Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 31st Jan 18, 12:15 AM
    • 424Posts
    • 1,114Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    My journey to a debt free life
    • 31st Jan 18, 12:15 AM
    My journey to a debt free life 31st Jan 18 at 12:15 AM
    Well Iíve been reading everyoneís diaryís and thought itís such a good idea I would start one myself,Iím hoping to use it as a way to record my journey to freedom from debt and also to have somewhere to come and just offload stuff
    My financial meltdown happened two weeks ago when I realised I just canít afford to pay my debts off properly,Iím sinking under the strain and jut adding more and more onto the total because itís just not sustainable. I came here and was given some brilliant advice then I went away and procrastinated for a week while pooping myself some more about what I am about to do I finally got my !!!! in gear this week and started the ball rollin by registering on the SC site and partially filling out the budget form,I then came unstuck because some of the info wasnít to hand,Iíve now sorted that and can proceed with finishing the budget form which I am doing tomorrow,by the end of this week I want to have contacted SC and set the ball rolling to set up a DMP.
    I then had problems with my online account for one of my creditors but I sorted that out this morning whilst also finding out exactly what I owe them,it was actually not as much as I thought but still too much so swings and roundabouts !!!128522; actually sorting that out today took me ten minutes but itís taken me days to do it,I just get overwhelmed and put stuff off then before I know it another week has gone by and nothing has changed. Still Iíve done what I set out to do today and tomorrow is budget form day then I will see where I go from there
    In other news I changed my phone provider on Saturday so now have a sim only deal for £9 a month instead of £20.02 plus I cancelled the insurance at £6 a month,Iíve also paid for the phone now too so there is a small saving,two weeks ago my phone contract was costing me £35 so Iím quite pleased with this new deal.
    Ok I think thatís enough waffling for one day and I need to try and get some sleep,letís see what tomorrow brings
Page 20
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 10th Jul 18, 10:16 PM
    • 424 Posts
    • 1,114 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    It's fair to say I am shattered now,I looked after DGS today and he was really grumpy,I took him to see my mum and he cried almost the whole time we were there,I wish I hadn't taken him now because I think she could do without it to be honest,he needed to sleep but wouldn't go to sleep, I then went into town to meet DD2 and he fell asleep right on lunch time,it was also really hot today so I don't think that helped much either

Mum is doing ok though she just feels really tired but that's understandable after the last couple of weeks, she wants to meet for lunch in town this Saturday like we normally do but I'm not sure if it's a good idea ,she can't carry anything,I've suggested that if we do meet I take my little shopping trolley to put her bits in then I can pull that around,Dad can either pick her up to take her home again or I can go back with her on the bus

I had a bit of good news today too,DD2 has been able to claim back the money she spent renting a room for her first placement so this means she has that money to use for the second placement she has also saved up quite a bit so when she goes back to uni in September she is going to start paying me rent again,this will make up for the loss of her boyfriends rent when he goes away to uni in September

I have an Occupational Health appointment on Thursday and I am going to request to cut my hours from 34.5 a week to 30,this will mean I will be doing two long days and one shorter day instead of 3 long days a week,I'm hoping the pay rise we are getting in july will go some way to make up the shortfall in my wages or I might have to lower my SC payment if it doesn't,I am doing this for health reasons so hopefully there won't be a problem anywhere
    Just keep swimming
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £904.00 Total Now Owed = £16,726
    Emergency Fund = £450.00 Xmas savings = £300.00
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 10th Jul 18, 10:55 PM
    • 1,862 Posts
    • 10,100 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Here's hoping for good news for both your Mums.

OBL, I can imagine if we could concertina time and bring 1953 to the present day, you and my Mum would have lots of stories to swap!
    MFW #30 Paid off £2,109.13/£3770 as of 12/7/18
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 12th Jul 18, 3:51 PM
    • 424 Posts
    • 1,114 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Here's hoping for good news for both your Mums.

OBL, I can imagine if we could concertina time and bring 1953 to the present day, you and my Mum would have lots of stories to swap!
    Originally posted by Cherryfudge
    Yes we would
    Just keep swimming
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £904.00 Total Now Owed = £16,726
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 12th Jul 18, 5:46 PM
    • 424 Posts
    • 1,114 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Arrrggghhhh lost my post
    In short today I went to my Occupational Health appointment today and although the appointment was on the whole a waste of time he has recommended that I cut my hours on a trial basis,he did say I should check with the pension people though as it can adversely effect my final pension
    The whole appointment made me feel like crap so I went next door to Waitrose and bought a coffee and a huge cake,this was followed by a trip into town where I bought myself a dress I do need a dress for DGS naming ceremony at the end of the month but I had already bought one,this dress was half price in the sale which made it the same price as the dress I had already bought,I am going to take the first dress back when I go into town on Saturday as I don't need two,I am definitely an emotional spender

In other news I DDs boyfriend has gone to a festival until Sunday so when I got home I cleaned all downstairs,he leaves his stuff everywhere so it should stay nice and tidyuntil he gets back on Sunday afternoon, I must say I will miss him when he goes to uni in September because we get on really well but I will not miss the mess

I also went to a discount chemist shop today that I don't normally go to and their prices were amazing,I am definitely going to buy my household stuff there when I next need some.I think when I next get paid I might just do a bulk buy of cleaning and washing stuff as this shop is a bit further up the town than I normally go,so if I stock up it will last me the month and I will only need to make one trip
    I'm just cooking my tea and then I am going to finish hoovering upstairs and clean the bathroom,I also have some ironing to do so will get that done as well,I'm working tomorrow but then I have the weekend off so I can chill out and relax in my nice tidy house
    Just keep swimming
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 12th Jul 18, 10:23 PM
    • 1,862 Posts
    • 10,100 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I know what you mean about emotional spending, I do it too. Nice choice of things to buy, especially as you plan to take the other dress back.
    If you reduce your hours, there may be an option to overpay on your pension in the future (I know this depends on having the funds, but you may find that if you have a bit more time at home, you can cut costs. Being off sick I am spending less on food and eating well as I can cook from scratch. You would also have a little less to pay on travel).
    The discount shop was a good find! Love it when I find a place like that.
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 12th Jul 18, 10:45 PM
    • 424 Posts
    • 1,114 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    I know what you mean about emotional spending, I do it too. Nice choice of things to buy, especially as you plan to take the other dress back.
    If you reduce your hours, there may be an option to overpay on your pension in the future (I know this depends on having the funds, but you may find that if you have a bit more time at home, you can cut costs. Being off sick I am spending less on food and eating well as I can cook from scratch. You would also have a little less to pay on travel).
    The discount shop was a good find! Love it when I find a place like that.
    Unfortunately I would still be working three days a week,it's just that one day would be a shorter 8 hour day instead of 12 hours so my travel would stay the same,I will pay slightly less tax and NI though, the other downside is I would lose some holiday time but I get 8 weeks a year so I think I can cope with how that
    We get a pay rise this month so that will take up some of the slack,I'm hoping with the pay rise and the decrease in tax and NI I might end up on the same money or just slightly les than I get now,all my colleagues that have cut their hours have said they didn't notice that much of a difference,so we will see

I have been thinking about the future a lot lately and I've realised that all my bills will go down once DD2 leaves home again when she finishes this degree in two years, I've also been mulling over the idea of taking in a lodger when her room becomes empty, there are so many people working at the hospital who are looking for accommodation,we have students all the time on placement looking for rooms to rent on. temporary basis,I have a major University jut down the road who are always looking for accommodation for students and lecturers, I had always shied away from renting a room out but when DD2 went to her placement and I chatted to the lady she rented a room from it sounded really good,she was saying it's a good way to earn money and you get to meet new people all the time,she lived on her own before and she said it was nice having the company,she does temporary contract through a room letting agency and it seem to work really well,my daughter stayed with her for 6 weeks in a single room and the landlady earned £600 for it,all she did was provide the room nothing else so it's not too bad

The cheap chemist is a shop I was aware of but had never been in,but I had been to my appointment up that end of town so thought I would pop in while I was there,it would definitely be worth getting all my cleaning bits from them,they also sold the Astonish range that you told me about ,I can't believe how cheap it is,I'm going back for sure,I downgraded our toothpaste from £3.40 a tube to 75p it's still the same brand just not the fancy one I normally buy
    Just keep swimming
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 12th Jul 18, 11:19 PM
    • 1,862 Posts
    • 10,100 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Shame you would still have the same travel costs. I assume you usually work 12 hour shifts, so an 8 hour day would feel nice! At least the option of a trial period is there: you don't have to take it permanently if doesn't work for you.

