Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 28th Jan 18, 11:56 AM
    • 1,946Posts
    • 5,646Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Let's do this!
    • 28th Jan 18, 11:56 AM
    Let's do this! 28th Jan 18 at 11:56 AM
    Hi everyone

I've been a member on the forums for some years, but not been active for a long time. I really want to get myself out of debt and feel that keeping a diary will keep me accountable so I came over here

My debt has accrued since my 20s where I think I bought things to fill a void without being able to pay them back. I've been a bit of a "I need to have it now otherwise I'll never be able to have it!" type person. It's only recently (I'm now 37!) that I've been able to give myself a talking to and say if I don't have the spare cash then it can't go on my cards. I'm spending far too much on minimum payments which could go towards holidays and treats etc.

Dealing with my debt has also been difficult as I've been a been a student for about eight years so paying the fees has come first, although for my latest (and final!) course I had to pay for some of the fees on my credit card. Not ideal by any means but the career opportunities and salary will enable me to pay off more towards my debts.

I'm studying a doctorate and will be doing my viva in March 2018. A few months' ago I got a new job on the understanding that I would be qualifying in my profession shortly. Once my viva is passed (assuming I don't totally botch it!) I'll be qualified and my salary will increase to a level where I can pay £200-£200 per month extra off of my debts.

But it's not just the salary increase which will help. My whole mindset has to change and I hope that by keeping this diary it will help motivate me to keep going and wipe this debt off for good! I'll post my numbers in the next post.

I look forward to "meeting" you all. Please feel free to chip in with money saving ideas or other ways to reduce debt as I'm aware there are wiser souls here than myself
    My debt-free diary
Page 21
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 27th Sep 18, 7:41 PM
    • 1,946 Posts
    • 5,646 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Poor pooch!. I hope she's a bit better today. At least she's been diagnosed correctly and receiving the right meds and care.
    Originally posted by Seasidegal58
    Thanks SSG. I took her out for a walk tonight as we kept her in yesterday and I think she was getting stir crazy. I managed to avoid other dogs. If we'd come across any I would have picked her up anyway.
    My debt-free diary
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 27th Sep 18, 8:22 PM
    • 2,356 Posts
    • 14,610 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Bet she was excited at getting out and about!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Ad Hoc Savings - 10/11/2018 - £1801.03
    MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 29
    My diary: “Paid off the £31,0000! BUT- still scrimping!”
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 27th Sep 18, 8:27 PM
    • 1,946 Posts
    • 5,646 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Bet she was excited at getting out and about!
    She did, bless her!
    My debt-free diary
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 28th Sep 18, 7:42 AM
    • 2,476 Posts
    • 7,737 Thanks
    Munchin
    Really glad to hear she is on the mend
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 28th Sep 18, 8:05 PM
    • 1,946 Posts
    • 5,646 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Really glad to hear she is on the mend
    Originally posted by Munchin
    Thanks, Munchin
    My debt-free diary
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 30th Sep 18, 6:22 PM
    • 2,497 Posts
    • 15,567 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Hope your little pooch is on the mend now , and you have been able to enjoy a nice walk together.
    CC1 £3500 Nov 2018.
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 2nd Oct 18, 5:06 AM
    • 1,946 Posts
    • 5,646 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Hope your little pooch is on the mend now , and you have been able to enjoy a nice walk together.
    Originally posted by Cumbria lass
    Thanks Cumbria - we waited 'til later on Sunday evening to take her just to be safe and avoid other dogs. As soon as we stepped outside the heavens opened

Pooch isn't a fan of the rain, so we were out about 10 minutes and she had a sniff but then wanted to come in. Hubby took her out yesterday though.She's much more lively
    My debt-free diary
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 7th Oct 18, 10:00 AM
    • 2,497 Posts
    • 15,567 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Hoping pooch is completely cured now .

How is life with you ?
    CC1 £3500 Nov 2018.
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 7th Oct 18, 10:23 AM
    • 1,946 Posts
    • 5,646 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Hoping pooch is completely cured now .

How is life with you ?
    Originally posted by Cumbria lass
    Hi Cumbria Pooch is much better thanks, still a slight cough but the vet said it could linger for up to a month. She's nearly finished her anti-inflammatory medication and she's still as bouncy as ever lol.

We went to see ELO on Friday night at Manchester and it was absolutely amazing! I'd really love to go again, but it's pricey. I booked the tickets last year when I had spare cash and I felt it was well worth it. Such a great experience. On Saturday we went out for lunch, nothing fancy but I wanted us to have some time together. I think we need to make sure we take more time out as we're both working hard.

I started a supervision course on Friday which is a total of 5 days spread across the next couple of months. It'll help me in my job and hopefully I can start supervising counsellors in my private practice too. Hubby has the same qualification. Once I've paid for that then I can dedicate more of my wages towards my debts. I love learning but I need to curb the urge to spend more on courses from now on as the sooner I can get my debts down the more disposable income I'll have.

The private work is going well. i'm fully booked in terms of the hours I can offer which is great. Hubby's finding it more difficult. He has two clients so far, but I wonder if the difficulty is because a lot of people prefer female therapists? Hubby seems to think so. I'm not sure, but it's something we'll keep working on.
    My debt-free diary
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 7th Oct 18, 12:04 PM
    • 2,476 Posts
    • 7,737 Thanks
    Munchin
    Hi Lilith,

Glad pooch is feeling better. Sister got told her pup needs an op on his leg and then 3 months cage rest. Poor pup & sis will be climbing the walls.

I hope hubbys practice picks up for him.
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 7th Oct 18, 2:24 PM
    • 1,946 Posts
    • 5,646 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Thanks, Munchin. Sorry to hear about your sister's pup. Three months is a long time
    My debt-free diary
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 7th Oct 18, 6:13 PM
    • 2,497 Posts
    • 15,567 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    A lot of friends went to see ELO and they enjoyed it also. Great to hear the business is going well. Do you think you could go self employed eventually. Glad to hear pooch is getting better .
    CC1 £3500 Nov 2018.
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 7th Oct 18, 6:19 PM
    • 2,356 Posts
    • 14,610 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Hi Lilith - good to know you enjoyed the concert. Wish I'd booked tickets to see ELO - I always really liked their music.

Glad your pooch is better too and your work is going well. Hope things pick up for your OH.
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Ad Hoc Savings - 10/11/2018 - £1801.03
    MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 29
    My diary: “Paid off the £31,0000! BUT- still scrimping!”
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 7th Oct 18, 6:20 PM
    • 1,946 Posts
    • 5,646 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Thanks Cumbria, I think I'd like to go more part-time with my job, but wouldn't want to give that up completely as I do enjoy it. I think it'd be nice to do 3 days employed and 2 self-employed. I'm in no rush yet though, but we've started off well

I think hubby was hoping to see clients more on a Friday as he doesn't work that day, but he's going to see his mum a lot at the moment. Her dog has aggressive cancer and he's worried about how she will be when the dog has to be pts, which won't be long so it's probably best that his Fridays stay free for now.
    My debt-free diary
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 7th Oct 18, 6:22 PM
    • 1,946 Posts
    • 5,646 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Hi Lilith - good to know you enjoyed the concert. Wish I'd booked tickets to see ELO - I always really liked their music.

Glad your pooch is better too and your work is going well. Hope things pick up for your OH.
    Thanks SSG. I think there are still tickets available, but depends if he's at a venue near you. They're not cheap but I'd pay to see him again
    My debt-free diary
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 11th Oct 18, 5:04 AM
    • 1,946 Posts
    • 5,646 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    I don't know if I mentioned on here before, but I'd chosen to go to 4 days once I was made permanent in November. I was given the paperwork yesterday to change my hours from next month and to be honest I'm regretting it as I've just got used to having a bigger salary and it'll go back down to what I was earning when I was training

The good news is that this is only for the next two months - although that's the most expensive two months of the year! I start a new project in the new year which will bump me back up to full-time for the next 12 months. So, I've taken this as my opportunity to use as much of my spare cash to pay off my debts. If I can take a chunk off then that will help when I go back part-time in 2020.

So, the race is on! I just need to remember not to deprive myself and remember that things will crop up where I can't pay off as much as I want due to emergency spends.

Hubby and I were also talking about the fact that we're not actually taking anything we're earning out of the business, so we need to start doing that otherwise we're going to feel like we're working extra for nothing. We should have a nice little amount to take each month after we account of expenses and putting away for tax.
    Last edited by Lilith1980; 11-10-2018 at 5:08 AM.
    My debt-free diary
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Oct 18, 8:00 PM
    • 58,810 Posts
    • 243,898 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope it all works out for you.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 11th Oct 18, 8:10 PM
    • 1,946 Posts
    • 5,646 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Thanks Beanie
    My debt-free diary
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 12th Oct 18, 8:13 PM
    • 2,497 Posts
    • 15,567 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Am sure it will all work out ok in the end Lilith. Have a good weekend, if this awful weather ever goes away.n
    CC1 £3500 Nov 2018.
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 12th Oct 18, 8:47 PM
    • 1,946 Posts
    • 5,646 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Thanks Cumbria

Yes, the pooch didn't even want to go out because it's been so windy!
    My debt-free diary
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

280Posts Today

1,557Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The responses to this thread are no question the best of british! https://t.co/jv5Q2ErQQC

• RT @SMinihane87: @MartinSLewis After she received the title she addressed it in literally the first episode of the next season of the appre?

• RT @WhichUK: ??CHRISTMAS WARNING TO PARENTS?? Don't buy any of these slimes for your kids ? they all contain potentially unsafe levels of?

• Follow Martin