Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 29th Jan 18, 7:58 PM
    • 336Posts
    • 375Thanks
    jemreading
    The Debt and I - Take 2
    • 29th Jan 18, 7:58 PM
    The Debt and I - Take 2 29th Jan 18 at 7:58 PM
    Hello,

Something strange has happened.. My spending diary that was titled 'nearly debt free diary' seems to have disappeared..

Back story: I was a lurker on the boards for a bit, made a diary, added to the debt and have now have lost said diary.

Debts are as followed:
    1. B'Credit Card - 1,330 at 18.9% - no chance of a 0% interest free card.
    2. Argos Card - 452.87p. Both 0% interest free. One until July 2018 and one until October 2018. 308.87p of this is my parents. They will be paying me back in June.

The main plan is to pay off the B'Credit first and then take on the Argos card.
    Last edited by jemreading; 29-01-2018 at 8:26 PM. Reason: Update on B'Credit Card
Page 2
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 7th Feb 18, 1:34 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 375 Thanks
    jemreading
    I am not sure if anyone will see this, however, my post count has gone back up and I have checked.. my old diary is now back.. I am very confused!
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 8th Feb 18, 10:43 AM
    • 336 Posts
    • 375 Thanks
    jemreading
    I forgot my lunch. Only realised when me and OH were 3/4 of the way into the walk to work. I will aim for a spend under 5.

It!!!8217;s a pain, so will eat my lunch at dinner as OH is out this evening and would have had to cook a meal for myself.

I also need to consider what to take tomorrow night. I have a leaving dinner/drinks to attend, so will aim for 10 for dinner, 10 for drinks and 5 for a taxi home.
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 8th Feb 18, 8:34 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 375 Thanks
    jemreading
    I got 30 cash out today. This will have to get me through today and tomorrow.

I'm tracking my spending for this month on a spreadsheet now all my direct debits have gone out. The amount I spend on additional food and snack goods is incredible. This is definitely where most of my money goes.

Still waiting for my PA survey money to go into my p'pal account but it's taking a bit of time at the moment.

I'm also meeting friends for coffee at lunch tomorrow. We are trying to encourage each other to spend less so we are going to a cafe where they let you take your own food in We are trying to help someone who is having difficulty controlling their money - I've told them to check out this website and given them some useful tips!
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 10th Feb 18, 11:29 AM
    • 336 Posts
    • 375 Thanks
    jemreading
    I have 3 and a bit of change in my purse from last night.

I paid for dinner/tapas for three of us. My friend owes me 5.80, one paid straight away and the two people who owed me 3.50 paid up.

I spent 17.40 on dinner (so 5.80 each - still 5.80 to come back) 3.05 on a drink and then 5 on going a 3rd on a big bottle of prosecco. I used the money I got back from my friends to pay for the prosecco.

The 3 I have in my purse are going in my Christmas money pot. Will need to crack that open at the end of Feb so I can check how it!!!8217;s going.

Still waiting for my PA survey money to hit my account and will need to check topcashback too.
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 10th Feb 18, 1:47 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 375 Thanks
    jemreading
    Done the shopping for the week. It came to a grand total of 38.28 this is quite good for us seeing as we normally spend 45-55 a week.

We only have one more food shop to do as we are holiday for one week. We have 91.90p left in the food shopping envelope. Next month we will still take the normal amount out so we will have a bigger pot for March.
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 11th Feb 18, 10:24 AM
    • 336 Posts
    • 375 Thanks
    jemreading
    Yesterday was a NSD (other than the planned for shopping spend which came out the monthly food pot)

I frequently have NSD over the weekend as I have my weekends planned out and sometime it involves not leaving the house!
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 15th Feb 18, 10:09 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 375 Thanks
    jemreading
    The weekend was a whole no spend weekend, managed to keep out of trouble!

Me and My OH went out with work friends for lunch on Monday, it cost me 11.60 - I paid for both and my OH is paying for breakfast on Saturday.

I spent 20p on Wednesday to buy a pack of crisps with my lunch. I also spent 3.30 today.

I may need to buy a pack of crisps tomorrow for lunch. I have wraps at lunch but as we go on holiday on Monday we are not doing a full food shop so are trying to get through our main bits. Planned to have stirfry tomorrow and then pizza on Saturday

The food shopping budget has dropped a bit as my OH did a run to Aldi on Monday to get his !!!8220;health!!!8221; snacks that he didn!!!8217;t pick up on Saturday (when we were there he said he didn!!!8217;t want snacks )
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 17th Feb 18, 2:56 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 375 Thanks
    jemreading
    Went out for lunch at work yesterday (OH paid) so I paid for breakfast this morning.

My parents sent me the first direct debit payment for the wedding which has been moved straight into a different savings account.

I have 23 left in my main account and some in my own savings account. I won!!!8217;t really need to spend anymore money this month as I!!!8217;m away next week and then when we return it will be 2 days until payday

I!!!8217;ve been helping some friends who have been struggling recently with their budgets so we all say round together for a quick 30 minutes to discuss things and help encourage each other, which really helped

We won!!!8217;t need dinner or breakfast on Sunday night and Monday morning as we are taking stuff to the hotel with us before we leave the country. My OH will be paying for Petrol and I have a few pounds in my purse to buy a bottle of water at the airport.
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 18th Feb 18, 3:25 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 375 Thanks
    jemreading
    Looking forward to going on holiday tomorrow. No more spending to be done (in pounds at least) and when I return it will be 3 days until payday.

Any left over holiday money will just be rolled over to the next time we need to use Euros. This will be our holiday in October, however, I don't anticipate bringing too much home.

I will try and update as I go along but may be taking a week break.
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 23rd Feb 18, 9:23 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 375 Thanks
    jemreading
    Nearing the end of the holiday and finding time to relax in the hotel. I!!!8217;m pretty sure I!!!8217;ve done over 100,000 steps in 5 days!

Being on holiday has made me realise that I!!!8217;m lucky to be living in the E-Midlands. Prices are much more reasonable!!!

This holiday has been really expensive (although we had the money to do the things we wanted) and I!!!8217;ve started to begrudge paying for meals out!

We went to local supermarkets and brought breakfast supplies and snacks, however, dinner is still coming to about !!!8364;40-!!!8364;60 and that is normally for: two mains, a bottle of water, a glass of wine and two desserts.

We!!!8217;ve done some lovely things on holiday and seen some wonderful things but I am looking forward to getting back home and into the swing of saving again.

My bank account is also ticking along. I have enough change in my purse to get a bottle of water for the car journey home on Sunday and enough money in the food shopping budget to do a week worth of shopping!
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 25th Feb 18, 3:55 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 375 Thanks
    jemreading
    Finally back in the Country. Been back home an hour and have already unpacked, tidied up, went food shopping and put food shopping away.

We spent 45.20 at shopping meaning we have 15.80 left to carry over into next months food budget Happy with that result.

Also going to cash out on topcashback - 10.57 will go straight to wedding savings.
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 26th Feb 18, 9:35 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 375 Thanks
    jemreading
    Put 3 into my Christmas saving jar so have about 56 in there now.

I!!!8217;m just waiting to be paid so I can plan for the next month. I currently have one social budgeted for at 13. Hoping for a quiet month as this month was expensive and jammed packed!
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 2nd Mar 18, 9:06 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 375 Thanks
    jemreading
    All money is in their allocated savings accounts. I have 110 left in my account which is to last me the month. This needs to include: socials, clothing allocation and beauty allocation.

I have cash out to cover: gift fund (mothers day) and travel fund (we are off to a wedding early next month so need to afford: petrol, breakfast and a dinner one evening)
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 10th Mar 18, 10:03 AM
    • 336 Posts
    • 375 Thanks
    jemreading
    Brought my mother!!!8217;s day gift, just need to pick up some flowers. I also have 60 saved for next months wedding, it shouldn!!!8217;t cost too much.

Decided I don!!!8217;t need to get a wedding outfit, I!!!8217;m going to pull something together with what I already have at home. I may make an investment into some sandals as I!!!8217;ll need them for my summer holiday too and hopefully can get away with wearing them at work.

Just got to go food shopping. We have 140 left in the budget for this month.
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 18th Mar 18, 7:19 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 375 Thanks
    jemreading
    Oops, been a bit AWOL for the past week.

All is ticking along nicely. Managed to cash out or PA, which went straight into the wedding fund. Also brought an evening dress for the wedding and my wedding shoes (they were on sale and saved 13) so I used my CC and then transferred some money from the wedding fund to pay this off my CC straight away.

Going out for a meal tomorrow night and a coffee catch up on Wednesday. I have a budget of 20 for this.
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 27th Mar 18, 6:28 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 375 Thanks
    jemreading
    I actually have money left at the end of the month (only like 10 on my debit card - so this money will go to my wedding fund savings)

I also have 4.86 on PA with 3.07 pending. I was lucky today that I made 3.07 on three surveys which is good going. When I have up to 10 I will transfer to paypal and send to the wedding fund.

My OH is also sending me 1,000 for the wedding fund. We are doing a mixture of debt repayment and saving. We tried to focus on just debt reduction but found that it wasn't working for us.

I need to check my spreadsheet and work out spend totals for next month. I know I have: two birthdays, one wedding, a meal and a concert to attend. At the end of the month I also have an afternoon tea/spa day (already paid for)

I should also be getting a small honorarium from work for the next 6 months (I think I'm looking at around 100 a month after tax deductions - I've decided all this will go to the wedding fund)
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 1st Apr 18, 8:36 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 375 Thanks
    jemreading
    I have 11.47 in PA, will leave it for another week and see how it goes.

Spent 42/200 out of the food money pot. Spent 33/40 from the clothing pot.

I still have my direct debits to go out, and then 60 to the travel fund and 60 for the social fund.
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 8th Apr 18, 5:11 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 375 Thanks
    jemreading
    I haven't updated in what feels like ages but in reality is a week.

We did a round trip of 340 miles this weekend to attend a wedding. I spent 46 this weekend, but 15 of that is owed back to me.

Done the food shopping for the week too. It was a grand total of 34.70, which is nice, but we did have a few bits already so we probably saved ourselves 5/10

I have 30 in my purse which needs to get me: a friends birthday card and present, and spending money for social out on Friday. The majority of my weekends in April are busy so not a lot of time to rest.

I have the day off tomorrow after a long weekend of travel (but they day starts with a 5:30am wake up to be at the gym) so hoping tomorrow will be a NSD
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 12th Apr 18, 9:08 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 375 Thanks
    jemreading
    Decided not to attend the social tomorrow after work and to just go home.

Apart from a small budgeted amount where I'm gonna buy my mum her birthday card and ask my friend to be my bridesmaid! Also going to a wedding event but that is free (and may mean free food and samples!)
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 14th Apr 18, 2:31 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 375 Thanks
    jemreading
    I budgeted for my hair cut, so did that today. I never realised that haircuts could be so pricey (33 for a wash and cut) but it needed to be done as I hadn't had one since June last year!

Also did the food shopping, which came to 45. We have 70 in the pot with one weekend to go - the other weekend falls after payday so our payday money will be put in the pot and we'll go again
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

149Posts Today

1,237Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin