Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 30th Jan 18, 2:46 PM
    • 7,157Posts
    • 54,539Thanks
    shaggydoo
    Cutting Down Alcohol Thread (Part 15)
    • 30th Jan 18, 2:46 PM
    Cutting Down Alcohol Thread (Part 15) 30th Jan 18 at 2:46 PM
    Hi Guys,

Sadly we lost our thread and I don't personally keep a private record of others AFDs so all data on the old thread is gone.

I've decided I'm going to bow out for a while as I'm actually pretty busy here in RL. And my life is about to get really hectic as I'm moving home....Also it will be hard to have challenges if data is getting lost. Sorry guys.

....It's been great...maybe I'll be back in a few months...

Ta Ta For Now.

Shaggyx

Welcome. Here we are again, time for a new thread, new starts and new challenges.

Let's take a trip down memory lane and remind ourselves of In Search Of Me's (ISOM) original post in Part 1:

24th February 2008

Quote:
    In Search Of Me "There are a few of us who want to give up/cut down & I thought it would be good to widen the net to support each other along the way!
    For me alch & feeling good for the time I'm drinking & then rubbish after go hand in hand. A bit like drinking & smoking & drinking & getting the munchies! Last year I gave up alch & fags for 10 months & then "slipped" towards Christmas until by Jan I was doing both with alarming regularity. I dread to think how much both cost me financially and I know physically that I've felt rubbish. My lungs hurt, have put on weight & literally none of my clothes fit so I will have to buy more - which means a dent in my budget that I can ill afford. My skin is also yukky & much nicer when I dont drink/smoke!
    I had my last ciggies the night before last & last wine on Tues. I know I will feel 100% better when I crack it but also know it will be hard. One disadvantage here is that all too often DFW "parties" tend to involve alcohol so I'm also hoping that this can possibly be a safe haven for those of us who want, or need, to abstain, for now at least!
    Anway - I hope that this can be a place of real support for people who are sturggling. I do wonder whether there is a link between debt & drinking as from the Jan thread it was obvious that so many struggle to give up! Plus I know for me that I feel much hapier and in control when I dont drink (or drink in moderation) - which of course begs the question "why do I do it?"! Anyway, I do but will now try not t ad hope some of you wil join in. Some days I know I wil fail, just as I do with my debt free journey and I am more than happy to be given a swift (but nice!) kicking when I do! Hugs all and dare I say... but this time with water!!
    And here's what she started!!! :

Part 13 is Here

Part 12 is HERE

Part 11 is HERE

Part 10 is HERE

Part 9 is HERE

Part 8 is HERE

Part 7 is HERE

Part 6 is HERE

Part 5 is HERE

Part 4 is HERE

Part 3 is HERE

Part 2 is HERE

and the original starting thread is HERE

Here is a post from back on thread 1 or 2.

Quote:
    Springwatch Girl Well, week 5 of no alcohol and I see a different person in the mirror. My eyes no longer look dull and vacant, they actually have a little sparkle and my skin doesn't look like uncooked pastry anymore. I feel that I have won a battle but not yet the war. Hope everyone else is at the point they want to be, I never want to be that person I was, I have been tempted but I just think back to what I had become. The sun is shining at the moment and I feel good and want to continue to have the sun in my life"

Good Luck Everyone!

Shaggyx
    Last edited by shaggydoo; 24-07-2018 at 7:37 AM.
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
Page 156
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 10th Nov 18, 9:02 AM
    • 7,157 Posts
    • 54,539 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    Weekend Challenge 9th and 10th November
    CuppaTea /2

Fab /2
    NicNak 1/2
    Shaggydoo 1/2

Anybody else?
    Last edited by shaggydoo; 11-11-2018 at 1:48 PM.
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 10th Nov 18, 9:05 AM
    • 7,157 Posts
    • 54,539 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    Monthly Challenge : November 2018
    November 2018

= 7 Days

= 14 Days

= 21 Days

= 28 Days

= 30 Days

= Target Reached

= Target Beaten

AnnieG 7/21
    Arkers 8/10
    Barney 8/21

BestLifeNow /30

Billy2Shots
    CathyBird 8/21
    CuppaTea 7/30
    Fabrab 8/26
    Glenda 10/25
    GreenKaren 8/29
    Honey Bear 10/30

MaggieM 4/14
    Maman 7/10

Miss P /20
    Nicnak 7/30

Pricey 6/22

S1n25 4/27

Season of Mist /27
    Shaggydoo 9/21

Sukeyboo 4/12
    TammyKitty 8/27

WannaBeeFree /10

Please let me know if I've made a mistake!

Everyone Welcome Anytime of the Month!
    Last edited by shaggydoo; 11-11-2018 at 2:00 PM.
    • cathybird
    • By cathybird 10th Nov 18, 9:09 AM
    • 3,299 Posts
    • 13,239 Thanks
    cathybird
    Today's not an AFD for me as I am having lunch with friends at a restaurant, really looking forward to it. I did realise something - I was thinking about the rest of the year, and the annual challenge, only really a tiny handful of drinking occasions to go (another lunch next week, the work Christmas do, a dinner with friends coming up), and I suddenly realised I felt more or less at peace with drinking, and with the relatively small amount I do these days, and that is 100 per cent down to the help and support at this thread. I couldn't think of an occasion this year where I really felt I'd wasted a chance for an AFD, or where I regretted the amount I drank - there was one occasion that was totally over the top but even that felt salutory (and was fun at the time) There's still a few weeks of the year to go obviously but I do feel this thread has helped me reach a place of (more or less) stability - something I could only wish for a decade ago when I was first really trying to cut down. So many many many thanks to this thread, to Shaggy for running it and to all you lovely people who help make it what it is
    No. 15 in Save 12K in 2018. 6,732.53/12,000
    Nov AFDs: 10/21. 2018 AFDs: 263/260. 2017: 306/252
    Mortgage 1/6/18: 46,436.38. 40,700.00 Paid off: 5,736.38
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 10th Nov 18, 9:15 AM
    • 7,157 Posts
    • 54,539 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    I'm not quite sure John Lewis are what they were
    Originally posted by cathybird

I agree with that. On a day a carpet "estimator" was supposed to turn up - he just didn't - I sat in all day (took a day of work) and had to call them at 5. Then I had to call them the day after to rearrange - they didn't call me....I'd have gone else where but they have a colour we want (and where else do you go these days? - carpet right is also on its last legs)

with a house there always seems to be something that needs doing but it would be nice for you if you could have a break from these things sometime soon x

To be honest there are other things that need sorting next year too...so it'll be a while....ommmmmm
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 10th Nov 18, 9:18 AM
    • 7,157 Posts
    • 54,539 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    and to all you lovely people who help make it what it is

I

• cathybird
    • By cathybird 10th Nov 18, 9:20 AM
    • 3,299 Posts
    • 13,239 Thanks
    cathybird
    The thing with the annual, monthly and school night challenges too is they're not a race - and even if they were no one could ever beat the lovely Honey Bear The point really is to feel happy and healthy and in control of our alcohol consumption. It's not necessarily a case of "more is better" since I have always felt maman has one of the sanest approaches to drinking on the thread and yet she doesn't necessarily rack up a massive total of AFDs. I know this is obvious but just wanted to say it anyway since sometimes I think people do feel bad or even leave the thread because they aren't doing many AFDs, or they set a massive target and don't keep to it and then quit, but I wish it wasn't so because a small number of AFDs can lead to a much bigger number of AFDs, if that's what helps, and in any case any AFDs are a good thing on the path to happiness and health. One AFD all year is better than none.

