Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Debtnomoreplease
    • By Debtnomoreplease 30th Jan 18, 7:36 PM
    • 106Posts
    • 258Thanks
    Debtnomoreplease
    New diary
    • 30th Jan 18, 7:36 PM
    New diary 30th Jan 18 at 7:36 PM
    Thought I'd better start a new diary as mine was deleted! I found logging my thoughts, no spend days etc really helped me.
    Here goes:
    Debt 1-OD of 2500, but will be 2000 (500) will be paid off tomorrow.
    Debt 2-CC 1 of 900
    Debt 3-CC 2 of 600
    Today, 30.1.18 my debt stands at 4,000. However, tomorrow it will be less than 3,500.
    I'm going to pay minimums on my CC need to find the bill to check what they are.
    Will add totally debt tomorrow when paid bills etc.
    Although this debt did start at just over 11,000, sadly, I have only this month found this site. I'm towards the finish line (obviously wishing I was there now) this debt has followed me around like a bad smell for years now, and it's been far from a stroll in the park!
    I'm aiming to be debt free by June at the latest. I've got a second job on top of my full time job, and I'm getting as much overtime as possible.
    Also, I have zero savings, so this is something I need to try and do too-I'm screwed if there's and emergency!
Page 2
    • Debtnomoreplease
    • By Debtnomoreplease 12th Feb 18, 9:29 AM
    • 106 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    Debtnomoreplease
    Monday morning-annoyed with myself as not be as careful as usually with my money this week, been unwell and couldn't be bothered to shop around and wasted money really. Will 100% make more effort this week, can't do anything about it now, but ensure it won't happen again.
    I've got a few days off towards the end of the week (holidays I need to use up) so nothing much planned, well nothing which costs money. Going to have another clear out and see if there is anything I can sell-decluttering is always good for the mind.
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 16th Feb 18, 10:11 PM
    • 852 Posts
    • 2,236 Thanks
    fatrab
    Hi, just checking in to see how you're getting on as not heard from you for a wee while!

Hope all is well!

You can have results or excuses, but not both - Wannabe debt free by Dec 2022
    June's targets - Be 15st by end of month, 19/30 AFDs
    39 x 2 coins (#32)
    • Debtnomoreplease
    • By Debtnomoreplease 17th Feb 18, 11:24 AM
    • 106 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    Debtnomoreplease
    Don't know where this week has gone-flown by! But it's a week nearer being debt free!
    Update:
    1) My phone contract has now ended and I'm on pay as you go-I won't be topping up anymore than 10 a month, so will have to be extra careful. I don't really use my phone at work, so that's ok and I only really use Internet when I'm at home (wifi) so this will save me 30+ a month! Which 15 I will put towards OD and 15 into savers, as I still desperately need an emergency fund.
    2) With the night getting lighter, I've started to use my car less which is saving me money on petrol (every penny counts) So will only need 10 ish petrol top up the beginning of next week....as long as the weather isn't too dreadful next week!
    3) I got a few hours overtime in at the start of the week, not as many as I wanted, but better than nothing. Also, health wise was probably better I didn't get anymore hours, seem to have been fighting off bug after bug these past few weeks.
    4) I'm not stressed, where's that going to get me? Spent so many years in tears, stressed, sleepless nights, worried sick I've got to a point I can no longer get myself into these states for my own mental health! The money is being paid back, and I can't do anything else to pay it off at the moment.
    5) 11 more days until payday-I've always liked Feb (less days to wait until pay day) ha ha! End of Feb will see my OD reduce by another 500 to 1500 which will be 1000 paid off it this year.
    CC 1 reduced and CC 2 reduced by 50 each. Bringing my debt down to 2900 and an emergency fund of 300ish. Will try and pay more if any extra money comes in.
    • Debtnomoreplease
    • By Debtnomoreplease 17th Feb 18, 11:25 AM
    • 106 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    Debtnomoreplease
    Hey Fatrab, thank you for checking in on me. All good.
    Hope all is good with you
    • Debtnomoreplease
    • By Debtnomoreplease 17th Feb 18, 2:54 PM
    • 106 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    Debtnomoreplease
    Been planning a future saving plan this morning. I know some people may think this is strange, but I'm looking to the future. I'm hoping (if no hiccups) to be debt free by June 2018! No later. Which will give me 6 months to get some serious savings behind me and separate emergency pots. I know I will be nowhere near these amounts be Christmas, but theses are pots I want to start aiming to before I give myself Abit more of a break money wise. Future emergency pots:
    1) General emergencies-1000.
    2) Rent X6 months worth (for peace of mind)
    3) Car fund- 1,500 ish.
    4) Christmas fund-500. (I don't go over the top for Xmas, it's about quality time for me)
    5) holiday fund
    Getting this down to remind myself and I honestly can not wait for the that I achieve all these pots-will be like a dre come true! Writing them down to tick each goal off over the next few years. (I love a good tick box) these will
    Probably change, but just a rushed idea really
    • Debtnomoreplease
    • By Debtnomoreplease 17th Feb 18, 2:56 PM
    • 106 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    Debtnomoreplease
    The future planning idea to go with the above post is because I DONT EVER EVER WANT TO GET IN DEBT AGAIN! So if I have a plan, savings for all future expensive this should support me well and make me not end and make sure I don't end up in this mess I've been on for the past however many years! To the future!
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 18th Feb 18, 12:38 AM
    • 6,611 Posts
    • 13,907 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Would you like me to merge this with your original diary now it is restored?
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Debtnomoreplease
    • By Debtnomoreplease 18th Feb 18, 8:09 PM
    • 106 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    Debtnomoreplease
    Hi enthusiasticsaver, I think I'll leave the diaries as they are for now-thank you though. It's good to be able to look back on, but feel this diary is a little more positive than my other.

