Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 31st Jan 18, 11:35 AM
    • 362Posts
    • 978Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Boodly hell that was scary
    • 31st Jan 18, 11:35 AM
    Boodly hell that was scary 31st Jan 18 at 11:35 AM
    So I got up this morning and finished off my budget form online with SC and it recommended I went bankrupt I completely freaked out and decided to call them instead and went through it all on the phone,I must have filled something out wrong online because they recommended a DMP which is what I was hoping for they actually suggested three options but the other two werenít really viable for me,now I just have to wait for the paperwork to come through and get all the info they have requested together,Iím having a little break at the moment though because Iím still shaking from this mornings activities,I told them about my varying wages and they average out your last three wage slips,this is a bit of bad news for me as my last couple of wage slips had lots of unsociable hours on from Xmas and new year,the last one also included an overpayment which I have to pay back next month,so it looks like I have earned more then I did,Iím hoping if I send a letter explaining this they wonít hold it against me
    I also have to set up a new bank account because I bank with NW and I also have debts with them,so that is the next thing to do,I am going to wait a few days for my DD to come out then sort that out, what a mess I have got myself into,I feel sick
Page 1
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 31st Jan 18, 12:06 PM
    • 8,680 Posts
    • 45,734 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    • 31st Jan 18, 12:06 PM
    • 31st Jan 18, 12:06 PM
    Why don't you think about starting a diary to keep track of your progress Onebrokelady? You'll find it easier to deal with that lots of individual threads and you'll also find you get dialogue going with others in the same situation.

Just seen - you have!
    Last edited by EssexHebridean; 31-01-2018 at 12:13 PM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£944.19 (15/05/18)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 31st Jan 18, 12:20 PM
    • 362 Posts
    • 978 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    • 31st Jan 18, 12:20 PM
    • 31st Jan 18, 12:20 PM
    Yep,I set it up last night
  • National Debtline
    • 31st Jan 18, 1:30 PM
    • 31st Jan 18, 1:30 PM
    Hello there

So I got up this morning and finished off my budget form online with SC and it recommended I went bankrupt I completely freaked out and decided to call them instead and went through it all on the phone,I must have filled something out wrong online because they recommended a DMP which is what I was hoping for they actually suggested three options but the other two werenít really viable for me,now I just have to wait for the paperwork to come through and get all the info they have requested together,Iím having a little break at the moment though because Iím still shaking from this mornings activities,I told them about my varying wages and they average out your last three wage slips,this is a bit of bad news for me as my last couple of wage slips had lots of unsociable hours on from Xmas and new year,the last one also included an overpayment which I have to pay back next month,so it looks like I have earned more then I did,Iím hoping if I send a letter explaining this they wonít hold it against me
    I also have to set up a new bank account because I bank with NW and I also have debts with them,so that is the next thing to do,I am going to wait a few days for my DD to come out then sort that out, what a mess I have got myself into,I feel sick
    Originally posted by Onebrokelady

Remember that a DMP is an informal option. You're not going to be tied down to an unsustainable payment plan just because your most recent payslips show a higher than normal income. Stepchange will understand this perfectly well, and ultimately you are free to decide whether you want to embark on the DMP at all, and you are free to disembark at any point as well if your circumstances change.

All the best

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 1st Feb 18, 12:17 AM
    • 362 Posts
    • 978 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    • 1st Feb 18, 12:17 AM
    • 1st Feb 18, 12:17 AM
    Hello there

Remember that a DMP is an informal option. You're not going to be tied down to an unsustainable payment plan just because your most recent payslips show a higher than normal income. Stepchange will understand this perfectly well, and ultimately you are free to decide whether you want to embark on the DMP at all, and you are free to disembark at any point as well if your circumstances change.

All the best

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    Originally posted by National Debtline
    Thanks for your reply,I think the DMP is a good option for me Iím just worried they will think Iím earning more than I normally do,I will go ahead and see how it goes
    Just keep swimming
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £636.00 Total Now Owed = £16,994
    Emergency Fund = £400.00 Xmas savings = £200.00
    • Scilly
    • By Scilly 1st Feb 18, 9:45 AM
    • 41 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Scilly
    • 1st Feb 18, 9:45 AM
    • 1st Feb 18, 9:45 AM
    You know what, even though it scared the life out of you, you've done the hardest part! That's brilliant, good on you! Getting yourself out of debt is tough but you're on the right road! Take a moment to breathe, appreciate what you've just done then hit it head on!
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 5th Feb 18, 8:24 PM
    • 362 Posts
    • 978 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    • 5th Feb 18, 8:24 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 8:24 PM
    You know what, even though it scared the life out of you, you've done the hardest part! That's brilliant, good on you! Getting yourself out of debt is tough but you're on the right road! Take a moment to breathe, appreciate what you've just done then hit it head on!
    Originally posted by Scilly
    Hi sorry I didnít reply to your post these threads move so fast I can never find them again,thanks for the encouragement I have managed to loads more than I thought I would this week and have almost got everything in place to start paying off my debt,Iím starting to see it as a challenge now rather than something that is totally out of my control
    Just keep swimming
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £636.00 Total Now Owed = £16,994
    Emergency Fund = £400.00 Xmas savings = £200.00
    • January2015
    • By January2015 5th Feb 18, 8:39 PM
    • 2,066 Posts
    • 5,145 Thanks
    January2015
    • 5th Feb 18, 8:39 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 8:39 PM
    Hi sorry I didnít reply to your post these threads move so fast I can never find them again,
    Originally posted by Onebrokelady
    If you want to follow a particular thread then go to the top of the page with the thread on it, look for the link which says "Thread Tools", click it and then click on "Subscribe to this thread".

You can choose whether you want to be notified by email or not of new posts. Personally I wouldn't choose email notification because if a thread is popular your inbox would be filled with email notifications.

To find threads you have subscribed to click on "User CP" and it will bring up the threads you have subscribed to, with the most recent showing first
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k I'm driving it down
    £1k emergency fund (member #84) £1k/£1k
    [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2]
    • savingholmes
    • By savingholmes 6th Feb 18, 7:38 AM
    • 8,955 Posts
    • 17,004 Thanks
    savingholmes
    • 6th Feb 18, 7:38 AM
    • 6th Feb 18, 7:38 AM
    Great news that you are eligible for a DMP rather than the bankruptcy option. There are a lot of people on DMPs on here - and although it is scary at first - most diaries seem to show they settle into the new arrangement well, it's a weight off their minds and they start to make serious progress with debt reduction as after some initial argy bargy most if not all agree to stop interest charges. Good luck on your journey
    Today is a new day £93/310 £10 a day Mar Challenge DFD August 2021
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,189Posts Today

7,920Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin