Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 28th Jan 18, 11:56 AM
    • 1,789Posts
    • 5,064Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Let's do this!
    • 28th Jan 18, 11:56 AM
    Let's do this! 28th Jan 18 at 11:56 AM
    Hi everyone

I've been a member on the forums for some years, but not been active for a long time. I really want to get myself out of debt and feel that keeping a diary will keep me accountable so I came over here

My debt has accrued since my 20s where I think I bought things to fill a void without being able to pay them back. I've been a bit of a "I need to have it now otherwise I'll never be able to have it!" type person. It's only recently (I'm now 37!) that I've been able to give myself a talking to and say if I don't have the spare cash then it can't go on my cards. I'm spending far too much on minimum payments which could go towards holidays and treats etc.

Dealing with my debt has also been difficult as I've been a been a student for about eight years so paying the fees has come first, although for my latest (and final!) course I had to pay for some of the fees on my credit card. Not ideal by any means but the career opportunities and salary will enable me to pay off more towards my debts.

I'm studying a doctorate and will be doing my viva in March 2018. A few months' ago I got a new job on the understanding that I would be qualifying in my profession shortly. Once my viva is passed (assuming I don't totally botch it!) I'll be qualified and my salary will increase to a level where I can pay £200-£200 per month extra off of my debts.

But it's not just the salary increase which will help. My whole mindset has to change and I hope that by keeping this diary it will help motivate me to keep going and wipe this debt off for good! I'll post my numbers in the next post.

I look forward to "meeting" you all. Please feel free to chip in with money saving ideas or other ways to reduce debt as I'm aware there are wiser souls here than myself
    My debt-free diary
Page 9
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 3rd Mar 18, 9:28 PM
    • 1,789 Posts
    • 5,064 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    We’ve had more snow than we usually have here Lilith, though it’s started to melt today. However, When the wind gets up you certainly believe it’s coming in from Russia!
    Originally posted by Seasidegal58
    I bet! It's been so bitterly cold!
    My debt-free diary
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 3rd Mar 18, 9:29 PM
    • 53,900 Posts
    • 213,199 Thanks
    beanielou
    Yes, when wind gets up it is dire
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 3rd Mar 18, 10:12 PM
    • 1,789 Posts
    • 5,064 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Yes, when wind gets up it is dire
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Let's hope it moves on soon :/
    My debt-free diary
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 4th Mar 18, 5:16 PM
    • 1,789 Posts
    • 5,064 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    We've had rain pretty much non-stop today. I decided I wanted to do some more decluttering so I went upstairs armed with a black bag! Hubby followed me even though I never asked him to

I managed to throw out lots of pairs of socks which were getting thin, or cheap ones I'd bought which I didn't use much because they were uncomfortable. Also, threw out an old pair of converse which were battered and I hadn't worn in a year. I now buy a cheaper version in Shoezone for £7.99! There are still some shoes I'm unsure about throwing so I want to have more of a think about them in terms of which outfits I can wear them with if needed in future.

I think hubby struggles a bit more with the emotional attachment to clothes than I do. He threw away a few t-shirts with holes in (courtesy of Charlie lol) and plenty of shirts which we're going to donate to the cs. He felt bad throwing out a t-shirt which I'd bought him a couple of years' ago which was faded and out of shape, bless him.

He also talked about buying stuff to replace what he had thrown out, so I told him it kind of defeats the object

Anyway, so we now have another bag to take to the cs so we'll do that next week
    Last edited by Lilith1980; 04-03-2018 at 5:24 PM.
    My debt-free diary
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 4th Mar 18, 7:17 PM
    • 53,900 Posts
    • 213,199 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good news on the decluttering

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 4th Mar 18, 7:20 PM
    • 1,789 Posts
    • 5,064 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Good news on the decluttering
    Thanks Beanielou
    My debt-free diary
    • debtfreeby2020
    • By debtfreeby2020 4th Mar 18, 7:39 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 172 Thanks
    debtfreeby2020
    We've had rain pretty much non-stop today. I decided I wanted to do some more decluttering so I went upstairs armed with a black bag! Hubby followed me even though I never asked him to

I managed to throw out lots of pairs of socks which were getting thin, or cheap ones I'd bought which I didn't use much because they were uncomfortable. Also, threw out an old pair of converse which were battered and I hadn't worn in a year. I now buy a cheaper version in Shoezone for £7.99! There are still some shoes I'm unsure about throwing so I want to have more of a think about them in terms of which outfits I can wear them with if needed in future.

I think hubby struggles a bit more with the emotional attachment to clothes than I do. He threw away a few t-shirts with holes in (courtesy of Charlie lol) and plenty of shirts which we're going to donate to the cs. He felt bad throwing out a t-shirt which I'd bought him a couple of years' ago which was faded and out of shape, bless him.

He also talked about buying stuff to replace what he had thrown out, so I told him it kind of defeats the object

