Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 31st Jan 18, 2:03 PM
    • 740Posts
    • 5,197Thanks
    PipneyJane
    2018 £50 February Challenge
    • 31st Jan 18, 2:03 PM
    2018 £50 February Challenge 31st Jan 18 at 2:03 PM
    As requested, here is a separate thread for the £50 February Challenge.

The challenge is to spend a total of just £50 for your food and grocery purchases throughout the entire month of February. The £50 excludes things like takeaways Ė say for Valentineís Day - but includes items such as sanitary products, cleaning products and laundry detergent purchased during the month. Yes, Itís tight but the aim is to limit your spending to that amount, not to limit the value of the groceries that you consume (if you have a freezer full of fillet steak, you can eat it). Would you care to join me?

In my case, this £50 will be for all grocery purchases for two adults for the month. If you have a larger family, one online friend suggested adding £25 extra for her two small children or £25 each per additional adult. If itís bought from a supermarket, Costco, butcher, farm shop or market stall, then it will be included. We eat 3 meals a day plus snacks and the majority are home made. (We both take our lunch to work.) We have a friend staying this weekend and any spend for that will be included.

There are a couple of reasons why itís ď£50 FebruaryĒ but nothing to stop you doing this in, say, June. The first is the alliteration: I like the sound of it. The second is that, in 1991, I had a really tough February, where I found myself with only £25 plus my train fare for the month. I had two adults to feed, with a handful of items in the freezer and some rice, flour and pasta in the pantry. I remember going to Mr Tís with a carefully collated shopping list: 1lb cheddar, butter, 6 or 8 tinned tomatoes, rice, bran cereal, a couple of tins of tuna and pilchards, squash, a bag of minced beef... I found a local greengrocer, who was quite cheap, and lugged home 5lb of onions and 10lb of potatoes for £2.50. Londis own-brand coffee was horrible but it was 59p or 79p so I bought that to drink. I had no choice; Dumbo, (my now long-time ex), had wiped out my salary even before the month had started. I was lucky that work provided me with lunch every day, so I only had to do breakfasts and dinner.

This is the third year that Iíve done a £50 February Challenge. Each year, I try - and fail - to explain to my DH why I want to do it. Itís not as if we need to do it, but Iím trying to prove to myself that I can keep us both sane, well fed and comfortable on very little. So many people are literally one pay cheque from destitution and, in the years I lived with Dumbo, that would have been me. I lived with the consequences for years afterwards - it took a long time to recover. I guess I just want to prove to myself that I can do it if I had to. DH is a reluctant participant but he plays along.

I have two exclusions to my challenge:-

• We only use recycled toilet paper, so if L!dl suddenly stock Nouvelle or their own-brand 4-ply, then I will stock up. I will charge one packet to the challenge and the rest to the Bulk Fund (which grows at £40/month). Reason: the main supermarkets no longer stock Nouvelle and the L!dl 4-ply is lovely and soft if you can find it. (Nouvelle is softer than most supermarketís.)
    • We also have one known spend that Iíll be excluding from the challenge: we have a family party in Scotland at the end of the month, so Iíll be ordering haggis - 2 left feet and 2 right - from the butcher up there, together with some steak bridies and black pudding.

Some helpful hints and tips. I may add to this list later on:-

• Try to shop for the month in one go. It helps to make the money go further.
    • Use Ė and abuse Ė your freezer. As well as buying frozen veggies or meat, a lot of things sold fresh can be frozen until youíre ready to eat it/cook with it (cheese, bread, cake).
    • To make life easier for cooking from scratch, consider batch cooking and freezing the starters to recipes. Almost all my recipes start ďfry onion with garlic, add mushroomsĒ so I will multiply up the ingredients and cook 4 recipes-worth together, before freezing 3 batches and finishing cooking dinner with the fourth. It takes less than 5 minutes to prepare four recipesí-worth of onions.
    • Long Life Skimmed Milk tastes the same as fresh and costs 49p/litre. (Other long life milk has a funny taste from the cream.)
    • If you buy fresh milk, consider freezing half. In my fridge, it takes 2 days to defrost completely. (Allow for an inch an expansion in your container.)
    • L!dl sells the cheapest own-brand tampons that Iíve found. (79p a packet.) Note: in L!dl-speak, ďsuperĒ is regular sized; ďsuper plusĒ would be super anywhere else.
    • Toiletries: until it disappeared from the shelves, Mr Tís ďvalueĒ and Sainsbobís ďbasicsĒ baby shampoo was the cheapest shampoo available at 25p. (Itís a badly kept secret that Mr T and Sainsbob's use exactly the same supplier for their own brand toiletries. Ditto squash and many other products.) Next cheapest toiletries that Iíve found are L!dlís Cien range.
    • Except for YS markdowns, Lidl sell the cheapest mature cheddar cheese Iíve found.
    • The cheapest rice Iíve found was 45p for a 1kg in Mr Tís. That was this weekend.
    • Donít buy juice; buy Value squash, which is highly concentrated, and drink flavoured water.
    • Eggs. With the bird-flu alerts last summer, all the free-range hens in the UK were confined to barns. Now is the time to swallow your scruples and buy the basics 18 eggs for £1.25 tray from Sainsbobís.
    • Ignore use by and best before dates. If it doesnít smell funny and isnít mouldy, you should be able to eat it. (My baking powder is nearly 10 years past its best before date; it still works fine.)
    • There are hundreds of links to cheap recipes at the start of each monthís Grocery Challenge. (Februaryís can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5778103&utm_source=MSE_FS&utm_med ium=Email&utm_term=30-Jan-18)
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. #47 Official Brain Harvesting Body Counter
Page 1
    • ma-ri-ella
    • By ma-ri-ella 31st Jan 18, 9:37 PM
    • 937 Posts
    • 8,962 Thanks
    ma-ri-ella
    • 31st Jan 18, 9:37 PM
    • 31st Jan 18, 9:37 PM
    wishing you all the best!! I'm a month in to my own similar challenge. Thanks for the tips - ive just bought 1xskimmed,1xsemi skinned and 1 x full fat long life milk to do the taste test for challenge. My next thoughts was on could i freeze normal milk - as it is often reduced .

Shopping little and often is what i am currently trying so i can take advantage of checking out reduced section daily. I'm not doing bad in the food area but around half my total for year is actually other things like clothes,tolitries etc.

Use loyalty schemes and don't be loyal to anyone if that makes sense. Buy things where they are cheapest or is some shops are the same choose the one with the more card,nectar card ,clubcard etc - these schemes don't cotst,
    91.50£365 a year spend challenge - this has included food/clothes/beauty
    20,000 step a day challenge
    • PennyGrabber
    • By PennyGrabber 31st Jan 18, 10:20 PM
    • 1,267 Posts
    • 22,414 Thanks
    PennyGrabber
    • 31st Jan 18, 10:20 PM
    • 31st Jan 18, 10:20 PM
    Well done for doing this! I will follow and glean tips, sharing any I have.

First tip is: I always have a UHT milk in the pantry to stop my 'pop to the shop' trips.
    Tip 2: don't take the ch shopping, or if you do, say you have x amount and get them to use their phone calculator!

I have soooo much food in the house that I should be good for February other than fresh stuff. My buzzword for this year is mindful - I'm being mindful of all my spends.

Good luck!

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 31st Jan 18, 10:30 PM
    • 2,965 Posts
    • 30,468 Thanks
    XSpender
    • 31st Jan 18, 10:30 PM
    • 31st Jan 18, 10:30 PM
    I will be reading with interest as I am planning and prepping this month for a similar, but not as low as £50, challenge for next month.
    Action Plan Part 1 - Clear First 3 Balances
    Target Debt Lloyds (Me) Part 1 £666.22/£0
    Target Debt Virgin (Me) Part 1 £1176.49/£0
    Target Debt Virgin (Me) Part 2 £1038/£995
    Big black hole of debt - £53,515.15 @ 16.12.17 £52,811.64 @ 28.02.18, £50,638.77 @ 28.03.18, £49,778.78 @ 20.04.18, £46,093.32 @ 18.05.18
    • lynnejk
    • By lynnejk 31st Jan 18, 10:37 PM
    • 5,343 Posts
    • 55,181 Thanks
    lynnejk
    • 31st Jan 18, 10:37 PM
    • 31st Jan 18, 10:37 PM
    Hiya

I've subscribed and will be following with interest

Good luck with the challenge
    Lx
    £10day.2014=3213/2015=3421/2016=3238/2017=2702/2018=498..APR=12.03/300
    GrocC.2014=2162/2015=2083/2016=218/2017=1996/2018=450..APR=17.13/200
    Bulk buy.......APR=233.76
    GC.NSD..2015=216/2016=213/2017=229/2018=39..APR=03/15
    SPC130x61..2014=1178/2015=1287/2016=4616/2017=3843
    OS WL= -2/8 ......CC =00......Savings = £13,140
    • mummyjane
    • By mummyjane 31st Jan 18, 10:40 PM
    • 359 Posts
    • 3,240 Thanks
    mummyjane
    • 31st Jan 18, 10:40 PM
    • 31st Jan 18, 10:40 PM
    Good luck, I will be following too, I need all the tips I can get at the moment
    Groceries Challenge 2018
    Jan £202.95/£400, 8 NSDs
    • JingsMyBucket
    • By JingsMyBucket 1st Feb 18, 12:26 AM
    • 185 Posts
    • 2,069 Thanks
    JingsMyBucket
    • 1st Feb 18, 12:26 AM
    • 1st Feb 18, 12:26 AM
    Iím pulling up a chair and reading with interest.
    Last edited by JingsMyBucket; 18-02-2018 at 12:02 AM.
    MAY 18 GC: Ä112.63/Ä400.00 // 6/10 NSD
    APR 18 GC: Ä406.12/Ä400.00 // 16/10 NSD
    MAR 18 GC: Ä193.98/Ä400.00 // 17/10 NSD // £162.19/£150 UK stock up
    FEB 18 GC: Ä250.44/Ä450 and 15/10 NSD
    JAN 18 GC: Ä377.92/Ä550.00 // 8 NSD
    Dec 17 GC: Ä406.50/Ä350.00 // 11 NSD // £198.57/£200 UK stock up
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 1st Feb 18, 8:38 AM
    • 400 Posts
    • 5,502 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    • 1st Feb 18, 8:38 AM
    • 1st Feb 18, 8:38 AM
    . My next thoughts was on could i freeze normal milk - as it is often reduced .
    Originally posted by ma-ri-ella
    I freeze 'normal' whole or semi milk. I usually put it into smaller containers as it has a shorter life. Don't fill to the top, leave a space for it to expand when frozen.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 1st Feb 18, 1:22 PM
    • 740 Posts
    • 5,197 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    • 1st Feb 18, 1:22 PM
    • 1st Feb 18, 1:22 PM
    Thanks everyone for your support.

wishing you all the best!! I'm a month in to my own similar challenge. Thanks for the tips - ive just bought 1xskimmed,1xsemi skinned and 1 x full fat long life milk to do the taste test for challenge. My next thoughts was on could i freeze normal milk - as it is often reduced .
    Originally posted by ma-ri-ella

We freeze milk all the time, this morning I froze half the 2L bottle DH bought yesterday. You have to time the defrosting, though. 1 litre plastic milk bottle takes about 2 days to completely defrost in our fridge.

I freeze 'normal' whole or semi milk. I usually put it into smaller containers as it has a shorter life. Don't fill to the top, leave a space for it to expand when frozen.
    Originally posted by silver-oldie

Do you find the cream in homogenised whole/semi-skimmed milk separates out after defrosting it? It seems to do so, for me.

To give you an idea of what we're eating, breakfast most days will be what we had today. DH will have microwaved himself some porridge, while I had my standard mix of half cheapest-bran-cereal, half "strawberry crunch", with a tablespoon of sunflower seeds stirred in. (I have a fake-Tupperware container for cereal, so mix the two cereals together in it, in bulk, about once a month. Circa 35g in a bowl plus the seeds - for added protein - does me until lunchtime.)

We were out at the football last night, so our lunches today were random lunchboxes taken from the freezer. NB: since most recipes are designed to feed at least four people, I always dish up our lunch boxes while I'm plating up dinner. This ensures there is actually enough set aside for both of us to have a lunch, because He Of The Hollow Legs will inevitably go back for seconds. My lunch turned out to be Macaroni Chicken from my ancient copy of "How to Feed Your Family on £4 a Day"*. It was obviously made with either leftover chicken or turkey scavenged from the carcase of a roasted bird. (I found bones.)

Tonight, we've got tickets to Cirque de Soleil, so dinner will be exactly the same as we had last night: wraps made with a smear of humus, YS sliced meat and mixed salad from the largest, cheapest bag DH could find yesterday. (I'm not counting that spend in the Challenge since it wasn't in February.)

Dinner should be accompanied by the not-quite-properly-cooked apple cake DH baked on Tuesday. It was his first attempt and, since he was making a double quantity, he used our larger oven which is less reliable on the temperature front. Both cakes could have done with at least another 10 minutes, but they'll get eaten eventually. (We froze one.)

- Pip

* For some reason, I can't post a hyperlink today. Here's a link to a more recent edition of the book on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Feed-Your-Family-Day/dp/0007485654/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1517490974&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=feed+your+family+on+%C2%A35+day
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

• Viking_mfw
    • By Viking_mfw 1st Feb 18, 1:30 PM
    • 120 Posts
    • 524 Thanks
    Viking_mfw
    Great challenge! Good luck and thanks for the tips
    Save12kin2018 #100
    • X Duvessa X
    • By X Duvessa X 1st Feb 18, 3:16 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 285 Thanks
    X Duvessa X
    I did £57 last month increased my budget to £60 might try to be a bit stricter with myself
    Jan GC £57.26/£50
    Feb GC £17.06/£60
    Jan - Mar WLC 6/11
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 2nd Feb 18, 1:00 PM
    • 740 Posts
    • 5,197 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    In my far too short lunch break, I went back through my subscriptions and found a couple of threads re feeding a family on very little, which I thought might help.

Meal for Two for 50p. Suggestions? http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=326929
    Feed a Family of four for £20 a week challenge: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4148389
    £7 per week - menu ideas: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4084527

A tiny note on my "meal philosophy"...When planning meals, the focus has to be split equally between nutrition, filling you up and eating something tasty. As a child of the '70's, I always start with fibre - hence the bran cereal padding in my breakfast - and then focus on whether I'm getting my Five-A-Day. (Most of my recipes contain onions, carrots and mushrooms, so at least 2 portions of veg are covered in one meal.) After that, I think about protein - you don't need massive amounts (around 100g/day) but each meal should contain something protein rich, if only because it keeps you feeling full for longer. After that comes rice/bread/pasta/potatoes, whatever fills you up...

• purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 2nd Feb 18, 6:50 PM
    • 3,384 Posts
    • 20,709 Thanks
    purpleivy
    This is an interesting thread. My excuse for not doing this kind of challenge is that it would take me too much time to organise. I thought I had got on top of my food spends. But the freezer would tell you otherwise. I am easily swayed by the Flash Sales and getting tasty 'stuff' at 50% off. I really need to concentrate on using the things we have and shopping from home.

Of course one problem is that you take something out and what's left takes up more room when you have done your recipe. I"m going to be doing my online shop less often. More or less weekly up to now, but going to try and reduce first to 10 days then a fortnight. I will have to think about the things that I get there that I can't get at Aldi, which is the other place I go.

I have a monthly outline that I put together in order to remove 'decision fatigue' so ultimately I will be stashing according to the list. Some of the days have three lines, so more than 31 choices over a period of time. Hopefully it will mean that I am ultimately shopping to the plan and using the stuff planned from the freezer.

I have only been through the month once so far in this iteration. Had a previous one that didn't work for various reasons, so have tried again.
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
    Trying not to waste food!
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 4th Feb 18, 8:52 PM
    • 740 Posts
    • 5,197 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    Good evening All

(Partially cross posted to the February 2018 Grocery Challenge.)

Today was our first spend for February, £7.73 at MrT!!!8217;s which included tortilla wraps, £3 on yoghurts (2 x Yeo Valley plus a huge, 1kg tub of plain yoghurt for £1), some YS sliced ham, YS salad leaves and YS hummus. The only unnecessary spend was 99p for chunky chocolate chip cookies for our game this afternoon (which didn!!!8217;t get eaten because one of the players brought along cake for their birthday).

Anyway, the spend so far for February is £7.73/£50, leaving £42.27 remaining.

It!!!8217;s nearly 9pm and I haven!!!8217;t had dinner yet. I am shattered. This last week has been extremely busy. Tonight is the first time in a week I!!!8217;ve been alone. (DH has gone to his best mate!!!8217;s to watch the Super Bowl). Dinner tonight comes from the freezer - I!!!8217;ve just defrosted an ancient box of Sophie Dahl!!!8217;s Dhal and cooked up some rice. If I hadn!!!8217;t needed something that!!!8217;d generate enough for lunch tomorrow, dinner would be a cheese toasty.

Even with my current brain-addled state, there are a few things I!!!8217;ve forced myself to do before I finally collapse on the couch. This morning, I soaked 500g of dried kidney beans, which are now drained, bagged up and in the freezer, to be cooked in the pressure cooker later in the week. (I always freeze soaked beans before cooking - it helps to break down the cell walls and make cooking faster.). I am also going to portion up the lunches that I!!!8217;ve made and, once I!!!8217;ve eaten I will wash up, so that tomorrow morning I can spend my 10 minutes !!!8220;kitchen time!!!8221; preparing dinner for the slow cooker. (Dinner tomorrow will be Cuban Black Beans made with half a packet of cooking bacon, an onion, a couple of green peppers and 500g package of black turtle beans from W8trose. All items we already had in stock in the pantry/fridge/freezer.)

- Pip

• PennyGrabber
    • By PennyGrabber 4th Feb 18, 9:32 PM
    • 1,267 Posts
    • 22,414 Thanks
    PennyGrabber
    Ok Pip, walk me through this revelation... You soak the beans overnight, then split into portions and freeze. Then when needed, cook them? From frozen? Boil for a bit before slow cooking? Can you tell I'm a novice?!! I have lots of beans etc, just not confident enough /organised enough to use them. Would be great to have an idiot (me)-proof system!!

Tia
    PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 5th Feb 18, 6:25 AM
    • 740 Posts
    • 5,197 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    Ok Pip, walk me through this revelation... You soak the beans overnight, then split into portions and freeze. Then when needed, cook them? From frozen? Boil for a bit before slow cooking? Can you tell I'm a novice?!! I have lots of beans etc, just not confident enough /organised enough to use them. Would be great to have an idiot (me)-proof system!!

Tia
    PG x
    Originally posted by PennyGrabber
    Almost, PG, but I don!!!8217;t portion up the soaked beans for freezing. It takes as much effort to cook 3 portions of beans as it does to cook 1, and about the same period of time. Only when the beans are cooked will I portion them up - usually into 500g boxes - and refreeze the beans that I!!!8217;m not using !!!8220;tonight.

FWIW, when I cook the beans, I!!!8217;ll do it for 30 minutes in the pressure cooker at 15lb of pressure (aka !!!8220;high!!!8221; on my pressure cooker). That!!!8217;s possibly overkill time-wise, but it works for me. If you don!!!8217;t have a pressure cooker, then use your very largest pan - something that holds at least 6 litres of water. Bring the beans to the boil, boil them for at least 10 minutes and then simmer for the time recommended on the packet. The boiling destroys some toxins that are present in kidney beans.

HTH

- Pip

• tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 5th Feb 18, 1:01 PM
    • 4,255 Posts
    • 29,388 Thanks
    tessie bear
    great challenge I have read through and now feel more positive about my own don't spend feb...some great ideas thankyou for sharing hope it goes well
    on the brink...
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 5th Feb 18, 1:31 PM
    • 740 Posts
    • 5,197 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    Oh, I forgot to add that I learned the "freezing soaked, dried beans" trick from the Complete Tightwad Gazette. Even though only 20% of its content applies directly to me, that book is still my bible.

great challenge I have read through and now feel more positive about my own don't spend feb...some great ideas thankyou for sharing hope it goes well
    Originally posted by tessie bear

My pleasure. Thank you.

Today's meals are cereal for me for breakfast, leftover dhal and rice for lunch for me (DH has "freezer surprise"), and Cuban Black Beans for dinner, which I set up this morning to cook in the slow cooker. The recipe is on my blog. With rice costed in, the recipe works out at about £2 and feeds 8.

I actually hate our current slow cooker - it is big (10L) and cheap (£20-ish on Amazon) but the lid doesn't seal, so everything dries out. Because of that, I completely screwed up Saturday's dinner. We had a friend staying for the weekend and were out all Saturday afternoon/early evening. In the morning I dumped home made tomato sauce, a tin of tomatoes, a tub of cooked kidney beans, some red wine and 500g of stewing beef in the slow cooker, turned it to "auto" and hoped for the best. I even put a layer of foil under the lid, in the blind hope it would prevent too much steam leaving. Not a hope. I didn't put in half as much liquid as it needed whereas, in my old slow cooker, those quantities would have been fine, if not a little runny.

DH is at home this afternoon and keeping an eye on the Black Bean Stew. Otherwise, when I got home tonight, I wouldn't know whether I'd find soup or something desiccated. As it is, I have to cook it on high or the beans just don't cook. < sigh >

- Pip

• tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 5th Feb 18, 1:51 PM
    • 4,255 Posts
    • 29,388 Thanks
    tessie bear
    with regards to the slow cook could you cover the contents with a piece of grease proof paper then put on lid....might keep a bit more of the liquid where you want it to be xx
    on the brink...
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 5th Feb 18, 3:00 PM
    • 3,384 Posts
    • 20,709 Thanks
    purpleivy
    Surely the pressure cooker doesn't get to pressure if it doesn't seal?
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
    Trying not to waste food!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

113Posts Today

1,621Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin