Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 31st Jan 18, 12:15 AM
    • 341Posts
    • 933Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    My journey to a debt free life
    • 31st Jan 18, 12:15 AM
    My journey to a debt free life 31st Jan 18 at 12:15 AM
    Well Iíve been reading everyoneís diaryís and thought itís such a good idea I would start one myself,Iím hoping to use it as a way to record my journey to freedom from debt and also to have somewhere to come and just offload stuff
    My financial meltdown happened two weeks ago when I realised I just canít afford to pay my debts off properly,Iím sinking under the strain and jut adding more and more onto the total because itís just not sustainable. I came here and was given some brilliant advice then I went away and procrastinated for a week while pooping myself some more about what I am about to do I finally got my !!!! in gear this week and started the ball rollin by registering on the SC site and partially filling out the budget form,I then came unstuck because some of the info wasnít to hand,Iíve now sorted that and can proceed with finishing the budget form which I am doing tomorrow,by the end of this week I want to have contacted SC and set the ball rolling to set up a DMP.
    I then had problems with my online account for one of my creditors but I sorted that out this morning whilst also finding out exactly what I owe them,it was actually not as much as I thought but still too much so swings and roundabouts !!!128522; actually sorting that out today took me ten minutes but itís taken me days to do it,I just get overwhelmed and put stuff off then before I know it another week has gone by and nothing has changed. Still Iíve done what I set out to do today and tomorrow is budget form day then I will see where I go from there
    In other news I changed my phone provider on Saturday so now have a sim only deal for £9 a month instead of £20.02 plus I cancelled the insurance at £6 a month,Iíve also paid for the phone now too so there is a small saving,two weeks ago my phone contract was costing me £35 so Iím quite pleased with this new deal.
    Ok I think thatís enough waffling for one day and I need to try and get some sleep,letís see what tomorrow brings
Page 15
    • ploppy57
    • By ploppy57 11th Apr 18, 4:30 PM
    • 717 Posts
    • 4,625 Thanks
    ploppy57
    You seem to be on a roll,OB Lady,and definitely sound brighter. Well done. I'm sure all that decluttering decluttered your mind as well. Its surprising how the removal of old stuff lightens mind as well as body.
    Mr Dusty keeps shaking his head at me,he thinks I'm nuts because I cleared out my kitchen food cabinets and arranged the remainder neatly,a place for everything etc etc. Every time I open the cupboard I grin with pleasure and give a little nod to the little carton(it held pears at one time) which now corrals all those little odds and ends like oxo cubes,black and white pepper,saltcellar,and another which holds soy sauce,garlic sauce,vinegar No more rooting through the whole cupboard searching for something,and cleaning is easy,just lift out the whole carton and wipe. My kids just roll their eyes at weird mam,but it makes me happy!
    Originally posted by dustydigger

I have a little plastic tub in the cupboard for Oxo cubes, and bits like that. Its a great idea. I also have one for crisps, 'cause I was sick of OH opening a multipack to take out 1 packet and then throwing the rest randomly in the cupboard. So now they are all stacked neatly one behind the other...
    DMP March '15 £57,549. Now £44,430. almost 23% paid. Went SM Feb '18 to get DF sooner.
    Emergency fund #231... Building up slowly.
    Christmas '18 challenge... £22 /£300
    "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, Shining at the end of every day"
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 11th Apr 18, 5:20 PM
    • 3,981 Posts
    • 20,471 Thanks
    foxgloves
    You sound like you are on a roll, Onebrokelady. De-cluttering really lifts my spirits & makes me feel purposeful. I cleared out my wardrobe too, yesterday & tried on all my summer gear & I really enjoyed it. I even found a small unworn item with regifting potential. It's a sparkly item which I think I will give to an elderly relative......she's 85, but she does still go out a lot. Who'd have thought there'd have been a free Christmas present for someone lurking in there?!
    Your veggie recipes...Homity Pie, etc, are they from the 'Crank's' cookbook? I bought a copy of that when it first came out & I still make several of the recipes from it, as they are mostly cheap & are really filling. I also still make a few things from Rose Elliot's old paperback, 'Cheap & easy: Vegetarian cooking on a budget'......not that I'm a veggie, but mr f was, when he first moved in with me, & I've always eaten lots of meat-free meals.
    Anyway, I just stopped by to say how positive you're sounding.
    F
    Last edited by foxgloves; 11-04-2018 at 5:25 PM.
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £621-10
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £304 2018 = £174
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 11th Apr 18, 8:29 PM
    • 341 Posts
    • 933 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Well done on MBNA, the bus pass, the bargainaceous shirts and the Internet savings! Hoping Natwest see sense and the cold soon disappears...

Hope you have a good night's rest and feel better for it.
    Originally posted by Cherryfudge
    Hi Cherry,I felt a ropey this morning but feel better this evening,I'm hoping it will clear off soon too
    Just keep swimming
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £502 Debt Now = £17,128
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 11th Apr 18, 8:37 PM
    • 341 Posts
    • 933 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    You seem to be on a roll,OB Lady,and definitely sound brighter. Well done. I'm sure all that decluttering decluttered your mind as well. Its surprising how the removal of old stuff lightens mind as well as body.
    Mr Dusty keeps shaking his head at me,he thinks I'm nuts because I cleared out my kitchen food cabinets and arranged the remainder neatly,a place for everything etc etc. Every time I open the cupboard I grin with pleasure and give a little nod to the little carton(it held pears at one time) which now corrals all those little odds and ends like oxo cubes,black and white pepper,saltcellar,and another which holds soy sauce,garlic sauce,vinegar No more rooting through the whole cupboard searching for something,and cleaning is easy,just lift out the whole carton and wipe. My kids just roll their eyes at weird mam,but it makes me happy!
    Originally posted by dustydigger
    Funny you should mention kitchen cupboards, I was eying mine up today,I like the sound of having a carton to put loose things in,Im going to have to investigate doing that
    When I was cleaning the house the other day I just kept thinking it would be so much easier to keep clean if I got rid of some bits I don't need ,I have bits on my kitchen shelves that are just ornamental and I am getting rid of them because they are just in the way,I want my kitchen to be functional and easy to keep clean,I get put off because I have to move all the bits so they are going,I've had a toast rack on my worktop for years that I bought as a joke for my daughter,no one uses it but it's sat there for years,today it's gone into the charity bag,every time I get rid of something I don't need I feel lighter and freer........it's great
    Just keep swimming
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 11th Apr 18, 8:40 PM
    • 341 Posts
    • 933 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    I have a little plastic tub in the cupboard for Oxo cubes, and bits like that. Its a great idea. I also have one for crisps, 'cause I was sick of OH opening a multipack to take out 1 packet and then throwing the rest randomly in the cupboard. So now they are all stacked neatly one behind the other...
    Originally posted by ploppy57
    I do have a tub especially for Oxo cubes that I got from the comapany years ago,it was one of those offers where you she dog the box with a receipt of seomthing and you got an" free" storage box,I've had since the early 80s
    Just keep swimming
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 11th Apr 18, 8:51 PM
    • 341 Posts
    • 933 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    You sound like you are on a roll, Onebrokelady. De-cluttering really lifts my spirits & makes me feel purposeful. I cleared out my wardrobe too, yesterday & tried on all my summer gear & I really enjoyed it. I even found a small unworn item with regifting potential. It's a sparkly item which I think I will give to an elderly relative......she's 85, but she does still go out a lot. Who'd have thought there'd have been a free Christmas present for someone lurking in there?!
    Your veggie recipes...Homity Pie, etc, are they from the 'Crank's' cookbook? I bought a copy of that when it first came out & I still make several of the recipes from it, as they are mostly cheap & are really filling. I also still make a few things from Rose Elliot's old paperback, 'Cheap & easy: Vegetarian cooking on a budget'......not that I'm a veggie, but mr f was, when he first moved in with me, & I've always eaten lots of meat-free meals.
    Anyway, I just stopped by to say how positive you're sounding.
    F
    Originally posted by foxgloves
    Hi Foxgloves, well done on decluttering your wardrobe and finding a free pressy,Im definitely on a roll with the clearing out of stuff ,I'm planning to take something to the charity shop every time I go out,I'm going pet food shopping tomorrow so I'm taking more with me on the way,my house will be empty at this rate
    The Leek recipe and the Homity pie recipe are indeed from the Cranks book,I don't own it any more because I got rid of it when I decluttered the cupboard it was in ,I onlyused a few recipes from the book so I copied out the ones I like into my recipe folder and gave the book away,the Gnocchi recipe is from a book called The Busy Mums veggetarian Cookbook,it's quite a good one but it's my daughters so I will have to copy the recipes out from that one when she eventually moves out
    I've been a veggi since 2011 when I rehomed some exbatt chickens, it broke my heart when I saw the state they were in after they come out the farm so I looked into farming and I haven't eaten meat since,I have been tempted a few times especially since DDs boyfriend moved in because he eats meat and I miss it,but I just can't bring myself to eat it now
    Just keep swimming
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 11th Apr 18, 9:18 PM
    • 341 Posts
    • 933 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Got up bright and early this morning to take the cat to the vet,he has an ulcer on his cornea and has been having treatment for it for the last 4ish weeks,it's stil not healed though so he has to have more treatment and go back again next week,luckily it's my DDs cat and she has insurance so I'm not paying for it because the bill stand at £450 at the moment,we are hoping next week will show some improvement because if it doesn't get better he could lose his eye
    I love having pets and can't really imagine my world without but today I've been thinking that when the pets I have now are now longer with me I might not have any more,I've always had rescue dogs and was planning on buying my first puppy when I retire because I will be at home to train it and look after it properly but I'm wondering now if that's just not a good idea,I also have the chickens at the moment and they can be quite hard work in the winter,I love having them and getting the eggs knowing they have come from happy hens but as I get older I'm not sure I will be able to keep them, I definitely won't get another cat,my daughter talked me into rehoming the cat as a kitten and I love him dearly but I don't like the fact that he can go anywhere he pleases and frequently walks across my worktops after being god knows where,so definitely no more !!!!! cats for me,I just need to think carefully about the dog,I only got the dog I have now because a colleague split with his wife and had to give her away so I took her in because I'm too soft,I don't regret having her as she is such a lovely little dog and I wouldn't be without her now,she gives me a reason to go out for walks especially on days when I feel too down or in pain to do anything, I know I have to because she needs me but I'm not sure that's fair on the dog,I don't know how I'm going to be as I get older so I guess I will just have to wait and see......god this post does not sound very positive,I'm feeling really positive at the moment but the trip to the vet got me thinking this morning

In other really exciting news I have today booked to go riding Clydesdales up on Dartmoor,I came across Adventure Clydesdale last year and since then have been dreaming about going,so when my daughters asked me for ideas for my birthday in June I asked them for a two hour ride,I want experiences rather than things and this is perfect,I love the breed and the thought of getting to ride one is so exciting I can't stop smiling,so we phoned today and I am booked to go on July the 7th,I wanted to go last year but I wasn't sure if I was experienced enough,I've been back riding for 3 years this month and have graduated to a 16hh horse who is quite lively and can be a bit unpredictable when out on the roads or if he comes across something that he thinks might possibly kill him such as a squirrel I have managed him spooking twice now and stayed on and I have also discovered I have a need for speed and love a good flat out gallop,so I think I'm ready.........still can't stop smiling
    Last edited by Onebrokelady; 11-04-2018 at 9:21 PM.
    Just keep swimming
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 11th Apr 18, 11:11 PM
    • 1,622 Posts
    • 8,591 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    What a fantastic present! And hopefully not too many killer squirrels on Dartmoor...

I think I'm going to pinch the idea of small boxes for odds and ends in the kitchen as the overflow of spice jars keep throwing themselves out of the cupboard at me.
    MFW #30 Paid off £1270/£3770 as of April 2018
    • moneyonmymindsam
    • By moneyonmymindsam 11th Apr 18, 11:30 PM
    • 1,403 Posts
    • 4,252 Thanks
    moneyonmymindsam
    What a fantastic present! And hopefully not too many killer squirrels on Dartmoor...

I think I'm going to pinch the idea of small boxes for odds and ends in the kitchen as the overflow of spice jars keep throwing themselves out of the cupboard at me.
    me too its a good idea
    Emergency Fund Challenge
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 12th Apr 18, 12:49 PM
    • 341 Posts
    • 933 Thanks
    Onebrokelady

I know it's great isn't it,Im so excited I made going to completely wish the summer away
    Its so funny seein a massive horse standing still snorting and prancing about because there is a tiny squirrel on the fence,you would think it was a large bear or something
    I love the idea of the boxes for storage,I have so many things that fall out the cupboards when I open the door
    Just keep swimming
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 12th Apr 18, 4:36 PM
    • 341 Posts
    • 933 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Another productive day today, two loads of washing out drying on the line because it's a gorgeous sunny day here,I've dusted and hoovered downstairs so that's looking lovely and tidy for five minutes
    I've also been to the charity shop with some more stuff from the kitchen and spare room,I think if I keep pluggging away at it and take a little bit each time I go out I won't find it so overwhelming,the only problem I'm having is knowing when to stop as I keep seeing things around the house that I want to get rid of like I said before it's a beautiful day here today so my walk to the shop to get chicken food was quite pleasant,I get the bus half way because it's quite a treck from my house I also popped in and got dog food and then went to Aldi for some bits,I don't normally shop in Aldi because it's out of my way but I have to make more effort because the fruit and veg is just ridiculously cheap,I bumped into my mum and dad while I was out so we went for a coffee and chin wag and they gave me a lift home which was lovely because the chicken food is quite heavy,I carry it in a rucksack but it's still heavy to lug round,I buy my dog food at The Range as it's the cheapest place here and I'm proud to say I didn't have a look round I went straight in picked it up and left,I always browse in there and end up spending money on things I don't need but not today my friend

As I was walk g to the shops I got to thinking about how calm I feel at the moment,I really noticed it today,before my LBM I was walking round in a constant state of panic and just felt awful all the time,I know that some of the calmness I feel is down to being back on my meds but that's only a small part of it,I used to feel unhappy so I would spend then I would feel panicky because I had spent money I didn't have, this would be followed by guilt and a feeling of being really stupid, I would then vow not to do it again but would always end up spending more,since the LBM moment I have not spent anything on things I don't need and when I have had the urge to spend I've walked away to think about it and then changed my mind,I don't feel that same persistent urge to spend money anymore,I'm liking saving my pennies and seeing money in my bank and I like the feeling it gives me knowing that I have paid for two birthdays and Mother's Day and not used a CC or gone into debt for any of them,it's my DD1s birthday in June and I already have the money put by for that too......it's brilliant
    Just keep swimming
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 12th Apr 18, 10:04 PM
    • 414 Posts
    • 1,404 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    So pleased to read how much better you feel. I am also immensely jealous of the riding experience, what a lovely present. I am planning another trip to Scotland in the summer and hope me and the girl can do another beach gallop.
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 12th Apr 18, 10:30 PM
    • 341 Posts
    • 933 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    So pleased to read how much better you feel. I am also immensely jealous of the riding experience, what a lovely present. I am planning another trip to Scotland in the summer and hope me and the girl can do another beach gallop.
    Originally posted by Drawingaline
    Thanks I'm really looking forward to it,beach rides are so much fun
    Just keep swimming
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 13th Apr 18, 7:17 PM
    • 341 Posts
    • 933 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Today has been a slow day,I,woke up this morning feeling tired and I'm still tired now,,I did manage to do a load of washing and hang it out to dry but that's all the house stuff I've done today
    DD2 told me about the Libby app today where you can downmload books from your local library so I've downloaded that to my iPad as I read a lot and it's free,I had to go and get a PIN number from the library though so popped into town, DD1and 2 came with me as they needed some bits of shopping and we went for a coffee in the library cafe,we were talking about money etc and DD1 told me she has £3000 on her credit card,I was gobsmacked because she has gone on and on at me about not overusing my credit card and how irresponsible it is and now she is doing the same,I haven't told her about my current situation because she would go mad at me but apparently it's ok for her to do it,she also lives in her OD too so is on a slippery slope,of course it's up to her how she spends her money but she needs to stop being so judgemental of other people when she is in debt too

I came home to log into the Libby app and it won't let me because I owe late fees on my books that total £5.75 so I have to go back in tomorrow to pay that before I can use it,it's annoying because I was in the library today and could have paid it but didn't realise

I have done my banking today and I have money left after all the bills have come out so i was able to transfer £50 into the Xmas savings account,I now have £150 saved up for Xmas and it's only April,I'm so pleased with this as Xmas usually goes on my credit card,this year is going to be budgeted for and im sticking to my budget too,if I carry on like this I will have £500 saved by November, what I'm having trouble getting my head around is why didn't I do this before,I am finding it so easy to save the money so why not do it before instead of running up credit I can't afford

I haven't put any money into the emergency fund this month mainly because my wages were messed up so I was short,I will get all that back next month though so I'm hoping to put more away next month,it currently stands at £300 and I'm happy with that considering I didn't have any emergency money when I started this journey,I'm using the money DD2s boyfriend gives me for rent to go into the emergency fund so by the time he leaves in September I should have £900 in that account, after he leaves I will not have as much money to save but I'm going to save every spare penny I can to make sure I have a good cushion if I need it,Im also going to put any bonus money in too,so if my mum gives me any treat money it's getting saved,also we have two months after Xmas with no council tax payments so that will go in,just adding that to the £900 will take me up to £1,210 so it's a good incentive to do it,I've never had this amount of money saved up
    Last night I did some of my sewing but made a mistake and had to unpick an hours worth of work,I managed to redo it but it was annoying,I'm planning on doing some more this evening as I need to get it finished

Tomorrow I'm meeting my mum for lunch and going back to the library to pay my fine,then on Sunday it's back to work for me

DD2 also downloaded an app onto my phone today from pizza express and you can get a free pizza,we are going into town on Monday because she needs some bits for her placement so I suggested we go and get free pizza for lunch instead of going to Costa like I normally would,we might buy a dessert though seeing as the main is free
    Just keep swimming
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 13th Apr 18, 11:54 PM
    • 1,622 Posts
    • 8,591 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I love the progress you're making - I can almost see the savings pot as it will look after next February's pay day, already!

How annoying to have to unpick all that work. My friend took back a lot of rows on a jumper for me because she said it would be less stressful than me doing it for myself! One day I may be able to work out where I went wrong on a cross stitch that's ended up one stitch out of true and remained that way nearly 30 years. I have a feeling, though, that I will have to reinvent it slightly and adapt somewhere because I've searched and searched and can't find my mistake.

Enjoy your Saturday off!
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 14th Apr 18, 9:30 PM
    • 341 Posts
    • 933 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    I love the progress you're making - I can almost see the savings pot as it will look after next February's pay day, already!

How annoying to have to unpick all that work. My friend took back a lot of rows on a jumper for me because she said it would be less stressful than me doing it for myself! One day I may be able to work out where I went wrong on a cross stitch that's ended up one stitch out of true and remained that way nearly 30 years. I have a feeling, though, that I will have to reinvent it slightly and adapt somewhere because I've searched and searched and can't find my mistake.

Enjoy your Saturday off!
    I hate making a mistake and not being able to figure it out,thankfully this was really obvious so I managed to sort it out
    Just keep swimming
    • moneyonmymindsam
    • By moneyonmymindsam 15th Apr 18, 8:01 PM
    • 1,403 Posts
    • 4,252 Thanks
    moneyonmymindsam
    wow get you and its only April

Well done on the EF and savings - I am very impressed

Sam x
    Emergency Fund Challenge
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 17th Apr 18, 9:04 AM
    • 341 Posts
    • 933 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    wow get you and its only April

Well done on the EF and savings - I am very impressed

Sam x
    Originally posted by moneyonmymindsam
    Thanks ,I'm hoping nothing major happens now so I don't have to use it
    Just keep swimming
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 17th Apr 18, 9:22 AM
    • 341 Posts
    • 933 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    I have had a busy couple of days here,work on Sunday was busy and the time just flew by
    Ihad yesterday off and me and DD2 went into to town because she still needs some bits for her placement and we had an offer for a free pizza at Pizza Express so we went for our lunch there ,it was lovely but we were naughty and had a pudding as well, seeing as the pizza was free we thought we would treat ourselves so I had some yummy tiramisu
    Today is my day to look after DGS and we were supposed to be taking him out for the day to the Donkey Sanctuary because it's a nice day out and it's free to get in,but DD2 is still not feeling well with the cold we have all had and the weather isn't too great so we decided not to go today but we will go when she finishes her placement in June. DGS has gone for a nap so I'm having a sneaky cup of tea and a read of the forum,we might go for a walk along the river later to the quay where there are lots of little gift shops to browse in,it depends how DD2 feels and on the weather cheering up

As I mentioned previously I downloaded the Libby app on my iPad and yesterday I started reading a book they was part of a thing they do called The big Read they make the book available for a short time so that everyone around the world can read it at once, this book was called Flat Broke With Two Goats and its about a family who ended up in debt because of the financial crash in the USA,their house is repossessed and they have to move to a run down cabin in the woods,it's about how they change their lives to live a more frugal life and it's really really good,I read 12 chapters yesterday between 6 and midnight I just couldn't put it down,any way I logged in to carry on reading it and it's gone,the big read ended yesterday and now the book isn't a available unless you reserve it,so I can't finish it now,I tired to reserve it but I have to wait three days because it's only just been returned........I'm so annoyed that i forgot it ended yesterday because I wouldn't have started reading it in the first place,I'm going to have to place a hold on it so I can finish the book because I want to find out what happens next
    Just keep swimming
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 18th Apr 18, 12:34 AM
    • 1,622 Posts
    • 8,591 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    How very annoying! I struggle with my library app - it's not completely compatible with my Kindle so only certain books will download. The Kindle is five years old so I suppose it may not be the app's fault but I do buy quite a few books for it and I'd hoped to reduce spending by just borrowing.

Your borrowed book does sound like my sort of read! If I wait long enough it will probably turn up in the 99p downloads.

Hope all the colds are soon gone.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,794Posts Today

8,992Users online

Martin's Twitter