Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bcfclee27
    • By bcfclee27 30th Jan 18, 9:09 AM
    • 185Posts
    • 46Thanks
    bcfclee27
    HSBC Global & VLS60
    • 30th Jan 18, 9:09 AM
    HSBC Global & VLS60 30th Jan 18 at 9:09 AM
    Morning all....

Looking at holding these 2 funds to invest for 15-20 years.
    Couple of questions...

I am 38 so thought VLS60 would be appropriate for age and time in the market etc.

Just need to decide on HSBC Global Strategy - Balanced or Dynamic.

I think the 2 funds compliment each other quite well with the HSBC diluting a bit of the UK Bias of the VLS.

Any recommendations of whether to go with balanced or dynamic ?

Also am going to place these in a General Investment Account until they can go into a S&S ISA. Have used Hargreaves Lansdown before found them easy to use and helpful.

Are they a decent company to use or do people feel their charges are too high and could suggest an alternative.

Thanks for your help
Page 4
    • bcfclee27
    • By bcfclee27 6th Feb 18, 10:05 AM
    • 185 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    bcfclee27
    Quick update....

So I have decided to stick to my hybrids.....

I'm going to open an account with Vanguard today and open a GIA with VLS 60 & VLS 80 giving me a hybrid VLS 70.

I wil then open a Cavendish account and open a GIA with HSBC Balanced & HSBC Dynamic which also gives me a rough 70% equities hybrid.

I will start these off with small opening amounts and look to drip feed over the coming days/weeks/months with an eye on what the prices are doing.
    This current rebalance has definitely given me the nudge to get my investment ball rolling.

By keeping the hybrids it also means I get a balance of corporate and government bonds as well as a mix of UK and US equities.

I also have an eye on Orbis which will further diversify my allocations/portfolio.

Further comments on this are welcomed...

I just want to say a massive thank you to everyone who has contributed to my learning, especially Alexland, Valiantson & Audaxer.
    I'm still very new to this and my understanding is still very small but this board has been so helpful and helped me endlessly with learning about investing.
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 6th Feb 18, 11:14 AM
    • 2,545 Posts
    • 1,928 Thanks
    Alexland
    No problem - sorry I might have forgotten but was there a reason you were not using an ISA/LISA wrapper? Alex
    • badger09
    • By badger09 6th Feb 18, 1:06 PM
    • 5,995 Posts
    • 5,335 Thanks
    badger09
    No problem - sorry I might have forgotten but was there a reason you were not using an ISA/LISA wrapper? Alex
    Originally posted by Alexland
    OP & wife's S&S ISAs already funded this year
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 6th Feb 18, 1:09 PM
    • 2,545 Posts
    • 1,928 Thanks
    Alexland
    Originally posted by badger09
    Thanks it's so hard to keep track of everyone's affairs!
    • badger09
    • By badger09 6th Feb 18, 1:16 PM
    • 5,995 Posts
    • 5,335 Thanks
    badger09
    Thanks it's so hard to keep track of everyone's affairs!
    Originally posted by Alexland
    You seem to manage quite well

I'm retired, so have plenty of time. What's your excuse
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 6th Feb 18, 1:32 PM
    • 2,545 Posts
    • 1,928 Thanks
    Alexland
    You seem to manage quite well

I'm retired, so have plenty of time. What's your excuse
    I do childcare on Tuesdays (and some Mondays) and my toddler son likes to play trains and nap during the day and still sleeps at night. His best friend has chicken pox so we are avoiding her.
    Last edited by Alexland; 06-02-2018 at 1:37 PM.
    • bcfclee27
    • By bcfclee27 6th Feb 18, 1:39 PM
    • 185 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    bcfclee27
    correct they will eventually go in the ISAs but thought better to start now in a GIA than wait for April....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,379Posts Today

9,027Users online

Martin's Twitter