If your DD is anything like my daughter (and older son), you will notice your washing machine gets a lot less wear and tear when she's not around! And DS2 is forever leaving the telly on when he's nowhere near... so you may also see an effect on your bills! Mind you a lodger might make them go up again, but I think having one is a great idea.

I like some Astonish items more than others but at about £1 a go they are certainly worth a try. I think I mentioned I liked their laundry liquid too - I can't remember the price now, maybe about £3 but it seemed to work well and smelled good. Sadly I eventually developed a mild reaction to it.
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 15th Jul 18, 9:56 PM
    • 424 Posts
    • 1,114 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Shame you would still have the same travel costs. I assume you usually work 12 hour shifts, so an 8 hour day would feel nice! At least the option of a trial period is there: you don't have to take it permanently if doesn't work for you.

If your DD is anything like my daughter (and older son), you will notice your washing machine gets a lot less wear and tear when she's not around! And DS2 is forever leaving the telly on when he's nowhere near... so you may also see an effect on your bills! Mind you a lodger might make them go up again, but I think having one is a great idea.

I like some Astonish items more than others but at about £1 a go they are certainly worth a try. I think I mentioned I liked their laundry liquid too - I can't remember the price now, maybe about £3 but it seemed to work well and smelled good. Sadly I eventually developed a mild reaction to it.
    Yes I do 12 hour shifts so an 8 hour shift would be lovely
    The things that get left on in my house are the lights and phone chargers,it drives me nuts especially the phone chargers becasue they get really hot, we don't really use the TV much but my washing machine is on everyday at the moment but at least with all this sunny weather I haven't had to use the tumble dryer
    Just keep swimming
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 15th Jul 18, 10:09 PM
    • 424 Posts
    • 1,114 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Busy few days here with a busy day at work on a Friday that wore me out,I had Saturday and Sunday off so a nice weekend free
    Yesterday I didn't get up until 10.30;because I just couldn't wake up,I had a relaxing breakfast then had to pop into town with my DD because she is going on holiday next Saturday and was woefully short of clothes,we took some bits to the charity shop as well, we also took sandwiches and just bought a drink becasue it was a lovely day so we had a picnic by the cathedral, it's so nice to be able to sit outside
    I just sat and chilled out in the evening because I'm just so tired
    This morning I was up at 9.30 but only because I was woken up by fly that kept landing on me, I've done all my washing today and changed my bed,it's all dry but not ironed yet,I was going to do it tonight but I'm too tired and was too hot,I also made a banana bread today to use up some bananas that were overripe,it was a Mary Berry recipe that I haven't tried before and it tastes lovely
    I also managed to do some sewing today and I'm hoping to finally finish the flaming thing this week and get it framed,it should have been finsished ages ago but I just couldn't muster up the enthusiasm to do it,I can't wait to get it done now
    I've got work tomorrow so will be off to bed in a minute,DDs boyfriend came back from his festival today and Im just waiting for his clothes to finish in the machine then they can be pegged out in the morning hopefully
    Just keep swimming
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 16th Jul 18, 12:35 AM
    • 1,862 Posts
    • 10,100 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    It sounds as though you've had a busy weekend off! Hope you can find time to relax during the week sometime.
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 17th Jul 18, 10:00 PM
    • 424 Posts
    • 1,114 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Phew another busy day today, it was my day to have DGS so I was up early,I took him to see a friend for coffee and a catch up so that was nice,then on the way home I had to go via town for some bits for food shopping,the home to tidy up and give DGS his tea before his mum picked home up,I was shattered when he left but still had to take the dog out and sort the chickens,I'm now relaxing in bed and hoping to sleep well tonight
    Just keep swimming
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 17th Jul 18, 10:02 PM
    • 424 Posts
    • 1,114 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    It sounds as though you've had a busy weekend off! Hope you can find time to relax during the week sometime.
    Too busy to relax this week,I'm working tomorrow and Friday and on Thursday I'm going to have to go to get chicken supplies and sort the house, after Friday I have a week off and I can't wait
    Just keep swimming
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 22nd Jul 18, 12:19 PM
    • 424 Posts
    • 1,114 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Popped in to update
    Mum had her follow up appointment on Wednesday and it was good news and the cancer has not spread to the lymph nodes so was localised in her breast,it was an eostrogen receptive cancer though so she has to take hormones now for the rest of her life to stop it coming back,she also has an appointment with the oncology team in a few weeks to discuss radiotherapy,the surgeon wasn't sure if she would actually need it but they will discuss it with her,she also has a fitting soon for a prosthetic breast, we went shopping yesterday for mastectomy bras in M&S,they have quite a good choice and you get the vat refunded if you have had surgery so she got £5 off,she has been so lucky and I am so relieved it was good news,I was really expecting it to be bad seeing as she has been walking round like it for three years,she has made a really good recovery and now just wants to get back to normal
    Just keep swimming
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 22nd Jul 18, 12:27 PM
    • 424 Posts
    • 1,114 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    I have this week off and DD and her boyfriend have gone away for the week so I have the house to myself,I met mum for lunch yesterday for the first time since her op,it was nice to do something normal for a change

Today's plans are to sort the house out and get all the washing done then I can spend a few days relaxing hopefully,everywhere should stay tidy seeing as there is just me here,I've done the kitchen and polished the living room I just have to hoover now,the washing is blowing on the line because it's lovely and sunny,I'm just having a tea break before I do the hoovering
    Just keep swimming
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 22nd Jul 18, 12:27 PM
    • 6,733 Posts
    • 14,333 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Good news and hope your mum recovers soon.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 22nd Jul 18, 12:29 PM
    • 424 Posts
    • 1,114 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Good news and hope your mum recovers soon.
    Originally posted by enthusiasticsaver
    Thanks,she is doing really well x
    Just keep swimming
    • Chrystal
    • By Chrystal 22nd Jul 18, 2:25 PM
    • 327 Posts
    • 2,099 Thanks
    Chrystal
    That is wonderful news about your Mum Enjoy your time off work. X
    GC. Oct.17 = £261.18/ £300 = + £38.82 NSDs 20/31
    GC. Sept.17 = £354.89/£300 = - £54.39

• Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 22nd Jul 18, 11:05 PM
    • 424 Posts
    • 1,114 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    That is wonderful news about your Mum Enjoy your time off work. X
    Originally posted by Chrystal
    Thanks Crystal,I'm so relieved it was good news
    Just keep swimming
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 22nd Jul 18, 11:22 PM
    • 424 Posts
    • 1,114 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    What a busy productive day I have had,I got all my jobs for today done and have spent the evening reading posts on here,I discovered The Garden Fence thread and have been reading that,some of it is hysterically funny,I don't think I'm going to catch up with it though as it's quite fast moving
    Tomorrow's plans are to get up early because there is a parcel being delivered any time from 7.30 am,if it turns up early enough I am going shopping for some food bits later on,I'm fancying a curry so will be making a korma which will last me for 4 days,I don't need a lot of shopping this week seeing as it's just me here,Im getting a taste of what it will be like when I'm on my own and although my DD buys her own food she still uses other stuff and sometimes shares my bits,so it's comforting to know that my food budget is enough for me to live on by myself
    I'm also sorting out my bedroom tomorrow,I didn't add it to today's list because it needs a good spring clean and de clutter,I've not bothered doing it for a while because I was feeling a bit low but i feel up to sorting it out now so that's a job for tomorrow,I should also have time to do some bits in the garden hopefully
    My new neighbours have properly moved in now and I'm a bit worried about them,they have a son who's age is possibly around 8 or 9 years old (I could be completely wrong I'm just going by size) and OMG he is noisy,they came back late last night and he was running up and down the stairs at 11pm and slamming doors,I then heard an almighty crash just as I was dozing off,tonight all I have heard is banging up and down the stairs and doors slamming,I'm hoping it's the excitement of a new place and he will settle down but his mum was shouting at him earlier so it seems like regular behaviour, I hope they are not going to be pain in the bum neighbours as the last ones were lovely and quiet
    I'm off to bed now and praying I won't be kept awake again tonight
    Just keep swimming
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 22nd Jul 18, 11:32 PM
    • 1,862 Posts
    • 10,100 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Great news about your Mum! I'm very happy for you.

Neighbours sound a bit of a pain though. Hopefully, as you say, it could be being in a new place and things will settle down.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,205Posts Today

8,293Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: Worried about your finances? Or maybe you just want to know some tips and tricks for getting the best money-saving deals??

• About to start @thismorning talking about why everyone should check their mortgage rates and then may be able to sa? https://t.co/ulkdPb031h

• Today's Twitter poll: Do you / would you wear fur? Reports coming out today that even some fur labeled fake actual? https://t.co/QUh6P9TVgh

• Follow Martin