Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jimmy55
    • By jimmy55 31st Jan 18, 5:03 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 1Thanks
    jimmy55
    shortfall at end of interest only mortgage
    • 31st Jan 18, 5:03 PM
    shortfall at end of interest only mortgage 31st Jan 18 at 5:03 PM
    Hi, I am 62yo and my interest only mortgage of 43K came to an end in July last year. Due to financial problems 10 years ago I no longer had the endowment policies in place which I had intended to pay off the mortgage. I had assumed that there would be no problem carrying on interest only until I retired at 66 and was able to downsize. How wrong I was! Although my credit rating is now excellent, my age and lack of interest only mortgages means I am struggling to find a mortgage / loan to repay the lender. I am self employed with a fairly low income as my wife and I have 4 independently living parents between 80 and 95 plus 2 kids at home. The house is conservatively worth 350K so there is plenty of equity.
    I have made some payments reducing the sum to about 38K and have about 11K which I can use to part pay off the outstanding sum plus the possibility of a pension pot of about 20K but I am loath to cash in my pension pot if I can avoid.
    A lifetime mortgage would have been ideal but a further complication is that my wife is only 49 and renders us ineligible. One more complication is that there are 2 charges against the property from historic credit card debts of 17K
    I would welcome any suggestions, I just need something to bridge the 6 years to retirement when I could downsize, release equity, or have potentially benefitted from inheritance.! Cheers, Jim
Page 2
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 5th Feb 18, 10:31 PM
    • 58,490 Posts
    • 51,854 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    The problem with any repayment loan is lack of income to pass current 'stress' tests .... hence desire for interest only for 5 years.
    Originally posted by jimmy55
    Commercially not viable for the lender. Nor in keeping with current regulatory practice. For a lender to help you, you need to be seen to making a committment yourself. Without a two way trade. You'll garner little support.

Don't your children work?
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • jimmy55
    • By jimmy55 5th Feb 18, 10:35 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    jimmy55
    15 and 18yo apprentice.

Thanks all for your comments. In negotiation with lender to work it out on a repayment basis. Many thanks.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,287Posts Today

7,379Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin