Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mahsroh
    • By Mahsroh 29th Jan 18, 3:58 PM
    • 339Posts
    • 330Thanks
    Mahsroh
    Who's right here? Me or Letting Agent?
    • 29th Jan 18, 3:58 PM
    Who's right here? Me or Letting Agent? 29th Jan 18 at 3:58 PM
    Conversation went briefly as follows over the phone:

Me "Is everything set for Wednesday?"
    LA "yes, the tenants have signed the tenancy agreement and paid their first months rent and deposit and are ready to move on Wednesday"
    Me: "Great, when did you receive the deposit?"
    LA "they paid it when they came in on Saturday"
    Me: "Good stuff, so we need to make sure it's protected 30days from Saturday at the latest"
    LA "No, it's 30 days from the start of tenancy"
    Me: "Are you sure? That's not how I understand it!"
    Conversation goes on, they're adamant they're right, I'm adamant I'm right........

Who is right? I'm hoping my letting agents will get it sorted within the next week anyway so it will be a moot point, but would like to know just in case they do start to drag their heels!
Page 3
    • Mahsroh
    • By Mahsroh 30th Jan 18, 12:17 PM
    • 339 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    Mahsroh
    If they need you to "tell" them I don't understand why you bother with them at all. It sounds as if you are doing all the work so why pay a bunch of incompetents when you can do a much better job? To say nothing of the time and possible stress you would save yourself not having to deal with morons who might land you in court, if they are incompetent enough. Just a thought.
    Originally posted by Smodlet

You are quite right. I haven't decided what to do yet. I'll get the tenants in first, then decide what to do about the letting agent.

I ended up doing everything myself with my previous tenants because the letting agent (not the same one) was so useless. The only thing is, I do live 150miles away from the property so there are occasions where it's just easier to ring the letting agent and say "sort this problem out".

But I certainly agree..... not a good start.... and this is a large national company too, as were the previous ones!
    • G_M
    • By G_M 30th Jan 18, 12:47 PM
    • 43,805 Posts
    • 51,781 Thanks
    G_M
    .... The only thing is, I do live 150miles away from the property so there are occasions where it's just easier to ring the letting agent and say "sort this problem out".
    Originally posted by Mahsroh
    It's certainly easier to self-manage if you live locally.

But you can deal with most issues if you have a list of local contacts you trust. So a reliable sparkie, an odd-job-man, a plumber, a gas engineer etc.

Helpful tenants is a plus too. So if they have a problem, will they take a photo and sent it to you so you can get a rough idea before calling out the relevant contractor?
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 30th Jan 18, 12:54 PM
    • 5,289 Posts
    • 7,420 Thanks
    deannatrois
    I would be thinking why am I paying them a percentage of the rent if I have to research everything they say to make sure they are doing it right and not landing me in trouble? How do I trust them when I can easily see how much they don't know?

What have the tenants paid, exactly. Was it just a holding deposit? How do I trust they have paid the whole amount before being given the keys given what has happened so far? What if they give the money to that person you spoke to rather than the manager? What are they being told (ie. do the tenants know what their rights and obligations are given the agency don't seem to know what anyone's rights and obligations are)?
    • Mahsroh
    • By Mahsroh 30th Jan 18, 12:56 PM
    • 339 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    Mahsroh
    It's certainly easier to self-manage if you live locally.

But you can deal with most issues if you have a list of local contacts you trust. So a reliable sparkie, an odd-job-man, a plumber, a gas engineer etc.

Helpful tenants is a plus too. So if they have a problem, will they take a photo and sent it to you so you can get a rough idea before calling out the relevant contractor?
    Originally posted by G_M

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly how it worked with the previous tenants. They were spot on to be fair. The only time they ever got in touch was if it was something relating to plumbing or electrics, or something particularly tricky, otherwise, they were pretty hands on and dealt with most issues themselves.
    • ThePants999
    • By ThePants999 30th Jan 18, 1:28 PM
    • 1,091 Posts
    • 1,324 Thanks
    ThePants999
    I HATE it when people say that!

This is a forum and we are here to help people if we can.

Kids at school are generally rubbish at 'googling' stuff, let alone how to judge whether a website is a reliable source or not!

And as most kids are rubbish, therefore you will find that a lot of adults struggle too, so it could take them a HUGE amount of time to find what they are looking for from a reliable source.

Or they could just ask on here and have someone point them in the right direction or tell them in much less time...
    Originally posted by pinkshoes
    I disagree strongly with this.

Firstly, if someone is capable of finding a forum, filling in the registration form, using the email link to activate their account, logging in, navigating to an appropriate subforum and creating a thread, they've got NO excuse not to be able to use a search engine.

Secondly, if your concern is distinguishing reliable sources from unreliable ones, a forum is FAR worse than a search engine. Here you just have random strangers you know nothing about replying to you.

Thirdly, it might be much less time for them, but it's much more for us.

Finally, and most importantly, it might be much less time for them the first time. By the tenth time, though, they've even spent more of their OWN time doing it than they would have if they'd learned to Google. We should be encouraging people to use search engines for factual questions with straightforward answers. Forums are for exchanges of opinion, or complicated questions that need a human response.

All of that said, I don't object to this thread, which proved to be interesting in its own right!
    • Mahsroh
    • By Mahsroh 30th Jan 18, 1:33 PM
    • 339 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    Mahsroh
    I disagree strongly with this.

Firstly, if someone is capable of finding a forum, filling in the registration form, using the email link to activate their account, logging in, navigating to an appropriate subforum and creating a thread, they've got NO excuse not to be able to use a search engine.

Secondly, if your concern is distinguishing reliable sources from unreliable ones, a forum is FAR worse than a search engine. Here you just have random strangers you know nothing about replying to you.

Thirdly, it might be much less time for them, but it's much more for us.

Finally, and most importantly, it might be much less time for them the first time. By the tenth time, though, they've even spent more of their OWN time doing it than they would have if they'd learned to Google. We should be encouraging people to use search engines for factual questions with straightforward answers. Forums are for exchanges of opinion, or complicated questions that need a human response.

All of that said, I don't object to this thread, which proved to be interesting in its own right
    !
    Originally posted by ThePants999

Thanks for that. For clarity, yes I googled it first, and yes I found the answer that I believed to be correct. The reason for raising the question on this forum was that I was being told differently by a national letting agents who are very experienced in these things. So I thought perhaps there was something that I had perhaps missed, or misunderstood, or perhaps the letting agent had more in-depth information into the law/rules rather than a step-by-step guide on Gov.uk. Hence I asked the question on here to get further opinion on the matter, which has resoundingly confirmed that my initial thoughts on the matter were correct.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 31st Jan 18, 10:17 AM
    • 2,908 Posts
    • 5,908 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Thanks for that. For clarity, yes I googled it first, and yes I found the answer that I believed to be correct. The reason for raising the question on this forum was that I was being told differently by a national letting agents who are very experienced in these things. So I thought perhaps there was something that I had perhaps missed, or misunderstood, or perhaps the letting agent had more in-depth information into the law/rules rather than a step-by-step guide on Gov.uk. Hence I asked the question on here to get further opinion on the matter, which has resoundingly confirmed that my initial thoughts on the matter were correct.
    Originally posted by Mahsroh

And, more importantly, mahsroh, you managed to entertain ThePants999 for five minutes.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • pinklady21
    • By pinklady21 1st Feb 18, 1:17 PM
    • 519 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    pinklady21
    Did everyone assume the property is in England?
    Rules are different in Scotland, my understanding is that the 30 working days start ticking down from the Tenancy Start Date.

https://www.mydepositsscotland.co.uk/landlords/the-law
    • Mahsroh
    • By Mahsroh 1st Feb 18, 1:19 PM
    • 339 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    Mahsroh
    Did everyone assume the property is in England?
    Rules are different in Scotland, my understanding is that the 30 working days start ticking down from the Tenancy Start Date.

https://www.mydepositsscotland.co.uk/landlords/the-law
    Originally posted by pinklady21

It is in England.
    • Mahsroh
    • By Mahsroh 6th Feb 18, 11:49 AM
    • 339 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    Mahsroh
    Update!

I have the certificate from TDS. Deposit was protected yesterday!

As for my other throw away remark mid-way through this thread - my landlord for the house that I rent only wanted to meet to discuss rent rise (which was expected) so not as ominous as I thought. LL also bought the coffees, although there was no cake!!!

As for the letting agents managing my property. Jury is still out. I will monitor the situation over the coming weeks/months!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,625Posts Today

8,751Users online

Martin's Twitter