Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 31st Jan 18, 12:15 AM
    • 371Posts
    • 1,006Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    My journey to a debt free life
    • 31st Jan 18, 12:15 AM
    My journey to a debt free life 31st Jan 18 at 12:15 AM
    Well Iíve been reading everyoneís diaryís and thought itís such a good idea I would start one myself,Iím hoping to use it as a way to record my journey to freedom from debt and also to have somewhere to come and just offload stuff
    My financial meltdown happened two weeks ago when I realised I just canít afford to pay my debts off properly,Iím sinking under the strain and jut adding more and more onto the total because itís just not sustainable. I came here and was given some brilliant advice then I went away and procrastinated for a week while pooping myself some more about what I am about to do I finally got my !!!! in gear this week and started the ball rollin by registering on the SC site and partially filling out the budget form,I then came unstuck because some of the info wasnít to hand,Iíve now sorted that and can proceed with finishing the budget form which I am doing tomorrow,by the end of this week I want to have contacted SC and set the ball rolling to set up a DMP.
    I then had problems with my online account for one of my creditors but I sorted that out this morning whilst also finding out exactly what I owe them,it was actually not as much as I thought but still too much so swings and roundabouts !!!128522; actually sorting that out today took me ten minutes but itís taken me days to do it,I just get overwhelmed and put stuff off then before I know it another week has gone by and nothing has changed. Still Iíve done what I set out to do today and tomorrow is budget form day then I will see where I go from there
    In other news I changed my phone provider on Saturday so now have a sim only deal for £9 a month instead of £20.02 plus I cancelled the insurance at £6 a month,Iíve also paid for the phone now too so there is a small saving,two weeks ago my phone contract was costing me £35 so Iím quite pleased with this new deal.
    Ok I think thatís enough waffling for one day and I need to try and get some sleep,letís see what tomorrow brings
Page 11
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 11th Mar 18, 4:14 PM
    • 371 Posts
    • 1,006 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Happy Motherís Day to all the mums out there,I hope you have all had a lovely day
    My DDS have spoilt me today,Iíve been treated to afternoon tea and they each bought me a book plus DD2 gave me some money to buy something to wear (I immediately wondered whether to put it in the savings) and a large bar of Bournville chocolate,I loooooove Bournville and havenít had any for a few years now,mind you Iím so stuffed from the tea I probably wonít be eating any today
    Iím just chilling out at home now in my PJs because itís horrible outside and it seemed like a good idea,DDs boyfriend has gone to watch the rugby,DD went up to lie on her bed and read a book but has fallen asleep so the house is nice and peaceful,I might even fall asleep myself at some point
    Just keep swimming
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £770.00 Total Now Owed = £16,860
    Emergency Fund = £400.00 Xmas savings = £250.00
    • moneyonmymindsam
    • By moneyonmymindsam 11th Mar 18, 9:25 PM
    • 1,407 Posts
    • 4,291 Thanks
    moneyonmymindsam
    Glad to hear you had a lovely day One broke Lady

Bournville - sounds a real blast from the past

Sam x
    Emergency Fund Challenge
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 11th Mar 18, 10:10 PM
    • 1,761 Posts
    • 9,635 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Sounds like a great weekend you've had! I love Bournville too, and you are allowed extra calories: they don't count on Mother's Day or your birthday either.

If the money for something to wear goes into savings then it could be an emergency fund for when you need something particular to wear?!
    MFW #30 Paid off £1,622.77/£3770 as of 4/5/18
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 11th Mar 18, 10:35 PM
    • 371 Posts
    • 1,006 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Glad to hear you had a lovely day One broke Lady

Bournville - sounds a real blast from the past

Sam x
    Originally posted by moneyonmymindsam
    Thanks,it certainly is a blast from the past
    Just keep swimming
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £770.00 Total Now Owed = £16,860
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 11th Mar 18, 10:37 PM
    • 371 Posts
    • 1,006 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Sounds like a great weekend you've had! I love Bournville too, and you are allowed extra calories: they don't count on Mother's Day or your birthday either.

