Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • maman
    • By maman 31st Jan 18, 12:44 PM
    • 17,782Posts
    • 106,526Thanks
    maman
    0 WOW
    Anyone been to Venice and Milan recently?
    • 31st Jan 18, 12:44 PM
    0 WOW
    Anyone been to Venice and Milan recently? 31st Jan 18 at 12:44 PM
    We're planning a short trip to Venice and Milan: three days in each.

I've been to Venice for a day trip before but never Milan.

I know I can look at websites for things to do bit there's nothing like personal recommendation.

We enjoy restaurants and bars for a quiet drink and people watching and sightseeing including churches, galleries, museums.

Any must see/do suggestions?

P.S. Have read a lot lately about rip off restaurants in Venice. Would like to hear about where others have eaten.
Page 1
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 31st Jan 18, 1:40 PM
    • 12,148 Posts
    • 8,219 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 31st Jan 18, 1:40 PM
    • 31st Jan 18, 1:40 PM
    Milan - The Duomo di Milano is stunning and next to a very smart shopping centre (Vittorio) with beautiful ceiling. We walked the entire old city boundary and the scenery around the Castello Sforzesco was amazing. We eat and drank as we found and the food/service was wonderful, along with very reasonable prices.

We flew from London and stayed at the Hilton in a club room - with complimentary drinks during the day, alcohol and canap!s during the evening. We were there for 3 days and it was enough time IMO.
    • Rachie B
    • By Rachie B 3rd Feb 18, 8:43 PM
    • 8,719 Posts
    • 5,329 Thanks
    Rachie B
    • 3rd Feb 18, 8:43 PM
    • 3rd Feb 18, 8:43 PM
    We ate at quadri in Venice as it was our anniversary. Also had a famous peach Bellini at Charlie's bar

But street food is cheap and plentiful
    • loskie
    • By loskie 3rd Feb 18, 9:28 PM
    • 1,251 Posts
    • 751 Thanks
    loskie
    • 3rd Feb 18, 9:28 PM
    • 3rd Feb 18, 9:28 PM
    Its a few years since but got the train from Milan to Venice back in a day. Too far really but doable.
    But train is good if you fly in to one and out of the other.
    • maman
    • By maman 5th Feb 18, 5:26 PM
    • 17,782 Posts
    • 106,526 Thanks
    maman
    • 5th Feb 18, 5:26 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 5:26 PM
    Its a few years since but got the train from Milan to Venice back in a day. Too far really but doable.
    But train is good if you fly in to one and out of the other.
    Originally posted by loskie

That's exactly what we're doing.

This will be out third similar holiday. We find three nights is just about right to enjoy a city and if necessary we can always go back.

The others were:
    • Krakow and Warsaw
    • Prague and Budapest
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 5th Feb 18, 5:55 PM
    • 6,984 Posts
    • 49,161 Thanks
    kerri gt
    • 5th Feb 18, 5:55 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 5:55 PM
    We had afternoon tea at Florian's in St Marks square, not cheap nor MSE but it was a lovely experience. We were there for my mum's birthday and she insisted we do it saying 'well, I can't take it with me so I may as well spend it now while I'm still able to enjoy it'.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• maman
    • By maman 5th Feb 18, 6:27 PM
    • 17,782 Posts
    • 106,526 Thanks
    maman
    • 5th Feb 18, 6:27 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 6:27 PM
    We had afternoon tea at Florian's in St Marks square, not cheap nor MSE but it was a lovely experience. We were there for my mum's birthday and she insisted we do it saying 'well, I can't take it with me so I may as well spend it now while I'm still able to enjoy it'.
    Originally posted by kerri gt
    Thanks for that. This trip is a birthday treat for me too, so that's a great idea.
    • savethepandas
    • By savethepandas 6th Feb 18, 6:21 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 549 Thanks
    savethepandas
    • 6th Feb 18, 6:21 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 6:21 PM
    Venice:

Trip out on the lagoon to the islands of Torcello for the churches and Burano for the coloured houses.

The "Secret Itineraries Tour" of the Doge's Palace.

The view from the campanile of San Giorgio Maggiore, rather than the one in St. Mark's Square.

Milan:

I like wandering around the canals by Vicolo Lavandai Milano.

Last time we were there had two good meals at https://www.pizzeriamaruzzellamilano.it/ - the Porta Venezia branch, the queue outside was worth it.

Afternoon / evening out from Milan, try Lodi accessible by rail, we manage to combine a free concert in Chiesa dell'Incoronata with a lovely meal at Osteria Del Mercato (the food was excellent, decor a bit like a hospital canteen though)
    • savethepandas
    • By savethepandas 6th Feb 18, 6:24 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 549 Thanks
    savethepandas
    • 6th Feb 18, 6:24 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 6:24 PM
    Afterthought: Venice closes earlier in the evenings than most Italian cities
    • happyandcontented
    • By happyandcontented 6th Feb 18, 7:19 PM
    • 1,063 Posts
    • 2,089 Thanks
    happyandcontented
    These are good restaurants and at reasonable prices.
    Ogio Campo dei Gesuiti, Cannaregio, +39 3810 9326, open every day particularly good for lunch.

As is the cafe at palazzofranchetti.it, Campo Stefano I think it is closed at weekend.

Trattoria Dalla Marisa Fondamenta di San Giobbe 652B, Cannaregio, +39 041 720211, open every lunchtime, Thu-Sat evening by reservation

And this one http://www.altimon.it/ is really good and authentic.

And the Pizza/Pasta restaurant (can't remember the name) on the steps of the Academia Bridge has the best view in Venice and the food is fine too.

We ate at this one a couple of times and it is right on the Grand Canal, food, service and price were great considering the location.We celebrated our Anniversary here.
    http://www.trattoriapovoledo.com/Venice-restaurant-pizzeria-Povoledo-english/Typical-trattoria-in-Venice-historical-center-about-us.htm

You can eat well in Venice quite reasonably if you stay off the tourist trail and eat where locals and students go.

A couple to avoid: The Riveria on the canal side opposite Guidecca, and La Calcina, overhyped and underwhelming!!

Book in online advance for the sites to skip the Queues.
    Do the Secret Itinerary tour it is great.
    Take the Vaporetto that does a loop of the Grand Canal, the sites are fantastic.
    Buy Vaporetto tickets online in advance.

Try a "Rossini" a Strawberry Bellini.
    Harry's bar/Florians is one of those things that it is nice to do and a nice memory, but probably overpriced!
    The Lido makes a nice trip out too, to the beach or just a walk around.

We go to Venice at least once a year, sometimes more, so if you need anything specific just ask.
    • mrs lds
    • By mrs lds 7th Feb 18, 12:17 PM
    • 3,688 Posts
    • 20,924 Thanks
    mrs lds
    Venice is one of my fav cities. I used to go each year but had an alfresco rat experience which put me off.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,945Posts Today

8,550Users online

Martin's Twitter