Anyway, I feel rather as though I am rambling but if I could wish anyone on this thread a Christmas present it would be good health and inner peace, a gift this thread over time can really and truly give. xxx
    Last edited by cathybird; 10-11-2018 at 9:30 AM.
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 10th Nov 18, 9:20 AM
    • 7,157 Posts
    • 54,539 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    Ha ha I'm sure that's water in Leonardo's glass....
    • Nicnak
    • By Nicnak 10th Nov 18, 9:20 AM
    • 1,315 Posts
    • 7,051 Thanks
    Nicnak
    I agree, the lack of judgement here and helping us get through tough times help.

I have no idea what the future holds for my allergies and this keeps me alcohol free! x
    September 6th 2017 - Updated 21st Oct
    Credit Card 0 now: 0 Tesco Loan 7500 = 0 Consolidation 15,000 = 10,812 Total = 25,330 10,812 59% gone EMF #252 = 1300/1000
    Sealed pot challenge #589
    Pay off all your debts by Christmas #71
    • cathybird
    • By cathybird 10th Nov 18, 9:28 AM
    • 3,299 Posts
    • 13,239 Thanks
    cathybird
    I agree with that. On a day a carpet "estimator" was supposed to turn up - he just didn't - I sat in all day (took a day of work) and had to call them at 5. Then I had to call them the day after to rearrange - they didn't call me....I'd have gone else where but they have a colour we want (and where else do you go these days? - carpet right is also on its last legs)
    Originally posted by shaggydoo

Indeed and JL used to be so reliable! They're still better than many (I think), just showing the strain, along with the other big chain stores.
    • cathybird
    • By cathybird 10th Nov 18, 9:29 AM
    • 3,299 Posts
    • 13,239 Thanks
    cathybird
    Ha ha I'm sure that's water in Leonardo's glass....

ha ha, yes some sort of mocktail perhaps
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 10th Nov 18, 9:37 AM
    • 7,157 Posts
    • 54,539 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    The point really is to feel happy and healthy and in control of our alcohol consumption.

That's true!

But I also need to cut down on our spend on alcohol to retire...back in 2010 OH and I averaged 6 a month on alcohol in our food shop, in 2009 it was 8 a month....alcohol was a special treat as we paid off our mortgage....I don't know if we can get back there but we need to be doing better....
    • cathybird
    • By cathybird 10th Nov 18, 11:44 AM
    • 3,299 Posts
    • 13,239 Thanks
    cathybird
    That's true!

But I also need to cut down on our spend on alcohol to retire...back in 2010 OH and I averaged 6 a month on alcohol in our food shop, in 2009 it was 8 a month....alcohol was a special treat as we paid off our mortgage....I don't know if we can get back there but we need to be doing better....

Yes, that's another factor, life gets a lot cheaper if you cut back on booze. It's a win-win.
    • Arkers
    • By Arkers 10th Nov 18, 12:17 PM
    • 767 Posts
    • 6,011 Thanks
    Arkers
    Good afternoon everyone,
    8 please Shaggy
    Arkers
    • maman
    • By maman 10th Nov 18, 12:19 PM
    • 18,707 Posts
    • 111,702 Thanks
    maman
    Thank you so much for your kind words cathy.

You're right that I don't set a massive target as I know I'm more suited to achievable SMART targets than aspirational. My maxim is 'meet it or beat it' and looking at my yearly average I've done that. I also know that I enjoy a drink and have to have a plan that fits in with RL. And I've found my stop button so on the days I drink I know when I've had enough. So all good.

That's all good for me but if there's anything this thread has taught me is that we're all different so what works for me isn't necessarily right for everyone else. What we do share is a wish to be in control of our drinking rather than vice versa.

Must dash. Off to football in the rain. Why???
    • Nicnak
    • By Nicnak 10th Nov 18, 6:44 PM
    • 1,315 Posts
    • 7,051 Thanks
    Nicnak
    8 for me, please.
    2/2 for weekend challenge x
    September 6th 2017 - Updated 21st Oct
    Credit Card 0 now: 0 Tesco Loan 7500 = 0 Consolidation 15,000 = 10,812 Total = 25,330 10,812 59% gone EMF #252 = 1300/1000
    Sealed pot challenge #589
    Pay off all your debts by Christmas #71
    • cathybird
    • By cathybird 10th Nov 18, 8:51 PM
    • 3,299 Posts
    • 13,239 Thanks
    cathybird
    Thank you so much for your kind words cathy.
    Originally posted by maman

All completely true!! xx
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 11th Nov 18, 6:00 AM
    • 1,069 Posts
    • 3,898 Thanks
    fatrab
    Morning! I don't usually post at weekends but my sleep pattern seems to be all over the place at the moment!Think the nerves had the better of me on Friday morning, I was up really early and it's had a knock on effect all weekend.

Anyway, nerves aside I felt the interview went really well and although it won't be confirmed until tomorrow I have been told that I gave a good interview and that I should progress to the next stage in the recruitment process (it has 5 stages and this was only the 2nd part!). Fingers crossed

I also smashed my target at SW yesterday, but when I joined I set my target weight at 14st 13lbs. I thought I would be happy seeing a "14" but now that I'm focussed I want to see the next number down!! 11lbs to go!

Honey Bear, love the comment about folk transforming their lives. At the beginning of this year my finances were a mess, I was 17.5 stone and drinking like a fish. You need to be in the right frame of mind to get things sorted, and have a little bit of luck too. When things outwith your control go wrong, it is very easy to let the things that you do have control of slip .

Dropped a day yesterday, went out for a meal in the afternoon and had a few drinks, was home by 7 and as I don't keep any drink at home there was no temptation to carry on, so not feeling guilty in the slightest.

10/26,
    1/2 weekenders
    and calling an early 1/5 for the school night challenge this week
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    Challenge - be 14 Stone BY XMAS!

• cathybird
    • By cathybird 11th Nov 18, 9:25 AM
    • 3,299 Posts
    • 13,239 Thanks
    cathybird
    Morning all, 9/21 for me today please
    • GlendaSugarbean
    • By GlendaSugarbean 11th Nov 18, 10:18 AM
    • 262 Posts
    • 1,865 Thanks
    GlendaSugarbean
    Wise words from everyone on cutting down . What counts as sensible drinking is different for everyone. At the moment I'm much happier being AF but that could well change in the future. The most positive thing for me is feeling in control on the choices I make.

11/25 for me so far . Can I sign up for 5/5 for the SNC as well?
    • Green Karen
    • By Green Karen 11th Nov 18, 10:55 AM
    • 298 Posts
    • 2,623 Thanks
    Green Karen
    Sorry Shaggy a bit behind with posting.
    5/5 SNC
    2/2 WE
    10/29 AF

Can I sign up for the SNC for the coming week please?

Not been able to catch up properly on posts, so can't remember who commented on what, but it's nice to see such encouragement. It is so true that people disappear when they aren't doing well, as I have done it so many times. But it's best to keep in touch to get back on the straight and narrow sooner. I for one certainly need all the help I can get when times are bad, any help to get a bit of control has got to be good and shouldn't involve any guilt - words easily said. I know I feel dreadful when I lose a whole month to alcohol and disappear!

I don't have any particular future plans with drinking right now and don't feel ready to make any at the present time. I am now on 41 days without alcohol. I never really overdrink at one time as unfortunately (or fortunately in the case of alcohol) I have a phobia about vomiting, so always hit stop long before I get there. But I can easily slip back into 2 glasses of wine every night.

But on the positive side, I am now not automatically thinking of pouring a glass when I settle for my evening meal, this took a while.

I am also left wondering what I needed it for. I don't feel any great burden in my life now I am without it so it wasn't helping me cope, so what did I get from it? Also I am not the sort of person who goes to these social occasions when you are in a position where you need confidence to get through the night. So I can only assume it was a habit I got into, albeit a bad one that didn't really offer a lot.

Sorry for rambling, just thoughts of the day for me.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

114Posts Today

1,677Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've just heard about the 8 month pregnant woman shot through the stomach by a crossbow. Its both evil and medie? https://t.co/hQTOxWiXhj

• Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Follow Martin