Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 30th Jan 18, 2:46 PM
    • 7,171Posts
    • 54,611Thanks
    shaggydoo
    Cutting Down Alcohol Thread (Part 15)
    • 30th Jan 18, 2:46 PM
    Cutting Down Alcohol Thread (Part 15) 30th Jan 18 at 2:46 PM
    Hi Guys,

Sadly we lost our thread and I don't personally keep a private record of others AFDs so all data on the old thread is gone.

I've decided I'm going to bow out for a while as I'm actually pretty busy here in RL. And my life is about to get really hectic as I'm moving home....Also it will be hard to have challenges if data is getting lost. Sorry guys.

....It's been great...maybe I'll be back in a few months...

Ta Ta For Now.

Shaggyx

Welcome. Here we are again, time for a new thread, new starts and new challenges.

Let's take a trip down memory lane and remind ourselves of In Search Of Me's (ISOM) original post in Part 1:

24th February 2008

Quote:
    In Search Of Me "There are a few of us who want to give up/cut down & I thought it would be good to widen the net to support each other along the way!
    For me alch & feeling good for the time I'm drinking & then rubbish after go hand in hand. A bit like drinking & smoking & drinking & getting the munchies! Last year I gave up alch & fags for 10 months & then "slipped" towards Christmas until by Jan I was doing both with alarming regularity. I dread to think how much both cost me financially and I know physically that I've felt rubbish. My lungs hurt, have put on weight & literally none of my clothes fit so I will have to buy more - which means a dent in my budget that I can ill afford. My skin is also yukky & much nicer when I dont drink/smoke!
    I had my last ciggies the night before last & last wine on Tues. I know I will feel 100% better when I crack it but also know it will be hard. One disadvantage here is that all too often DFW "parties" tend to involve alcohol so I'm also hoping that this can possibly be a safe haven for those of us who want, or need, to abstain, for now at least!
    Anway - I hope that this can be a place of real support for people who are sturggling. I do wonder whether there is a link between debt & drinking as from the Jan thread it was obvious that so many struggle to give up! Plus I know for me that I feel much hapier and in control when I dont drink (or drink in moderation) - which of course begs the question "why do I do it?"! Anyway, I do but will now try not t ad hope some of you wil join in. Some days I know I wil fail, just as I do with my debt free journey and I am more than happy to be given a swift (but nice!) kicking when I do! Hugs all and dare I say... but this time with water!!
    And here's what she started!!! :

Part 13 is Here

Part 12 is HERE

Part 11 is HERE

Part 10 is HERE

Part 9 is HERE

Part 8 is HERE

Part 7 is HERE

Part 6 is HERE

Part 5 is HERE

Part 4 is HERE

Part 3 is HERE

Part 2 is HERE

and the original starting thread is HERE

Here is a post from back on thread 1 or 2.

Quote:
    Springwatch Girl Well, week 5 of no alcohol and I see a different person in the mirror. My eyes no longer look dull and vacant, they actually have a little sparkle and my skin doesn't look like uncooked pastry anymore. I feel that I have won a battle but not yet the war. Hope everyone else is at the point they want to be, I never want to be that person I was, I have been tempted but I just think back to what I had become. The sun is shining at the moment and I feel good and want to continue to have the sun in my life"

Good Luck Everyone!

Shaggyx
    Last edited by shaggydoo; 24-07-2018 at 7:37 AM.
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
Page 155
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 9th Nov 18, 11:43 AM
    • 5,374 Posts
    • 53,183 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Caught up. Thanks Maggie M; yes, it's all good stuff, but very time consuming to get it absolutely right - a lot of attention to detail on two huge projects that I feel very committed to being involved in.

NicNak it sounds as though you're still reeling from the sepsis and the knock on realisations about where your life was headed and where you want it to go. It's a tricky thing, transitioning from an old life into a new one but it is always worth it - you won't regret doing it but afterwards it will become clear why it was so complicated to navigate the hazards. People often think they're helping by advising you to do what they would do in the circumstances, but as I've recently discovered, actually, I feel a much greater sense of fulfillment when I can do it my way. S*it or bust, I know what I want to do and I know exactly how I want to achieve it - what other people offer as help is often a hindrance, so I'm flying solo right now - it feels so liberating!

Someone wiser than me said recently: 'It'll all work out in the end. If it hasn't worked out yet - it's not the end.'

Huge goodluck with the interview FatRab. It's interesting that quite a few people are going through interviews at the moment on this thread. People transforming their own lives - I love it.

I needed a break. Back to being busy for the rest of the day.

9/30 please, Shaggy.
    Last edited by Honey Bear; 10-11-2018 at 8:43 AM.
    Keeping it AF
    • Nicnak
    • By Nicnak 9th Nov 18, 12:27 PM
    • 1,340 Posts
    • 7,221 Thanks
    Nicnak
    Thank you so much Honey bear. It makes perfect sense to me x
    September 6th 2017 - Updated 21st Oct
    Credit Card 0 now: 0 Tesco Loan 7500 = 0 Consolidation 15,000 = 10,812 Total = 25,330 10,812 59% gone EMF #252 = 1300/1000
    Sealed pot challenge #589
    Pay off all your debts by Christmas #71
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 9th Nov 18, 12:46 PM
    • 7,171 Posts
    • 54,611 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    sorry, should have been specific x
    Originally posted by Nicnak

Ha ha so many challenges on the go....
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 9th Nov 18, 12:50 PM
    • 7,171 Posts
    • 54,611 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    School Night Challenge 04/11/18 to 08/11/18
    Annie 4/4
    CuppaTea 4/5

FabRab 5/5
    Green Karen 4/5

Maggie 4/4

Maman 5/3
    Nicnak 2/5
    PollyAnna 4/5
    Shaggy 5/5
    TammyKitty 3/4

WBF /4
    Last edited by shaggydoo; 10-11-2018 at 9:01 AM.
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 9th Nov 18, 12:51 PM
    • 7,171 Posts
    • 54,611 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    Weekend Challenge 9th and 10th November
    Fab /2

NicNak /2

Shaggydoo /2

Anybody else?
    Last edited by shaggydoo; 10-11-2018 at 9:01 AM.
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 9th Nov 18, 12:54 PM
    • 7,171 Posts
    • 54,611 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    Monthly Challenge : November 2018
    November 2018

= 7 Days

= 14 Days

= 21 Days

= 28 Days

= 30 Days

= Target Reached

= Target Beaten

AnnieG 7/21
    Arkers 7/10
    Barney 8/21

BestLifeNow /30

Billy2Shots
    CathyBird 8/21

CuppaTea 6/30
    Fabrab 8/26
    Glenda 9/25
    GreenKaren 8/29
    Honey Bear 9/30

MaggieM 4/14
    Maman 7/10

Miss P /20

Nicnak 6/30

Pricey 6/22

S1n25 4/27

Season of Mist /27
    Shaggydoo 8/21

Sukeyboo 4/12
    TammyKitty 7/27

WannaBeeFree /10

Please let me know if I've made a mistake!

Everyone Welcome Anytime of the Month!
    Last edited by shaggydoo; 10-11-2018 at 9:04 AM.
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 9th Nov 18, 12:57 PM
    • 7,171 Posts
    • 54,611 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    Well I'm on 26 days in a row - I figure I might as well go for the 30 to complete A Thirty Day Challenge......I doubt I've lost too much weight however, too many sweet delicious things finding their way into my mouth
    • cathybird
    • By cathybird 9th Nov 18, 2:14 PM
    • 3,307 Posts
    • 13,289 Thanks
    cathybird
    Well I'm on 26 days in a row - I figure I might as well go for the 30 to complete A Thirty Day Challenge......I doubt I've lost too much weight however, too many sweet delicious things finding their way into my mouth
    Originally posted by shaggydoo
    Hey well done on the 26 days shaggydoo - very impressive! Re the sweet things, don't feel too bad, yesterday I had three slices of cake and half a biggish block of chocolate They were pretty small slices of cake but even so I suppose I'm not trying to lose weight per se but I am also not trying to put it on. I think it's hard at this time of year in the runup to Christmas and when it's just got cold and dark. The evenings can feel a little comfortless. How's your house btw, is it all sorted out now? ... If you don't mind my asking?
    Last edited by cathybird; 09-11-2018 at 2:17 PM.
    No. 15 in Save 12K in 2018. 6,732.53/12,000
    Nov AFDs: 14/21. 2018 AFDs: 267/260. 2017: 306/252
    Mortgage 1/6/18: 46,436.38. 40,700.00 Paid off: 5,736.38
    • Tammykitty
    • By Tammykitty 9th Nov 18, 2:24 PM
    • 639 Posts
    • 1,312 Thanks
    Tammykitty
    Update for me

