Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • FuriousD1989
    • By FuriousD1989 31st Jan 18, 6:39 AM
    • 24Posts
    • 2Thanks
    FuriousD1989
    Newbie questions
    • 31st Jan 18, 6:39 AM
    Newbie questions 31st Jan 18 at 6:39 AM
    All,

Couple questions please. Yes I have read the newbie thread. Yes I have searched for cases and like for like topics for a long time and cannot find anything.

1) what happens if the parking company do not respond to your appeal within the 35 day limit?

2) is there any guidance on what to do if you get a fine through when the signs have been changed over? Certain Tesco had an unrestricted limit on days where there were no events, this has been the case for years. Suddenly with no warning the signs have switched over. I am fully aware of the complaining to manager route which I will try..i am not very good at these things and do not comprehend and understand things very well so apologies. I may need some hand holding so to speak and lots of guidance.

Thnx
Page 5
    • waamo
    • By waamo 12th Mar 18, 6:35 PM
    • 3,411 Posts
    • 4,550 Thanks
    waamo
    Britannia do not do court. They huff and puff but don't blow your house down. All they do is send paperwork that isn't soft, strong or very, very long.
    This space for hire.
    • doubled1989
    • By doubled1989 12th Mar 18, 6:43 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    doubled1989
    Have you been living under a rock? Court is always an option - it's non payment of an alleged contract. That is clear from the Newbies thread and Beavis, a Court case which i'm sure the parking company will have mentioned (they generally like to). There's no magic bullet if you're not in it for the long game.

Fair enough. it's your cash

Well, listened to someone, anyway. You're now in the invidious position of paying more for the ticket and yet giving up the fight, so the option of not paying at all will be lost. You makes your choice...

Nobody said that. It's litigation - there's always risk.

Time has a value, I see that. I'm not sure it's a losing battle, but their approach/business model does rely on the time- poor/confused/intimidated (whichever applies to the relevant ticket recipient) just paying the cash - and you're about to sanction that business model by paying into it.
    Originally posted by Johnersh
    Thank you for your reply. I am not intimitdated or time poor (maybe slightly confused but get it), just cannot be bothered and own up to my mistakes, Thanks for you help and good luck!
    • doubled1989
    • By doubled1989 12th Mar 18, 6:49 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    doubled1989
    Britannia do not do court. They huff and puff but don't blow your house down. All they do is send paperwork that isn't soft, strong or very, very long.
    Originally posted by waamo
    I have made my decision. I cannot be bothered dealing with it and the inevitable stress. They might decide to start doing court and knowing my luck will be me. 100 Quid or 6 years of rubbish and countless letters and stress from my wife? I know what i would choose
    • waamo
    • By waamo 12th Mar 18, 7:02 PM
    • 3,411 Posts
    • 4,550 Thanks
    waamo
    I have made my decision. I cannot be bothered dealing with it and the inevitable stress. They might decide to start doing court and knowing my luck will be me. 100 Quid or 6 years of rubbish and countless letters and stress from my wife? I know what i would choose
    Originally posted by doubled1989
    I think you are making a mistake but I respect your decision. Personally knowing Britannia I wouldn't pay because as I said they don't do court. If they ever started they would also likely go for very low hanging fruit such as multiple "offenders" who ignore paperwork. They are easy pickings in court.

You, on the other hand, would be seen as a difficult target, somebody who has engaged and put up a fight. Judges like people to engage with appealing and look more favourably on people who have engaged. Britannia know that and now so do you.

The chances of them risking a case on you is minimal. What's more is you can keep an eye out and see if they do start chasing easy targets. If they do you can pay then. They can't put the fees up any more. Again they know that and so do you.

Why not check once a quarter for the next 12 months or so to see if they become active? Four times that's all. It takes me less than 20 seconds. That's less than two minutes work a year. 100 for 2 minutes. That's a bargain.
    This space for hire.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 12th Mar 18, 7:14 PM
    • 18,019 Posts
    • 28,539 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    You can only take a horse to water ......

All the voluntary input seems to have counted for nought. Sad.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • doubled1989
    • By doubled1989 12th Mar 18, 7:33 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    doubled1989
    Oh.come.on.it's BRITANNIA!!! NO-ONE PAYS THEM OR GETS SUED BY THEM.