Nothing much to report today, been for a very long walk, as I've sadly let my weight creep up and exercise has been at very minimum recently!! So need to put 100% effort into good foods and exercise this week!

Aiming for at least 4 NSD this week! Will need to top up petrol tomorrow/Tuesday. However, didn't use car today, so saved petrol and had a few hours exercise-win win!!

I've drawn up a plan and stuck it on my fridge to write down what I'm eating, exercising and spending each day-seems to helps me to see it written down and might stop me from eating that extra slice of bread I clearly don't need! Ha ha!

Feeling positive for a Sunday night-new week, new and old goals to smash and I'm healthy to be able to deal with and cope with this week! (Not always been in that position, so always extremely grateful for my health-funnily enough something money can't buy!)

I once saw a quote which I loved:
    You can buy a bed, but not sleep.
    You can buy a house, but not a home.
    You can have money, but not health.
    You can buy a clock, but not time.
    You can buy food, but not an appetite.
    You can buy books, but not knowledge.
    You can buy friends, but not love.
    You can be rich, but not happy.

(Something along the lines of that anyway.)

I Always feel extremely grateful to have a good nights sleep, as I've had many many nights where I haven't and I can not battle a thing without a good sleep! (I need a good 8 hours!)
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 19th Feb 18, 9:47 AM
    • 852 Posts
    • 2,236 Thanks
    fatrab
    Another saying I one saw was "Always buy a good pair of shoes and a good bed, because if you're not in one you're in the other"

Quite a good saying to keep your priorities on order!

Well done with the plan I'll be envious when you reach your debt free day in June!
    39 x 2 coins (#32)
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 19th Feb 18, 1:20 PM
    • 6,611 Posts
    • 13,907 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Been planning a future saving plan this morning. I know some people may think this is strange, but I'm looking to the future. I'm hoping (if no hiccups) to be debt free by June 2018! No later. Which will give me 6 months to get some serious savings behind me and separate emergency pots. I know I will be nowhere near these amounts be Christmas, but theses are pots I want to start aiming to before I give myself Abit more of a break money wise. Future emergency pots:
    1) General emergencies-1000.
    2) Rent X6 months worth (for peace of mind)
    3) Car fund- 1,500 ish.
    4) Christmas fund-500. (I don't go over the top for Xmas, it's about quality time for me)
    5) holiday fund
    Getting this down to remind myself and I honestly can not wait for the that I achieve all these pots-will be like a dre come true! Writing them down to tick each goal off over the next few years. (I love a good tick box) these will
    Probably change, but just a rushed idea really
    Originally posted by Debtnomoreplease
    Those are fantastic plans.