4/4 for the SNC
    8/27 for November

If I wasn't driving not sure I would have got through last night - went to a gig for a local singer, and would have loved a cider during it!

3 trips to the pub since Saturday and haven't given in yet!

And on day 4 of no chocolate!
    • AnnieG
    • By AnnieG 9th Nov 18, 5:12 PM
    • 565 Posts
    • 4,138 Thanks
    AnnieG
    Hello
    I had a drink last night, I was feeling thoroughly fed up so had a 'sod it' moment. It's ok, I'm still on 7/21 for the month and there's plenty of time yet.
    I'll be drinking tomorrow as I'm going watch Wales v Australia in the rugby, but will get back on it on Sunday.

Still no job luck, Fatrab I hope your interview went well.
    Say what you mean.. mean what you say... without being mean.
    • CuppaTea
    • By CuppaTea 9th Nov 18, 7:27 PM
    • 854 Posts
    • 6,473 Thanks
    CuppaTea
    Hi well done shaggy for your fabulous 26 days. You’ve done The 30DC without even trying.

I’m on 7/30 Nov, 4/5 SNC, 13/30DC

Will do WNC, both days.
    I'm dealing with stuff.
    • Nicnak
    • By Nicnak 10th Nov 18, 8:03 AM
    • 1,340 Posts
    • 7,221 Thanks
    Nicnak
    7/30 for me please.

1/2 weekend challenge.

Thanks, x
    Credit Card 0 now: 0 Tesco Loan 7500 = 0 Consolidation 15,000 = 10,812 Total = 25,330 10,812 59% gone EMF #252 = 1300/1000
    • GlendaSugarbean
    • By GlendaSugarbean 10th Nov 18, 8:24 AM
    • 269 Posts
    • 1,952 Thanks
    GlendaSugarbean
    10/25 for me today
    • Nicnak
    • By Nicnak 10th Nov 18, 8:27 AM
    • 1,340 Posts
    • 7,221 Thanks
    Nicnak
    7/30 for me please.

1/2 weekend challenge.

Thanks, x
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 10th Nov 18, 8:46 AM
    • 7,171 Posts
    • 54,611 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    How's your house btw, is it all sorted out now? ...
    Originally posted by cathybird

Unfortunately we've discovered there is a leak in our CH system and we dont know where the leak is - so the plumber is back and forward every couple of days - it's not a bad leak so CH is still in operation...we've already had a brand new floor taken up in a bathroom, but it went back fine...next is to drain the CH system and put more Sentinel through the system to try and block the hole...after that we may have to take up our brand new wood floor in our brand new extension...never a dull moment hey?!

John Lewis have told us a carpet we ordered (and paid for) about 6 weeks ago won't get laid until January, still haven't had a delivery date for a bed we ordered (and paid for) from JL about six weeks ago and the decorators are due in a few weeks to do the hall stairs and landing...who knows what joys that will bring?

I am trying to be sanguine...."ommmmm"....
    Last edited by shaggydoo; 10-11-2018 at 8:51 AM.
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 10th Nov 18, 8:50 AM
    • 5,374 Posts
    • 53,183 Thanks
    Honey Bear

Mega! Well done for the 26 and good luck for the next four.

Re the sweet things, don't feel too bad, yesterday I had three slices of cake and half a biggish block of chocolate They were pretty small slices of cake but even so I suppose I'm not trying to lose weight per se but I am also not trying to put it on. I think it's hard at this time of year in the runup to Christmas and when it's just got cold and dark. The evenings can feel a little comfortless. How's your house btw, is it all sorted out now? ... If you don't mind my asking?
    Originally posted by cathybird

Every day's a hard day for me when it comes to sugar. I'm gradually cutting down now, but I'm not losing any weight. However, I'm not putting it on and todays a seriously walking day, so that's going to even things out a bit.

If I wasn't driving not sure I would have got through last night - went to a gig for a local singer, and would have loved a cider during it!

3 trips to the pub since Saturday and haven't given in yet!

And on day 4 of no chocolate!
    Originally posted by Tammykitty

Being the designated driver makes the decision really straightforward, far easier than relying on willpower alone. I always offer to drive; even now it works for me. It puts me in control too - OH is very, very sociable when he's had drink or two and if he's reluctant to leave I just tell him I'll pay if he wants to stay and get a taxi home, but I'm leaving Now. He's never got the taxi back! It used to take me an hour to extricate him and he was always the last to leave a party. Not any more. Tee hee.

Sorry about the job front, AnnieG. It'll happen - persistence pays off. We're all rooting for you.

10/30 please, Shaggy.
    Keeping it AF
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 10th Nov 18, 8:56 AM
    • 7,171 Posts
    • 54,611 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    Hi well done shaggy for your fabulous 26 days. You’ve done The 30DC without even trying.
    Originally posted by CuppaTea

To be honest I have been trying in a "I won't drink today" sort of way rather than having a target....it's nice to get a lot of AFDs in a row in every now and again (in 2014 I did 119...) That - and my OH has been talking about us retiring in 4 years ish so I really want to get our spending down - in this regard I want my drinking to become a special treat..and then there is the calories....and oh as I get older alcohol seems to agree with me less :-0
    Last edited by shaggydoo; 10-11-2018 at 8:59 AM.
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 10th Nov 18, 8:58 AM
    • 7,171 Posts
    • 54,611 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    However, I'm not putting it on and todays a seriously walking day, so that's going to even things out a bit.
    Originally posted by Honey Bear

Enjoy! I love walking....
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 10th Nov 18, 9:01 AM
    • 7,171 Posts
    • 54,611 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    School Night Challenge 04/11/18 to 08/11/18
    Annie 4/4
    CuppaTea 4/5

FabRab 5/5
    Green Karen 4/5

Maggie 4/4

Maman 5/3
    Nicnak 2/5
    PollyAnna 4/5
    Shaggy 5/5
    TammyKitty 4/4
    Last edited by shaggydoo; 11-11-2018 at 1:47 PM.
    • cathybird
    • By cathybird 10th Nov 18, 9:01 AM
    • 3,307 Posts
    • 13,289 Thanks
    cathybird
    Unfortunately we've discovered there is a leak in our CH system and we dont know where the leak is - so the plumber is back and forward every couple of days - it's not a bad leak so CH is still in operation...we've already had a brand new floor taken up in a bathroom, but it went back fine...next is to drain the CH system and put more Sentinel through the system to try and block the hole...after that we may have to take up our brand new wood floor in our brand new extension...never a dull moment hey?!

John Lewis have told us a carpet we ordered (and paid for) about 6 weeks ago won't get laid until January, still haven't had a delivery date for a bed we ordered (and paid for) from JL about six weeks ago and the decorators are due in a few weeks to do the hall stairs and landing...who knows what joys that will bring?

I am trying to be sanguine...."ommmmm"....

Oh, sorry to hear about all that shaggy - sounds like a complete pain, on top of all the other disruption I'm not quite sure John Lewis are what they were - they've had some financial struggles in recent years, along with the other big chain stores - it's only a tiny thing but Waitrose seems to have stopped producing the own brand coffee I used to buy, which makes me think they are struggling with margins and cutting back (probably on staff as well, which might be behind the delays with your items). I hope the leak etc gets fixed soon - with a house there always seems to be something that needs doing but it would be nice for you if you could have a break from these things sometime soon x
    No. 15 in Save 12K in 2018. 6,732.53/12,000
    Nov AFDs: 14/21. 2018 AFDs: 267/260. 2017: 306/252
    Mortgage 1/6/18: 46,436.38. 40,700.00 Paid off: 5,736.38
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

179Posts Today

1,158Users online

Martin's Twitter