MSE News: 'We need to change your meter'...

Comments

• Michaelw
    Michaelw Posts: 296 Forumite
    Hengus wrote: »
    This document suggests that BEIS will not give a final decision on SMETS1 adoption until Mar 18 (page 24):

https://www.smartdcc.co.uk/media/440317/20171016_smets1_planning_conclusions.pdf

Is it possible that you have switched to a supplier that uses the same model of smart meter as your previous supplier?

I was thinking will SMETS1 meters connect to the DCC network through GSM mobile phone signals much as now back to the supplier?

https://www.smartdcc.co.uk/about-dcc/

Mr_Mann wrote: »
    When they invent one which takes a reading once a month I'll say yes. But every half an hour as they currently do is just spying. They will be able to tell when you're at home and when you're not, when you get up in the morning and when you go to bed at night. Just imaging when that gets into the wrong hands as it surely will as no system is completely unhackable (think Spectre and Meltdown for example, not James Bond films but recent security issues threatening nearly all computers, smartphone & tablets worldwide). An Englishman's home is supposed to be his castle, meaning a secure place of refuge, not one where you are being continually monitored. No it's not for me.

It appears that British gas already do this in their terms and conditions.

If you'd prefer us to only take one reading a month, you can write to us or phone us on 0800 980 6121. We'll also collect information about how your smart meter is working (for example, if it has any faults or has been tampered with). And we'll collect other details that help us manage your account and run our business smoothly.

https://www.britishgas.co.uk/products-and-services/gas-and-electricity/our-energy-tariffs/standard/terms.html

What this does highlight is that many of us just don't know what we are (or have) signed up fully.Certainly looking at the DCC infrastructure information is supplied to an number of outside organisations the terms fall short on that point.With so many involved the resulting costs to bills must be a substantial amount also when there is multiple involvment in the past the outcome hasn't been at all positive.It could well be that if there are problems a blame game scenario could rapidly develop.
  • l33tsp33k
    l33tsp33k Posts: 28 Forumite
    edited 31 January 2018 at 4:56PM
    SMETS1 meters will not be software upgradable to support SMETS2, it's technically not possible. And there will likely be no requirement to replace SMETS1 meters if you already have one.

And GCHQ were not very happy with the security standards on SMETS1 meters, so if you already have one - oops.

SMETS1 meters technically could stay "smart" if you move supplier, but at the moment it's unlikely to happen, as most new suppliers are unable to take over an existing smart meter installed by another supplier. So your smart meter becomes dumb again.

The whole smart meter con costing billions of pounds is paid for by you, dear consumer, in higher energy bills, and yet the government persist with their boneheaded and critically flawed plan.

Research shows that the cost of rolling out these meters is going to outweigh any savings from reduced energy consumption for many years to come. The government is trying their hardest through "Smart Energy GB" and their cutesey marketing of "leccy" and "gaz" to persuade you all is well, but not really...

The best thing to do is to refuse to have anything to do with smart meters until the whole mess is unravelled.

See http://www.nickhunn.com/the-uk-may-need-to-replace-20-million-smart-meters/
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Smodlet wrote: »
    Why have the capacity for half-hourly readings unless the intention is to do just that?

The intention is very much to do that as it allows for better demand prediction and for usage to be accurately mapped to the supplier's customer base.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    gadgetmind wrote: »
    The intention is very much to do that as it allows for better demand prediction and for usage to be accurately mapped to the supplier's customer base.

And charged for accordingly, from what I read; another reason to have nothing to do with them. Who do these energy companies think they are? BT back in the 80s with their "peak times" for call charges?
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    And charged for accordingly

Possibly, it depends on your tariff. And if you consume energy at peak times when it's expensive to generate, who do you think should be paying for this energy, you or someone else?
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,076
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    And charged for accordingly, from what I read; another reason to have nothing to do with them. Who do these energy companies think they are? BT back in the 80s with their "peak times" for call charges?

The Government and suppliers want people to think about when electricity should be used and this will lead to the introduction of time of use tariffs. Once people accept 30 minute meter readings, then it should be possible when the sun shines and the winds blow to offer very cheap electricity. Cheap in the sense that it is better to give away the electricity than to pay wind farms to feather the blades on their generators. The downside is than when supply is low then, at peak demand times, people may have to pay more. The challenge is getting this right so that the majority of consumers do not end up paying more than they would do under the present pricing system.
  • Michaelw
    Michaelw Posts: 296 Forumite
    Doorstep salesmen are paid £50k bonuses to flog smart meters: Tactics used to sign up families to the digital energy 'revolution'

Doorstep selling is legal, but remains controversial Complaints from energy customers who feel bullied by high-pressure ractics
    So far around eight million smart meters have been installed in people’s homes

Energy salesmen are being offered commissions of up to £50,000 a year to convince homeowners to install smart energy meters.
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Organisation Representative
    One has to wonder for just how long it will be the customers' choice how often meter readings are sent from these smart meters. Why have the capacity for half-hourly readings unless the intention is to do just that? How long before some government or other decide the customer no longer has any choice about how their usage and therefore their movements are charted?

I trust these things less and less with every word I read on here. Obviously, this will apply to all suppliers, not just to Eon. I think the "smart" thing to do is to refuse them unconditionally. Those who are too lazy to submit monthly meter readings to their providers may pay estimated bills with my blessing.

Hello Smodlet and thank you for replying.

On the half hourly issue, from our end, the more readings we have the better our understanding of how energy is being used at individual properties. As I mentioned yesterday, [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]t[/FONT]his helps us work out how best to set up payment arrangements and to advise customers of ways to save money by saving energy. Having the half hourly option gives customers [FONT=&quot]a choice [FONT=&quot]in the way they want[FONT=&quot] us to [FONT=&quot]look after[/FONT] their accounts.

[FONT=&quot]Malc[/FONT]
    [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to [email protected] This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Hello Smodlet and thank you for replying.

On the half hourly issue, from our end, the more readings we have the better our understanding of how energy is being used at individual properties. As I mentioned yesterday, [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]t[/FONT]his helps us work out how best to set up payment arrangements and to advise customers of ways to save money by saving energy. Having the half hourly option gives customers [FONT=&quot]a choice [FONT=&quot]in the way they want[FONT=&quot] us to [FONT=&quot]look after[/FONT] their accounts.

[FONT=&quot]Malc[/FONT]
    [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

Which is just double-talk for charging more during "peak times". Done with the B.S. All it boils (at consumers' great expense) down to is just another pathetic excuse to charge us more for the same thing. I am already being charged over £100 more per fuel for the next year compared to last year. What do I get out of it? Absolutely nothing except the satisfaction of knowing I am lining some fat cat CEO's ridiculously over-inflated bonus even more than I did last year.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure