Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • moneysaverz83
    • By moneysaverz83 30th Jan 18, 12:11 PM
    • 84Posts
    • 10Thanks
    moneysaverz83
    Unsolicited message?
    • 30th Jan 18, 12:11 PM
    Unsolicited message? 30th Jan 18 at 12:11 PM
    I was after some yay/nay advice please.

I've been to a monthly creative evening class the last couple months. It's advertised on FB and elsewhere, though I'm pretty Private so I don't mark myself as attending as I believe that gets on the newsfeed?

I go because I enjoy it. Also, I'm single, so if I met someone there like minded, great especially as I can initially be reserved.

Last time, I was sat next to a nice girl and we exchanged a few words.

There was someone who really caught my eye further up the table and I caught her looking at me quite a bit and smiled. She was there with a female friend.

Of course, she could be thinking 'whos that ugly chap there', but hopefully it wasn't that.

I noticed she was down as attending the last event, but not the one in under a couple weeks.

So if she goes, I would be interested in chatting to her.

If she doesn't, would it be odd dropping her a quick/friendly massage via FB?

I mean, she could either not like me, not be single, etc... but nothing ventured?
Page 3
    • moneysaverz83
    • By moneysaverz83 14th Feb 18, 10:24 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    moneysaverz83
    Hello again.

Brief look at comments here. Definitely some people that are more forward/brave/younger/less restrained than others in all things social media, contact etc.

I count myself in that category.

Eg - went to a gig this week, unloaded a picture on Instagram of it, then saw that a girl had uploaded a picture, I made a comment About it being a great gig...she goes through various of my other pics, liking them and hits 'follow'. Some may think weird/stalky, I don't think twice, flattered if anything. That's today's connected world...I guess

Not sure why I asked here really, looking at some posts, people (guess a British thing?) are too safe, too cautious etc.

Anyway, went to the class, she wasn't there.

Dropped her a brief/friendly message (BTW, I remembered her name from the class and she was down as attending the last time, nothing odd about that, no stalking/searching involved).

Message hasn't been read. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. Maybe she'll respond negatively (not sure how, I basically said hello, remembered you from before, and mentioned id been to the latest one, type thing), or she may even respond positively.

Either way, if you don't try, you'll never know.

Better to regret things you've done, than regret things you haven't.

Peace
    • moneysaverz83
    • By moneysaverz83 14th Feb 18, 10:29 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    moneysaverz83
    And to clear up, for the poster above, it's a regular class, ie monthly and not weekly regular. I saw two people from about 2 who had been last time. It's not a subscription thing. It gets advertised a month before, people pay and go.

As for making comments on the event page or marking myself as attending...a) have an annoying friend who likes to comment and draw attention to everything like that b) I like the fact I don't know anyone there, means I have no safety net. Plus it's my own little hobby thing
    • moneysaverz83
    • By moneysaverz83 14th Feb 18, 10:33 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    moneysaverz83
    2 from 20 I should have said.
    And this message sending was based on the chance of not seeing her again potentially.... leaving it another month for her not to go along would be too long a gap to message, and she'd have less of a clue about remembering a face etc

Not really going to debate it....opinions are like.....we all have one, even on this subject!

Have a good week
    • moneysaverz83
    • By moneysaverz83 14th Feb 18, 10:38 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    moneysaverz83
    I do think there's a generational thing going on - I wouldn't find it creepy for somebody to find my Facebook page from an event. That's kind of what it's for, isn't it, to see who else is going and have a nosy at their public profiles?!

OP, it sounds like you don't like using Facebook much but you could post a comment or two on the event's page. If your profile is pretty locked down, only what you post on the event would be viewable to the public. If she might like you too, you might find she replies and then you have a conversation started.
    Originally posted by rach_k
    Agreed Rach, thank you
    • moneysaverz83
    • By moneysaverz83 14th Feb 18, 10:41 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    moneysaverz83
    How old are you ? In the modern era of tinder plenty of fish etc This is a perfectly normal thing now.

Chuck her a Facebook add, and leave it if she accepts pm her if she doesn’t just move on
    Originally posted by gycraig
    Agree with the sentiment. Dropped her a messenger message. Would be very unwise to fb friend request her though.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,127Posts Today

7,835Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin