Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 30th Jan 18, 2:46 PM
    • 6,760Posts
    • 52,037Thanks
    shaggydoo
    Cutting Down Alcohol Thread (Part 15)
    • 30th Jan 18, 2:46 PM
    Cutting Down Alcohol Thread (Part 15) 30th Jan 18 at 2:46 PM
    Hi Guys,

Sadly we lost our thread and I don't personally keep a private record of others AFDs so all data on the old thread is gone.

I've decided I'm going to bow out for a while as I'm actually pretty busy here in RL. And my life is about to get really hectic as I'm moving home....Also it will be hard to have challenges if data is getting lost. Sorry guys.

....It's been great...maybe I'll be back in a few months...

Ta Ta For Now.

Shaggyx

Welcome. Here we are again, time for a new thread, new starts and new challenges.

Let's take a trip down memory lane and remind ourselves of In Search Of Me's (ISOM) original post in Part 1:

24th February 2008

Quote:
    In Search Of Me "There are a few of us who want to give up/cut down & I thought it would be good to widen the net to support each other along the way!
    For me alch & feeling good for the time I'm drinking & then rubbish after go hand in hand. A bit like drinking & smoking & drinking & getting the munchies! Last year I gave up alch & fags for 10 months & then "slipped" towards Christmas until by Jan I was doing both with alarming regularity. I dread to think how much both cost me financially and I know physically that I've felt rubbish. My lungs hurt, have put on weight & literally none of my clothes fit so I will have to buy more - which means a dent in my budget that I can ill afford. My skin is also yukky & much nicer when I dont drink/smoke!
    I had my last ciggies the night before last & last wine on Tues. I know I will feel 100% better when I crack it but also know it will be hard. One disadvantage here is that all too often DFW "parties" tend to involve alcohol so I'm also hoping that this can possibly be a safe haven for those of us who want, or need, to abstain, for now at least!
    Anway - I hope that this can be a place of real support for people who are sturggling. I do wonder whether there is a link between debt & drinking as from the Jan thread it was obvious that so many struggle to give up! Plus I know for me that I feel much hapier and in control when I dont drink (or drink in moderation) - which of course begs the question "why do I do it?"! Anyway, I do but will now try not t ad hope some of you wil join in. Some days I know I wil fail, just as I do with my debt free journey and I am more than happy to be given a swift (but nice!) kicking when I do! Hugs all and dare I say... but this time with water!!
    And here's what she started!!! :

Part 13 is Here

Part 12 is HERE

Part 11 is HERE

Part 10 is HERE

Part 9 is HERE

Part 8 is HERE

Part 7 is HERE

Part 6 is HERE

Part 5 is HERE

Part 4 is HERE

Part 3 is HERE

Part 2 is HERE

and the original starting thread is HERE

Here is a post from back on thread 1 or 2.

Quote:
    Springwatch Girl Well, week 5 of no alcohol and I see a different person in the mirror. My eyes no longer look dull and vacant, they actually have a little sparkle and my skin doesn't look like uncooked pastry anymore. I feel that I have won a battle but not yet the war. Hope everyone else is at the point they want to be, I never want to be that person I was, I have been tempted but I just think back to what I had become. The sun is shining at the moment and I feel good and want to continue to have the sun in my life"

Good Luck Everyone!

Shaggyx
    Last edited by shaggydoo; 24-07-2018 at 7:37 AM.
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
Page 41
    • maman
    • By maman 11th Apr 18, 12:00 PM
    • 18,211 Posts
    • 108,914 Thanks
    maman
    6/14 for today please Baileys
    Originally posted by sukeyboo

Same here sukey, we're neck and neck!

6/10 AFDs please Baileys.
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 11th Apr 18, 12:30 PM
    • 5,218 Posts
    • 51,896 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    11/30 please, Baileys.
    Keeping it AF
    • Baileysonice
    • By Baileysonice 11th Apr 18, 1:16 PM
    • 428 Posts
    • 3,129 Thanks
    Baileysonice
    April 2018

= Take Off

= 7 Days

= 14 Days

= 21 Days

=28 Days

= April..SORTED

= Target Achieved

= Overachiever

Arkers 8/12

Barny1979 4/22

Baileysonice 10/20

cathybird 14/21

CuppaTea 7/17

doingitanyway 15/30

ElusiveLucy 6/15

fatrab 10/28

Glenda 8/25

Honey Bear 16/30

Itisme 12/12

maman 7/10

maggiem /10

Paspatur 8/30

Poor_Single_Lady 5/22

sukeyboo 7/14

Wanna Bee Free 4/14

Everyone Welcome! It's never too late to join....

Please highlight your AFDs in Red

Don't hesitate to let me know if I've made a mistake
    Last edited by Baileysonice; 16-04-2018 at 8:58 AM.
    • Baileysonice
    • By Baileysonice 11th Apr 18, 1:18 PM
    • 428 Posts
    • 3,129 Thanks
    Baileysonice
    Fatrab's

Fatrab 10/90

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
    • sukeyboo
    • By sukeyboo 11th Apr 18, 1:43 PM
    • 919 Posts
    • 7,112 Thanks
    sukeyboo
    Same here sukey, we're neck and neck!

6/10 AFDs please Baileys.
    Originally posted by maman
    I think we must be drinking 'twins'
    • Arkers
    • By Arkers 11th Apr 18, 4:09 PM
    • 721 Posts
    • 5,687 Thanks
    Arkers
    Good afternoon everyone,
    6 please Baileys.
    Turbulent few days...
    Arkers x
    • maman
    • By maman 11th Apr 18, 6:45 PM
    • 18,211 Posts
    • 108,914 Thanks
    maman
    Good afternoon everyone,
    6 please Baileys.
    Turbulent few days...
    Arkers x
    Originally posted by Arkers

Oh dear. Sorry to hear that.

Another drinking twin!
    • Itisme
    • By Itisme 11th Apr 18, 9:09 PM
    • 126 Posts
    • 759 Thanks
    Itisme
    9/12 please.
    • Arkers
    • By Arkers 12th Apr 18, 8:47 AM
    • 721 Posts
    • 5,687 Thanks
    Arkers
    Good morning everyone,
    Hi Maman There is a family issue I'm not able to control which is causing huge problems. I fell spectacularly off the wagon one night with the drinking. I'm going to admit maudlin and weepy drunk which I then suffered for all the next day. It appears that when I have too much on my plate, my go to is still the bottle. I'm trying not to feel bad about the drinking as I've regained control, again this thread has made me reflect and think.

Between you and me even though I haven't posted for ages on a certain healthy lifestyle thread. I've still managed to keep off all my weight, so glass half full!

7 please Baileys
    Arkers x
    • sukeyboo
    • By sukeyboo 12th Apr 18, 9:49 AM
    • 919 Posts
    • 7,112 Thanks
    sukeyboo
    Sorry to hear of your family problems Arkers - falling off the wagon happens to the best of us occasionally but the main thing is you are still on here and back in control

7/14 for today please Baileys - halfway to my target and the added bonus of a dancing monkey
    • Baileysonice
    • By Baileysonice 12th Apr 18, 10:06 AM
    • 428 Posts
    • 3,129 Thanks
    Baileysonice
    Well done Arkers and sukeyboo for 7 days

Sorry about your family issues Arkers but well done on quickly jumping back on the wagon

Talking of drinking twins I seem to be twinned with cathybird numbers wise but she will be whopping my a** this month I feel as I have a few nights out planned. Its funny how my mindset has changed though whereas previously I would attend anything that got me out and drinking now I only go to things I really want too so that I don't spoil a good AF day Its very addictive this thread
    • ElusiveLucy
    • By ElusiveLucy 12th Apr 18, 10:33 AM
    • 678 Posts
    • 3,754 Thanks
    ElusiveLucy
    I'm going to call in early for tonight as well as last night - 5/15 please

Been pretty stressed and probably had too much to drink Fri/Sat/Sun but at least I was back on it yesterday and tonight. Really want to make target this month
    Originally posted by ElusiveLucy
    I think my update was missed (5/15). No update for last night as OH asked me if I wanted a drink and I stupidly had one (two actually). Very annoyed with myself this morning even though I enjoyed them. I can still make target this month by not drinking Mon-Thur so I am going to work very hard towards that and NO midweek drinking!
    What goes around comes around.....I hope!
    • steveh68
    • By steveh68 12th Apr 18, 10:44 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    steveh68
    As a long time lurker of many years I wanted to thank everyone who posts on here for the inspiration and support you provide even if I havenít posted I have read ALL the posts.
    Well I wanted to share my story to show that it can be done although how I have managed it I am not sure!? My drinking habits have been steadily getting worse during my adult life progressing from nightly drinking to at a peak of 8 to 10 pints every school night and Friday, Saturday and Sunday nearer 20. Things dragged on for many years and inevitably the Type II diagnosis arrived. Anyway a change in jobs and a very happy and stable relationship and Dry January led me to decide I would do Dry January 2018. Incredibly January passed without incident and a few social occasions without drinking and Dry January becomes Dry February and then Dry March and today I have reached 100 days sober!

The benefits havenít been as noticeable as I thought albeit the extra cash has made a noticeable difference mainly on my credit cards. I am now looking at low carb option to help the T2 and weight loss.

BUT the reason for the post is, knowing what a wealth of experience there is on here , I wanted to ask a question. What Next? I donít like the thought of no more drinking forever. I am scared that a few pints could easily lead back and could I do it again? Do I change (this is my favoured choice) from pints of beer to a glass or two of something else to relax ie. Spirits. And use that to unwind at weekend knowing that is better for T2 but limiting it to a set amount at weekends? Do I carry on and see how far I can get? 200 days isnít that far away?

What do people think and what have people find works? Many thanks for reading and more importantly thank you all for posting. It really does make a difference.
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 12th Apr 18, 11:08 AM
    • 849 Posts
    • 2,661 Thanks
    fatrab
    Well done Steve. That's an amazing achievement!

Sounds like a very similar story to myself. I stayed sober in February following an episode in late January when I realised it was time to cut down. I drank on 5 days in March and so far 1 in April, and I'm attempting 90 days off drink which takes me up to my birthday.

So, what next? I have no intentions of staying off drink forever either, but the days of drinking 5 or 6 days every week are over. I'm also feeling the huge financial benefit and I'm focussing a lot more on paying off debt now than I ever did in the past. This has become a great motivator for me.

On the few occasions that I did drink in March I only had a few pints on each occasion, nothing excessive, partly through fear of the slippery slope, partly to regain & test my self control. On April 1st I had a night out with my mates and that turned into a session, next day I felt worse that I remember feeling for a long time so I didn't have the slightest notion for a drink even though it was a bank holiday Monday and drinking on that day would have previously been the norm.

A few others I know who have cut down the drink, usually for health reasons, have gone for either wine & soda or spirits like soda water lime and Vodka or Gin & Slimline Tonic.

I'm aiming to be able to drink on special occasions and maybe 2 or 3 days per month going forwards (after my 90 days). The weekend after payday to go out for a nice meal & drinks with Mrs fatrab, a day out with friends and maybe a midweek drink with work colleagues on a once-a-month basis.

Best wishes
    Last edited by fatrab; 12-04-2018 at 11:13 AM.
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    August targets - 28 AFDs, 28 TAFDs
    New challenge from 10th July - Lose 1 pound per week for 10 weeks!
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 12th Apr 18, 11:31 AM
    • 849 Posts
    • 2,661 Thanks
    fatrab
    Also, something you may want to consider for the T2 is 16:8 intermittent fasting. There's loads of youtube vids on it but the one I can relate to most is Dr Eric Berg's.

Hope this helps
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    August targets - 28 AFDs, 28 TAFDs
    New challenge from 10th July - Lose 1 pound per week for 10 weeks!
    • cathybird
    • By cathybird 12th Apr 18, 12:07 PM
    • 3,149 Posts
    • 12,223 Thanks
    cathybird
    Talking of drinking twins I seem to be twinned with cathybird numbers wise but she will be whopping my a** this month I feel as I have a few nights out planned.
    Originally posted by Baileysonice
    Oh well Baileys, you never know! I went for drinks with a friend yesterday so who knows.

10/21 for me today tho please
    No. 15 in Save 12K in 2018. £5,482.91/£12,000
    2017: £12,978.51/£12K 2016: £20,880.11/£15K 2015: £25,464.86/£10K
    Aug AFDs: 14/21. 2018 AFDs: 193/260. 2017: 306/252
    Mortgage 1/6/18: £46,436.38. £43,899.97 Paid off: £2,536.41
    • Baileysonice
    • By Baileysonice 12th Apr 18, 12:11 PM
    • 428 Posts
    • 3,129 Thanks
    Baileysonice
    I think my update was missed (5/15). No update for last night as OH asked me if I wanted a drink and I stupidly had one (two actually). Very annoyed with myself this morning even though I enjoyed them. I can still make target this month by not drinking Mon-Thur so I am going to work very hard towards that and NO midweek drinking!
    Originally posted by ElusiveLucy
    Apologies Lucy all sorted
    • Baileysonice
    • By Baileysonice 12th Apr 18, 12:29 PM
    • 428 Posts
    • 3,129 Thanks
    Baileysonice
    As a long time lurker of many years I wanted to thank everyone who posts on here for the inspiration and support you provide even if I havenít posted I have read ALL the posts.
    Well I wanted to share my story to show that it can be done although how I have managed it I am not sure!? My drinking habits have been steadily getting worse during my adult life progressing from nightly drinking to at a peak of 8 to 10 pints every school night and Friday, Saturday and Sunday nearer 20. Things dragged on for many years and inevitably the Type II diagnosis arrived. Anyway a change in jobs and a very happy and stable relationship and Dry January led me to decide I would do Dry January 2018. Incredibly January passed without incident and a few social occasions without drinking and Dry January becomes Dry February and then Dry March and today I have reached 100 days sober!

The benefits havenít been as noticeable as I thought albeit the extra cash has made a noticeable difference mainly on my credit cards. I am now looking at low carb option to help the T2 and weight loss.

BUT the reason for the post is, knowing what a wealth of experience there is on here , I wanted to ask a question. What Next? I donít like the thought of no more drinking forever. I am scared that a few pints could easily lead back and could I do it again? Do I change (this is my favoured choice) from pints of beer to a glass or two of something else to relax ie. Spirits. And use that to unwind at weekend knowing that is better for T2 but limiting it to a set amount at weekends? Do I carry on and see how far I can get? 200 days isnít that far away?

What do people think and what have people find works? Many thanks for reading and more importantly thank you all for posting. It really does make a difference.
    Originally posted by steveh68
    Thanks for the post Steve and congratulations on 100 days

Its an interesting question you pose and I am sure most drinkers see the moderation route as the ideal goal but is it possible? I personally think that if I did not consciously set a target and work towards it every month then I would very soon slip back to daily drinking with all the down sides that came with that for me. I do look forward to my days I am out socially and enjoying a drink but I also enjoy waking up with no after effects after an AF day and being able to go out to non drinking events without panicking that I am wasting drinking time.

I am planning on seriously reducing my intake for all this year then see how I am feeling after this time. I don't want to give up totally although I can see that in some way this is an easier option when it comes to decision making. So for now I am going for highly controlled moderation and it suits me.

Why not go for 200 and review again then
    • maman
    • By maman 12th Apr 18, 4:37 PM
    • 18,211 Posts
    • 108,914 Thanks
    maman
    Hi Maman There is a family issue I'm not able to control which is causing huge problems. I fell spectacularly off the wagon one night with the drinking. I'm going to admit maudlin and weepy drunk which I then suffered for all the next day. It appears that when I have too much on my plate, my go to is still the bottle. I'm trying not to feel bad about the drinking as I've regained control, again this thread has made me reflect and think.

You've done well to take back control arkers. I hate having 's*d it' days yet I can drink happily on days I've planned.

hello steve.

Between you and me even though I haven't posted for ages on a certain healthy lifestyle thread. I've still managed to keep off all my weight, so glass half full!

Arkers x

steve, this post from arkers is about the weight we've both managed to lose and keep off with Slimming World. I am a convert and, if I'm honest, it's keeping the calories under control that motivates me most to cut down drinking. It's a healthy eating plan (including carbs) that allows a set number of treats per week which if you choose (like me) can be used for alcohol. So I came on this thread first to make sure I was able to cut down drinking then moved on to tackling the unhealthy eating habits. As HB would tell you it's always best not to tackle everything at once. So, now you know you can cut down drinking you're ready to tackle the weightloss. As a guide on SW you could have 35 gins with slimline tonic a week! although I wouldn't necessarily recommend that. Personally, I'd go for abstinence during the week and some booze and treat food at weekends. A SW group may not be for you but you could get the books and if you like follow the SW thread on here. Good Luck!

No drinking here today.

7/10 AFDs please Baileys.

and I claim my dancing monkey!!
    • Itisme
    • By Itisme 12th Apr 18, 10:53 PM
    • 126 Posts
    • 759 Thanks
    Itisme
    10/12 please.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,730Posts Today

7,063Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin