Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • deano9133
    • By deano9133 29th Jan 18, 8:31 PM
    • 16Posts
    • 17Thanks
    deano9133
    What was your least favourite subject at school?
    • 29th Jan 18, 8:31 PM
    What was your least favourite subject at school? 29th Jan 18 at 8:31 PM
    Or worst

Mine would have been Spanish or Art didn't enjoy either or good at either.
Page 4
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 1st Feb 18, 8:08 PM
    • 8,660 Posts
    • 14,252 Thanks
    Sleazy
    My school was 'approved'
    ALL subjects were hated by ALL inmates pupils
    Sleazy
    In Vino Veritas, In Aqua Sanitas
    • Anesidora
    • By Anesidora 1st Feb 18, 9:47 PM
    • 487 Posts
    • 636 Thanks
    Anesidora
    History , mainly because the teacher was so good.
    And in the middle of the flood I felt my worth

When you held onto me like I was your little life raft
    Please know that you were mine as well

Drops of water hit the ground like God's own tears
    And spread out into shapes like
    Salad bowls and basins and buckets for bailing out the flood
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 2nd Feb 18, 10:26 AM
    • 4,195 Posts
    • 9,429 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    As for practicing catching and throwing, yes people should practice! If you can't do something in any other subject you would be expected to do homework / practice so you improved. PE is the only subject where people just say they can't do it and then don't try and improve.
    I don't see any reason why people can't practice!
    Originally posted by indesisiv
    I did practice, I went out at weekends and tried to do cross country running, because I was the person that did all their homework, on time and completely and I didn't want there to be subjects where I was bottom of the class.

It made no difference, no amount of practice made me able to run. All it did was ruin my weekends. Half a mile of running left me in a state where my lungs were burning and it felt like I was asphyxiating as I drew in great lungfuls of air but seemed to be getting no oxygen. It was torture, plain and simple. No-one should be made to get themselves into a state where they feel like they are being drowned, it is not character building, it does nothing for the self esteem, all it does is make them (me) resent authority figures and the power they have. This has stayed with me my whole adult life - I don't trust or respect anyone that works in the public sector. Police, council, teachers, you name it. They are all tarred with the "sadist PE teacher" brush.

It's no good saying I should run slower (as has been suggested to me since), to a speed I could maintain, I was already getting told I "wasn't trying" at the speed I was going. I dreaded those days, they contributed nothing to my education, nothing to my adult life, they p[ut me off any kind of "healthy lifestyle" and taking exercise or participating in sports as an adult. But apparently our political masters see all of this as a good thing.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • Alikay
    • By Alikay 2nd Feb 18, 4:28 PM
    • 4,766 Posts
    • 12,871 Thanks
    Alikay
    I didn't like any subject or aspect of school, so it's hard to think what would qualify as least favourite. Probably PE. Outdoors. In January.
    • z1a
    • By z1a 2nd Feb 18, 7:39 PM
    • 1,271 Posts
    • 1,217 Thanks
    z1a
    History , mainly because the teacher was so good.
    Originally posted by Anesidora
    That doesn't make sense.
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 2nd Feb 18, 11:27 PM
    • 27,866 Posts
    • 15,100 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    That doesn't make sense.
    Originally posted by z1a
    Might be confused and think its about your favourite subject.
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 3rd Feb 18, 2:30 AM
    • 706 Posts
    • 1,692 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    Math.....................
    Originally posted by Sal Harper
    s......................
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 3rd Feb 18, 6:51 PM
    • 27,866 Posts
    • 15,100 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    s......................
    Originally posted by NaughtiusMaximus
    They might be american.
    • Ben84
    • By Ben84 4th Feb 18, 12:25 AM
    • 2,933 Posts
    • 3,616 Thanks
    Ben84
    Oh, that's a hard one!

Possibly home economics, the teacher was a tyrant who shouted constantly and the educational content was dismal. We cooked just twice a term! The rest of the time we did things like draw pictures of the food we planned to make or made charts of ingredient options and went around the classroom asking each other which they liked best to make a chart - clearly intended to be inefficient, meaningless time-polyfiller.

Or maybe religious education. We had no real tests or anything, and the teacher had slipped in to total apathy to the entire thing and mostly just played fuzzy old video documentaries.

Maths perhaps, nothing was ever explained in any meaningful way and when asked why we were doing it our teacher would always say "it's in the exam".

History deserves a mention too. Our teacher just recited names, events and dates and we would copy them in to our workbook with no idea what they meant. She also gave out worksheets, photo copies of photo copies of photo copies, they were turning in to something resembling the static on a TV that's not tuned in to anything. I couldn't read half the text, and she would always ask me the answer to the most illegible question. I think she disliked me, still gives me the evil eye all these years later when I occasionally see her at the supermarket

However, art was pretty cool. We made things and the teachers were nice.

Science was taught by a teacher who genuinely liked the subject, we learnt stuff and he did answer questions logically.

Being shy at the time, drama was a bit difficult at times, but actually the teachers liked their subject and it was cool.

Our geography teacher was somewhat unhinged, occasional tyrant moments, but he did make the subject interesting and crazy-days aside, it was a good class.

PE was fun at first, I liked hockey - but then health and safety turned up and our real hockey balls and wooden sticks got replaced with a really soft foam ball (they could at least have used a tennis ball, this thing had the density of a washing up sponge!) and the wooden sticks replaced with flimsy plastic things, effectively the disposable cutlery version of hockey sticks. It was rubbish, you hit the ball and it just mushed in to the grass, or bounced a couple of inches. Awful.

Well, I learnt some things there, some actually intentional, others from how bad it was at times. I don't regret it, but I also don't regret dropping out. I wanted to do my own thing and I think I became more independent because of it.
    • andygb
    • By andygb 5th Feb 18, 12:58 PM
    • 12,309 Posts
    • 27,005 Thanks
    andygb
    Religious instruction, because I didn't agree/believe a lot of it, and kept getting detention for suggesting that all religions and gods were probably just as good as ours.

Maths, because I couldn't understand it, my parents refused to buy me log books and a calculator, and the teacher refused to spend any time helping me.
    I have spent all my life practically working with figures in finance and accounts, which is basically arithmetic.
    • tommix
    • By tommix 5th Feb 18, 1:49 PM
    • 36,485 Posts
    • 145,174 Thanks
    tommix
    Speling and maffs..
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 5th Feb 18, 4:19 PM
    • 3,642 Posts
    • 15,790 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    French probably, I worked so hard at it and could only scrape a pass in any tests. Did my mock GCSE equivalent and got 76%, could not understand how I had improved so much, then realised that the teacher had an issue with me and I was being graded very harshly.

Reflecting back, any subject I didn't like was actually because of the teacher, not the subject. Like Mrs Ryan, I had an outstanding German teacher who we would happily have died for, when I did my A Level equiv, she cried when she saw the paper, we were shellshocked. Despite all of the support she had given us and our own work, none of us could have predicted that the paper was Masters standard We still got decent results though
    A smile costs little but creates much
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

122Posts Today

1,691Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin