Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 30th Jan 18, 2:46 PM
    • 7,261Posts
    • 55,098Thanks
    shaggydoo
    Cutting Down Alcohol Thread (Part 15)
    • 30th Jan 18, 2:46 PM
    Cutting Down Alcohol Thread (Part 15) 30th Jan 18 at 2:46 PM
    Hi Guys,

Sadly we lost our thread and I don't personally keep a private record of others AFDs so all data on the old thread is gone.

I've decided I'm going to bow out for a while as I'm actually pretty busy here in RL. And my life is about to get really hectic as I'm moving home....Also it will be hard to have challenges if data is getting lost. Sorry guys.

....It's been great...maybe I'll be back in a few months...

Ta Ta For Now.

Shaggyx

Welcome. Here we are again, time for a new thread, new starts and new challenges.

Let's take a trip down memory lane and remind ourselves of In Search Of Me's (ISOM) original post in Part 1:

24th February 2008

Quote:
    In Search Of Me "There are a few of us who want to give up/cut down & I thought it would be good to widen the net to support each other along the way!
    For me alch & feeling good for the time I'm drinking & then rubbish after go hand in hand. A bit like drinking & smoking & drinking & getting the munchies! Last year I gave up alch & fags for 10 months & then "slipped" towards Christmas until by Jan I was doing both with alarming regularity. I dread to think how much both cost me financially and I know physically that I've felt rubbish. My lungs hurt, have put on weight & literally none of my clothes fit so I will have to buy more - which means a dent in my budget that I can ill afford. My skin is also yukky & much nicer when I dont drink/smoke!
    I had my last ciggies the night before last & last wine on Tues. I know I will feel 100% better when I crack it but also know it will be hard. One disadvantage here is that all too often DFW "parties" tend to involve alcohol so I'm also hoping that this can possibly be a safe haven for those of us who want, or need, to abstain, for now at least!
    Anway - I hope that this can be a place of real support for people who are sturggling. I do wonder whether there is a link between debt & drinking as from the Jan thread it was obvious that so many struggle to give up! Plus I know for me that I feel much hapier and in control when I dont drink (or drink in moderation) - which of course begs the question "why do I do it?"! Anyway, I do but will now try not t ad hope some of you wil join in. Some days I know I wil fail, just as I do with my debt free journey and I am more than happy to be given a swift (but nice!) kicking when I do! Hugs all and dare I say... but this time with water!!
    And here's what she started!!! :

Part 13 is Here

Part 12 is HERE

Part 11 is HERE

Part 10 is HERE

Part 9 is HERE

Part 8 is HERE

Part 7 is HERE

Part 6 is HERE

Part 5 is HERE

Part 4 is HERE

Part 3 is HERE

Part 2 is HERE

and the original starting thread is HERE

Here is a post from back on thread 1 or 2.

Quote:
    Springwatch Girl Well, week 5 of no alcohol and I see a different person in the mirror. My eyes no longer look dull and vacant, they actually have a little sparkle and my skin doesn't look like uncooked pastry anymore. I feel that I have won a battle but not yet the war. Hope everyone else is at the point they want to be, I never want to be that person I was, I have been tempted but I just think back to what I had become. The sun is shining at the moment and I feel good and want to continue to have the sun in my life"

Good Luck Everyone!

Shaggyx
    Last edited by shaggydoo; 24-07-2018 at 7:37 AM.
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
Page 87
    • maman
    • By maman 6th Aug 18, 11:16 AM
    • 18,876 Posts
    • 112,660 Thanks
    maman
    No drinking for me today.

4/10 AFDs please Shaggy.
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 7th Aug 18, 7:31 AM
    • 1,156 Posts
    • 4,335 Thanks
    fatrab
    Helloooo, FatRab, you still out there?
    Originally posted by Honey Bear
    yes, still here!! Not been on the forum as often recently as I was spending a bit too much time on here when I should have been working! And I'm rarely on at weekends or in the evenings, I don't switch the laptop on outside working hours... time at home is too precious.

Currently on 5/28 AFDs and 6/28 TAFDs. Still not quite managed to go completely AF yet. I didn't drink Friday or Saturday but I was out for an hour on Sunday and had a few pints plus have a planned day on the 25th where I'll probably have a drink, otherwise it'll be a quiet month so no temptation.

Thanks for keeping me in mind though
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    Challenge - be 14 Stone BY XMAS!

• sukeyboo
    • By sukeyboo 7th Aug 18, 7:38 AM
    • 975 Posts
    • 7,486 Thanks
    sukeyboo
    3/12 for today please Shaggy
    • cathybird
    • By cathybird 7th Aug 18, 8:23 AM
    • 3,383 Posts
    • 13,708 Thanks
    cathybird
    Morning all, 6/21 for me thanks Shaggy.
    No. 15 in Save 12K in 2018. 9,366.16/12,000
    Dec AFDs: 12/21. 2018 AFDs: 292/260. 2017: 306/252
    Mortgage 3/12/18: 32,475.00 32,250 Paid off: 225
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 7th Aug 18, 8:44 AM
    • 7,261 Posts
    • 55,098 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    Monthly Challenge : August 2018
    August 2018

= 7 Days

= 14 Days

= 21 Days

= 28 Days

= 31 Days

= Target Reached

= Target Beaten

Arkers 3/10

Barney 2/24

CathyBird 6/21

Fatrab 5/28

GreenKaren /7

Honey Bear 6/31

ItIsMe /5

MaggieM /5

Maman 4/10

Pricey /23

Shaggydoo 3/16

Suckeyboo 3/12

WannaBeeFree /16

Everyone Welcome Anytime of the Month!
    Last edited by shaggydoo; 12-08-2018 at 6:47 PM.
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 7th Aug 18, 8:47 AM
    • 7,261 Posts
    • 55,098 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    Monthly Challenge : August 2018 Targets
    Roll Up, Roll Up!

It's the Monthlly Challenge !

Set Your
    TARGET

Everyone Welcome!
    • PriceySOS
    • By PriceySOS 7th Aug 18, 9:41 AM
    • 593 Posts
    • 4,828 Thanks
    PriceySOS
    6 please, Shaggy, ta
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 7th Aug 18, 11:21 AM
    • 5,406 Posts
    • 53,433 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    It always worries me when people disappear without saying anything FatRab because they often never appear again. We're left wondering if they're doing really well, or have slipped up and over-indulged and carried on doing so. Anyone is free to disappear, obviously, but they're all missed. Glad you posted, thank you and your figures look great.

7/31 please, Shaggy.
    Last edited by Honey Bear; 08-08-2018 at 9:18 AM.
    Keeping it AF
    • maman
    • By maman 7th Aug 18, 11:28 AM
    • 18,876 Posts
    • 112,660 Thanks
    maman
    Not sure if you can read this link without a subscription:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ill-have-a-nogroni-the-rise-of-the-no-alcohol-drink-j5m6b8nrh

Briefly it's about the proliferation in AF drinks and how popular and acceptable it's becoming to not to drink alcohol. What struck me though with my mse hat on is that it's proving a nice little earner for the producers. Presumably they don't have to pay the duty but they're charging similar prices.

5/10 AFDs please Shaggy.
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 7th Aug 18, 12:32 PM
    • 1,156 Posts
    • 4,335 Thanks
    fatrab
    I'd still been lurking HB, I read & like all the posts, I just hadn't posted I've been the same on my thread in the DFW section too. I used to post every day but now I only post weekly or if something significant happens financially. When I was site-based I could manage my own time and pop onto the forum whenever I wanted, now that I'm in head office I'm less able to do that.

Maman I've tried loads of AF drinks over the past few months and they're 100% not worth the money in pubs.

I'm going for a completely dry September, we're having a party on the 25th Aug for the wee ones 1st birthday and then it's Mrs fatrabs birthday at the beginning of October so a dry September should be absolutely do-able!

• Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 7th Aug 18, 7:47 PM
    • 4,339 Posts
    • 45,913 Thanks
    Barny1979
    3/24 AFDs today
    • Arkers
    • By Arkers 7th Aug 18, 8:17 PM
    • 783 Posts
    • 6,116 Thanks
    Arkers
    Good evening everyone,
    7 please Shaggy
    Arkers x
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 8th Aug 18, 9:26 AM
    • 5,406 Posts
    • 53,433 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Not sure if you can read this link without a subscription:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ill-have-a-nogroni-the-rise-of-the-no-alcohol-drink-j5m6b8nrh

Briefly it's about the proliferation in AF drinks and how popular and acceptable it's becoming to not to drink alcohol. What struck me though with my mse hat on is that it's proving a nice little earner for the producers. Presumably they don't have to pay the duty but they're charging similar prices.
    Originally posted by maman

I can't read the whole article but the first few paragraphs and your summation make a whole story. I don't object to paying the same price as full alcohol drinks at all. I'm amazed and delighted they stock it, and now slightly disappointed if somewhere doesn't although I understand the storage problems in bars and restaurants.

For the AF beer I drink the production and transport costs are the same as for regular beer. The amount of R&D that went into making a palatable AF drink must have been huge, much much more than brewing a beer that sells by the millions of gallons. AF is a tiny, tiny market and if the producers' take makes the saved duty profitable enough to supply me - thank you, have the duty-equivalent profit with my gratitude.

Sainsbobs AF sparkling 'wine' was 2.75 when I drank it three/four years ago - bargain.

Thank you for posting FatRab, and glad to hear you're okay. Now I can stop fretting!

8/31 please, Shaggy.
    Keeping it AF
    • sukeyboo
    • By sukeyboo 8th Aug 18, 12:38 PM
    • 975 Posts
    • 7,486 Thanks
    sukeyboo
    4/12 for today please Shaggy
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 8th Aug 18, 1:07 PM
    • 1,156 Posts
    • 4,335 Thanks
    fatrab
    6/28 AF & 7/28 TAFD for today please

• pollyanna24
    • By pollyanna24 8th Aug 18, 1:33 PM
    • 3,922 Posts
    • 4,924 Thanks
    pollyanna24
    Hello!

I don't come on here very often as I'm too scared to set a monthly target in case I fail.

However, I have just reached 100 days for the whole year. My ultimate aim is 50% of the year, so have another 83 days to go. I can do it if I stick to Mon-Thurs no drinking. Doesn't take account of any holidays or Xmas though, arrgggh! Still, just keep plodding on!
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    House Worth (approx) - 400,000
    Mortgages (3rd Nov 2017) - 180,813.85
    Equity - 219,186.15
    • Arkers
    • By Arkers 8th Aug 18, 2:51 PM
    • 783 Posts
    • 6,116 Thanks
    Arkers
    Good afternoon everyone,
    8 please Shaggy
    Arkers x
    • Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 8th Aug 18, 5:58 PM
    • 4,339 Posts
    • 45,913 Thanks
    Barny1979
    4/24 AFDs today
    • maman
    • By maman 8th Aug 18, 11:35 PM
    • 18,876 Posts
    • 112,660 Thanks
    maman
    Almost had a s*d it day today as I know I have a number of social events coming up and I thought I might start early. But I didn't!

7/10 please Shaggy

Sorry but phone doesn't want to do colour or bold today!
    Last edited by maman; 09-08-2018 at 3:17 PM.
    • Wanna Bee Free
    • By Wanna Bee Free 9th Aug 18, 6:28 AM
    • 1,306 Posts
    • 11,719 Thanks
    Wanna Bee Free
    Off the starting block in August so 1/16 please Shaggy. Thanks for scoring for us in August again!
    Planning another one today. I am way behind target for the year and trying not to use that as an excuse to give up completely. I need to lose weight and more AFDs will definitely help me do that.
    Save 12K in 2018 #12 - 9,575/12,000 79%
    Cutting Down Alcohol: Dec 5/14 Nov 8/10 Oct 5/10 Sep 15/10
    2018 86/150 66% (2017:106|2016:83)
    2018 No clutter to be seen - 210/630 33.3%
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

148Posts Today

1,885Users online

Martin's Twitter