Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JamesScott
    • By JamesScott 29th Jan 18, 8:52 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    JamesScott
    Air Source Heat Pumps vs mains gas + property valu
    • 29th Jan 18, 8:52 PM
    Air Source Heat Pumps vs mains gas + property valu 29th Jan 18 at 8:52 PM
    Hi
    New to forum and subject

Just had quite a convincing presentation re air source heat pumps. Based on mains gas (decent tariff) consumption of £1000 per annum, we look to be moderately better off once subsidy, finance deal and changes in electricity and gas consumption are factored in....idea being we'll need no gas at all except for cooking. Projected (very draft) energy saving (after finance etc) £770ish over 7 years. Plus we'd save on not needing new combi (say £2500), plus British Gas insurance (£350 per year) etc, Looks like about £5770 saving in total

Is this realistic? I guess it would have to be if we convert entire heating system. But I've seen somewhere a downside of ASHPs being lower savings vs mains gas.

Am I missing something here? The ability to junk British gas is £2500-odd alone

Also, any indications on what installing one of these would do to property value (if anything)?

Cheers
Page 1
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 29th Jan 18, 9:04 PM
    • 3,535 Posts
    • 2,188 Thanks
    matelodave
    • 29th Jan 18, 9:04 PM
    • 29th Jan 18, 9:04 PM
    I've got an ASHP because I dont have mains gas. If I had gas, there'd be no contest.

An ASHP is fine if the system is designed properly from the beginning - pipe-work, radiators, hot water tank etc. Just bunging one onto an exitsing system is a recipe for disappoinment.

IMO if you've got mains gas then stay with it as it's probably cheaper to run and you are unlikely to get a return on your outlay on a heatpump system for a very long time (even longer if you've got to finance it as well)
    Last edited by matelodave; 29-01-2018 at 9:11 PM.
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    Look after our planet - it's the only one with beer
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 29th Jan 18, 10:27 PM
    • 27,324 Posts
    • 13,376 Thanks
    Cardew
    • 29th Jan 18, 10:27 PM
    • 29th Jan 18, 10:27 PM
    Absolutely agree with the above.
    • J B
    • By J B 30th Jan 18, 7:48 AM
    • 2,724 Posts
    • 958 Thanks
    J B
    • 30th Jan 18, 7:48 AM
    • 30th Jan 18, 7:48 AM
    Your title mentions 'property value' but then you don't mention that in your message

I would suggest that mains gas heating (everyone has that so purchasers know all about it) would be a better selling point than ASH (folks may be scared of unknown technology?)

???
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 3rd Feb 18, 6:10 AM
    • 25,028 Posts
    • 92,546 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 3rd Feb 18, 6:10 AM
    • 3rd Feb 18, 6:10 AM
    Your title mentions 'property value' but then you don't mention that in your message
    Originally posted by J B
    He does, in the last sentence.

However, I agree that it would put more people off the property than turn them on to it, so it wouldn't be likely to add value.
    'It's a terrible thing to wait until you're ready…..Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.' Hugh Lawrie.
    • c13pep
    • By c13pep 7th Feb 18, 2:51 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    c13pep
    • 7th Feb 18, 2:51 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 2:51 PM
    I would disagree with the notion that an ASHP would put people off, as with most things if you can offer them proof of running costs etc. then as with other things about buying a house it should be looked at objectively. In my own case an estate agent told me that the energy saving technology installed would command a premium as compared to other nearby houses, not least because the, now required, EPC certificate reflects the running costs of a house.
    • Tiexen
    • By Tiexen 7th Feb 18, 3:01 PM
    • 517 Posts
    • 252 Thanks
    Tiexen
    • 7th Feb 18, 3:01 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 3:01 PM
    Hi
    New to forum and subject

Just had quite a convincing presentation re air source heat pumps. Based on mains gas (decent tariff) consumption of £1000 per annum, we look to be moderately better off once subsidy, finance deal and changes in electricity and gas consumption are factored in....idea being we'll need no gas at all except for cooking. Projected (very draft) energy saving (after finance etc) £770ish over 7 years. Plus we'd save on not needing new combi (say £2500), plus British Gas insurance (£350 per year) etc, Looks like about £5770 saving in total

Is this realistic? I guess it would have to be if we convert entire heating system. But I've seen somewhere a downside of ASHPs being lower savings vs mains gas.

Am I missing something here? The ability to junk British gas is £2500-odd alone

Also, any indications on what installing one of these would do to property value (if anything)?

Cheers
    Originally posted by JamesScott
    Not connected with cost but with proper "Air Conditioning" you will be nice and cool in the summer.
    • c13pep
    • By c13pep 7th Feb 18, 3:36 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    c13pep
    • 7th Feb 18, 3:36 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 3:36 PM
    I should have added that in comparison to mains gas then there is no contest as mains gas is by far the cheapest option. Unfortunately I do not have mains gas and cannot get it (I live out in the sticks) but would jump at the chance were it ever to be offered
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 7th Feb 18, 7:45 PM
    • 25,028 Posts
    • 92,546 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 7th Feb 18, 7:45 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 7:45 PM
    I would disagree with the notion that an ASHP would put people off, as with most things if you can offer them proof of running costs etc. then as with other things about buying a houseit should be looked at objectively.In my own case an estate agent told me that the energy saving technology installed would command a premium as compared to other nearby houses, not least because the, now required, EPC certificate reflects the running costs of a house.
    Originally posted by c13pep
    You have more faith than I do in the objectivity of the public, the truthfulness of estate agents and the credence many people give to EPCs, but those things apart, your argument stacks up nicely.
    'It's a terrible thing to wait until you're ready…..Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.' Hugh Lawrie.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

731Posts Today

6,366Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin