Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 30th Jan 18, 11:15 PM
    • 1,661Posts
    • 10,288Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    My journey to a debt free life
    • 30th Jan 18, 11:15 PM
    My journey to a debt free life 30th Jan 18 at 11:15 PM
    Well Iíve been reading everyoneís diaryís and thought itís such a good idea I would start one myself,Iím hoping to use it as a way to record my journey to freedom from debt and also to have somewhere to come and just offload stuff
    My financial meltdown happened two weeks ago when I realised I just canít afford to pay my debts off properly,Iím sinking under the strain and jut adding more and more onto the total because itís just not sustainable. I came here and was given some brilliant advice then I went away and procrastinated for a week while pooping myself some more about what I am about to do I finally got my !!!! in gear this week and started the ball rollin by registering on the SC site and partially filling out the budget form,I then came unstuck because some of the info wasnít to hand,Iíve now sorted that and can proceed with finishing the budget form which I am doing tomorrow,by the end of this week I want to have contacted SC and set the ball rolling to set up a DMP.
    I then had problems with my online account for one of my creditors but I sorted that out this morning whilst also finding out exactly what I owe them,it was actually not as much as I thought but still too much so swings and roundabouts 😊 actually sorting that out today took me ten minutes but itís taken me days to do it,I just get overwhelmed and put stuff off then before I know it another week has gone by and nothing has changed. Still Iíve done what I set out to do today and tomorrow is budget form day then I will see where I go from there
    In other news I changed my phone provider on Saturday so now have a sim only deal for £9 a month instead of £20.02 plus I cancelled the insurance at £6 a month,Iíve also paid for the phone now too so there is a small saving,two weeks ago my phone contract was costing me £35 so Iím quite pleased with this new deal.
    Ok I think thatís enough waffling for one day and I need to try and get some sleep,letís see what tomorrow brings
Page 78
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 13th Apr 19, 2:07 PM
    • 1,661 Posts
    • 10,288 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Can't believe it's Saturday again
    I worked yesterday and it was quite a pleasant day,no stress or drama for a change, the day was only spoiled by my shoulder throbbing all day and having pins and needles in my arm and hand
    I was going to do some more to the bathroom today but my shoulder is still throbbing away,it wasn't too bad when I got up but the dog wrenched my arm while I was out walking her so now it's back to square one again,I've taken some brufen and that seems to be working at the moment

I'm being a home bird today so I'm tidying the house and doing laundry,the laundry seems never ending you wouldnt think there was only two of us living in this house,it's really cold here today but lovely and windy so the perfect day to get the washing on the line

The chickens are out pootling in the garden so I can go and poo pick their house in a bit,the dogs been for a walk and the cat is fed and asleep on DDs bed,everyone is happy

Myself and both DDs are going out for meal tonight,it's for DDs birthday because even though her birthday was in March and we went out for lunch her sister was unable to come so we decided to go out later when we were all free,tonight is the first night that we are all free and able to be in the same place at the same time, I am quite tired though so not really looking forward to it and I'm also being tight as I don't want to spend the money

This month is a bit spendy actually because we are also meant to be going to the zoo on Tuesday with DGS,DD who lives with me wants to take him out so that's where we are going,I'm hoping the weather is going to warm up a little bit by then

I was on FB earlier and noticed a post my sister had shared,it seems we are getting our very own zero waste food shop,it's in the same area where my sister used to have a shop,the street is full of indie shops and it's lovely to have a look round,my favourite craft shop is there as well,I'm hoping I will be able to use the new shop but it will probably be beyond my price range sadly
    Just keep swimming
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £1,835 Total Now Owed = £15,795
    Emergency Fund = £1,330 Xmas savings = £350
    • Sunshine girl2
    • By Sunshine girl2 13th Apr 19, 6:35 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 280 Thanks
    Sunshine girl2
    I hope your shoulder is feeling slightly better . Enjoy your evening out with your DDs , I am sure you will enjoy it once you are there.

It's been sunny and windy here, but fresh.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 13th Apr 19, 10:28 PM
    • 2,689 Posts
    • 16,838 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I hope the shoulder eases - but if you have to go to the GP it might be helpful in the longer term.

All I can suggest is having a bath with Epsom salts in to try to relax the muscles, but I'm not expecting that could be a total cure. I did find it helped after exercise but obviously that's very different from injury.

All this talk of beaches is lovely - I'm hoping we can get a day away to see the sea at some point. DH was brought up on the coast and he misses it.
    MFW #30 Overpaid by £4,100.58/£3000 in 2018 Overpaid by £555.74/2,880.00 in 2019
    Decluttered in 2019: 543/2019 as of 17/4/19
    • Nicnak
    • By Nicnak 14th Apr 19, 6:00 AM
    • 2,037 Posts
    • 11,964 Thanks
    Nicnak
    Sounds like a lovely week is planned, even if it is a bit spendy. It's not like it's every week for you.

Hope your shoulder is feeling better x
    September 6th 2017 - Updated February 2019
    Credit Card £0 now: £0 Dad £1500 = £200 Consolidation £15,000 = £9,760 Total = £25,330 £9,960 61% gone EMF #252 = £100/£1000
    Sealed pot challenge #024
    Pay off all your debts by Christmas #071
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 14th Apr 19, 10:05 PM
    • 1,661 Posts
    • 10,288 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    I hope your shoulder is feeling slightly better . Enjoy your evening out with your DDs , I am sure you will enjoy it once you are there.

It's been sunny and windy here, but fresh.
    Originally posted by Sunshine girl2
    Sadly my shoulder is still not right, but on th upside I did indeed enjoy our night out once we got there,the food was lovely and we had some interesting discussions plus lots of laughter
    Just keep swimming
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £1,835 Total Now Owed = £15,795
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 14th Apr 19, 10:06 PM
    • 1,661 Posts
    • 10,288 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    I hope the shoulder eases - but if you have to go to the GP it might be helpful in the longer term.

All I can suggest is having a bath with Epsom salts in to try to relax the muscles, but I'm not expecting that could be a total cure. I did find it helped after exercise but obviously that's very different from injury.

All this talk of beaches is lovely - I'm hoping we can get a day away to see the sea at some point. DH was brought up on the coast and he misses it.
    Originally posted by Cherryfudge
    I thinking of phin8ng my GP tomorrow because my shoulder is still painful,the trouble is it takes so long to get an appointment it will probably be better by the time I see her
    Just keep swimming
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 14th Apr 19, 10:08 PM
    • 1,661 Posts
    • 10,288 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Sounds like a lovely week is planned, even if it is a bit spendy. It's not like it's every week for you.

Hope your shoulder is feeling better x
    Originally posted by Nicnak
    I've made my peace with spending some money,like you say it's not a weekly occurance and it is nice to get out and do something a bit different,I just hope the weather warms up a bit because it's like winter here today
    Just keep swimming
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 14th Apr 19, 10:14 PM
    • 2,689 Posts
    • 16,838 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I thinking of phin8ng my GP tomorrow because my shoulder is still painful,the trouble is it takes so long to get an appointment it will probably be better by the time I see her
    Originally posted by Onebrokelady
    Always the way.
    Maybe just make it anyway, you can always cancel.
    Have a good week.
    MFW #30 Overpaid by £4,100.58/£3000 in 2018 Overpaid by £555.74/2,880.00 in 2019
    Decluttered in 2019: 543/2019 as of 17/4/19
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 14th Apr 19, 10:31 PM
    • 1,661 Posts
    • 10,288 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    That's Sunday done and dusted
    I now have two days off so I'm happy
    Our night out last night was really nice in the end,I thought I would be tired but I seemed to gain some energy from somewhere, the food we had was lovely and I did treat myself to a cheeky Jack Daniels and coke,I don't drink much anymore because since I've started going through the menopause it doesn't really agree with me,I can get away with one or two if I'm eating but if I'm not careful I end up with a red burning and very itchy face,it's just easier to avoid it really,it's just every so often I fancy a whisky or cider

I slept like a log last night due to falling into a carbohydrate induced coma I did not want to wake up this morning though

Work was pleasant today,it was quiet and relaxed again so that was a bonus,the only downside was my flaming shoulder which was throbbing madly by the time I got there,I took some Brufen and paracetamol and rubbed some deep heat on it and that combination lasted for 4 hours, then I had to do that again but haven't taken anymore since,it's not hurting at the moment but I do have pins and needles in all my fingers on that side,I'm going to take some Brufen in a bit when I go to bed and hopefully that will keep it from flaring up in the night and waking me up

I walked home from work tonight due to the buses being rubbish on a Sunday,I quite enjoy it actually,it gives me time to wind down from work and I get to listen to a podcast on the way,tonight I listened to The Slow Home podcast which is currently my favourite,she interviewed someone called Mike Campbell who along with his wife sold everything they own and went on a year long adventure in the USA,they managed to afford to do this by house sitting their way round the country,I just love the way people are using their imagination to make these sorts of things possible

Anyway it got me thinking about alternative ways to live,so instead of renting your own home you could literally go from one house sitting job to another,obviously you would need a base in case there was no jobs available but this seems like a low cost way of living to me,I'm seriously considering this as a partial retirement plan for in the future, I would love to house and pet sit my way round the country

I went on two house sitting sites and looked for jobs just in my area and there were loads,I could have put myself forward for at least 6 months worth of free accommodation in return for looking after the house and a couple of pets, it's certainly something to think about

Tomorrow I think I'm going to have to go shopping because I've run out of bread and yogurt,I also want to make a teabread but I don't have enough flour,I also plan to do a bit to the bathroom if my shoulder let's me,we will see in the morning
    In the meantime I am off to make the tea to soak my fruit for the teabread
    Last edited by Onebrokelady; 14-04-2019 at 10:34 PM.
    Just keep swimming
    • Nicnak
    • By Nicnak 15th Apr 19, 5:48 AM
    • 2,037 Posts
    • 11,964 Thanks
    Nicnak
    I would never have thought of house sitting, but it's an amazing idea. It is one way to travel but off the beaten track and get to know the communities rather than just the tourist sites (obviously do them as well).

Hopefully having two days off will help your shoulder relax a little and not throb so much.

Enjoy your days off. x
    Credit Card £0 now: £0 Dad £1500 = £200 Consolidation £15,000 = £9,760 Total = £25,330 £9,960 61% gone EMF #252 = £100/£1000
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 16th Apr 19, 8:46 PM
    • 1,661 Posts
    • 10,288 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Two days off gone in the blink of an eye😟

Yesterday I was going to do some more bits to the bathroom but I was soooooo tired I just couldn't muster up the energy,the weather here was awful,really cold and windy,we took the dog for a walk then we came home and hibernated all day,I made my tea loaf and did the ironing but apart from that my main activity for the day was reading

Today was my day to have DGS and we were supposed to be going to the zoo,we woke up to rain so our zoo trip was cancelled until another day,I went to visit my friend for coffee instead.

I haven't really done much today,on the way home from my friends I walked into town and bought some ingredients to make up a leek croustade for tea,we had leeks that needed using up, it was yummy and there is enough for tomorrow too

I'm just waiting for some washing to finish then I can go to bed,I am shattered this evening,the good news is my shoulder hasn't hurt all day so hopefully it's ok again now, it ached a bit yesterday while I was doing the ironing but not as badly as it has been,I haven't really used it today so hopefully it's on the mend now

I'm just waiting for some washing to finish then I'm off to bed,I'm working tomorrow but only a late so I don't have to get up early,DGS is here again though so I will probably get woken up anyway, I just have to get through this week and I am on holiday for a week,I can't wait
    Just keep swimming
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 16th Apr 19, 8:53 PM
    • 8,903 Posts
    • 69,277 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    It was a very cold weekend here too. I'm glad your shoulder seems a bit better. I hope you feel less tired tomorrow.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £4,005. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £1,505.
    Goal - buy £50 worth of Premium Bonds per month = £0
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 18th Apr 19, 5:00 PM
    • 1,661 Posts
    • 10,288 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    All change with the weather today,it's been a lovely sunny warm day,a real boost to my energy,I did get up late though so that probably helped too,I'm going to try going back to getting up at a set time again on my days off because I wasted the morning in bed today and now I'm playing catch up with everything. I think 9 o'clock is about the right time for me on a day off

