Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • J B
    • By J B 28th Jan 18, 3:28 PM
    • 2,799Posts
    • 997Thanks
    J B
    POP3 to IMAP
    • 28th Jan 18, 3:28 PM
    POP3 to IMAP 28th Jan 18 at 3:28 PM
    A friend has a W10 laptop which she shares with husband - two separate user A/C's - which they use Windows Live Mail to access their emails via POP3.
    She has since purchased a new laptop and wants to have her emails on there ... and on her phone ... as well as on the old laptop.

Is it just as simple as changing the settings on WLM and then it will suddenly become an IMAP account that will then show on phone and new laptop (when 'we' have set them up correctly) ....
    or is it much more complicated than that?
Page 1
    • emptybox
    • By emptybox 28th Jan 18, 4:38 PM
    • 391 Posts
    • 202 Thanks
    emptybox
    • 28th Jan 18, 4:38 PM
    • 28th Jan 18, 4:38 PM
    You're likely to have to change the settings at the email provider's end as well, on your webmail accounts.

Fairly simple if it's Gmail, but might be more complicated if it's an ISP provided email account.

I'm presuming you know that WLM is no loger supported by Microsoft. They want you to use the Mail app included with Windows 10 (it's fine).
    • J B
    • By J B 28th Jan 18, 5:36 PM
    • 2,799 Posts
    • 997 Thanks
    J B
    • 28th Jan 18, 5:36 PM
    • 28th Jan 18, 5:36 PM
    You're likely to have to change the settings at the email provider's end as well, on your webmail accounts.
    Fairly simple if it's Gmail, but might be more complicated if it's an ISP provided email account.
    Originally posted by emptybox
    Sorry - didn't say ... she has a hotmail.co.uk account

I'm presuming you know that WLM is no loger supported by Microsoft. They want you to use the Mail app included with Windows 10 (it's fine).
    Yup, I knew that - in fact WLM became very 'buggy', so I set them up with the stock W10 app, but they didn't like it so went back to WLM and has worked OK since.
    New laptop has Office 2007 on it, so hope that she will use that but would like it to be in synch with her phone ...

• esuhl
    • By esuhl 28th Jan 18, 6:26 PM
    • 8,194 Posts
    • 5,945 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 28th Jan 18, 6:26 PM
    • 28th Jan 18, 6:26 PM
    Whether you use POP3 or IMAP servers depends on the settings in your email client.

I haven't checked, but this page suggests these settings for Hotmail addresses:
    https://www.limilabs.com/blog/hotmail-imap-pop3-smtp-settings

POP3:
    Server: pop-mail.outlook.com
    Port: 995

IMAP:
    Server: imap-mail.outlook.com
    Port: 993
    • emptybox
    • By emptybox 29th Jan 18, 2:04 AM
    • 391 Posts
    • 202 Thanks
    emptybox
    • 29th Jan 18, 2:04 AM
    • 29th Jan 18, 2:04 AM
    Hotmail will use imap by default anyway, so when you set up the account on the new laptop, just put in your email address and password and let it use defaults.

On the old laptop either change the settings as per esuhl's post, or alternatively just delete the account in WLM and then set it up anew, and it'll use imap.

I presume you've already set it up on the phone using one of the email apps?
    I use the Outlook app on my android phone to access my hotmail address, but you can use any email app really.
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 29th Jan 18, 8:50 AM
    • 3,570 Posts
    • 1,613 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    • 29th Jan 18, 8:50 AM
    • 29th Jan 18, 8:50 AM
    On the old laptop either change the settings as per esuhl's post, or alternatively just delete the account in WLM
    Before deleting an account which was using POP, check there's no local only mail stored or you might lose it.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
    • J B
    • By J B 29th Jan 18, 9:41 AM
    • 2,799 Posts
    • 997 Thanks
    J B
    • 29th Jan 18, 9:41 AM
    • 29th Jan 18, 9:41 AM
    Hotmail will use imap by default anyway, so when you set up the account on the new laptop, just put in your email address and password and let it use defaults.
    I already did that, but of course, it didn't find any of the old mails as they were on the old laptop which is pop3

On the old laptop either change the settings as per esuhl's post, or alternatively just delete the account in WLM and then set it up anew, and it'll use imap.
    Will change settings - can't see any reason to delete it

I presume you've already set it up on the phone using one of the email apps?
    I use the Outlook app on my android phone to access my hotmail address, but you can use any email app really.
    She already had it set up on her Windows phone - I had a quick look but couldn't see any settings for pop/imap

Before deleting an account which was using POP, check there's no local only mail stored or you might lose it.
    Originally posted by grumpycrab
    As above, why would I delete it?
    Will just alter settings and maybe wait a week to see how it all pans out .........
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 29th Jan 18, 10:04 AM
    • 4,379 Posts
    • 4,406 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 29th Jan 18, 10:04 AM
    • 29th Jan 18, 10:04 AM
    One of the settings you need to be aware of is the one that asks if you want to leave a copy on the server ... if that's set to No (or whatever option it is that deletes the server copy once a client downloads it) then the other client machines won't see the new emails.

Best way to check is to use the online (outlook.com) version to make sure the emails are staying on the server.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • J B
    • By J B 29th Jan 18, 5:24 PM
    • 2,799 Posts
    • 997 Thanks
    J B
    • 29th Jan 18, 5:24 PM
    • 29th Jan 18, 5:24 PM
    Hello again

I'm back from my (not very successful) visit.

I went to the hotmail website and logged into her account on the old laptop and changed the settings from pop to IMAP. Pressed 'save' and logged out.

Then went onto WLM which now won't connect to hotmail as WLM still thinks it's a POP account.
    Set up a new IMAP account on WLM using manual configuration, but when I then tried to synch, it gave an error message ...

https://imgur.com/Yv72YHO

I went to the new laptop - I'd set up the account with Outlook 2007 a couple of weeks ago - and checked settings.
    Not sure, but IIRC it said that it was a MS Exchange account??
    There were not many messages in the inbox as on the old pc it was set to delete from server after 30 days, but there were loads of sent items dating back to 2006 .... maybe they used to use webmail and they are there from then.

On her Windows phone, it hadn't (yet) synched so don't know if it will or not, but left it to stew for 24 hrs.
    Will go back tomorrow and ................ what can I do to get IMAP on WLM on the old PC?
    • emptybox
    • By emptybox 29th Jan 18, 6:24 PM
    • 391 Posts
    • 202 Thanks
    emptybox
    It maybe comes down to the fact that WLM is no longer supported.
    Try setting up the account again on the old laptop, following all the steps on this guide.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-access-outlook-or-hotmail-in-windows-live-mail-4043807
    • J B
    • By J B 30th Jan 18, 4:40 PM
    • 2,799 Posts
    • 997 Thanks
    J B
    It maybe comes down to the fact that WLM is no longer supported.
    Try setting up the account again on the old laptop, following all the steps on this guide.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-access-outlook-or-hotmail-in-windows-live-mail-4043807
    Thanks again - that has sorted it.
    I suspect that I had the authentication wrong!

I'm sure the answer is no (?), but I will ask anyway ...
    IMAP doesn't hold the address book as well, does it??

• emptybox
    • By emptybox 30th Jan 18, 5:12 PM
    • 391 Posts
    • 202 Thanks
    emptybox
    Thanks again - that has sorted it.
    I suspect that I had the authentication wrong!

I'm sure the answer is no (?), but I will ask anyway ...
    IMAP doesn't hold the address book as well, does it??

Originally posted by J B
    No IMAP doesn't sync your contacts.
    But there are ways to import your contact list from your online account to an email client.

https://itstillworks.com/12339956/how-to-sync-contacts-in-imap

Not sure if it'll work with WLM though.
    (perhaps another reason to switch to the W10 Mail app?)
    Last edited by emptybox; 30-01-2018 at 5:15 PM.
    • J B
    • By J B 30th Jan 18, 5:19 PM
    • 2,799 Posts
    • 997 Thanks
    J B
    No IMAP doesn't sync your contacts.
    But there are ways to import your contact list from your online account to an email client.

https://itstillworks.com/12339956/how-to-sync-contacts-in-imap

Not sure if it'll work with WLM though.
    (perhaps another reason to switch to the W10 Mail app?)
    Thanks

I copied the .csv to a memory stick then started to import it to MS Outlook on the new PC ... it seemed to be taking ages, so left it running awaiting the owner's return later today ...

• J B
    • By J B 13th Feb 18, 9:10 AM
    • 2,799 Posts
    • 997 Thanks
    J B
    I copied the .csv to a memory stick then started to import it to MS Outlook on the new PC ... it seemed to be taking ages, so left it running awaiting the owner's return later today ...
    Originally posted by J B
    BUMP

Anyway, two weeks later and they call me to say that it didn't work!

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/export-contacts-from-outlook-10f09abd-643c-4495-bb80-543714eca73f#ID0EAABAAA=2007

I have the .csv file on a memory stick - I go to import etc and the 'blue bar' progresses quickly across the screen but then just hangs and the blue spinning circle just spins!

In some strange was, she has managed to synch all the numbers off her phone to Outlook 2007 without trying, but can't get the email addresses off the old PC
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,936Posts Today

8,400Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • We all knew we'd win in the end. Never in doubt! ....walks away whistling

• Yeeesss. Phew. Wow. Uh. Oy yoy yoy

• It's interesting that 80% of the crowd are young women... According to the close ups we keep seeing anyway.

• Follow Martin