Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jeanw
    • By jeanw 30th Jan 18, 3:17 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 1Thanks
    jeanw
    Financial settlement
    • 30th Jan 18, 3:17 PM
    Financial settlement 30th Jan 18 at 3:17 PM
    My husband and i are separating and just waiting for house sale to go through. We are both living in the house at the moment. We are splitting the house 50/50. We have a separate ISA each but the money came from an inheritance to my husband. Can he claw this back from me or can this be used in our financial pot. He has about 20k in his and mine is worth about 40k.
    He also has a pension of 200k. (130k of this accumulated during our marriage) He has not paid into the pension since we married but it has made about 130k. Am I entitled to any of this as I have no pension. He has asked me not to go for his pension. We are splitting up because he was unfaithful. Sadly I thought our marriage was forever and never took on a pension for myself. I am going to have to now take out a small mortgage (30k ish) and start all over again, a bit daunting at 57 years of age. We met in 2004 and married in 2011.
Page 2
    • RADDERS
    • By RADDERS 1st Feb 18, 4:40 PM
    • 203 Posts
    • 222 Thanks
    RADDERS
    12 years, and you only had 15k equity in it?

How is that even possible?
    Originally posted by Comms69
    Very easy in the north, house prices in some places are still the same now as 2006.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 1st Feb 18, 4:45 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,935 Thanks
    Comms69
    Very easy in the north, house prices in some places are still the same now as 2006.
    Originally posted by RADDERS

Some very deprived areas maybe, but I'm based in the north and that's not the case for the majority.

I mean 12 years of income alone would generate more than that in equity.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 2nd Feb 18, 2:43 AM
    • 12,155 Posts
    • 9,524 Thanks
    unholyangel
    Do you really want to take some of his inheritance money?
    Originally posted by davidwood681
    Another account? Shame you don't have a different attitude.

12 years, and you only had 15k equity in it?

How is that even possible?
    OP said they were renting it out - maybe it was a BTL interest only mortgage to maximise the rental income?
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 2nd Feb 18, 5:38 AM
    • 20,060 Posts
    • 33,104 Thanks
    Spendless
    Some very deprived areas maybe, but I'm based in the north and that's not the case for the majority.

I mean 12 years of income alone would generate more than that in equity.
    Very much depends on where you are. I live in the North in a deprived town but not a deprived suburb of the town. We bought in 2001 so have equity, but that equity has barely changed in 12ish years. Rental properties for same house on my street, are about 100 a month more than what my mortgage costs. 12 years rental income would have given me under 15K by the time the mortgage was paid (and not including any other expenses)
    • username12345678
    • By username12345678 13th Feb 18, 12:55 AM
    • 212 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    username12345678
    I read some of these threads where spouses try to justify grabbing what they can from assets built up before marriage and it makes me wonder if they showed their true colours prior to marriage.

Maybe i'm fortunate in having a wife who has a lot of self-respect made it clear that she has zero interest in trying to claim on anything accumulated prior to marriage.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 13th Feb 18, 9:38 AM
    • 10,337 Posts
    • 13,380 Thanks
    hazyjo
    Maybe i'm fortunate in having a wife who has a lot of self-respect made it clear that she has zero interest in trying to claim on anything accumulated prior to marriage.
    Originally posted by username12345678
    If you cheated on her and humiliated her, you may find she changes her mind!
    2018 wins: Single Malt Whisky; theatre tickets; festival tickets; year of gin!
    • BBH123
    • By BBH123 13th Feb 18, 11:09 AM
    • 602 Posts
    • 997 Thanks
    BBH123
    And this ladies is why you should never leave your financial security unattended too because you have a man.

As an ex bank manager I cannot tell you the number of people who left pensions, insurance etc to their husbands only for things to go pear shaped in later years at an age too old to recover from.

Look after yourselves ladies and if nothing else you have financial peace of mind.

PS FWIW after such a short marriage and no children I would not take him for everything. I am not a vindictive person and I have sorted myself financially so wouldn't have to.
    Save 12k in 2018 challenge #14
    3550/ 10000

Saving for Christmas 2018 - 1 a day challenge
    #15 120/365
    • BBH123
    • By BBH123 13th Feb 18, 11:10 AM
    • 602 Posts
    • 997 Thanks
    BBH123
    If you cheated on her and humiliated her, you may find she changes her mind!
    Originally posted by hazyjo

People fall out of love, it happens.
    Save 12k in 2018 challenge #14
    3550/ 10000

Saving for Christmas 2018 - 1 a day challenge
    #15 120/365
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

136Posts Today

1,166Users online

Martin's Twitter