Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SamsReturn
    • By SamsReturn 30th Jan 18, 4:44 PM
    • 2,294Posts
    • 4,275Thanks
    SamsReturn
    There are some nice people in this world.
    • 30th Jan 18, 4:44 PM
    There are some nice people in this world. 30th Jan 18 at 4:44 PM
    An ambulance worker said he was "blown away" when a stranger paid his petrol bill as a thank you to people who "do a fantastic job".
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-42872907

A sleeping passenger on a train was shocked to wake up to find "£100 under a napkin" on her lap.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-42862106

What random acts of kindness have you done.
    When i was younger we'd been on a camping holiday to France and were on the way home to the ferry. We met these English girls who just arrived in France, they decided on the spur of the moment to go on holiday and had almost no camping gear. So i gave them our stuff, anything they could carry. One took my name & address and promised she'd return everything. She was starting atLiverpool Uni later in the year and would come to my house then. Absolutley everyone told me i was a sucker,she'd seen me coming, and i'd never see any of my camping gear again.
    Then one day later in the year there was a knock on the door and standing there is, this girl and her boyfriend with all my stuff. It was really great to be able to go around all my mates and the people in work and say ........ I told you so.
    What have you done for strangers ?
Page 2
    • Callie22
    • By Callie22 1st Mar 18, 12:02 PM
    • 3,115 Posts
    • 8,460 Thanks
    Callie22
    Absolutely. I open/hold doors not because someone is elderly, or female, or infirmed. I hold doors open because I am a gentleman. I's the way I was brought up.
    Originally posted by Fruitcake
    I was brought up to do this too, it's good manners. However, many years ago I had a manager who threatened me with disciplinary action for doing it at work or on work trips as they felt that a member of their team holding doors open was demeaning for their department. She really was barking.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 1st Mar 18, 12:31 PM
    • 35,579 Posts
    • 131,883 Thanks
    Pyxis
    I was brought up to do this too, it's good manners. However, many years ago I had a manager who threatened me with disciplinary action for doing it at work or on work trips as they felt that a member of their team holding doors open was demeaning for their department. She really was barking.
    Originally posted by Callie22
    Nuts!

Well, I hope you let the door close in her face, then!
    Denmark and Senegal
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    • Callie22
    • By Callie22 1st Mar 18, 1:03 PM
    • 3,115 Posts
    • 8,460 Thanks
    Callie22
    Nuts!

Well, I hope you let the door close in her face, then!
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    I was tempted as I figured by her rules that would have lead to a substantial promotion
    • mon2016
    • By mon2016 1st Mar 18, 3:12 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    mon2016
    The thing is, though, does the motive matter?
    (Providing it's not a sinister motive, natch!)

Being nice to people has a knock-on effect, but if it also makes the giver of niceness feel good, but why not?

If the 'reward' for being generous, kind, courteous or giving is a lovely warm feeling, or some media coverage, why is that a bad thing?

I don't believe in God or heaven, so I'm quite happy to get my reward here on Earth, even if it's just a rush of endorphins!

Someone who has nice things done to them is more likely to be nice to others.

I've seen it on the roads a lot...... someone lets a car into a queue of traffic. At the next junction that car driver often lets someone else join the queue. Then at the junction after that, that third driver lets someone in.
    Ok, they might have done it anyway, but being reminded that it's a kind thing to let someone in, is no bad thing.
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    When I started driving I started to lose faith in humanity, people have little control over their anger and I've had people beep their horns at me for doing something that someone else did to me 5 minutes before yet I never beeped my horn at them, I can't be doing with it, if I didn't live in the countryside I wouldn't be near a car.

I remember one time I left my indicator on at a mini roundabout as there was a roundabout beforehand, a car at the roundabout drove out as they assumed I was going left but I was going straight, they had to brake, the man followed me into the car park and called me all sorts of names even though I had apologised about 5 times, if that's what happens when you nearly are in an accident what would happen if you do get in an accident, maybe I will be murdered.
    Last edited by mon2016; 01-03-2018 at 3:17 PM.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 1st Mar 18, 4:05 PM
    • 35,579 Posts
    • 131,883 Thanks
    Pyxis
    When I started driving I started to lose faith in humanity, people have little control over their anger and I've had people beep their horns at me for doing something that someone else did to me 5 minutes before yet I never beeped my horn at them, I can't be doing with it, if I didn't live in the countryside I wouldn't be near a car.

I remember one time I left my indicator on at a mini roundabout as there was a roundabout beforehand, a car at the roundabout drove out as they assumed I was going left but I was going straight, they had to brake, the man followed me into the car park and called me all sorts of names even though I had apologised about 5 times, if that's what happens when you nearly are in an accident what would happen if you do get in an accident, maybe I will be murdered.
    Originally posted by mon2016
    Do you live in Essex, by any chance?

I have noticed that drivers' attitudes are different in different parts of the country.

Generally, I find that people are usually ok to each other where I am. Of course, you get the odd person who beeps the horn when you've taken more than a nanosecond to move away from the lights, but generally it would seem people are quite tolerant of mistakes made.

To be honest, the only person allowed to scream at someone should be the person who has never ever made a driving error in their life.
    There ain't no such person.

And anyway, you can console yourself with the thought that a driver who succumbs to road rage at any level is an appalling bad driver! Worse than someone who forgets to turn off their indicator!

And anyway, an indicator should never be taken as gospel until you're sure that person is turning, for that very reason!
    Denmark and Senegal
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    • littleDOTS
    • By littleDOTS 1st Mar 18, 9:04 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    littleDOTS
    If I've an all-day bus ticket and don't need it any more, I often try to pass it on as I get off the bus or pass another bus stop. People often recoil as if they think I'm crazy and are going to con them or harm them! They can't even take in what I'm saying they're so suspicious half the time. I try not to be offended. Some after a minute realize what I'm telling them and are really grateful.

Living in a flat I tend to take out bins for others and sweep the stairs pretty regularly.

Something nice done for me was when my little one was 4. She had a habit of running away in supermarkets. i was often at my wits end. One day I had just walked into the big ASDA with her, in the doorway and right in front of the MdDonalds she darted off and I couldn't see her. Suddenly it was too much to cope with and I just stopped and burst into tears which were streaming down my face and I was sobbing loudly too. An older lady was so kind and asked me what was wrong, whilst the diners at McDonalds were gawping at me, and then a young lad probably 15 yrs or so came over to see what was wrong and he was so lovely too. I could hardly speak. Just as I was trying to tell them what was wrong I saw my daughter peeping out from behind the newspaper stand with a VERY guilty look on her face. Those people were so nice, remembering that restores my faith in humanity.
    LBM July 2015
    2 cards £3800 1 card £549
    CAR Loan from MUM £4000 £40 loan from sister £2688
    • littleDOTS
    • By littleDOTS 1st Mar 18, 9:07 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    littleDOTS
    It's always nice to see people helping others with buggies on stairs. Not often but very occasionally I get the sense we're all here to help each other....usually it's the opposite feeling I get!
    LBM July 2015
    2 cards £3800 1 card £549
    CAR Loan from MUM £4000 £40 loan from sister £2688
    • joansgirl
    • By joansgirl 7th Mar 18, 1:22 PM
    • 14,062 Posts
    • 54,704 Thanks
    joansgirl
    There ARE some nice people in this world but there are also some real !!!!!!s
    Some people only exist as examples of what to avoid...

Finito

Brazil and Serbia
    • colinw
    • By colinw 7th Mar 18, 3:37 PM
    • 52,020 Posts
    • 144,051 Thanks
    colinw
    Originally posted by joansgirl
    Too darn right
    • I am spartacus
    • By I am spartacus 13th Mar 18, 10:56 AM
    • 94 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    I am spartacus
    We could do with some more though.
    I am, therefore I think.

• MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 13th Mar 18, 6:57 PM
    • 12,334 Posts
    • 16,642 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    Originally posted by joansgirl
    Like me
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?

I live in the UK City of Culture 2021

I had to put mothballs in my wallet - the moths had learned the PINs to my cards...
    • Callum Jones
    • By Callum Jones 14th Mar 18, 11:18 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 364 Thanks
    Callum Jones
    I once put my shirt on a bleeding horse that had been scratched.
    I put the bins out for the pensioners.
    I open the church for those cramming for their finals.
    I feed the neighbours cat if they go on holiday.
    Last edited by Callum Jones; 15-03-2018 at 9:52 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,266Posts Today

8,105Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nearly at the Cheshire Show. Doing an @itvMLshow there today and tomorrow. Do say hi if you're there or ask a question.

• Good morning. I'm on the train to go to the Cheshire Show today to film for an @itvmlshow Roadshow. Looking forwa? https://t.co/T0uKOKyj4I

• Early days, but so far a huge majority - 19 in 20 people - support legalising cannabis for medical use. Whereas t? https://t.co/a3gJipQITc

• Follow Martin