Only a complete mug would pay them just because you lost at POPLA. Why on earth did your wife want to pay them too, what is the matter with people? This is why these firms exist.

SO WHAT. Nothing has changed, it's only Britannia, get a grip. I've ignored them myself.

What do you think we all did before POPLA existed?

You appear to be surprised that any firm can sue you within six years...it's not something specific to parking firms you know. Your utility supplier, mail order, any serviced provider, your neighbour, indeed even I could sue you over an alleged 'debt' and that window ALWAYS remains open for six years because that's the standard limitation period in this Country.

No-one is telling you that Britannia are suddenly going to sue you.

They are NOT. LOL, it's only Britannia!

Did you even bother to search POPLA lost and see all the other people ignoring stupid PPCs?
    Originally posted by Coupon-mad
    Yes I did. Sorry I know you have tried but I am done with all this. I will feel alot better once it is paid. I cannot be bothered with the hassle and the time etc and have this hanging over me and get all these letters. I cannot be bothered and I do not want it to go on my file or credit check (which they do). I am not going to court and risk losing everything (my house/wife/great job) because some people told me to ignore letters for something that was my fault. Sorry but thank you for trying, I have appealed twice and lost already
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 12th Mar 18, 7:36 PM
    • 7,713 Posts
    • 7,457 Thanks
    KeithP
    I do not want it to go on my file or credit check (which they do).
    No they don't. They cannot do that.

risk losing everything
    Ha Ha Ha.

That's an even bigger joke than the private parking companies.

Last edited by KeithP; 12-03-2018 at 7:38 PM.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 12th Mar 18, 7:37 PM
    • 3,411 Posts
    • 4,550 Thanks
    waamo
    They do not have access to your credit file. That is pure scaremongering.
    This space for hire.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 12th Mar 18, 7:38 PM
    • 18,019 Posts
    • 28,539 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    "risk losing everything"??

Ha Ha Ha.

That's an even bigger joke than the private parking companies.

Originally posted by KeithP
    If the sum total of all your worldly possessions amount to 200, then it's no joke!
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 12th Mar 18, 7:45 PM
    • 7,713 Posts
    • 7,457 Thanks
    KeithP
    If the sum total of all your worldly possessions amount to 200, then it's no joke!
    Originally posted by Umkomaas
    But this guy has already told us:
    End of the day 100 quid really is nothing...
    Last edited by KeithP; 12-03-2018 at 8:01 PM.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 12th Mar 18, 7:53 PM
    • 18,019 Posts
    • 28,539 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Great to be rich so as to be able to fund these companies so they can continue to pressurise and harass those who are not so well placed as to be able to throw away 100.

Recently widowed ladies who have no one left in their lives to turn to, cancer patients targeted after their chemo sessions that have over-run, OAPs for whom 100 is 2 weeks food budget, who are going to have to subsist on anything that's left in the fridge/cupboard.

Not comfortable thoughts on which to sleep easy.

• Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 12th Mar 18, 8:02 PM
    • 58,533 Posts
    • 72,030 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    I cannot be bothered and I do not want it to go on my file or credit check (which they do)
    No, they don't. This can't affect your credit rating without the small matter of you losing in court.

This thread has been a complete waste of time if you are keen to fund the next 3 or 4 PCNs against more vulnerable victims. I would not be able to sleep for doing that...
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• doubled1989
    • By doubled1989 12th Mar 18, 8:43 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    doubled1989
    Great to be rich so as to be able to fund these companies so they can continue to pressurise and harass those who are not so well placed as to be able to throw away 100.

Recently widowed ladies who have no one left in their lives to turn to, cancer patients targeted after their chemo sessions that have over-run, OAPs for whom 100 is 2 weeks food budget, who are going to have to subsist on anything that's left in the fridge/cupboard.

Okay that is a bit over the top and melodramatic....
    • doubled1989
    • By doubled1989 12th Mar 18, 8:45 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    doubled1989

No, they don't. This can't affect your credit rating without the small matter of you losing in court.

This thread has been a complete waste of time if you are keen to fund the next 3 or 4 PCNs against more vulnerable victims. I would not be able to sleep for doing that...
    I said thank you for your help already. Stop being melodramatic. You obviously care so much about this sort of stuff, I do not. I have a good job and a wife, nice house and kids and cannot be bothered to deal with the extra stress that this rubbish comes with. I will sleep fine tonight knowing I got this off my back.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 12th Mar 18, 8:46 PM
    • 58,533 Posts
    • 72,030 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    People who pay parking charges, fund the next ones, fund & sponsor the scam. TRUE.

That is a huge shame, awful to join them.

I have a good job and a wife, nice house and kids
    Me too - except I am female and have a husband. I help people in my spare time, to stop people falling for scams like this. You are a very very rare person by saying you want to pay a firm who are spineless.

On the POPLA Decisions thread I showed you a link to a person coping with exactly the same as you, and they are recovering from a stroke yet they can manage to sit tight & not pay a scam, not fund it.
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 12-03-2018 at 8:48 PM.
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!

• waamo
    • By waamo 12th Mar 18, 8:46 PM
    • 3,411 Posts
    • 4,550 Thanks
    waamo
    Okay that is a bit over the top and melodramatic....
    So is saying your credit rating can be affected (which is a complete falsehood) and you can lose your home, wife, family and job to be fair.
    This space for hire.
    • doubled1989
    • By doubled1989 12th Mar 18, 8:49 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    doubled1989
    I think you are making a mistake but I respect your decision. Personally knowing Britannia I wouldn't pay because as I said they don't do court. If they ever started they would also likely go for very low hanging fruit such as multiple "offenders" who ignore paperwork. They are easy pickings in court.

You, on the other hand, would be seen as a difficult target, somebody who has engaged and put up a fight. Judges like people to engage with appealing and look more favourably on people who have engaged. Britannia know that and now so do you.

The chances of them risking a case on you is minimal. What's more is you can keep an eye out and see if they do start chasing easy targets. If they do you can pay then. They can't put the fees up any more. Again they know that and so do you.

Why not check once a quarter for the next 12 months or so to see if they become active? Four times that's all. It takes me less than 20 seconds. That's less than two minutes work a year. 100 for 2 minutes. That's a bargain.
    Originally posted by waamo
    Thank you. Sensible post that is and not rude . I will check, it will be interesting, I will also talk to the nice lady from britannia who goes around the carpark near me (unrelated to this) and have an honest conversation with her. I will keep checking the site and see what happens, I am sure this stuff will cease to exist soon but I do not like dealing with extra and unnecessary hassle which this is and happy to get this off my back and out the way, at the end of the day they are just people doing their job like parking wardens or train ticket inspectors and it just so happens that they will always be hated for it
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 12th Mar 18, 8:51 PM
    • 58,533 Posts
    • 72,030 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    nice lady from britannia
    I sometimes chat with the ladies at my local Waitys, from Britannia. Hilariously deluded bunch.

These are not parking wardens.

This is not a real fine, they are not just doing a job - except they've done a job on you...

• doubled1989
    • By doubled1989 12th Mar 18, 8:52 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    doubled1989
    People who pay parking charges, fund the next ones, fund & sponsor the scam. TRUE.

That is a huge shame, awful to join them.

Me too - except I am female and have a husband. I help people in my spare time, to stop people falling for scams like this. You are a very very rare person by saying you want to pay a firm who are spineless.

On the POPLA Decisions thread I showed you a link to a person coping with exactly the same as you, and they are recovering from a stroke yet they can manage to sit tight & not pay a scam, not fund it.
    I will not argue but to be fair I think it is pretty unfair to keep her going on in this game when she has said numerous times she is out of her depth, had a stroke, stressed etc and it clearly would be easier to let her pay it and be done with it. And to be fair all that will happen now is a deluge of letters and more stress. If I could get stressed then no wonder what somebody else must be feeling. Lessons learned and all that which I have done. But each to their own.

You help 99% of people very well but I am stubborn, yet I also know when I cannot be bothered to deal with something and it is not worth my time to keep doing this. I apologise but you tried and I thank you for it
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 12th Mar 18, 8:53 PM
    • 58,533 Posts
    • 72,030 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    You could just ignore them completely though, it's what we did before POPLA existed.

No action needed, no stress, no replies, just laugh at the threatograms, scam over.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

162Posts Today

1,702Users online

Martin's Twitter