Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nikkilou
    • By nikkilou 31st Jan 18, 1:50 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    nikkilou
    Santander PPI Claim Rejected
    • 31st Jan 18, 1:50 PM
    Santander PPI Claim Rejected 31st Jan 18 at 1:50 PM
    I have just had a Store Card PPI complaint rejected by Santander (for a Principles Store Card opened in 1997).

They sent 2 letters - 1st says the claim against the insurer was rejected on the grounds that 1) I was in f/t employment so could have claimed if I needed to and 2) They have a copy of the agreement I signed and say its clear there was PPI included.

They say the claim against GE Money (now Santander) is not upheld as it is 'time-barred'
    as more than 15 years passed between the PPI being taken out and the date I made the complaint.

Has anyone else had a similar response from Santander?

They haven't sent a copy of the agreement I signed so I can't see myself. Also, as part of reviewing this complaint, they contacted me and asked me details about any sick pay or redundancy pay I would have been entitled to. As a Civil Servant, I am entitled to 6 months full sick pay then 6 months half sick pay. There was also little chance of me being made redundant. I answered these questions but unfortunately have no proof.

Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience, or had a rejected claim subsequently upheld by by the ombudsman based on the same issues as me. Does anyone know if the sick pay point is worth pursuing with the ombudsman?

Thanks
Page 2
    • debbilou
    • By debbilou 6th Feb 18, 10:32 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    debbilou
    I have also had a mortgage ppi claim rejected from santander, we took it out in 1990 with Alliance and Leicester, they rejected it for the same reasons as the first post. I keep hearing all these people saying they have received hundreds or thousands of pounds, I thought I was being good having no loans, store cards or credit cards and either doing without or saving for something.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 6th Feb 18, 11:04 AM
    • 92,126 Posts
    • 59,281 Thanks
    dunstonh
    I have also had a mortgage ppi claim rejected from santander, we took it out in 1990 with Alliance and Leicester, they rejected it for the same reasons as the first post. I keep hearing all these people saying they have received hundreds or thousands of pounds, I thought I was being good having no loans, store cards or credit cards and either doing without or saving for something.
    Originally posted by debbilou
    Most MPPI complaints fail. Its not like loan or credit card PPI. It suffers fewer issues and you can still buy MPPI today. The product is not bad.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 6th Feb 18, 11:20 AM
    • 19,980 Posts
    • 10,973 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I keep hearing all these people saying they have received hundreds or thousands of pounds,I thought I was being good having no loans, store cards or credit cards and either doing without or saving for something.
    Originally posted by debbilou
    Do note that PPI redress is primarily a refund of money already paid (with interest admittedly) , so if you didn't have any PPI or loans etc then you haven't truly lost out.

As for your mortgage PPI, that's actually a useful insurance which is still retailed today.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,921Posts Today

7,009Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Mattallwright: I don?t think life is fair. I think we have to work to impose our idea of fairness on life. It doesn?t come pre-justiced?

• 3 tips to succeed if you want to start your own business, from me, an accidental entrepreneur... https://t.co/leamX59TY1

• My advice for budding entrepreneurs... why a good idea is a nightmare... https://t.co/eJaF2HPXxu

• Follow Martin