry, particularly suppliers and gas transporters. Unquote

Quote: The validation process takes around 2-5 days. It depends on the reading submitted. i.e. if the reading looks a bit off, it may take longer to validate. Unquote

I supply Zog with a gas meter reading on the last day of each month and I get a bill based on this actual reading about 7 days later which seems to concur with the above.
    • gardner1
    • By gardner1 9th Mar 18, 1:03 PM
    • 2,457 Posts
    • 3,699 Thanks
    gardner1
    My Iresa account went from my gas reading of 7567 in Sep 2017 to their estimated reading of 13151.5 in Nov 2017, and rejected all subsequent meter readings from me, insisting I owed them £1500 extra, which they were going to take by Direct Debit until I stopped them by cancelling it. So now they're applying interest to the account. And they failed to deal with or even acknowledge my complaints. My reading today was 8824. Alas I'm in a contract until August. But by the sounds of it they play the trick of blocking transfers if you don't pay their interest charges.

Seriously, avoid this company if you know what's good for you.
    Originally posted by jonsilver
    you are free to leave....they don't have any exit fees

I've been with them for 18 months for electric only.....enter my own readings end of month and NEVER had any problems with contacting them,increased DD or any of the other problems mentioned on here.
    Maybe its because its electric only but they get a thumbs up from me.......i think more people with issues will post than people with positive feedback
    • JohnB47
    • By JohnB47 9th Mar 18, 4:05 PM
    • 991 Posts
    • 307 Thanks
    JohnB47
    .......i think more people with issues will post than people with positive feedback
    Originally posted by gardner1
    I agree. I've been with them for just under a year and have now moved on to their current fixed tariff. I've never had any problems with them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

176Posts Today

1,850Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin