Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • puddle_duck1
    • By puddle_duck1 28th Jan 18, 4:47 PM
    • 37Posts
    • 75Thanks
    puddle_duck1
    Puddleduck's Adventures
    • 28th Jan 18, 4:47 PM
    Puddleduck's Adventures 28th Jan 18 at 4:47 PM
    Well hello there.

Little background to my story.

We have not been in debt for about 10 years. We saved and had a nice life.
    We decided to sell our home and buy an older house in a more rural area, this is where the problems started!

All our savings and now our massive debt has all been to renovate this house. SO much more than anticipated!! In fact if we had known there was so much work here we probably wouldn't have bought this house.
    The house is finished and it's lovely, everything is new ( house was gutted and inside rebuilt). So we don't have to worry about anymore building work for (hopefully) a long time. I will go into the amount of debt in the next post later on. This house is a lot bigger and we can't really justify buying nice things whilst the debt is so big. So it still doesn't feel like a welcoming family home.

So just to end, this renovation has crippled us and we are both in the mind set to sort it out quickly as we both in our 40s. I'm here to keep strong and to be influenced by you lovely people.

More to follow later on this evening.

Puddle
Page 2
    • Summer12
    • By Summer12 23rd Feb 18, 6:25 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    Summer12
    Totally relate!
    Hi Puddleduck

Love the name btw! I can totally relate to your story. We too bought a larger older house last July and started some renovations and as you say things just totally snowballed. Every little job resulted in new problems being found. Leaks under floor boards, no earth wires, take one tile off the whole wall comes apart. It feels like we are living in the money pit! Iím in awe of your food budget, how do you do it? We are a family of 3 (daughter is 9yrs). Iíve just spent £61 in Tesco that realistically will last 4 days! Which puts our food budget at £488 per month no wonder we are struggling to keep up at the moment with it all. Any tips greatly appreciated.
    • puddle_duck1
    • By puddle_duck1 24th Feb 18, 7:35 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    puddle_duck1
    Good morning

Wishing. . . . . I extended my maternity break to a career break for 3 years, my employers kept my job open for me and employed someone temp to cover (nhs). I loved having the time with my little one (she's 5 now) I went back to work when she started full time school (it's full time from 3 here in Wales). I work everyday but school hours so I get to take her to school, work in between, and pick her up at home time. I moan as I feel I have no time for other things but I I do I just need to be organised. It certainly helped with the money side. We leant to live off one wage, DH did the odd overtime to cover the special occasions. Our debt now is from house renevations not spending on silly things. It's a lovely time enjoy it!

Hi Summer, Thanks for popping in. I don't think the groceries is correct really. We still had a full freezer and cupboards from Xmas. Also DH picks up things and he does give me the amount but we may have missed some. I think having my shopping delivered has helped as I just order what I need. This is just food mind not cleaning stuff or washing. We also are not big eaters. How is your house coming along?

Well I'm so glad it's the weekend. I managed the ironing yesterday (straight off the line and ironed....so much easier to iron) I'm testing a stain remover at the moment and I'm not impressed). I also changed the beds and cleaned the bathroom. I hate having to do it over the weekend. Going to put the sheets and quilt covers in the machine this morning. Daughter loves putting the mop over the kitchen so she did that and made a mess (things we do to keep them happy).

OK just finishing off my 2nd cup of tea and sort out what we are doing today.

Take care
    Puddle
    • puddle_duck1
    • By puddle_duck1 26th Feb 18, 5:37 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    puddle_duck1
    Hi Diary

Bit spendy but always is after pay day.
    Needed Cat litter, cat biscuits/meat which will last all month. Also had a delivery of logs for the fires (we have one open fire and one log burner).

Routine back again now little one is back in school. Dreading the bad cold front that's on its way.

Bit lazy after work today, reading this book (gift from friend for kindness week) and I'm hooked!!
    Little one has eaten so all I need to do is food for myself and husband when he gets home, do bedtime and then back to my book.

Speak later

Puddle
    • puddle_duck1
    • By puddle_duck1 3rd Mar 18, 4:00 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    puddle_duck1
    Bit of a manic week.

Had two day's of school closed due to snow which has resulted in a day unpaid (no leave left) for me and a leave day for husband.

Little one has been such a good girl lately (she is always good mind) so bought her some new gel pens, pencil case and paper this morning. This will keep her happy for ages.

Feeling lucky tonight so going to BINGO tonight with a friend. It's a nice time out and the only gambling I do....apart from the lottery.....OK I'm a gambler lol (joke)

We should be able to knock a load off the overdraft again this month. Apart from car tax which was paid last week I don't think there's any big bills until next month.

I really do need to sit down and do some sort of spread sheet. I did a basic one last month but it's not really good enough.

Bought a money box that can only open with a can opener today for 79p. Took £32 out of my other money box and put it in that one so I can't touch it. Leaving £10is of change in the one I can open (just incase). This money is going to be for our holiday in June. Husband thinks it's a silly idea but hay ho I don't.

That plant I bought the other week........cat seems to find it tasty!! Grr!

I'm very tempted to go for a run but we still have a lot of snow around. I'm getting frustrated.

Will let you know later how much I win in BINGO
    • puddle_duck1
    • By puddle_duck1 4th Mar 18, 7:31 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    puddle_duck1
    Well I did win. . . . . All of £18 (was £37ish but had to share) so it paid for the night at least.

Puddle
    • juliejim
    • By juliejim 4th Mar 18, 10:00 AM
    • 7,574 Posts
    • 151,578 Thanks
    juliejim
    A win is a win lol!
    NST #10 Steps 7K 2/30 10K 2/12 5 a day 3/30 NSD 0/20
    MBNA £5500
    • puddle_duck1
    • By puddle_duck1 8th Mar 18, 10:16 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    puddle_duck1
    Husband needed new glasses and that came to £235!!! This is when a savings pot is needed.

Apart from that we should see the overdraft come down again this month.

Lovely weather today. Washing is on the line.
    • puddle_duck1
    • By puddle_duck1 7th Apr 18, 12:55 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    puddle_duck1
    I purposely haven't updated my diary as last month was pants!! Beyond our control really, lots of annual bills went out. Our overdraft went by £200ish. We had lots of family birthdays etc.

I have still been very MSE and this month looks a lot better.....hopefully!

I read other diaries almost daily so we have by no means given up.

Going to check on loan statements and report back later.

I'm very behind with housework.......always the same when it's half term. I'm working but get home at 3pm then only do minimal housework as I feel guilty that someone else has been looking after the little one. I have a couple of days off next week (still half term) so we will try to do family stuff.

I'm so glad Spring is on its way. Went for a country walk he other day. Got very dirty but loved it! Free!
    • puddle_duck1
    • By puddle_duck1 7th Apr 18, 1:07 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    puddle_duck1
    OK I last updated our debt end of Jan. We have since payed £2670 off that. That's 2 months so it's not all bad.

We will get there. Our wages are good so we just need to get even better.

I might try to do lists on here:-

*Sort freezer and make a list of what is there (we have 2 and they are full to burst)
    *Ironing (must do today)
    *Put wash load in (washing machine went to the menders a couple of days ago so I'm a little behind)

That's my list for today. If I manage anything else today I will be pleased.
    • puddle_duck1
    • By puddle_duck1 13th Apr 18, 7:52 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    puddle_duck1
    I really want to update on here daily!!

I come on here daily to read diaries but I find I have nothing to say on my diary. My fave's at the moment is Playmobil (so busy and so organised), Wannabe (again so organised and her kids sound fab) and mumblingtaff (fellow taffy and I remember her from before).

Not doing to bad this month, I did buy a new pair of running trainers £58 but they were needed and I see that as a investment in my health. DH needed a new pair of trousers and picked up 2 pairs for £30. It's been a cheap week as little one has been doing swim school all week so apart from the money for that, which came out of last month, we haven't really spent anything else, for half term that's good.

Apart from the swimming we haven't got much planned.

Catch you later
    Puddle
    • puddle_duck1
    • By puddle_duck1 15th Apr 18, 7:04 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    puddle_duck1
    OK well half term is hard, money wise. We had a coffee and cake in a garden centre today. Wow cost a small fortune!

Back to school/work tomorrow. May have to buy little one new trainers soon but will wait until payday which is next Monday.

I've been doing some yoga lately and I have to say I feel so much taller and stronger for it. Going to put little one to bed now and try and do 20 min's before DH gets home from work. Also I coloured my hair a shade lighter and put on a tanning mousteriser and have a spring in my step!!

Puddle
    • puddle_duck1
    • By puddle_duck1 17th Apr 18, 4:07 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    puddle_duck1
    Yo yo!

Money issues are getting to us at the moment. We don't like this debt, we are not used to this debt. It's making us have sleepless nights! All the debt is from the house renovation and as nice as the house is, it still doesn't feel like our forever home. I know the debt is going down quickly but we are not living!! We can't afford to buy nice comfortable furniture so house is bare (we do have settees but they are old and worn). OK enough feeling sorry for myself.

Lots to do but I plan on coming back in later tonight

Lots of love
    Puddle
    • puddle_duck1
    • By puddle_duck1 1st Jul 18, 6:37 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    puddle_duck1
    I'm still here. I still read diaries mostly everyday to keep motivated.

We have just payed to have our front garden and drive extended which wasn't going to be until next year but was driving the husband crazy (he is a perfectionist. . . . his only downfall actually). This means we are back into our overdraft but the next few months are going to be very frugal. This weather certainly helps as we just hang around in the garden. We have never had a big a garden as we have now and it's lovely. I have a little patch and growing veg. I love the garden there is so much to learn. Little one has her trampoline and swimming pool amongst other things and we have been coming home from school and straight in the garden until bath time. . . Love it!!

The main debt is coming down but we are only paying minimum at the moment because of the overdraft.

I'm on top of the household chores and apart from the nagging debt we are happy and starting to enjoy this house and the gorgeous surrounding countryside.

I need to update more to keep more focus.

Puddle
    xx
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 1st Jul 18, 6:55 PM
    • 7,050 Posts
    • 15,247 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Is it worth you looking for a job, even if part time or are you working? It sounds like that sort of debt will only be cleared with two wages coming in but it is a bit unclear as to whether you work or not. Focusing on the overdraft is a good plan.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • puddle_duck1
    • By puddle_duck1 1st Jul 18, 7:59 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    puddle_duck1
    Hi there enthusiastic. Yes I work 25 hours a week. I don't think I've mentioned that the Tesco loan was to up the mortgage without upping the mortgage (if that makes sense) so even though it's in with my numbers it's coming down nicely. We can do this. DH can do overtime every so often which is a big help.

I am going to use this dairy to monitor my spends, fitness and health.

Puddle
    xx
    • puddle_duck1
    • By puddle_duck1 3rd Jul 18, 5:46 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    puddle_duck1
    Been good this week. Taken lunch into work both days, which to be fair I always do but it's been a healthy lunch picked from my garden. Garden man has been paid and it was £200 more than we thought as we added a few jobs on. So this month will be tight. DH mentioned getting a waterbutt next pay day and lo and behold one turned up on a local free cycle Facebook page so he picked it up and it's perfect. We don't want for much but when we want something we normally go and get it so this few months should be good for us.

DH and I know that this month we can only spend on essential's like food. I had a go at doing a SOA but we have 2 cars and 1 motorbike and I don't know how to add that as there are outgoings from the bike.

We are enjoying the lovely weather and can't remember when the TV went on last. We have come home from school and straight in the garden until bathtime. I'm getting addicted to growing vegetables, only have a few on the go but it's so rewarding seeing them grow.

Have a basket full of ironing to do tonight when little one is in bed.

Going to put the amount of debt in my next post.

See you later

Puddle
    xx
    • puddle_duck1
    • By puddle_duck1 3rd Jul 18, 9:46 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    puddle_duck1
    £21,150 3% tesco bank (£335 a month but pay extra £50 to this)
    £7,192 3% Zopa (£133 a month)
    £4,800 parent loan (£200 a month)
    £1,350 overdraft
    We have no credit cards
    Total = £34,492

So this was Jan 18.

This is July 18

£18,692 Tesco
    £6526 Zopa
    £3800 Parents
    £1800 overdraft
    Total = £30,818

The overdraft went down to £200 but we booked in the front garden and drive to be done and it needed paying. It's done now, it's nice and if we stick to it, it will be paid off in no time.

Puddle
    xx
    • puddle_duck1
    • By puddle_duck1 9th Jul 18, 5:17 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    puddle_duck1
    So tight this month. We have £100 to last until payday which is 2 weeks away. I wish we had payed for the front garden half this month and half next but husband wanted it out of the way. Little one has £50 in her piggy bank so, if needs be, we will borrow and put back on pay day (will try not to do this as it feels like stealing!!).

It's really difficult to do housework in this weather. My house is so dirty!! I am enjoying it mind.

Going to try and do a little bit of tiding away and ironing later on.

Puddle
    xx
    • puddle_duck1
    • By puddle_duck1 17th Jul 18, 6:09 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    puddle_duck1
    Well this week and the next has/will be a good learning curve for us. We now have £50 to last until Monday(pay day). Will have to pay little ones swimming lessons out of her money and i will pay it back into her money box next week. We have used the food in the packed freezer (not packed anymore) and just bought essentials. DH has done 2 overtime shifts this month which is about £400ish and will put in for more over the next couple of months to get rid of this overdraft. This week's food is from sains.... as we have had a £20 off coupon and I have £30 in nectar points from surveys that I was keeping for Xmas but needs must! So this week's main shop is £10. Will need to buy something little for little ones teacher this week but we should be OK until Monday.

Also had £21 from Prolific just gone into bank.

Puddle
    Last edited by puddle_duck1; 17-07-2018 at 6:12 PM.
    • puddle_duck1
    • By puddle_duck1 28th Jul 18, 3:06 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    puddle_duck1
    Payday has been. Waiting for direct debits to go out on the 1st. We need a few calm months to sort out this overdraft. We are doing well.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,985Posts Today

8,687Users online

Martin's Twitter