I love savings pots too but just have 4 pots. Our main current account pays interest so I keep our emergency fund in there and our Xmas and gifts budget. Food and fuel paid off monthly on cashback credit card and we never take the current account below a certain limit to make sure there are always funds for emergencies. Personal expenditure comes out of our separate personal accounts and entertainment budgeted for monthly. Pot number 2 is for house and car. Pot number 3 is for holidays. Pot no 4 is our retirement back up cash to subsidise pensions topped up occasionally from investments. It has taken me years to get to a system that works for us though.

It will feel great when you are debt free and have savings. Nothing like well managed finances for peace of mind.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Debtnomoreplease
    • By Debtnomoreplease 20th Feb 18, 8:57 PM
    • 106 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    Debtnomoreplease
    Thank you enthusiasticsaver, love the sound of your pots!!

Not much to report today, days work done. No overtime until Friday, but I'm grateful for what I can get-better than nothing.
    • Debtnomoreplease
    • By Debtnomoreplease 25th Feb 18, 4:48 PM
    • 106 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    Debtnomoreplease
    Can't believe it's been 5days since I last posted...where had the time gone?! Managed some more overtime, which will give my wage a nice boost this month. A few hours here and there adds up.

Hoping to get the debt down more this month: it's currently sits at-3,459. I want it less than 2,600 this month. This will take a lot more work and budgeting than last month, but I'm wanting this gone as soon as possible and every penny I've earnt as overtime is going towards the debt as its money I hand budgeted for.

I still can't believe how my mind has changed on how I view money. I don't ever want to owe money again, the feelings linked with owing money are just not worth it:anxiety, stress, sleepless nights, worry etc-not worth it!
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 26th Feb 18, 2:01 PM
    • 852 Posts
    • 2,236 Thanks
    fatrab
    That will be an amazing achievement, and if you keep up this momentum you're going to smash this in no time.

Are you reducing the overdraft each month or keeping it available until you've built up an emergency fund?
    39 x 2 coins (#32)
    • Debtnomoreplease
    • By Debtnomoreplease 1st Mar 18, 1:49 PM
    • 106 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    Debtnomoreplease
    1st March 2018.
    My debt now stands at 2600! It's going to be a VERY tight month, but I will make it! I've stocked up on cheap foods etc and very little planned for the month ahead.
    I obviously wish I did have things planned, but I can't as that is a want not a need. I've put on my calendar for a take away treat on pay day (March) as a reward. I probably shouldn't, but it won't cost anymore than 10. I want this debt gone as fast as possible, been too many years!

I'm hoping for lots more overtime this month, even if my eyes are tired, I need to do it. My overtime from the past couple of months have knocked this debt down by a lot, so so glad I didn't use it as 'extra' spending money (done this in the past!) and used it towards the debt!

Going to do a new plan for next month with my debt now at 2600. To see if I can get it paid off quicker!

It's my birthday next week, so I've asked for money. I've spoken to family about how they'd feel if I used that money to pay towards debt and thankfully they 100% agree. When they asked what I wanted for my b-day, I said to be nearer being debt free and pressure free; they agree and say what ever makes me happy. It's better than wasting it on a night out with only a hangover to show-usually what I do!

I need it gone, had enough! To even look at a credit card make me want to vomit!!