If the money for something to wear goes into savings then it could be an emergency fund for when you need something particular to wear?!
    Originally posted by Cherryfudge
    I has been a great weekend
    Just keep swimming
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 15th Mar 18, 10:27 PM
    • 371 Posts
    • 1,006 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    I havent posted for a few days because Ive been manically busy with work family and life in general,all is quiet on the DMP front so there is nothing new to report there,I got a letter today confirming that my second savings account is now up and running, this is for my Xmas savings and Ive started it off with £50 which Im very happy about,all my bills should have been paid now so Im going to check my account at the weekend to see the state of play then if there is any spare cash it will be transferred into my savings account,Im not sure which one yet, the emergency fund is going to be building up with money from DDs boyfriend so if there is anything left in the bank I might put it in the Xmas fund as money going to this will vary depending on how much I earn each month
    In other news I finally got back to have a riding lesson today,I went back to riding two years ago in April after a break of 30 years
    When I was 18 I owned my own horse but sold him when I left home as I couldnt afford to keep him,Ive never been in a position to buy another horse since and because Ive been quite ill with this chronic pain I thought riding was out of my reach,then I discovered my local riding school did a ladies morning, where you go along and have a lesson then after we have tea and cake and a natter,the ladies morning gradually dwindled to just me and one other lady who helps out at the stables,so now I also help out at the stables,so on Thursday I go up in the morning and help to muck out the horses then I get my horse who I ride every week ready and have a lesson then the lady who owns the riding school,myself and the other helper sit and have cake and coffee. I love it up there,I get to be outside in the fresh air getting some exercise and I get to ride. I do suffer with episodes of depression and riding once a week is my therapy
    Last edited by Onebrokelady; 15-03-2018 at 10:31 PM.
    Just keep swimming
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 15th Mar 18, 10:47 PM
    • 1,761 Posts
    • 9,635 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    The riding is such a good idea... I had a few lessons when I was a child but we couldn't afford a horse. Riding side saddle is on my bucket list, though as yet I don't have a plan for it.

Welld one on getting savings account no. 2 in place.
    • ploppy57
    • By ploppy57 16th Mar 18, 8:15 AM
    • 723 Posts
    • 4,656 Thanks
    ploppy57
    Wow, the riding sounds like a great idea. The weather should be improving soon as well, which will be even better.
    DMP March '15 £57,549. Now £44,226. 23% paid. Went SM Feb '18 to get DF sooner.
    Emergency fund #231... £1000.
    Christmas '18 challenge... £22 /£300
    "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, Shining at the end of every day"
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 17th Mar 18, 10:05 PM
    • 371 Posts
    • 1,006 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    The riding is such a good idea... I had a few lessons when I was a child but we couldn't afford a horse. Riding side saddle is on my bucket list, though as yet I don't have a plan for it.

Welld one on getting savings account no. 2 in place.
    I love my riding lessons,I was so worried when I set up my DMP that I would have to give it up but the man from Stepchange asked me how much money I budgeted for sport and leisure so I told him how much it was a month fully expecting him to say I would have to stop paying for it and he didnít say a word just carried on to the next category,so itís all accounted for in my budget and to be honest it is the only thing I do as a regular social activity so I was glad I got to keep it,I have ridden side saddle but didnít like it
    Iím gobsmaked that Iíve actually got any savings never mind two savings accounts,they might not get very big but they are a start
    Just keep swimming
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 17th Mar 18, 10:09 PM
    • 371 Posts
    • 1,006 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Wow, the riding sounds like a great idea. The weather should be improving soon as well, which will be even better.
    Originally posted by ploppy57
    I love it and I love being outside,itís been tough this winter with all the rain but like you say the nicer weather will be here soon and I find when you have worked outside all winter you really appreciate the warmer days when they get here,having said that it is actually snowing again here today so I think spring has been postponed
    Just keep swimming
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 17th Mar 18, 10:27 PM
    • 371 Posts
    • 1,006 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    OMG its cold here today,I woke up to snow falling again which makes me sad, I was really tired last night so went to bed at 10.30 and I didntwake up until 10 am this morning,the colder weather makes me sluggish and its been really busy at work so Im shattered
    I went to town today to meet my mum for coffee,we havent seen each other for several weeks because of one thing or another, she gave me an envelope to be opened when I got home and inside was £200 to treat myself with, my mum doesnt know Im in debt because it would worry her to death but she does know that money is tight and always has been since my partner left so every so often she gives me some money to treat myself,I have told her off for this over and over again but she wont listen and wont stop doing it,I am soooooo grateful that she does this but I do wish she wouldnt,Im not treating myself to anything though,Im going to put it in my savings account
    When I got home from town today there was a letter from my water company which included a cheque for £40 compensation for the interruption to the water supply during the snowy weather,it was only for 24 hours and I never expected any compensation so this was a welcome surprise,this is also going to be paid into my savings account
    I still need to do my banking this weekend so will be doing that tomorrow,I have washing to catch up with tomorrow as well and will also hopefully have time to do some sewing,if itsgoing to be snowy I;m definitely staying indoors all day
    Last edited by Onebrokelady; 17-03-2018 at 10:30 PM.
    Just keep swimming
    • ploppy57
    • By ploppy57 17th Mar 18, 10:32 PM
    • 723 Posts
    • 4,656 Thanks
    ploppy57
    Wow..what a lovely thing for your mum to do. You could treat yourself to something small and save the rest.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 17th Mar 18, 10:48 PM
    • 1,761 Posts
    • 9,635 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    What a lovely Mum! And nice to get a cheque from the water company too.

It's snowed on and off all day here so you may get your indoor day tomorrow.
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 18th Mar 18, 12:21 AM
    • 371 Posts
    • 1,006 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Wow..what a lovely thing for your mum to do. You could treat yourself to something small and save the rest.
    Originally posted by ploppy57
    She is a lovely mum,I canít actually think of anything that I want to buy which is unusual for me
    Just keep swimming
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 18th Mar 18, 12:23 AM
    • 371 Posts
    • 1,006 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    What a lovely Mum! And nice to get a cheque from the water company too.

It's snowed on and off all day here so you may get your indoor day tomorrow.
    The snow has stopped here now but it was forcast for the early hours of the morning so I will see what the marooning brings
    Just keep swimming
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 18th Mar 18, 7:08 AM
    • 6,612 Posts
    • 13,910 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    What a nice thing for your mum to do. Having a bit of a savings buffer gives you some security and knowing the money is there for an occasional treat is nice.

I love horse riding too and when I was younger used to muck out stables in exchange for free rides at our local stables. A few years ago my DD bought me a voucher for a hack around some local farmland at a riding stables and we had a really nice few hours. I would definitely keep that up if I were you.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 18th Mar 18, 9:56 AM
    • 1,765 Posts
    • 10,773 Thanks
    redofromstart
    What a lovely thing for your mum to do, mine says that as she gets older she finds less and less things to spend her money on which means she can afford to be generous.
    • arsenalbarnie
    • By arsenalbarnie 18th Mar 18, 10:15 AM
    • 270 Posts
    • 1,688 Thanks
    arsenalbarnie
    What a lovely mum you have. Maybe you could have another savings pot just for you. We all need things from time to time and it would be nice to know you have money there ready, maybe even adding a little to it every month even if it's only a few quid.
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 18th Mar 18, 11:26 AM
    • 371 Posts
    • 1,006 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Omg I donít believe this,I have paid for the vets bills for my daughters cat and she has paid me the money back,I checked today and she has only gone and paid it into my old bloody account with NatWest that Iím not using anymore,I canít accsess this account and itís part of my DMP as Iím paying off the overdraft,they now have £200 of my money,I have no cards or anything to get into this account to get it back,she knows I have a new bank account and I told her I would give her my details but she just went and paid it into maybe old account,donít know what to do now
    Just keep swimming
    • ploppy57
    • By ploppy57 18th Mar 18, 11:35 AM
    • 723 Posts
    • 4,656 Thanks
    ploppy57
    Omg I donít believe this,I have paid for the vets bills for my daughters cat and she has paid me the money back,I checked today and she has only gone and paid it into my old bloody account with NatWest that Iím not using anymore,I canít accsess this account and itís part of my DMP as Iím paying off the overdraft,they now have £200 of my money,I have no cards or anything to get into this account to get it back,she knows I have a new bank account and I told her I would give her my details but she just went and paid it into maybe old account,donít know what to do now
    Originally posted by Onebrokelady

If it was me, I would go into the bank and explain that it is an account that you no longer use and therefore don't have debit card etc. and ask if you can withdraw it or transfer it to another account. I would think if you take ID such as passport, driving licence etc that would prove who you are. don't mention the DMP and see if you can get the money back before they realise or take the money. If not, at least you know you have paid £200 towards your debts.
    Do you not have online banking still with it? If you did, then you could transfer it yourself.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

44Posts Today

3,103Users online

Martin's Twitter