Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 31st Jan 18, 12:15 AM
    • 415Posts
    • 1,109Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    My journey to a debt free life
    • 31st Jan 18, 12:15 AM
    My journey to a debt free life 31st Jan 18 at 12:15 AM
    Well Iíve been reading everyoneís diaryís and thought itís such a good idea I would start one myself,Iím hoping to use it as a way to record my journey to freedom from debt and also to have somewhere to come and just offload stuff
    My financial meltdown happened two weeks ago when I realised I just canít afford to pay my debts off properly,Iím sinking under the strain and jut adding more and more onto the total because itís just not sustainable. I came here and was given some brilliant advice then I went away and procrastinated for a week while pooping myself some more about what I am about to do I finally got my !!!! in gear this week and started the ball rollin by registering on the SC site and partially filling out the budget form,I then came unstuck because some of the info wasnít to hand,Iíve now sorted that and can proceed with finishing the budget form which I am doing tomorrow,by the end of this week I want to have contacted SC and set the ball rolling to set up a DMP.
    I then had problems with my online account for one of my creditors but I sorted that out this morning whilst also finding out exactly what I owe them,it was actually not as much as I thought but still too much so swings and roundabouts !!!128522; actually sorting that out today took me ten minutes but itís taken me days to do it,I just get overwhelmed and put stuff off then before I know it another week has gone by and nothing has changed. Still Iíve done what I set out to do today and tomorrow is budget form day then I will see where I go from there
    In other news I changed my phone provider on Saturday so now have a sim only deal for £9 a month instead of £20.02 plus I cancelled the insurance at £6 a month,Iíve also paid for the phone now too so there is a small saving,two weeks ago my phone contract was costing me £35 so Iím quite pleased with this new deal.
    Ok I think thatís enough waffling for one day and I need to try and get some sleep,letís see what tomorrow brings
Page 16
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 18th Apr 18, 9:20 PM
    • 415 Posts
    • 1,109 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    How very annoying! I struggle with my library app - it's not completely compatible with my Kindle so only certain books will download. The Kindle is five years old so I suppose it may not be the app's fault but I do buy quite a few books for it and I'd hoped to reduce spending by just borrowing.

Your borrowed book does sound like my sort of read! If I wait long enough it will probably turn up in the 99p downloads.

Hope all the colds are soon gone.
    Originally posted by Cherryfudge
    It was my fault really because the book was only out for everyone to read for a limited time and I just forgot,I think they do it every few months and it's like a book club so they announce the book and everyone can read it then there is a discussion about it after,I will put a hold on it and finish it as soon as I can
    I've got the app on my iPad and my phone and my daughter had it on her iPad phone and PC,she tried to download it onto her Kindle but it doesn't work
    I think I'm over the worst of my cold now,it's just an irritating cough that needs to clear up now,I've been find all day but I'm coughing a bit now,I d feel a lot better though
    Hope you and yours are ok too xx
    Just keep swimming
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £904.00 Total Now Owed = £16,726
    Emergency Fund = £450.00 Xmas savings = £300.00
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 19th Apr 18, 2:50 PM
    • 415 Posts
    • 1,109 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Omg,it's such a lovely sunny day today,I've just been out for a lovely walk with the dog and it's sooooo hot out there. I have two days off now so had a lie in this morning then got up and had a leisurely breakfast,I've been busy since though as I've washed all my cushion covers and I've been out in the garden and scrubbed the table and chairs so we can sit outside to eat if we want I've got two loads of washing on the line as well

My post just arrived and it included a new debit card from my old NatWest account,they made me send my old one back when I started my DMP so god knows why they have sent me another,it did cross my mind that I might now be able to draw out the £184 that my daughter accidental paid into my old account,but I'm not sure if they would let me and I then immediately thought I prefer the fact that it's paid off some of the debt,it would have been nice to add it to my emergency fund though,I suppose now I've got a card I could pay extra payments off that OD if I wanted to and had the money spare,it's highly unlikely I will have the money spare but I would love to pay it off quicker than I am
    How times have changed though,last year I would have gone straight into town to the bank to try and get that money back but I'm liking the fact that I've paid it off and I'm not in desperate need of it so it's best if I leave it alone

I'm just sitting here having a late lunch break then I getting back to cleaning my house up,I haven't done anything for days and it really needs hoovering so that's my next job followed by cleaning the chickens out,they are currently sunbathing outside the back door,the sun shines on my patio all day and the ground gets really warm,they will lie there all day with their wings spread out basking in the sun,they get really grumpy if I disturb them and lots of disgruntled clucking ensues if I make them move,not that they are in charge or anything you understand
    The only fly in the ointment of today is that yesterday at work my headache and facial neuralgia came back,it was gone when I left work but has come back today,so I'm in a bit of pain today,I ran hot water over my face in the shower this morning as that seems to help but it's come back now,I'm just going to ignore it though and carry on with my day
    I hope everyone else is having the same lovely weather we are,it makes my bones feel so much better
    Last edited by Onebrokelady; 19-04-2018 at 2:55 PM.
    Just keep swimming
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £904.00 Total Now Owed = £16,726
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 19th Apr 18, 10:16 PM
    • 415 Posts
    • 1,109 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    A very productive day here today,I've cleaned the house and had a massive clear up in the garden,I've been out there all afternoon and it's was sooooo warm,I really enjoyed getting out and doing something physical for a change and the garden looks really nice now,I will be able to sit out in the back garden now if the weather is good
    The next job in the garden is to move the chicken coop back up to the middle section of the garden. I had to move them onto the patio in an emergency last year because it was on soil and we had an invasion of rats,they dug into the run and we couldn't get rid of them so I moved them down to the patio which is concrete,it's not practical for them to stay there though as they do smell even if you keep on top of cleaning them out and I like to sit out in the garden in the summer so they need to be moved back up the garden, I need to prepare the ground first though so lots of digging will be going on over the summer,I have paving slabs to move and lay down so we won't get a rat problem again,this is a project I can do over the summer and it won't cost me anything as I have all the bits for it already and it will keep me busy so I don't go out spending money
    Just keep swimming
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 26th Apr 18, 9:39 PM
    • 415 Posts
    • 1,109 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Oh dear,the poop hasn't hit the fan this week,my daughters cat has been having ongoing treatment for a corneal ulcer and today I took him for a check up and it's got worse because he has managed to scratch it and has punctured his eye luckily there is a blood clot in the hole so his eye hasn't ruptured yet,he had to have another operation and they have made plasma eyedrops from his blood,I now have to apply these drops every hour for the next 24 hours,the problem is the cost , so far it's cost £800 and £500 has been covered by insurance but the insurance has a £500 limit per condition so it at its limit now, my daughter now has to pay the bills herself and she is really stressed out about it because she is at uni and only has her uni finances to live on,she has sold one of her games consoles and is selling another soon to go towards the bill but this will only go so far,Im thinking I might have to use my emergency fund if she can't find the money,the cat might need further surgery and there is a big risk that he will lose his eye so it's very serious,I just hope it doesn't rupture in the meantime
    Just keep swimming
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 26th Apr 18, 11:29 PM
    • 1,860 Posts
    • 10,090 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Oh no, the poor cat! And the rest of you. Vets' bills can be high... speak from experience there. I wonder whether the vet has any scheme where payments can be made by instalments?

Do hope all works out well, and soon. And I hope you don't suffer too much from being up all that time to do the drops.
    MFW #30 Paid off £2,109.13/£3770 as of 12/7/18
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 30th Apr 18, 9:27 PM
    • 415 Posts
    • 1,109 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Oh no, the poor cat! And the rest of you. Vets' bills can be high... speak from experience there. I wonder whether the vet has any scheme where payments can be made by instalments?

Do hope all works out well, and soon. And I hope you don't suffer too much from being up all that time to do the drops.
    Its still ongoing, I took home for his post op check and the vet today says they want the ophthalmologist to see him (£200) she spoke to the ophthalmologist and she suggested new oral antibiotics and will see him tomorrow,I asked if I should carry on with the plasma drops and the vet said no the ophthalmologist says they probably didn't help much, then she said I could carry on with them if I wanted to as it wouldn't hurt,I have carried on giving them to him seeing as we paid over £50 for themhis eye looked a bit better yesterday but not as good today,I'm so angry about this now because they don't seem to know what they are doing,I'm going to tell them tomorrow that there is no more money and see what they say then,if we had seen the opthalmologist in the first place it would have been covered by the insurance and the problem would have probably been solved by now, I'm going to tell them that if they can't garantee that what they are doing is going to,work I want them to take his eye out because he could get another one and we will end up in this position again
    Last edited by Onebrokelady; 30-04-2018 at 9:31 PM.
    Just keep swimming
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 30th Apr 18, 11:39 PM
    • 415 Posts
    • 1,109 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    I seem to have lost a bit of momentum over the last couple of weeks,I didn't post for a week mainly because I have been busy running round with the cat and working etc etc etc but also because my mood has taken a nosedive and I just wanted to stay under my duvet all day......I hate feeling like this...I become paralysed with indecision and can only function enough to do the bare minimum and go to work
    Lots has happened in the last week that I will write about but I'm off to bed shortly because I'm shattered, I don't have DGS tomorrow because they have gone away for the week so I can have a lie in and apart from taking the cat to the vet I don't have to go anywhere so will be doing houses things for most of the day

I also became aware today that I'm in danger of spending money on things I don't need,I saw a jacket the other day and went to try it n this morning intending to buy it but luckily i didn't like it once i tried it on so walked away,I would have bought it though if it had looked nice and while I could do with a jacket to wear I don't desperately need one as I have a light weight coat that is still perfectly fine,it's getting a bit old but summer is coming and I won't need a jacket over the summer hopefully
    Last week I also bought some new converse type shoes from New Look,now I did need these because I only have boots at the moment so I justified buying them and at £17.99 I thought they were a bargain,anyway I wore them on Saturday and noticed they were starting to split down the sides so I took them back today and got a refund,I then went to Primark and got a pair that look exactly like Converse shoes but they were only £6 so I'm glad I took those other ones back
    I think my lack of focus has come about because of my mood and the fact that I didn't post on my diary for a week,I'm stressed out about the cat so went into my shop to cheer myself up mode,well I've noticed it now and it's not happening,It was pay day on Friday and I got paid a nice healthy amount ( which is another reason I was going to spend,I got extra money so why not was my reasoning, well you are on a budget is the reason so there) so tomorrow I'm going to do my budget for the month so I know exactly where I am financially before I completely blow it
    Last edited by Onebrokelady; 01-05-2018 at 11:25 AM.
    Just keep swimming
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 1st May 18, 11:54 AM
    • 415 Posts
    • 1,109 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Right I've done my banking and I am super pleased to report that I have enough money to put some saving away this month after all and all the bills are paid,Stepchange have taken their payment so I've been able to update my signature and I'm now in the 16,000s bracket,this has put a big smile on my face this morning and I'm excited to see it's gone down,the state of play now is
    £100 to emergency fund so that's now back up to £400
    £50 to Xmas fund so that's now £200
    Debt down from £17,630 to £16,994
    I've done this this month because I was owed money from work and I worked two bank holidays and a Saturday and Sunday last month,it meant last month was really tight because they took a double payment for my bus pass but it was a valuable lesson because I found out I can survive quite easily on my basic wage if I have to at any point,I didn't go riding all month because I couldn't afford it but it coincided with my low mood so I didn't have the motivation to go anyway,I've budgeted for it this month so hopefully I will go back if I can regain my mojo
    I also still have the money I get from DD2s boyfriend which we can use to pay for the cat, my lovely mum has given us the money to pay the ophalmolgist today and my DD is going to pay her back as soon as she can,my mum has said she doesn't want paying back but my DD won't accept the money so she will get it back one way or another.
    I also have £65 left in the bank after everything is paid so Ive got that for anything I haven't accounted for,I put the savings away this month thinking
    that if I need it for the cat I can just draw it out the savings,rather than leave
    it in my current account where it would be likely to get frittered away,I feel I'm a much better place now this morning just from checking my bank account
    The lesson has been learned,stay focused and keep your eye on the ball,use your diary and keep plugging away

In other news today is the day the cat has to go to see the ophalmplogist and I'm hoping for good news,I can't tell by looking at his eye if it's improved or not,sometimes it looks like it has but then other times it looks like it hasn't,he is so fed up of wearing a cone on his head and I feel so sorry for him because he keeps bumping into things and can't wash properly,he is a very fastidious cat so it must be driving him mad not being able to wash,I left the cone off for 5 minutes this morning so he could wash himself and he looked like he was in ecstasy licking away,he is currently snuggled up on the back of the settee by the radiator because despite it being May the 1st it's bloomin cold here today so I have the heating on,Ive also rebelliously pegged some washing out even though it was spitting with rain,the sun is shining too and it's windy so hopefully it will dry anyway
    I'm doing house things today so when I get back from the vets I'm sorting out my bedroom,I have lots of wool I don't want so I'm taking it to the charity shop at work in the morning,I'm fed up of having bags of wool everywhere that I'm not going to use so it's going tomorrow
    Last edited by Onebrokelady; 01-05-2018 at 11:57 AM.
    Just keep swimming
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 1st May 18, 8:36 PM
    • 415 Posts
    • 1,109 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    The cats appointment went much better than I thought it would,the opthalmologist said his eye has a sequestrum on it which is basically dead tissue on the cornea and the cloudy area we can see is the eye trying to heal itself,she said she wants to scale back the intensive treatment we have been told to do,so now we only have to do eyedrops twice a day and no mor invasive procedures by the vets,we don't have to take him back for a month now and she wants to let nature do the healing along with the anti biotics we are currently using
    I'm a bit annoyed with the vets because they have been making us go weekly and each time we go they scrape all the stuff off the surface of his eye because they say it needs to come off to heal,this is the opposite of what should have been happening,they should have left well alone,so we have basically wasted £800 on treatments that were wrong,she explained the condition as being like a scab on a wound,it heals from the inside out and if you keep picking the scab it takes longer to heal so each week it has healed a bit they then picked it off,when we go back in a month I have made the appointment with her not the vets because I want her to assess the healing that's gone on this month,It cost £192 but I think it's worth it if the problem is solved,I have £108 left to add to the bill next month so we only have to put another £100 towards it,hopefully that will sort it out,she said it can take month to heal but I feel a lot more confident now,we have been keeping him in but she says we can let him out if we want,he likes to fight though so I'm not sure yet what to do,being indoors is driving him mad though and he doesn't have to wear his collar all the time now just if he is likely to scratch it which is usually after applying the eye drops,he looks so happy tonight and so am I
    Just keep swimming
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 4th May 18, 9:16 PM
    • 415 Posts
    • 1,109 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Phew another busy few days, I've been at work which has been manic but I'm glad to say I have two days off now,it's well timed because I have hurt my neck today and I can't move my head very well,I'm still gently tryi g to love it from side to side and up and down so it doesn't seize up but it painful,I have a heatpad on it at the moment to see if that will help
    The cat is looking good today and he seems happier in himself now apart from I haven't let him out yet,I really want to because he is driving me mad meowing at the door but I'm too scared he will get into a fight with the neighbours cat,I might give him another week indoors and then let him out1,he managed to get out last night and I had to chase him round the garden in the dark in my slippers and pjs,I managed to catch him though
    Money wise everything is ok at the moment and is just ticking along,I had a letter from a company called Westcot to say they are now managing my NatWest account but no mention of whether they will default it or stop charges and interest,Im going to write to them again to ask them to stop any charges etc
    My diet has gone totally out the window over the last week,I think it's because I'm back on my antidepressants and I've now had to go back on the other ones I was taking for nerve pain because I have Trigeminal Neuralgia and it's flared up really badly,I have had a headache everyday since March the 29th so I went to my gp and she put me back on amytriptiline which I hate but if it works on this pain then I'm taking it,both my meds cause weight gain though simply because they make you feel hungry all the time so I'm going to have to keep and eye on my diet,I'm giving myself tomorrow to have a last big treat then it's back on plan from Sunday,I don't want to undo all my hard work,I've been walking a lot more recently too,I walked to work last Sunday instead of getting a taxi,it took me an hour but I felt so energetic when I got there so I think I'm going to try and keep that up if the weather is good and it saved me £10
    Just keep swimming
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 5th May 18, 2:42 AM
    • 1,860 Posts
    • 10,090 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    You are making great progress - money and exercise both going in the right direction! And I'm so pleased the cat seems to be on the mend. Nice of your Mum to help out there.

Good to see your debt down under £17,000 - well done! Just take care of yourself especially as you've got health issues. Walking to work is impressive... I walk to work but it takes less than five minutes which is why I'm impressed with your much more substantial walk. All those £10s will soon mount up and hopefully you'll get a break from the weight-increasing meds too.

I shouldn't try to post in the middle of the night: I can't string ideas together properly! I hope you get the gist. Meanwhile I'm off back to bed and sleep.
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 5th May 18, 12:39 PM
    • 415 Posts
    • 1,109 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    You are making great progress - money and exercise both going in the right direction! And I'm so pleased the cat seems to be on the mend. Nice of your Mum to help out there.

Good to see your debt down under £17,000 - well done! Just take care of yourself especially as you've got health issues. Walking to work is impressive... I walk to work but it takes less than five minutes which is why I'm impressed with your much more substantial walk. All those £10s will soon mount up and hopefully you'll get a break from the weight-increasing meds too.

I shouldn't try to post in the middle of the night: I can't string ideas together properly! I hope you get the gist. Meanwhile I'm off back to bed and sleep.
    Thanks Cherry,I totally get the gist of what you are saying,I post sometimes at odd hours when I can't sleep and I always read it back and think"that makes no sense whatosever "
    My mum is so good to me,if I had known she was going to give me some money I wouldn't have told her about the cat at all because she won't take no for an answer,we have hatched a plan to pay her back though so I feel better now
    The cats eye is looking good to me,the vet we saw showed my what to look for and I can see that it's improving so hopefully he is finally on the mend,it's so sad because he is a really cuddly cat and loves snuggling up with me and DD2 but now when weary to pick him up he runs off because he thinks we are going to do his eye drops hopefully he will forget about it now we only have to fothem twice a day

I'm being careful with my walking as I do have a tendency to overdo it,however if i get the balance right it helps with the Fibromyalgia symptoms so it's a good way of keeping that in check,I only do it I feel the weather is good too because there is nothing worse than arriving at work soaking wet
    Just keep swimming
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 5th May 18, 12:56 PM
    • 415 Posts
    • 1,109 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Wow what a lovely day I have woken up to today,it's boosted my energy levels a bit that's for sure
    Today started off with a walk into town because I lost my yearly bus pass on Thursday and had to go and pick it up this morning from the lost property office,it was weird because I got home from town on Thursday to a text from DD1 asking me if i had lost my bus pass,she is actually away on holiday at the moment so I was wondering how she would know if I had but apparently one of her friends was on the bus and saw my pass after I had got off the bus so she handed it to the driver and then text DD1 to ask me if I had lost it,what are the chances of that happening......it was weird and so very lucky she was there because my pass is worth about £500 and it's not got any Id on it so anyone can use it,someone could have got a years travel free,Im paranoid I'm going to drop it now though and keep checking my bag to make sure it's in there
    I also multi tasked and took the dog with me so she has had a lovely long walk,we had to go on a bit of a detour though because I live on the other side of the river to the city and my main route into the city is closed now every weekend in May while they do flood relief works on the bridge,I didn't know this so walked down there and was stuck so I had to go back along the river right out of my way to get into town along the next bridge over,mind you I took a detour up a road I've never been up before and it took me directly to the town center and was quite nice to walk along,I love discovering new bits to the city I live in,it's like being on holiday
    I've got a list of jobs to do today so I had better crack on with those in a minute,I might even get the grass cut which would be nice,I've been brave and let the cat out today seeing as I am home all day and likely to outside for some of it, the chickens are sunbathing in the garden and I have the place to myself because DD2 and her BF have gone walking today and are camping overnight so won't be back until tomorrow afternoon so happy days here today
    Just keep swimming
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 5th May 18, 11:00 PM
    • 415 Posts
    • 1,109 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    A very productive afternoon here today,I got the grass cut and tidied up the front garden, then I went down to the chip shop for chips for my tea,I,also went to the shop and bought a humumgous bar of fruit and nut chocolate,it's my last big treat before knuckling down on my diet tomorrow and I worked hard today so burnt off a few calories,after tea I went out and swept up the back garden because the chickens dig about and make a mess,I also hoovered the house and did another load of washing,I didn't come back in the house until it was dark so I've spent most of the day outside today,it's my favourite place to be when the weather is good,tomorrow I am having a relaxing day and I'm going to do some sewing,I'm hoping to get quite a bit done because I need to finsish it by June the 8th,Im so glad I got the garden done it looks lovely out there now
    My neck is a lot better today,I think the heatpad helped plus doing some gentle stretches as well,it only hurts now if I look up or shake my head so just have to be careful not to move it too vigorously
    Hopefully tomorrow will be another lovely sunny day and I can relax in my tidy garden with my sewing
    Just keep swimming
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 8th May 18, 11:12 PM
    • 415 Posts
    • 1,109 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Just popping in for a quick update,it was my day to have DGS today so I've been busy,I overslept too so that put me on the back foot all day,my plans for the day were to visit my friend who lost her dad two weeks ago,we had a good chinwag and I think DGS cheered her up
    Next was my SW meeting I finally made it back and I'm glad to say I am still at my target weight because I have lost 1/2 a pound this week,I don't know how though and I ate a Snickers barn on the way to the meeting
    I did some food shopping today and I downbranded my curry sauce,I normally buy Pataks but I bought Sainsbury's own brand instead and I'm glad to say it tasted lovely,I can't remember how much it was but definitely cheaper than my normal sauce
    There were no early buses yesterday because it was a bank holiday so I walked to work and saved myself the £10 taxi fair,I have so much more energy when I walk to work rather than getting the bus,if its not raining in the morning I'm thinking of walking tomorrow too
    I've just finished reading a library book that my daughter borrowed so have to remember to take that back and I've just bought a book from Amazon for the Kindle app on my iPad it was 99p so a bargain,it's a young adult book called The Vampires Witch and I think it's like the Twilight series,I fancied an easy read so thought I would give it a go,I also bought a book last month that was a monthly Kindle deal for 99p it was called The Toymaker and I had wanted to read it for ages ,it's a really good read and I thoroughly enjoyed it,I would definitely recommend it
    Right I think that's all my news for now and I have work in the morning so must go to bed
    Last edited by Onebrokelady; 08-05-2018 at 11:15 PM.
    Just keep swimming
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 9th May 18, 11:06 PM
    • 415 Posts
    • 1,109 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Hmmmm I could be headed for trouble,I had a day off a week ago because I had D&V and we aren't allowed to work for 48hours if we have been vomiting,I am still on formal sickness monitoring from February when I had a chest infection,so this has made me trigger again, my sickness record is quite bad because I have Fibromyalgia and I was very ill so had lots of time off until I got it under control,however now if I'm off for anything else I automatically trigger the sickness policy and have to go on monitoring again
    So my matron spoke to me today and said she is seeking advice from HR about my situation because I have been off again, they want me to cut my hours and have been trying to get me to do do this for about the last four years,but I have made it clear to them that I can't afford to lose the money , my matron is now saying they are going to go down the route of me cutting my hours as I'm not managing my job,I'm so annoyed by this because I haven't been off sick because of the Fibromyalgia for months,it's just bad timing and bad luck that I have had other non related illness in that time,it's nothing to do with my ability to manage my job,I caught a cold from someone and ended up with a chest infection and I picked up a stomach bug ,it could happen to anyone and they wouldn't ask them to cut their hours, I've been thinking about this today and I think they think I'm lying and was actually off with a Fibromyalgia flare up but I'm telling them it's something else because I don't want to them to say I can't do my job,this is not the case at all but I can't prove it
    If they make me cut my hours I will be even more broke than I am now and I have all this debt to pay off,my boss said that money isn't everything and I need to think of my health first,but I told him that it's not a case of just wanting the money for treats it's needing the money to keep a roof over my head and buy food and pay the bills,do they really think I would work these hours if I could do less given the emount of pain I am in most of the time,I would gladly cut my hours if I could afford it.......it's so frustrating
    Just keep swimming
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 10th May 18, 12:01 AM
    • 1,860 Posts
    • 10,090 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Triggers do seem to play havoc with the innocent. If you're in a union they may be able to advise, or could someone write a letter to confirm that you had D&V not Fibromyalgia?

If you did get a reduction in hours, could you go on Bank or work relief hours elsewhere?
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 10th May 18, 10:01 PM
    • 415 Posts
    • 1,109 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Triggers do seem to play havoc with the innocent. If you're in a union they may be able to advise, or could someone write a letter to confirm that you had D&V not Fibromyalgia?

If you did get a reduction in hours, could you go on Bank or work relief hours elsewhere?
    I am in the RCN so will be contacting them, I didn't see anyone while I was I'll so can't prove that's what it was and because my hours would be being reduced for health reasons I wouldn't be able to do extra elsewhere,they moaned at me because I used to help in my sisters gallery one morning a week,I was sitting on a chair making sure no one stole anything
    I don't know when the meeting is yet but I'm going to write down my concerns and I'm going to tell them I feel like I'm being discriminated against because I have a chronic illness,it means I literally can't be off ill with anything else which is totally unrealistic,I'm also going to suggest that if they want me to cut my hours I can only do it if they let me work permanent sundays because then I would get unsocial hours and could afford to lose some hours,they have to work with me to come up with a solution and I'm offering them one,my boss won't let me do it though so I doubt they will say yes, I will just have to wait and see
    Just keep swimming
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 10th May 18, 10:40 PM
    • 1,860 Posts
    • 10,090 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I'm sure the RCN will have had other people in a similar situation so hopefully their expertise should come in useful.

Good idea to offer a solution even if it's not one they're likely to go for. Someone I know has gone down a grade by choice but their new contract will be substantially unsocial hours which will make up a lot of the deficit.
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 11th May 18, 11:38 PM
    • 415 Posts
    • 1,109 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    I'm sure the RCN will have had other people in a similar situation so hopefully their expertise should come in useful.

Good idea to offer a solution even if it's not one they're likely to go for. Someone I know has gone down a grade by choice but their new contract will be substantially unsocial hours which will make up a lot of the deficit.
    Yes the RCN are usually quite good when it comes to things like this,I've done a lot of research today and my first also have a discrimination and equality division you can contact for advice,I also looked up the disability act and I should be covered under that ,it does state that employers have to make reasonable adjustments for you to carry on with your job and so far they have done this so I'm not sure how much more they can do,I can only ask and hope they agree
    I looked at the pay rise we are supposed to be getting but it actually only amounts to around £50 a month for me so it's not enough for me to reduce my hours because if I do I will lose about £140 a month
    Just keep swimming
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

152Posts Today

1,608Users online

Martin's Twitter