I was speaking to my friends the other day, I know she has a lot of debt; always has. However, I think it's getting to the point of red letter time, I've spoken to her and she knows my situation and how I've been paying this debt down for over 2years. She knows I've had to say no to a lot of things, but I explained that was my fault for getting in the mess in the first place. Sadly, she isn't at the 'light bulb moment' yet and doesn't seem to want to deal with this head on, but to bury her head! I've explained about this site and they are people to talk to, free of charge etc but seemed to fall on deaf ears. I will keep trying and stand by for hopefully the lightbulb moment!

Happy Thursday!
    • fay66
    • By fay66 2nd Mar 18, 8:49 AM
    • 737 Posts
    • 2,056 Thanks
    fay66
    well done on your savings etc and being nearly debt free, think ive got a bit of time before mine this year will be scrimping to pay them , glad your phone is out of contract everytime mine has done that my phone broke,
    Inland revenue 4500=
    Loan 1562
    Pay day loans -1400 1st pay 16 march 50
    Credit card 1 -4850/4850 int froze
    CC2 -978
    CC3 - 500/548 cc4 180/200
    • Debtnomoreplease
    • By Debtnomoreplease 3rd Mar 18, 10:14 AM
    • 106 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    Debtnomoreplease
    Hey Fatrab, how are things?

Reducing chunks monthly, but not all (just incase) I'm hoping by April to have it completely paid and gone with 400/500 saved.

I won't know what to do with my wage when I get a full wage-I'll feel rich! However, I always have plans in place to start all my savings pots and I'm still going to pay the amount I pay out now, but give myself and extra 100 to play with. I'll build up 1000-2000 emergency fund first.

Then look at savings 6months worth of expenses etc.

I just can't wait to get rid of my OD completely! Never again!!

Hope is going well for you.
    • Debtnomoreplease
    • By Debtnomoreplease 4th Mar 18, 1:25 PM
    • 106 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    Debtnomoreplease
    4th March. I've had a very productive day so far, although I must admit that I was tempted to stay in bed and do nothing! (Sick of the weather now!)
    However, I forced myself out and to get a few essentials and walked so I didn't use petrol, so a good 1 1/2 walk, some fresh air and only 4.94 spent as I forced myself to shop around!

Next on the list it to make lunches for this week and get clothes organised (ironed etc) I do think if you start a Monday on a positive and organised, you can handle the week that little bit better. (In my head anyway)

Changed bedding, shower and wash hair (I hate it-hairs too long!) Then read a couple more chapters of my book with the candles lit and under my big blanket-bliss!

Will do another money plan at some point this week, usually do this every few days to keep track.

Happy Sunday!
    • Debtnomoreplease
    • By Debtnomoreplease 5th Mar 18, 5:50 PM
    • 106 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    Debtnomoreplease
    5th March.
    Great, productive day today.! Got so much done! Got up early, did 45mins exercise before work (wakes me up) walked to work, went for a quick 20 min power walk at lunch and walked home. Got lots done at work, and super organised. Amazing how much a good sleep can focus you for the day-love it!

Tonight's jobs- prepare lunch for tomorrow, shower, read another two chapters of book, switch TV off by 9pm (I'm terrible for falling asleep with it on!) and have a good sleep.

Jobs for tomorrow-up early again for exercise, walk to work, pop to chemist for blood pressure check and flu jab, prepare Weds lunch, ask about overtime and what ever else pops up.

Happy Monday!
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 6th Mar 18, 5:44 PM
    • 852 Posts
    • 2,236 Thanks
    fatrab
    Hi, good to hear that you're making a big dent in things!

I like those days when you get things done, they help get you into a better frame of mind and keep the momentum going.

Hope you have a great Birthday when it comes! Best wishes
    39 x 2 coins (#32)
    • Debtnomoreplease
    • By Debtnomoreplease 9th Mar 18, 7:35 AM
    • 106 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    Debtnomoreplease
    Thank you, Fatrab.

Glad it's Friday-exhausted, but in a good way.

Will update later when not so rushed for time.

Happy Friday!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,230Posts Today

6,236Users online

Martin's Twitter