Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 29th Jan 18, 8:49 PM
    • 6,316Posts
    • 23,708Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Mummytogirls - taking the scenic route
    • 29th Jan 18, 8:49 PM
    Mummytogirls - taking the scenic route 29th Jan 18 at 8:49 PM
    Evening Diary,

Well there seems to be so many diaries being deleted at the moment I have decided to start a new one to try and preserve my history on here.

My first diary can be found here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2311479&page=265

So I started in March 2010 and it hasn't always been an easy route but weve managed to pay off quite a bit of our debt and we stand at £6069.37 today. We probably could have paid the debt off my now but we are enjoying our life (taking the scenic route) with our two girls (now aged 11 and 9). They are growing up too fast before my eyes, wish time would slow down a bit.

So feel free to join my ramblings... usually about my MSE ways, what I eat and the all important pegging out in the summer .

Mummytogirls xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £5419.83 - 08/04/18 - 76.61% paid off
Page 14
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 30th Jul 18, 12:54 PM
    • 6,316 Posts
    • 23,708 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Afternoon diary,

Day 3 of the kids being at home and I already feel like I need to padlock the fridge and cupboards! Last night after a roast beef dinner and an ice cream without us knowing DD2 had been in the fridge and taken a slice of DH's pizza he was keeping for his lunch today. She was told then about taking food without asking as there is just no need for it. This morning since about 10am she has eaten:
    overnight oats, finished off the box of strawberry crisp cereal, beans on toast, fruit winder and an ice lolly and DD1 just told me a chocolate digestive too! Most of this without my knowledge whilst I was upstairs ironing!
    Ive told them both now they need to start asking before they take things as I'm not having it now. I really don't like this approach but I'm not having them overeating on the good stuff .
    I actually don't know where she puts it, she's like a beanpole. Meanwhile I've had overnight oats and a cup of tea!

Anyway I've caught back up with my ironing this morning, always feel better when I catch back up.

The washing machine is on and I'm just going to have the things over the airer as rain is threatening to start again.

This afternoon I am going to make a cottage pie for tea and a bolognaise for the freezer and just generally keep the house tidy.

Thats about all, hope all ok xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 30th Jul 18, 3:09 PM
    • 9,072 Posts
    • 54,424 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    I feel exactly the same re kids and food. They both won’t stop eating . I’ve just been shopping and spent £50 trying to restock. It probably won’t last 5 minutes either .
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

NSDs achieved in 2018 37/60
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 30th Jul 18, 4:33 PM
    • 6,316 Posts
    • 23,708 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Im pretty sure were not the only ones PLMBL! The thing is if they were hungry you wouldn't mind... I don't think mine have ever felt hunger .

Got all my jobs done as well as mopping the floors. Stuck the washing out for a bit but its now chucking it down so just brought it back in.

Just need to hoover round quickly upstairs and then get ready for spin class.

Today has also been a NSD xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    • loopybecs
    • By loopybecs 30th Jul 18, 4:44 PM
    • 668 Posts
    • 2,528 Thanks
    loopybecs
    My girls are 5 and 3 and both of them eat so much... they’re a healthy weight, and tall, but I still really worry!!! Dreading when they’re older and they can reach the cupboards
    Mortgage: £88,000.00 £86,045.43
    Loan From Parents: £15,300.00 £14,800.00
    Emergency Fund: £450.00/£5,000.00

New Car Fund: £350.00/£6,000.00
    Single mama to 2 little girlies
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 31st Jul 18, 9:28 AM
    • 1,771 Posts
    • 15,649 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    I understand you don't want them to feel the need to ask I always said I'd never be like my parents. However DS is always taking things and leaving them half eaten.

Now they have their own boxes with the weeks 'treats' and things in and once it's gone then it's tough! DS is really bad for eating his share then taking the girls too and not owning up until he has no choice

It makes me feel horrid but it's not even like he eats it! He just takes a bite and leaves it.

Sorry that turned into a rant

Hope the weather has improved there?

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 31st Jul 18, 7:16 PM
    • 6,316 Posts
    • 23,708 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Evening Diary,

Well we have had a lovely day today. Went to a local biggish park with quite a lot of our friends with kids of varying ages. It was so lovely, they all get on so well. We took a picnic and then just bought an ice cream so under £10 spent. This is my kind of day out .
    Didn't get back until after 5 so tea went all to pot and we all had a quick tea instead of the planned tea which we will now have tomorrow.

Becs, just wait until they can reach prepare to up your grocery budget ha!!!

WF, exactly theres no need for it is there! They're own treat boxes is a good idea, although mine would probably just steal from each others or accuse each other

Just a short post from me today, hope all ok xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 1st Aug 18, 11:43 AM
    • 6,316 Posts
    • 23,708 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Morning Diary,

Hope all ok this morning. Cant believe its Wednesday already.

So we are having a chilled out catch up day at home today. Its amazing how quickly the house can get untidy isn't it!
    I have another pile of ironing to do aswell as 2 loads of washing... don't know where it all comes from!

Just done a couple of surveys and I have a bid of one of my eBay items which is good.

Hoping for NSD1 today xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 1st Aug 18, 11:53 AM
    • 4,870 Posts
    • 16,841 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Hope you have a chilled day x
    Be mindful of your self-talk. It's a conversation with the Universe."
    Debt free and saving for my future
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 2nd Aug 18, 1:22 PM
    • 6,316 Posts
    • 23,708 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Afternoon Diary,

Wow its so cloudy but yet so warm here today.

Yesterday was NSD1... today is totally not a NSD as weve just been to do the uniform shopping. £85 later thats literally just the logo'd things we need to have which is a blazer, tie and PE kit. Wow I hope these blazers last longer than one year .

£5 on a scientific calculator, we went for WHSm!th own brand instead of the more expensive ones... hope we don't end up buying twice!

£52 in Mr Al's on the weekly shop.

Were going to nip to Mr T's soon as I noticed they had half price on stationery last week. Looked in the cheap shops and I can't stand cheap pens and WHS was too expensive.

Think il need a lie down by the end of today . It is all budgeted for by the way, still doesnt make it any easier mind .

Happy Thursday all xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 3rd Aug 18, 10:22 AM
    • 6,316 Posts
    • 23,708 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Morning Diary,

Friday already! This week has flown by.
    So after the hefty spends yesterday today will be NSD2 .

I was awake quite early this morning but ended up falling back asleep. I feel really groggy now and I wish I had just got up.

Plans for today are cleaning and ironing.. again! The house feels quite tidy anyway so just a clean round but the ironing seems wild again ha! DD2 has put me and DD1 to shame and her bedroom is already done.

Thats about all from me.

Hope all ok xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    • loopybecs
    • By loopybecs 3rd Aug 18, 3:16 PM
    • 668 Posts
    • 2,528 Thanks
    loopybecs
    Is it bad that I never iron?! On the odd occasion that something needs ironing I go round my mum’s and do it there

Ouch to the school uniform expense!!!
    Mortgage: £88,000.00 £86,045.43
    Loan From Parents: £15,300.00 £14,800.00
    Emergency Fund: £450.00/£5,000.00

New Car Fund: £350.00/£6,000.00
    Single mama to 2 little girlies
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 3rd Aug 18, 5:53 PM
    • 6,316 Posts
    • 23,708 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Evening Diary,

All caught up today and now chilling for the evening.

Whilst out at DD's doctors appointment earlier we called in at the library which we have not done for quite a few years. We just had a mooch around and looked at some of the books. Also found out that they accept donations so going to sort our bookshelves out as the kids have outgrown most of them and they are just gathering dust.

Were booked in at the cinema tomorrow morning for the cheap showing of Sherlock Gnomes! Ive bought popcorn and snacks to take with us already. Just need to pick up some drinks from £land which is right next door!!

Also happy to report that today is NSD2 .

Becs, more or less everything we own needs ironing! Even if I use the dryer as its in the garage so I never catch it in time.

Thats all, hope all ok xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 4th Aug 18, 1:52 PM
    • 6,316 Posts
    • 23,708 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Afternoon Diary,

Back from our morning out with minimal spends. Sherlock Gnomes was good and the cinema which is a new one was nice and had reclining seats too! Cant complain at £3 a ticket.

Spends today are:
    £2 on drinks in £land
    £1.50 on parking
    £16 in boots on suncream, aftersun and face wash (it was a double point day if you spent over £15 too)

I had factored in for a McDs on the way home but no-one mentioned anything so I kept quiet . DH had annoyed me since getting back though as apparently there is nothing in for lunches. Well actually DH there is, there is just nothing you want! Ive told him if he wants specific things for lunch then he needs to plan for them as I do enough with planning for teas, breakfasts, snacks etc!

Just put our chicken into to marinate which is chicken kebab. So looking forward to that, its delicious.

Now contemplating going to the gym to get away from Mr miserable!

Happy Saturday all xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 5th Aug 18, 7:42 AM
    • 6,240 Posts
    • 42,783 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Mr SA is the same with lunches - all week when I'm at work he's happy to just have toast or a cheese sandwich for his lunch as it's easy for him to make - at the weekend he wants cheeseburger and chips, sausage sandwiches, etc, because I'm there to cook it! He starts asking what's for lunch around 11am!

Aside from that sounds like you're having a great summer break
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 £404.08
    Debt £2180
    Weight loss 0/6LBS
    Emergency Fund £4000/£10,000
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 5th Aug 18, 12:08 PM
    • 6,316 Posts
    • 23,708 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Afternoon Diary,

The weather is glorious here today, going to sit out in the garden shortly me thinks! After I've pegged out of course .

So I didn't go to the gym yesterday but I did go for a walk which is better than nothing. The chicken kebab was delicious as always.

So for today, I've got a roast chicken to cook... bad planning in this nice weather but never mind its been defrosted now.
    Got some washing almost done which should dry nicely and thats about it! Unless DH comes up with something like he likes to do when I've got no plans.

