Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 31st Jan 18, 12:15 AM
    • 868Posts
    • 4,517Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    My journey to a debt free life
    • 31st Jan 18, 12:15 AM
    My journey to a debt free life 31st Jan 18 at 12:15 AM
    Well Iíve been reading everyoneís diaryís and thought itís such a good idea I would start one myself,Iím hoping to use it as a way to record my journey to freedom from debt and also to have somewhere to come and just offload stuff
    My financial meltdown happened two weeks ago when I realised I just canít afford to pay my debts off properly,Iím sinking under the strain and jut adding more and more onto the total because itís just not sustainable. I came here and was given some brilliant advice then I went away and procrastinated for a week while pooping myself some more about what I am about to do I finally got my !!!! in gear this week and started the ball rollin by registering on the SC site and partially filling out the budget form,I then came unstuck because some of the info wasnít to hand,Iíve now sorted that and can proceed with finishing the budget form which I am doing tomorrow,by the end of this week I want to have contacted SC and set the ball rolling to set up a DMP.
    I then had problems with my online account for one of my creditors but I sorted that out this morning whilst also finding out exactly what I owe them,it was actually not as much as I thought but still too much so swings and roundabouts 😊 actually sorting that out today took me ten minutes but itís taken me days to do it,I just get overwhelmed and put stuff off then before I know it another week has gone by and nothing has changed. Still Iíve done what I set out to do today and tomorrow is budget form day then I will see where I go from there
    In other news I changed my phone provider on Saturday so now have a sim only deal for £9 a month instead of £20.02 plus I cancelled the insurance at £6 a month,Iíve also paid for the phone now too so there is a small saving,two weeks ago my phone contract was costing me £35 so Iím quite pleased with this new deal.
    Ok I think thatís enough waffling for one day and I need to try and get some sleep,letís see what tomorrow brings
Page 32
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 9th Nov 18, 11:03 AM
    • 868 Posts
    • 4,517 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Arrrggghhhh I had such a bad nights sleep last night,I was tired when I got in bed but just couldn't drop off,then I started thinking about Xmas and money and that was it panic stations,I then started worrying about how much I'm going to get paid and phoning SC to drop my payments and whether my creditors will kick off,god it was a long night
    I did drop off in the end but didn't sleep for as long as I wanted to and then slept in slightly this morning, but never mind I'm up now and raring to go

First thing I did was check my bank to see how the land lies and it's not as bad as I thought this month,I should have done it yesterday like I said I was going to and then I would have slept ok,I've managed to siphon off £20 to add to my Xmas savings so that's back up to £400 ,I just need to find out what people want and then actually buy it
    I'm off out to Aldi and the shops shortly to get my bits of shopping that I need and then I'm home for the rest of the day,I'm planning on sewing today because I haven't done it for a while due to spending all my time on the internet,I know from past experience that this is bad for me,I need to do some creative things to stop the depression from rearing it's ugly head
    I'm also planning on doing some baking,I have the usual soggy bananas to go in a banana bread and if I have time I am making a tea loaf,the fruit is usually soaked in the tea overnight though so I'm not sure if that will get done today or on Sunday

I think I also mentioned previously that my energy suppliers have increased my bill,so I'm looking at ways to lower my bill,I've started with the simple action of turning everything off at the plug when it's not being used,everything in this house is left plugged in and switched on regardless of if it's being used or not,so last night I turned everything off,I'm not sure how much difference it will make but it's got to help a little bit surely

Right I'm off to take the dog out as she is sitting here with her legs crossed staring at me intently :
    Just keep swimming
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £1,440 Total Now Owed = £16,190
    Emergency Fund = £300 Xmas savings = £400
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 9th Nov 18, 3:11 PM
    • 868 Posts
    • 4,517 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Just got back from shopping and it was quite a successful trip,I bought my dog food which was on special offer,so £6.99 a bag instead of £10.50 so I was pleased with that,I get it in The Range and while I was there I had a look at all the Xmas decorations,they have some lovely bits this year,I was very good though and didn't buy anything,I saw some little bits that would be good to decorate the dolls house with too but still didn't waver

I then went to Aldees and bought the bits I needed,I'm trying their wheetabix and their wash liquid,I've tried the wash tablets before and really liked them but DD thought they didn't clean the clothes as well,the liquid is super concentrated so I'm hoping it's good,I was going to cheat and pour into the empty Mr S bottle to see if she noticed but it's a different colour so I cant
    I bought mature cheddar which was £1.79 in Mr S I pay £2.50 ,I also got some chocolate caramel snack biscuits for 79p a pack and I think there is 8 in a pack,I normally pay £1 for whatever is on special offer,it's normally penguins or club biscuits,I tried one on the way home and it was lovely
    Altogether it came to £17 56 and I reckon if I had bought the same things in Mr S it would have been at least £10 dearer
    I'm happy with that,I couldnt do a full big shop there because they don't sell any of the Quorn stuff that I eat,but there is an Icelannd next door and they quite often have the bits I need

Now I'm home in the warm and haven't got to go anywhere,I got home just in time though because it's lashing down now,it just started spitting as I put my key in the door

I've just got to nip out in the garden and give my grumpy chickens some mash and worms to cheer them up,their house needs cleaning out as well but it's undercover of the run so I won't get wet, then it's sewing time
    Just keep swimming
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £1,440 Total Now Owed = £16,190
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 9th Nov 18, 5:29 PM
    • 5,765 Posts
    • 40,792 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I find laundry powder cheaper than liquid and it gets the laundry much cleaner.

Say hello to the chickens from me .
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    EMERGENCY FUND = £17
    "Tough times never last, but tough people do" - Robert H Schuller
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 9th Nov 18, 8:10 PM
    • 868 Posts
    • 4,517 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    I find laundry powder cheaper than liquid and it gets the laundry much cleaner.

Say hello to the chickens from me .
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    I usually buy the tablets but the only place that sells the ones I can use it the out of town MrT and I don't go out there very often,I should try powder because it's always cheaper but I'm put off by the size of,the box and getting it home,I don't like using liquid really becasue I think it makes my machine smell after a while especially if I'm using a 40 degree wash most of the time,the Aldee one says it's good at 15 degrees,I've got a load on now with some in so I will see how it goes

The chickens were not happy when I went out,they want to be out in the garden but because it's raining I've kept them in under cover,I gave them a nice big bowl of mash and worms for their tea so that stopped the riot
    Just keep swimming
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 9th Nov 18, 8:14 PM
    • 868 Posts
    • 4,517 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    I'm back,I've managed to do a chunk of my sewing but have had to stop because my back is hurting from bending over the frame,I'm pleased with what I got done though and will do some more over the weekend,I'm working tomorrow but off on Sunday,we are supposed to be taking the dog to the beach but if the weather stays like it is we won't be going,DD is also full of cold so she went straight to bed when she got home

I have been sneezing all afternoon,I just hope I'm not getting it because that would be bad news
    Just keep swimming
    • Chrystal
    • By Chrystal 9th Nov 18, 8:38 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 3,342 Thanks
    Chrystal
    Well sneezing is the bodys way of ejecting the germs (and spreading them ) so hopefully you'll get rid of them all and be OK.
    Can you remember the TV advert: coughs and sneezes spread diseases, trap your germs in a handkerchief - now I'm showing my age.
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 9th Nov 18, 8:59 PM
    • 868 Posts
    • 4,517 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Well sneezing is the bodys way of ejecting the germs (and spreading them ) so hopefully you'll get rid of them all and be OK.
    Can you remember the TV advert: coughs and sneezes spread diseases, trap your germs in a handkerchief - now I'm showing my age.
    Originally posted by Chrystal
    Hopefully
    I can't possibly comment on whether I can remember that advert
    The recent one was Catch It Kill It Bin It
    Just keep swimming
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 10th Nov 18, 6:54 AM
    • 4,399 Posts
    • 23,481 Thanks
    foxgloves
    I'm another who prefers laundry powder over liquids. I used to use liquid but found it regularly left white marks on dark clothing & seemed to cack up the door seal with sludge. I went back to powder & having tried various supermarket own label ones, I now always buy A*di's own 'Almat' - the variety in the green box. I use a small shot glass for a measure - one shot glass per load deals with the vast majority of laundry. Anything tricky gets a rub with neat washing-up liquid first or a pre-soak in soda crystal solution, but such occasions are rare.
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £470-01
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £304 2018 = £403
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 10th Nov 18, 5:27 PM
    • 2,070 Posts
    • 12,028 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    my energy suppliers have increased my bill,so I'm looking at ways to lower my bill,I've started with the simple action of turning everything off at the plug when it's not being used,everything in this house is left plugged in and switched on regardless of if it's being used or not,so last night I turned everything off,I'm not sure how much difference it will make but it's got to help a little bit surely
    Originally posted by Onebrokelady
    I'm sure I've read that it makes a difference. A quick Google found this: https://www.moneywise.co.uk/news/2017-12-07/households-waste-nearly-100-year-leaving-tech-standby-switch-items

Have you tried using beans or chickpeas instead of Quorn? I have rather a thing about chickpeas and the dried ones are super-cheap. In a curry or casserole with a mixture of veg, they are a good source of protein, and you can probably make burgers with them if you mash them up.

I hope the cold comes to nothing.
    MFW #30 Paid off £3,535.94/£3000 as of 6/11/18
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 10th Nov 18, 7:24 PM
    • 4,399 Posts
    • 23,481 Thanks
    foxgloves
    You certainly can! Delia Smith's Spicy chickpea burgers are frequently made in our house & they freeze well too.
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £470-01
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £304 2018 = £403
    • Nicnak
    • By Nicnak 10th Nov 18, 7:46 PM
    • 1,340 Posts
    • 7,221 Thanks
    Nicnak
    Hi,

Finally found your diary and subscribing xx
    September 6th 2017 - Updated 21st Oct
    Credit Card £0 now: £0 Tesco Loan £7500 = £0 Consolidation £15,000 = £10,812 Total = £25,330 £10,812 59% gone EMF #252 = £1300/£1000
    Sealed pot challenge #589
    Pay off all your debts by Christmas #71
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 10th Nov 18, 8:54 PM
    • 5,765 Posts
    • 40,792 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I like chickpeas too and even the tinned ones are much cheaper than Quorn. I like Quorn but it's not cheap.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    EMERGENCY FUND = £17
    "Tough times never last, but tough people do" - Robert H Schuller
    • Kitten868
    • By Kitten868 10th Nov 18, 9:58 PM
    • 1,027 Posts
    • 2,409 Thanks
    Kitten868
    Hello 1BL,

I've seen your lovely encouraging posts on other diaries. Having read your diary I wanted to say that deserve some of your love back too. You're doing fantastically with your debts! You are consistently paying it down and never adding to it. You sound like you keep going by having lovely people all around you that you love and that love you. Sometimes you get the budget a bit wrong but you are still reducing debt every day. I'm in awe of you. Even with all the animal emergencies that have sprung up. Well done you.

I must know: have you claimed your tax refunds for your uniform? Have you claimed your single occupancy for council tax? If not is it something you can get dd to do as she is the student? I'm not nagging you promise.

Definitely get your mum the magazine subscription for Christmas it's a brilliant idea and so thoughtful. For dad what about dressing gown or slippers? They're always nice to receive. Get your mum sorted so it's another ticked off job. I think there's cashback for the magazine subscription.

As for your obsession with home reno magazines that is exactly what Pinterest is for! And it's free! I may be a bit obsessed but it is great for seeing what works and what doesn't.

Keep going! You're doing great xxxx
    Loan 1 £5400/£8000
    Loan 2 £3400/£5800
    Total £8800/£13800 36% PAID

And CC £1475/1900
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 10th Nov 18, 10:40 PM
    • 868 Posts
    • 4,517 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    I'm another who prefers laundry powder over liquids. I used to use liquid but found it regularly left white marks on dark clothing & seemed to cack up the door seal with sludge. I went back to powder & having tried various supermarket own label ones, I now always buy A*di's own 'Almat' - the variety in the green box. I use a small shot glass for a measure - one shot glass per load deals with the vast majority of laundry. Anything tricky gets a rub with neat washing-up liquid first or a pre-soak in soda crystal solution, but such occasions are rare.
    Originally posted by foxgloves
    We are having the same problem with the white marks on dark clothing,when this lot of liquid runs out I'm going to try some powder,I've used the almat one and I liked it, that was the one that my DD didn't like but it was the tablets
    Just keep swimming
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 10th Nov 18, 10:45 PM
    • 868 Posts
    • 4,517 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    I'm sure I've read that it makes a difference. A quick Google found this: https://www.moneywise.co.uk/news/2017-12-07/households-waste-nearly-100-year-leaving-tech-standby-switch-items

Have you tried using beans or chickpeas instead of Quorn? I have rather a thing about chickpeas and the dried ones are super-cheap. In a curry or casserole with a mixture of veg, they are a good source of protein, and you can probably make burgers with them if you mash them up.

I hope the cold comes to nothing.
    Originally posted by Cherryfudge
    Thanks for the link Cherry,every little helps so they say,unfortunately I don't like beans or chickpeas
    The cold hasn't materialised but I have a rather nasty mouth ulcer on my lip that is throbbing away
    Just keep swimming
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 10th Nov 18, 10:48 PM
    • 868 Posts
    • 4,517 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Hi,

Finally found your diary and subscribing xx
    Originally posted by Nicnak
    Hi good to see you Nicnak
    Just keep swimming
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 10th Nov 18, 11:01 PM
    • 868 Posts
    • 4,517 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Hello 1BL,

I've seen your lovely encouraging posts on other diaries. Having read your diary I wanted to say that deserve some of your love back too. You're doing fantastically with your debts! You are consistently paying it down and never adding to it. You sound like you keep going by having lovely people all around you that you love and that love you. Sometimes you get the budget a bit wrong but you are still reducing debt every day. I'm in awe of you. Even with all the animal emergencies that have sprung up. Well done you.

I must know: have you claimed your tax refunds for your uniform? Have you claimed your single occupancy for council tax? If not is it something you can get dd to do as she is the student? I'm not nagging you promise.

Definitely get your mum the magazine subscription for Christmas it's a brilliant idea and so thoughtful. For dad what about dressing gown or slippers? They're always nice to receive. Get your mum sorted so it's another ticked off job. I think there's cashback for the magazine subscription.

As for your obsession with home reno magazines that is exactly what Pinterest is for! And it's free! I may be a bit obsessed but it is great for seeing what works and what doesn't.

Keep going! You're doing great xxxx
    Originally posted by Kitten868
    Awww thanks for your lovely comments, I haven't claimed the tax refunds for my uniform yet but I promise I will do it now you've reminded me
    The council tax is an ongoing issue,Im going in again on Tuesday and hoping they have the student list now,if not I'm going to phone DDs uni to ask for the certificate they say they know nothing about,they used to back date the single occupancy allowance so im hoping they still do and I will get the last two months back

I still can't make up my mind about getting mum the subscription for the magazine,I think she would like it though,Dad doesn't wear a dressing gown or slippers but recently has started wearing jumpers so I might get him a jumper,I usually buy him a food based gift set but wanted a change this year ,he does enjoy the food though

I'm already addicted to Pinterest,I can spend hours on there,I start off looking at one thing and then end up looking at completly different things,I have several boards of ideas for different things I want to try,sadly at the moment a lot of them aren't doable because of a lack of money but it's nice to dream
    Just keep swimming
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 10th Nov 18, 11:41 PM
    • 2,070 Posts
    • 12,028 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    unfortunately I don't like beans or chickpeas
    Originally posted by Onebrokelady
    Definitely time to unplug things at the wall, then.

Good to hear you haven't got the cold. I get ulcers more if I'm stressed or run down so may I just add, take care of yourself? Rest, vitamins, fluid etc... x
    MFW #30 Paid off £3,535.94/£3000 as of 6/11/18
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 10th Nov 18, 11:47 PM
    • 868 Posts
    • 4,517 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Today at work turned out to be One Of Those Days,I cant talk about it but it was extremely sad and although sometimes I have problems they are nothing compared to what happened today, I will still moan sometimes about my lot in life but today I can say I am truely grateful for everything I hold dear and now I'm going to move swiftly on

Tomorrow is my day off again,one of the advantages of not being allowed to work two days in a row is that I never have to wait long for a day off, I used to sometimes work three 12 hour shifts in a row or 5 nights,I really don't know how I did that,I certainly couldn't do it now that's for sure

Anyway I haven't got to get up early tomorrow so that is a good start to the day,im not too sure what I'm doing yet
    We we're going to the beach with the dog but the weather might not be good enough and DD is thinking of going into town to do some Xmas shopping so I might do that instead,there is a 30% deal off in a Debenhaams so I fancy a look in there for some ideas
    I always get my girls some pjs for Xmas and last year I waited until the last possible moment and got them some really nice ones in the pre Xmas sale,but they might have a good deal on tomorrow

Im also planning on doing more sewing tomorrow,I was looking for something on my disaster of a craft desk a couple of weeks ago and found some felt Xmas decorations that I bought as a kit, I started to make them but didn't finish so I'm going to look for them again tomorrow and see if I can get them finished for this year
    I used to spend lots of money of craft kits and supplies but didn't get round to making some of them,it was the thrill of the shopping that I liked,now I'm going to shop from home and make what I have already bought

I'm off to bed in a bit and hoping my ulcer stops throbbing so I can go to sleep,I have Bonjela so will plaster it in that

Have a lovely Sunday everyone and give your loved ones and extra hug
    Just keep swimming
    • Nicnak
    • By Nicnak 11th Nov 18, 7:49 AM
    • 1,340 Posts
    • 7,221 Thanks
    Nicnak
    Sorry work hasn't been a good day. I hope tomorrow is better for you when you are back.

They do back date the council tax. I got a refund earlier this year when Ex left and we had the money refunded into the account we were paying from. I pay £93 a month now instead of around £150. that's a huge difference.

x
    September 6th 2017 - Updated 21st Oct
    Credit Card £0 now: £0 Tesco Loan £7500 = £0 Consolidation £15,000 = £10,812 Total = £25,330 £10,812 59% gone EMF #252 = £1300/£1000
    Sealed pot challenge #589
    Pay off all your debts by Christmas #71
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

139Posts Today

1,217Users online

Martin's Twitter