Anyway, so we now have another bag to take to the cs so we'll do that next week
    Originally posted by Lilith1980
    Well done for getting stuck in. I wish I could get my husband to do a bit more in the way of decluttering. That said, I have emotional attachments to objects. My sister bought me a handbag for my 18th birthday. I loved it at the time but now I hate it. It is very juvenile. I don't know what to do!!!
    Emergency Fund: £300.01/£1000 (30%) March NST: 2/18 NSDs
    Tesco Loan: £3,877/£5000 Barclaycard: £3149.99/£3169.79
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 4th Mar 18, 7:42 PM
    • 1,789 Posts
    • 5,064 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Well done for getting stuck in. I wish I could get my husband to do a bit more in the way of decluttering. That said, I have emotional attachments to objects. My sister bought me a handbag for my 18th birthday. I loved it at the time but now I hate it. It is very juvenile. I don't know what to do!!!
    Originally posted by debtfreeby2020
    It's hard isn't it. I do have emotional attachments to some things, but in terms of clothes not so much. I have quite a few scarves, some of which were my nan's and I probably will wear them again but not very often. I can't bring myself to part with them...maybe in a few years I will, if I haven't worn them since!
    My debt-free diary
    • debtfreeby2020
    • By debtfreeby2020 4th Mar 18, 7:50 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 172 Thanks
    debtfreeby2020
    I think I will hold on to it for a while longer. See how I feel. Funny how the mind works. My parents got me a second-hand car for my 18th birthday. I didn't mind getting rid of that...
    Emergency Fund: £300.01/£1000 (30%) March NST: 2/18 NSDs
    Tesco Loan: £3,877/£5000 Barclaycard: £3149.99/£3169.79
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 4th Mar 18, 7:56 PM
    • 1,789 Posts
    • 5,064 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    I think I will hold on to it for a while longer. See how I feel. Funny how the mind works. My parents got me a second-hand car for my 18th birthday. I didn't mind getting rid of that...
    Originally posted by debtfreeby2020
    I was listening to s podcast by The Minimalists the other day and they said it's not the object itself but the memories we attach to it. They suggested taking photos of sentimental items and then selling them/giving to charity etc. But I guess you have to be ready to let go of the physical object.
    My debt-free diary
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 5th Mar 18, 7:09 PM
    • 1,789 Posts
    • 5,064 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Well this evening I've spent a bit of time re-reading my thesis ready for my viva next week (not finished reading it all yet). My goodness, it's boring

The weather was pretty mild today, which was good. Perhaps things have settled down now.

Caught up on a few surveys today, but nothing too exciting.

Hubby and I are going to try and get into doing cardio again. I do weight-training 5 days a week but haven't done cardio in about a year so want something to get my heart going. We could quite easily do this after work as we sit around on our laptops most of the evening so it'd be a better use of time
    My debt-free diary
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 6th Mar 18, 9:49 PM
    • 1,789 Posts
    • 5,064 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Long day at work, was pretty non-stop which is good but it felt never-ending!

Got home later than usual and hubby had set up the cardio DVD as we'd agreed yesterday. He asked if I wanted to do the cardio as I looked tired. I said "not really" but wanted to do it as we could both do with some exercise, and it's nice to do those things together. So, we got on with it and I was pleased we did as I felt like I'd left the stress of work behind

I've cashed out a few pounds from Qmee and Curious cat these past few days. These have gone into the rainy day fund. I'm trying to save up as much as possible in anticipation of the car work which may/may not need doing next week.

I'll be posting the ashes for my Charlie ring tomorrow. It's going to be about £16 for the parcel but I've got it in my budget and it's a one-off, and it'll be worth it

I hope everyone has had a good day.
    My debt-free diary
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th Mar 18, 10:07 PM
    • 53,900 Posts
    • 213,199 Thanks
    beanielou
    Well done on the excercise
    Hope you get to the PO ok.

***Keep plodding***
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 6th Mar 18, 10:17 PM
    • 1,789 Posts
    • 5,064 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Well done on the excercise
    Hope you get to the PO ok.
    Thanks Beanielou
    My debt-free diary
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 7th Mar 18, 7:10 PM
    • 1,789 Posts
    • 5,064 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    I had some Amazon voucher codes come through which I'd forgotten about. I'd installed an app on my laptop and phone which records the sites you visit and you get £10 for each after the first month and then I think it's £10 each month thereafter.

So, I used the £20 to buy a couple of toiletry sets for Christmas as my mum and aunt like those. I'm determined not to make Christmas the last minute spending spree it normally is

Tonight I used the rest of the excess mushroom sauce which I'd kept from batch-cooking the lunches at the weekend, the leftover mash from a dinner hubby had made the other night (his portion control is zero!) and cooked some tuna steaks that had been in the freezer for months, so a very money saving dinner!
    My debt-free diary
    • Rachel24
    • By Rachel24 7th Mar 18, 7:25 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 554 Thanks
    Rachel24
    Oooh have you got the name I the app you downloaded? I'm like you I don't want to struggle this year for Christmas!
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 7th Mar 18, 8:35 PM
    • 1,789 Posts
    • 5,064 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Oooh have you got the name I the app you downloaded? I'm like you I don't want to struggle this year for Christmas!
    Originally posted by Rachel24
    Sure! It's with IPSOS. I can't remember how I got signed up to it to be honest, but I think you need to sign up to i-say. They send you surveys but they may then send you something "IPSOS Incompass" where you can download the app onto your laptop and on your phone.
    https://rec-eu.i-say.com/surveys/gb/prelanding/2943/e3944dce44dec44ce18adcdc5251b9b4/3244/1022941f9fc7a5a893cb331f609ec2
    My debt-free diary
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Mar 18, 11:16 AM
    • 53,900 Posts
    • 213,199 Thanks
    beanielou
    Your money saving meal sounds good

***Keep plodding***
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 8th Mar 18, 6:26 PM
    • 1,789 Posts
    • 5,064 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Your money saving meal sounds good
    Thanks Beanie I was actually surprised at how well the mushroom sauce went with the tuna
    My debt-free diary
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 11th Mar 18, 11:09 AM
    • 1,906 Posts
    • 11,681 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Well done on starting the Xmas pressie buying - as you say it'll make the actual run up to Christmas so much easier!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Ad Hoc Savings - 16/05/2018: £621.59
    MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 36!
    My diary: “Paid off the £31,0000! BUT- still scrimping!”
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,535Posts Today

6,580Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin