Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sunflowers123
    • By sunflowers123 31st Jan 18, 12:48 PM
    • 38Posts
    • 3Thanks
    sunflowers123
    London & Country (L & C)
    • 31st Jan 18, 12:48 PM
    London & Country (L & C) 31st Jan 18 at 12:48 PM
    Hi

Can anybody share their experiences with getting a mortgage from these guys please?

Many thanks.
Page 1
    • Mortgage_Adviser
    • By Mortgage_Adviser 31st Jan 18, 1:25 PM
    • 269 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    Mortgage_Adviser
    • 31st Jan 18, 1:25 PM
    • 31st Jan 18, 1:25 PM
    Although I may be seemed biaised as I am a broker myself now before I became a brokeer I have arranged a mortgage through them myself.

I was genenrally happy with an adviser and the advise given but not so much with an admin peson who was really bad in responding to my queries.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 31st Jan 18, 2:19 PM
    • 98,597 Posts
    • 67,015 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 31st Jan 18, 2:19 PM
    • 31st Jan 18, 2:19 PM

Can anybody share their experiences with getting a mortgage from these guys please?
    Only going by forum posts over the years. If your case is simple and you dont need hand holding then their factory line service works perfectly fine. If your case is complicated or need hand holding or the case hits snags, then you tend to see posts criticising how they deal with them. That goes for most factory line style methods of distribution.

They are doing nothing that your local brokers cannot do. Have you considered supporting your local economy?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Filo25
    • By Filo25 31st Jan 18, 3:19 PM
    • 1,918 Posts
    • 2,767 Thanks
    Filo25
    • 31st Jan 18, 3:19 PM
    • 31st Jan 18, 3:19 PM
    They were fine with me, I certainly couldn't find a better deal meeting my criteria myself, but it was a relatively simple FTB mortgage.

If that matches your needs then I would say its a good way of saving a mortgage arrangement fee with another broker, if you have a more complex case then personally I wouldn't risk it from what others have said
    Last edited by Filo25; 31-01-2018 at 3:32 PM.
    • amnblog
    • By amnblog 31st Jan 18, 3:52 PM
    • 11,177 Posts
    • 4,478 Thanks
    amnblog
    • 31st Jan 18, 3:52 PM
    • 31st Jan 18, 3:52 PM
    I am a broker myself now
    Originally posted by Mortgage_Adviser
    If this is the case, it should say so in your signature, as per the Forum rules.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • LandCmortgages
    • 12th Feb 18, 3:50 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 3:50 PM
    Hello Sunflowers123, we're glad to see that you're researching us for yourself on this forum. Is there anything in particular that you'd like to know? Thanks L&C
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of L&C Mortgages . MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • RitaLuck33
    • By RitaLuck33 13th Sep 18, 1:09 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RitaLuck33
    • 13th Sep 18, 1:09 PM
    London and Country
    • 13th Sep 18, 1:09 PM
    Made contact with this company in July after checking advice given in MoneySaving Expert's Remortgage Guide recommending London and Country.

Had a short conversation with an advisor who asked me to send some information. After sending the requested information, I heard nothing further. Sent another email chasing a response, Was informed that the advisor had been off sick. However he promised to forward my information onto the company's credit repair team. I was informed that it may be 7 days or so before I could expect a response. Heard nothing for over 3 weeks. Emailed again and asked whether L&C wanted my business and still heard nothing further.

Really disappointed as MoneySaving Expert has recommended this company highly. Needless to say, I am now looking for a more reliable broker.
    • David White
    • By David White 13th Sep 18, 2:09 PM
    • 876 Posts
    • 384 Thanks
    David White
    • 13th Sep 18, 2:09 PM
    • 13th Sep 18, 2:09 PM
    Stack 'em high sell 'em cheap.

They don't charge a fee so based on info given by my clients who have come from there they're not so helpful if you've got anything but a vanilla case.
    I am a Mortgage Broker
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it.
    This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser code of conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 13th Sep 18, 2:13 PM
    • 98,597 Posts
    • 67,015 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 13th Sep 18, 2:13 PM
    • 13th Sep 18, 2:13 PM
    Made contact with this company in July after checking advice given in MoneySaving Expert's Remortgage Guide recommending London and Country.
    MSE will only recommend companies that have the capacity to handle any recommendation that MSE makes. So, they will never recommend small local firms that offer better-personalised service.

So, you see MSE mentioning the factory line services. These are usually fine for simple cases. However, if yours is pushing limits or self-employed/directors etc then a local broker will likely be better.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • alk29
    • By alk29 13th Sep 18, 2:24 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 377 Thanks
    alk29
    We had no problems with them during the mortgage set up. Was quite simple and all went smoothly

The only thing to be careful of was that when our promotional rate came to an end they got back in touch to try and sell us alternative "deals"

The alternative options all came with a big list of new payment figures etc but there was nothing about what the rate on our original mortgage would be. When I asked L&C said they didn't know what my payments would change to.

I found that a bit odd as they seemed to have retained all the mortgage details except for that one key point. After checking it turned out that everything that was offered as a new deal was at a higher interest rate than staying with my initial provider.

So overall my experience of the initial mortgage was fine but would I use them again based on my total experience, No.
    • ritz55
    • By ritz55 14th Sep 18, 7:44 AM
    • 130 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    ritz55
    I contact L&C last week with regards to a mortgage and was very quickly told they couldn't help with my situation. After that spoke to a local broker and immediately he had options availble and DIP received from a lender. So does seem L&C seem to be going for the straight forward cases only.
    • Fran Sims
    • By Fran Sims 22nd Jan 19, 1:43 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Fran Sims
    L&C Mortgages
    I used them last year for my re mortgage and trying to get my ex husband off the mortgage. The advisor was very efficient although I have to agree with another reviewer who said that the admin side were not so good. I found them to be paper pushers who could not answer simple queries. On top of this i tried to use their solicitor (as it was free), but they were beyond useless. After 8 weeks they told me they were working for the lender and not me! I had to employ my own solicitor. I would agree that unless your mortgage is simple then definitely use your own solicitor and not the L&C one.
    • FTBlalala
    • By FTBlalala 22nd Jan 19, 4:55 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    FTBlalala
    I used L&C last year and they were great. Like others have said tho, this might be because we were an easy case. 5% deposit, 45k combined income, no debts, permanent jobs, no dependents.

I agree that they might not be the best option if you have any more complex items.
    Bought First Home - June 2018 Starting 218,500 July 2019 209,660.50 MFW 2019 #78 - Target 4000 - So far... 1780.41/4000
    Ultimate Goal MFW by 40! - 2033
    • Old Git
    • By Old Git 22nd Jan 19, 5:53 PM
    • 4,375 Posts
    • 3,806 Thanks
    Old Git
    I used then twice both times for a remortgage .
    They offered free legal that I should have avoided .
    Legal told me they where waiting for a redemption figure .There wasnt a redemption figure ,they contacted the wrong solicitors looking my deeds .
    "Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"
    • keithdc
    • By keithdc 22nd Jan 19, 6:19 PM
    • 379 Posts
    • 651 Thanks
    keithdc
    We tried to use them- very disappointing.

Relatively simple case with low LTV%.

The adviser was OK, but we had to provide the same information on multiple occasions! Then we had to enter the information on a website.

Adviser was very pushy with life insurance, despite our insistence that we didn't want or need it.

He came back with a 'recommendation', but when challenged seemed to not be aware of other offers available on the market (including those advertised on the L&C website)!

Then it got bad.... our application was filled on our behalf and submitted to the mortgage company. When they sent me a copy, I identified at least 13 errors, ranging from simple typos to getting fairly important things wrong like recording salary as weekly rather than monthly.

In the end, we retracted our application and applied to the mortgage company direct.

(A further complication was that L&C did not seem to want to get us a mortgage company AIP, which also held things up)!
    • VGeorge
    • By VGeorge 23rd Jan 19, 12:53 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    VGeorge
    I contacted them for information on getting a mortgage, they requested I send my info across to them via email which I did. I sent them all my credit report etc. Then.......nothing!

I haven't yet applied for a mortgage but judging on this brief encounter and the reviews on here I may just pay for a broker as my case is not vanilla!
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 23rd Jan 19, 1:03 PM
    • 7,076 Posts
    • 10,231 Thanks
    spadoosh
    Got my current mortgage through them. No issues at all. The only thing i could slightly complain about was the length of time it took probably about 2-3 weeks longer than i would expect but then i wasnt chasing anything up so allowed them to work at their own pace.
    Don't be angry!
    • blue_mango
    • By blue_mango 23rd Jan 19, 1:14 PM
    • 452 Posts
    • 1,447 Thanks
    blue_mango
    I uses them as FTB, they were recommended by the estate agent. My case was straight forward, first time buyer, good credit history, 11% deposit, no chain, low value purchase (120k).

Overall happy with my experience however they do push sales for insurances.

The only thing I regret is using their reccomended solicitor - pricey and not efficient.
    • Esmondo
    • By Esmondo 11th Feb 19, 5:44 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Esmondo
    I Wasn't Happy with them at all!
    I guess L&C would have been fine if my situation had been simple and easy for them - but there were a few complications that they just couldn't deal with. Just 3 days after they told me I would not be able to get a mortgage from anywhere in my circumstances, I have a mortgage offer in front of me, from an everyday high street lender, at a lower rate than L&C originally quoted. I felt like they just couldn't be bothered with going out of their way to help me, just because it wasn't a straightforward case. Adding insult to injury, they originally said it wasn't a problem, and then admitted they hadn't read my credit report properly!

Edited to add, the mortgage offer I now have wasn't through L&C but through Trinity Financial
    Last edited by Esmondo; 11-02-2019 at 5:48 PM. Reason: Accuracy
    • AliceBanned
    • By AliceBanned 11th Feb 19, 5:50 PM
    • 2,534 Posts
    • 1,193 Thanks
    AliceBanned
    'Adviser was very pushy with life insurance, despite our insistence that we didn't want or need it'.

This is exactly what I experienced - very pushy indeed with lots of follow up calls hardly taking 'no' for an answer. I didn't like that aspect but the mortgage part was fine and I got a pretty good deal. As a female buying alone I did think the life insurance pressure was rude and manipulative and it put me off L&C so not sure I'd go back, no I probably won't.
    DFW. PayDBX 2019#163
    Debt at LBM: 18,335
    Current debt: 9,094
    Mort overpaid 800 EF: 180

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,542Posts Today

5,978Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Delighted people are pushing @BorisJohnson on getting proper financial ed in schools. He says not enough resourc? https://t.co/c8Eb6BAwgU

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Follow Martin