I wanted to spend the day at home today but it wasn't to be as I had run out of my reflux meds and I can't live without them,so it was off into town for my prescription ,I got some bits of shopping while I was there as well,it took ages to get home because the city is full of road works everywhere so all the traffic is backed up,so much for me pottering in the garden

The house was a tip after DGS visited yesterday and DD didn't tidy anything away so it was all still there today,I've just tidied the living room of toys and baby bits,cleared and cleaned the kitchen which looked a right mess and hoovered downstairs,I'm just having a cup of tea before I go and hoover upstairs,downstairs looks lovely now so I will be able to relax later

I am finding lately that I want to spend more time at home pottering about,I've got so many things I want to get done but I keep ending up having to go out for various reasons and run out of time

I've listened to my podcast while I was doing the kitchen and it was abou planting a veggi garden and now I just want to get going with it,she said if you don't know where to start just plant one thing and then go from there,that way you don't get overwhelmed with it all,it sounds good to me
    I've decided that because my big square pallet won't be ready for a while I'm going to make use of all the pots I have knocking around in the shed,I can plant lettuce and tomatoes at least

I've also got some washing done today and was happy to be able dry it outside on the line,I love the smell of washing that's been out in the sun

The chickens are out pottering in the garden at the moment so while they are out I will go and poo pick their house and top up the food,the it will be time to walk the dog

I'm not sure about what to eat for tea tonight because I didn't have my lunch until 3.30 so I'm not hungry,I might jutnhave a sandwich,I bought some reduced ciabatta bread rolls today so could have one of those with cheese

Tomorrow I have work but I have got a lift so don't have to get up quite as early as normal,it's a public holiday because of Good Friday so it will be like working a Sunday,hopefully there won't be any management in because they don't usually work bank holidays,it's always a bit more relaxed and less stressed when there's no management,then after tomorrow I'm on holiday for a whole 9 days,I really can't wait
    Last edited by Onebrokelady; 18-04-2019 at 5:02 PM.
    Just keep swimming
    • Sunshine girl2
    • By Sunshine girl2 18th Apr 19, 7:50 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 280 Thanks
    Sunshine girl2
    Hope you have an easy day tomorrow, and then you can enjoy the sun whilst you are off.

Have a good Easter.
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 19th Apr 19, 8:26 PM
    • 1,661 Posts
    • 10,288 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Hope you have an easy day tomorrow, and then you can enjoy the sun whilst you are off.

Have a good Easter.
    Originally posted by Sunshine girl2
    Thanks Sunshine,I've had a ice day at work and I'm now finished for 9 days
    Have a good Easter xx
    Just keep swimming
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 19th Apr 19, 8:38 PM
    • 1,661 Posts
    • 10,288 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Work today started off fairly busy but it was mainly surgical daycase patients so they were all gone by the afternoon,I took the opportunity to do some cleaning and tidying,our staff room always get neglected so I cleaned that up today,it will look like a pigsty when I get back next week but I did get to enjoy it today
    We were all allowed one Easter egg each from the load that have been donated to the ward,so I have a yummy egg to eat over the weekend

I'm now on holiday for 9 days and I'm really looking forward to getting some jobs done around the house and garden
    Tomorrow I'm meeting my mum for lunch in town so won't be doing any jobs then,I'm giving myself the day off to chill out for a bit

Sunday's plan is to wash the living room curtains,hopefully the lovely weather will last and I can hang them out to dry on the line
    I might also do some more bits in the garden,I still need to move my chicken coop but need to finish laying the slabs first,so I might do a bit of that on Sunday,I want to reclaim my patio so we can sit out and DGS has enough room to play,there's plenty of room to sit out there now but the chickens smell so I dont t want them down on the patio,they were only meant to be there as a temporary measure while I sorted out the top bit of the garden but I just haven't had the energy to sort it out,if I can get those slabs done at the beginning of the week it would be possible to move the coop and run this week

I'm also still working on the bathroom but while the weather is good I would rather do jobs outside
    Just keep swimming
    • Nicnak
    • By Nicnak 20th Apr 19, 6:18 AM
    • 2,037 Posts
    • 11,964 Thanks
    Nicnak
    Have a wonderful 9 days off. Looking forward to hearing about your adventures. x
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 20th Apr 19, 6:28 AM
    • 7,022 Posts
    • 50,967 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Enjoy your days off Best to do the outside jobs while the weather's good, you can do the inside ones on a dull day. We have to make the most of this lovely sunshine.
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2019 £201.59
    Weight loss 7.5/9LBS
    Emergency Fund £3260/£10,000
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 20th Apr 19, 5:49 PM
    • 1,661 Posts
    • 10,288 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Wow what a scorcher of a day today,I really think Im solar powered because my energy levels go through the roof when the suns out

I walked into town to meet my mum today and it was heavenly,I listened to The Slow Home Podcast and just slowly strolled along enjoying the sun,I even wore my sandals as it was so hot.
    Poor mum was struggling a bit today because her back was aching,we stopped for lots of rests though.
    I think I might have persuaded her to scale down her wardrobe today,she was looking for some trousers that weren't jeans but she is quite short and couldn't find any in the style she wanted that were short enough,I remember going on the same shopping trip last year and I haven't seen her wearing the trousers she bought then,she has clothes in her wardrobe with the labels still on,so I said she should have a clear out and told her how easy I find it getting ready now I've scaled down my wardrobe,she probably has some trousers like the ones she was looking at already but has just forgotten

My mum just loves shopping I suppose but I can't see the point of buying things just for the sake of it especially if your not actually going to end up wearing it, I saw a nice top today and she wanted to buy it for me but I said no and explained that I don't need a top because I have enough already,I did convince her in the end that just because I see something and mention that I like it doesn't mean I have to or want to buy it,she doesn't get the logic but for once I won the argument :rotfl

I also bought some cheap mixed lettuce leaf seeds in Wilkos today,Im determined to make a start on growing something and after gaining inspiration from the Just grow one thing episode of the SH podcast I decided on lettuce leaves,I have pots and compost so tomorrow I'm planting them,I have some trough type pots that hook over the garden fence so I'm going to plant in one of those,the fence runs out from the back door along the side of the garden so it's in a sunny spot, near the kitchen and most importantly out of the reach of greedy chickens

I'm going to investigate some other things to grow too,I have grown tomatoes here in the past but haven't for a couple of years because they got blight so I gave up,but I'm going to have another go,I'm not sure if it's too late to plant seeds but if it is I might pick up some tomato plants and start with seeds next year,peppers are also a good choice for me as I will readily eat them in a lots of dishes,I'm going to try and grow the things I eat the most of but that don't take up too much room,I'm thinking of trying the tomatoes in the front garden so they are out of the way of the chickens,it's more open out the front and gets the sun for half the day so it might work

I don't know if I've mentioned it before but DD and myself had an allotment a few years ago,we had never grown anything on a bigger scale before and the site was a complete mess when we got it,the first season was spent clearing the ground so we could plant something, we had success with potatoes,onions,raspberries,squash,beetroot and cabbage and we absolutely loved spending time there, the site was riddled with an awful prehistoric weed called Horsetail or marestail though and it was a constant battle to keep it under control,it was also set into the bottom of a hill so some of it would flood on a regular basis,in the end life got in the way and we had to give it up,I still miss it now but it's a lot of work so I wouldn't do it again,growing in my garden however seems like the best way to go foe me at the moment
    I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out
    Just keep swimming
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 20th Apr 19, 6:42 PM
    • 8,903 Posts
    • 69,277 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Enjoy your nine days off OBL. I hope the weather stays nice for you so you can get your slabs laid and move the chicken coop . I hope you manage to plant your vegetable seeds too.

It's lovely having time to get jobs around the house done isn't it? I've been having a lovely time de-cluttering this week .
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £4,005. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £1,505.
    Goal - buy £50 worth of Premium Bonds per month = £0
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

137Posts Today

987Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin