Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 31st Jan 18, 12:15 AM
    • 2,146Posts
    • 13,028Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    My journey to a debt free life
    • 31st Jan 18, 12:15 AM
    My journey to a debt free life 31st Jan 18 at 12:15 AM
    Well Iíve been reading everyoneís diaryís and thought itís such a good idea I would start one myself,Iím hoping to use it as a way to record my journey to freedom from debt and also to have somewhere to come and just offload stuff
    My financial meltdown happened two weeks ago when I realised I just canít afford to pay my debts off properly,Iím sinking under the strain and jut adding more and more onto the total because itís just not sustainable. I came here and was given some brilliant advice then I went away and procrastinated for a week while pooping myself some more about what I am about to do I finally got my !!!! in gear this week and started the ball rollin by registering on the SC site and partially filling out the budget form,I then came unstuck because some of the info wasnít to hand,Iíve now sorted that and can proceed with finishing the budget form which I am doing tomorrow,by the end of this week I want to have contacted SC and set the ball rolling to set up a DMP.
    I then had problems with my online account for one of my creditors but I sorted that out this morning whilst also finding out exactly what I owe them,it was actually not as much as I thought but still too much so swings and roundabouts 😊 actually sorting that out today took me ten minutes but itís taken me days to do it,I just get overwhelmed and put stuff off then before I know it another week has gone by and nothing has changed. Still Iíve done what I set out to do today and tomorrow is budget form day then I will see where I go from there
    In other news I changed my phone provider on Saturday so now have a sim only deal for £9 a month instead of £20.02 plus I cancelled the insurance at £6 a month,Iíve also paid for the phone now too so there is a small saving,two weeks ago my phone contract was costing me £35 so Iím quite pleased with this new deal.
    Ok I think thatís enough waffling for one day and I need to try and get some sleep,letís see what tomorrow brings
Page 110
    • Sunshine girl2
    • By Sunshine girl2 14th Jan 20, 8:53 PM
    • 494 Posts
    • 3,115 Thanks
    Sunshine girl2
    Your sewing sounds like a great project. Glad you got a day to yourself to catch up on sleep and ironing.

As you probably realise I look after my 2 grandchildren one day a week . Obviously it's only been one at a time as other started school as daughter finished maternity leave . I volunteered to work 5 days in 4 to have them , but I know that if it was too much for me my daughter would make other arrangements and she wouldn't berate me for it . My daughter and I aren't the closest but she always says thank you when I babysit extra for them. I think it's a hard one to comment on really but I would look after yourself first and foremost . You need to work to pay your bills so it's important that you aren't to tired.
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 14th Jan 20, 9:08 PM
    • 2,146 Posts
    • 13,028 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Your sewing sounds like a great project. Glad you got a day to yourself to catch up on sleep and ironing.

As you probably realise I look after my 2 grandchildren one day a week . Obviously it's only been one at a time as other started school as daughter finished maternity leave . I volunteered to work 5 days in 4 to have them , but I know that if it was too much for me my daughter would make other arrangements and she wouldn't berate me for it . My daughter and I aren't the closest but she always says thank you when I babysit extra for them. I think it's a hard one to comment on really but I would look after yourself first and foremost . You need to work to pay your bills so it's important that you aren't to tired.
    Originally posted by Sunshine girl2
    It's definitely a difficult situation, she knows I'm not always feeling great but just ignores it or brushes over the subject,I know it's really hard because she has to work but she is on maternity leave at the moment and still wanted me to have DGS all day on a Tuesday, in the end she said she would spend the day with me too but that means I end up running round after DGS and making her cups of tea all day and lunch as well
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £2,395Total Now Owed = £15,235
    Emergency Fund = £1000 Xmas savings = £0
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 14th Jan 20, 9:17 PM
    • 2,146 Posts
    • 13,028 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    So here is my typical week
    Sunday= work 12.5 hours plus one hour walk home
    Monday = day off work but housework and other jobs to be done
    Tuesday = Look after DGS from 8.30 am until 5.30 pm
    Wednesday = 8 hour shift at work plus 70 minutes total travel time
    Thursday= day off but doing housework looking after animals
    Friday = 12.5 hour shift at work, plus 70 minutes total travel time

All this despite only averaging 5 hours sleep a night and almost constant pain

All I get in response is "try looking after two children on your own" 😡
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £2,395Total Now Owed = £15,235
    • Sunshine girl2
    • By Sunshine girl2 14th Jan 20, 10:04 PM
    • 494 Posts
    • 3,115 Thanks
    Sunshine girl2
    I think you need to have a good think about what you want to do and set your stall out before your daughter goes back to work. Maybe you could come to a compromise on your terms. What would she do if you sold up and moved out of the area.? Plus it's not like you do an easy job and my DD was a nurse in the nhs and I remember how tired she was after 12.5 hours.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 14th Jan 20, 11:29 PM
    • 3,568 Posts
    • 23,039 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I'm another with a nurse in the family and the shifts are seriously heavy work.

Drawingaline has made a good point saying that if you couldn't care for the children, your daughter would have to find another way, but it's possible your daughter's assuming you always will be okay and she 'deserves' your help. A bit of what my sister-in-law calls a 'poor me'!

I can well understand that it's very important to you to keep contact with the grandchildren, I hope you can get a balance that enables you to have that contact without too heavy a toll on yourself.

My DS used to keep Roborovskies, by the way. They always reminded me of slightly oversized nutmegs! So cute.
    MFW #30 Overpaid by £4,100.58/£3000 in 2018
    Overpaid by £3,259.33/2,880.00 to 29/11/19
    Decluttered in 2019: 2,041/2,019 as of 21/10/19
    • Nicnak
    • By Nicnak 15th Jan 20, 7:58 PM
    • 2,747 Posts
    • 16,580 Thanks
    Nicnak
    Oh my.

I wouldn't even know how to approach that subject at all. You are doing way to much already and in constant pain. x
    September 6th 2017 - Updated December 2019
    Credit Card £0 now: £0 Consolidation £15,000 = £7,365 Total = £25,330 £7,365 71% gone EMF #252 = £1100/£1000
    Pay off all your debts by Christmas #071

Decluttering target 479/365 items
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 15th Jan 20, 8:40 PM
    • 11,337 Posts
    • 89,665 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    It's a very tricky subject but you know your DD best and you also know your own limits, so I'm sure you will make the right decision. If you health should change for the worse any time, then obviously that would mean a reassessment.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £2,450/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £50/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £144.37/£500
    PREMIUM BONDS ME = £300. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £250
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 15th Jan 20, 9:30 PM
    • 2,146 Posts
    • 13,028 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Thanks for your input everyone,I think I'm just going to play it by ear for now and see how it goes,I might have a little chat with her about how I sometimes find it a struggle so she will just have to accept that sometimes I can't do what she wants me to do,I won't see her now until Tuesday so I've got until then to think about it
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 15th Jan 20, 9:42 PM
    • 2,146 Posts
    • 13,028 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    I've just been awarded my 2 year anniversary badge I can't believe I've been here for two years already, what a difference joining this site has made to my life

I'm finally in control of my finances and have learned how to budget,I've become a saving ninja and I can say I'm actually becoming quite averse to spending my hard earned cash unless it's really really warranted

I'm still in debt but my debt is slowly going down and i have a solid plan to pay it off, I think back to the quivering wreck I was when I first started my DMP and I couldn't believe it would be so easy to sort it all out,I used to say I wish I had found this place sooner and I regret getting g into debt but that won't change anything now, so no more regrets and wishing about things I can't change,I'm just feeling grateful that this site and these forums exist and also Stepchange who have been amazing, without all this support I'm not sure what would have happened to me,but I know now that everything is going to be ok

Also feeling grateful to anyone who reads my diary or who has commented and offered me advice, thank you all who have ever commented, i really appreciate it xx
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 16th Jan 20, 10:41 AM
    • 2,146 Posts
    • 13,028 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Aaarrrggghhhh flaming weather, yesterday when I went to work it was a lovely sunny day all day, today on my day off it's chucking it down again,I wanted to clean out the chicken run and do some bits in the garden,but it's horizontal rain out there so that won't be getting done today

I still haven't taken the poor dog out yet,I tried to let her out in the garden, she poked her nose out of the door and then turned round and came back in ,she's now taken herself back to bed I think she has the right idea

I've got some indoor things to do today so will do that instead of the garden and maybe some reading and sewing
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 16th Jan 20, 4:39 PM
    • 11,337 Posts
    • 89,665 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    We had awful horizonatal rain too, I got soaked just crossing the playground . I don't blame the dog for not wanting to go out. At least you can get lots of indoor things done.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £2,450/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £50/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £144.37/£500
    PREMIUM BONDS ME = £300. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £250
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 16th Jan 20, 6:48 PM
    • 2,146 Posts
    • 13,028 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    We had awful horizonatal rain too, I got soaked just crossing the playground . I don't blame the dog for not wanting to go out. At least you can get lots of indoor things done.
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor

I did think of you earlier Hairy, wondering if our had the same weather as me,I was presuming it was wet playtime 😟 I got wet when I took the dog out then got another soaking when I went to feed the chickens and clean out their house, luckily the run has a roof so once I'm in there I stay dry,I will have to do the run another day though as it was far too wet today
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 16th Jan 20, 6:59 PM
    • 2,146 Posts
    • 13,028 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Well I made the most of my rainy day,I took the dog out and we both got soggy,I even had my brolly but the wind was creating horizontal rain so my lower legs still got wet, the poor cat took leave of his senses and went out as well ,he was soaked when he got back and complained loudly,I tried telling him it was his choice to go out there but he was having non of it 🤷!♀️

I went to top up the chicken food and water and clean out their house, they were not happy ladies at all because they quite clearly wanted to pootle round the garden and can't understand why I can't turn the rain off e had a bit of a heated conversation about the weather then I left them to grumble to themselves

I managed to get two loads of washing done and on the airers to dry,I also tidied the kitchen but apart from that I didn't have any other house stuff to do so I sat and did my sewing and I've managed to finish it,I just have to sew some material on the back,I'm really pleased with how it's turned out

DD 1 reminded me I'm supposed to be stitching a birth sampler for DGs2 so I think I will crack on with that next, she also mentioned that I did a Lord Of The Rings picture for DGS1 ( I actually thought my son in law had asked me to stitch it for her ) she would like a Star Wars themed one for DGS two because he has the same name as one of the characters, he's from the older films and it took me ages to find one but after falling down a rabbit hole on Pinterest I did find one I liked so that is a future project
    • Nicnak
    • By Nicnak 16th Jan 20, 8:38 PM
    • 2,747 Posts
    • 16,580 Thanks
    Nicnak
    Love your two year post. Like you said, no regrets as you can't change it, but the progress you have made. You give out so much good advice and tips, and I am very grateful that you have contributed and supported and helped me sort quite a few things out (Christmas budget) etc.

If you hadn't have had your difficulties, you wouldn't have been able to help so many other people, me being one!

Thank you for being on this site. xx
    Credit Card £0 now: £0 Consolidation £15,000 = £7,365 Total = £25,330 £7,365 71% gone EMF #252 = £1100/£1000

• Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 18th Jan 20, 11:38 AM
    • 2,146 Posts
    • 13,028 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Love your two year post. Like you said, no regrets as you can't change it, but the progress you have made. You give out so much good advice and tips, and I am very grateful that you have contributed and supported and helped me sort quite a few things out (Christmas budget) etc.

If you hadn't have had your difficulties, you wouldn't have been able to help so many other people, me being one!

Thank you for being on this site. xx
    Originally posted by Nicnak

Awwww thanks Nicnak, that's a lovely thing to say 😊
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 18th Jan 20, 11:47 AM
    • 2,146 Posts
    • 13,028 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Another day at work done yesterday and it was a nice day for me, luckily I was in clinics all day so not on the ward where there were three patients who needed sitting with, there was lots of drama which had all calmed down by the time I got back there in the evening

Today I have to go shopping but apart from that I'm not sure what I'm going to do with myself I don't have any plans at all yet

Sadly yesterday DD2s little hamster was put to sleep so we are going out to bury him in the garden today,we couldn't do it yesterday because it was dark when I got home

The sun is shining here today but it's frosty as well and there is a bank of fog over the river which means it's cold out there, I really should get out and do some bits in the garden so if I've got the energy when I get back from shopping I might make a start on that,I'm quite tired and achey at the moment so I will see how I feel, mind you sometimes doing something strenuous helps so it might be a good idea

I've sent off for the cotton for DGs2s sampler so as soon as that arrives I can start sewing that one,I'm determined to keep on top of my crafty projects this year

I think that's all my news so have a good day everyone
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 18th Jan 20, 1:09 PM
    • 2,146 Posts
    • 13,028 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Woo hooo ,change of plans I'm not going shopping now because DD2 doesn't want to go today and I was only going because she was,I'm on an early tomorrow so I can get my bits on the way home from work

I took the dog out for her walk and it's a lovely wintry day out there but when I got back the postman had been and my thread has arrived so I can make a start on the baby sampler today

I've also just let the chickens out in the garden so they are happy with life at the moment,I'm going to do their run today in case it's raining on my next day off but apart from that I'm sewing
    • Nicnak
    • By Nicnak 18th Jan 20, 2:22 PM
    • 2,747 Posts
    • 16,580 Thanks
    Nicnak
    Ha ha, great that you got a 'day off'.

You have a few projects ready in the mix to go. I have the rabbit in the garden at the minute too. He is running round enjoying it. It's nice to see him having fun out there. I keep getting glimpses of him running past the window.

Have a lovely day. x

• Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 19th Jan 20, 7:57 PM
    • 8,043 Posts
    • 60,665 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Aw sorry to hear about DD2s hamster, poor little mite

I think it's cheeky of your DD to expect you to have DGS for the day when she's on maternity leave. Maybe for an hour or two but not all day. She's lucky to have you to help out as a lot of young people nowadays don't have that option now we're all having to work for longer. You work long shifts and deserve some down time to yourself.
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2020 £43.31
    Emergency Fund £3465/£10,000
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 19th Jan 20, 8:28 PM
    • 5,716 Posts
    • 35,537 Thanks
    foxgloves
    I think it's cheeky too.
    Nice to hear about your stitching projects, OBL. I'm not much of a one for sewing, though I can sew if I have to. I'm a knitter really, although I've tried lots of different crafts in the past.
    Sad about the little hammy. That's the downside of little pets.... they don't share our lives for very long.
    Drier weather forecast for the coming week so your chickens might not be on wet playtime!
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £304 2018 = £418 2019 = £227
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,079Posts Today

6,636Users online

Martin's Twitter