SA, must be a man thing! He really annoys me as he costs me more in my quest to try and save.

Think thats all really. Hope all ok xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 5th Aug 18, 12:16 PM
    • 1,771 Posts
    • 15,649 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    What was Sherlock Gnomes like MTG? It's on our family morning this week too I'm tempted to try with the smalls. Your cinema looked fab!

Have a lovely day
    x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 5th Aug 18, 12:22 PM
    • 6,316 Posts
    • 23,708 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    It was really good WF, have you guys seen Gnomeo and Juliet as it follows on from that. It wouldn't matter though if you haven't.
    The particular cinema is brand new within the past few months, it had reclining chairs which I was not expecting for £3 a ticket. The cineworld up the road doesnt have special seats and they're tickets are more expensive!!! xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    • Alice in Poorland
    • By Alice in Poorland 5th Aug 18, 9:26 PM
    • 2,287 Posts
    • 7,964 Thanks
    Alice in Poorland
    Afternoon Diary,

The weather is glorious here today, going to sit out in the garden shortly me thinks! After I've pegged out of course .

So I didn't go to the gym yesterday but I did go for a walk which is better than nothing. The chicken kebab was delicious as always.

So for today, I've got a roast chicken to cook... bad planning in this nice weather but never mind its been defrosted now.
    Got some washing almost done which should dry nicely and thats about it! Unless DH comes up with something like he likes to do when I've got no plans.

SA, must be a man thing! He really annoys me as he costs me more in my quest to try and save.

Think thats all really. Hope all ok xx
    Originally posted by mummytogirls
    Hi mummy, loving the pegging out. It dries in super quick time at the moment doesn't it.

It must be a thing at the moment with OH's, mine is driving me crazy. He is behaving like a nonchalant teenager at the moment.gggrrrrr.

Xx
    DMP with CCCS started Jan'12 £34,906 Jan'13 £31,893 Jan'14 £26,836 Jan'15 £21,894 Jan'16 £16,839 Jan'17 £14,415 Jan'18 £12,938ish! Self managed from Jan'17
    Jan 18- Bcard1 £1102,Bcard2 £4775, C@ptl £2540 ,Ybank £3520,Virgin/MBNA £0,YB1 £0, S@ntader £0, Bcard loan £0,
    DFD - Jan 2027 Nov 2018 Jan 2019 - DFD not sure at the minute!
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 6th Aug 18, 3:34 PM
    • 6,316 Posts
    • 23,708 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Afternoon Diary,

Wow feeling a bit tired today!

So after the glorious day we had had yesterday I promised the girls a trip to the localish (40 mins drive) lido. Got up this morning and it was so cloudy and chilly but they still wanted to go... so we went! They were almost blue by the time they had got out and if it had been nicer weather we would have been there the whole day for sure. Anyway I had my gym membership card which covers all pools and I managed to get DD2 in with her free swims meaning I only paid £3.90 for DD1 and then £6 on ice creams.

On the way back called to the farmshop for sausages, potatoes and salad - £6 spent and then £2.20 in the coop on milk.

Not much else to report from today, just that I will be going to spinning this evening.

Yesterday was NSD3 .

Alice, I think you're right, they're all on one at the moment

Think thats all, hope all ok xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 7th Aug 18, 8:52 PM
    • 6,316 Posts
    • 23,708 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Evening Diary,

Had such a busy day today. Went to visit my Dad's partner who's in hospital following a brain haemorrhage. Don't think I've mentioned it before but she's been in nearly 3 weeks now. Her short term memory is terrible at the moment and she couldn't even remember what she had had for her lunch 20 mins previous. I really hope her memory gets better with time. My Dad said she remembered parts of me being there today and he thinks she seemed better. She thought it was 1980 yesterday . She also can't remember my DD1's name, she can remember lots of other things about her though i.e. which sport she plays. In the grand scheme of things I think she's lucky to be alive.

Had to pay for parking which I had to do on my phone as the machines weren't working. The downside is I don't know when they take the money as the transaction from 2 weeks ago still hasn't come out yet. £11 now outstanding on that.

Other spends for the day were £9 in Mr T's on pizzas and pepperoni for the girls and their friends lunch tomorrow, strawberries, frubes, chocolate spread and ice pops.

I have however saved myself about £30 today. Ive been waiting for the neighbour to cut the girls hair and she keeps letting me down (unsure on how much she would have charged maybe £20)... so I cut it myself . DH has some hair cutting scissors in his hair clippers so I just gave them a trim! I don't think I've done badly tbh and DD1's is really quite thick. It would have been £30 at my hairdressers for a dry cut so thats the amount I'm going with. Might pay myself £30 .

Tomorrow we have no plans as the girls friends are coming round so I am going to get my house straight again and catch up with the ironing. It should be NSD4.

Hope all ok xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,769Posts Today

9,276Users online

Martin's Twitter