Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 28th Jan 18, 11:56 AM
    • 1,935Posts
    • 5,598Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Let's do this!
    • 28th Jan 18, 11:56 AM
    Let's do this! 28th Jan 18 at 11:56 AM
    Hi everyone

I've been a member on the forums for some years, but not been active for a long time. I really want to get myself out of debt and feel that keeping a diary will keep me accountable so I came over here

My debt has accrued since my 20s where I think I bought things to fill a void without being able to pay them back. I've been a bit of a "I need to have it now otherwise I'll never be able to have it!" type person. It's only recently (I'm now 37!) that I've been able to give myself a talking to and say if I don't have the spare cash then it can't go on my cards. I'm spending far too much on minimum payments which could go towards holidays and treats etc.

Dealing with my debt has also been difficult as I've been a been a student for about eight years so paying the fees has come first, although for my latest (and final!) course I had to pay for some of the fees on my credit card. Not ideal by any means but the career opportunities and salary will enable me to pay off more towards my debts.

I'm studying a doctorate and will be doing my viva in March 2018. A few months' ago I got a new job on the understanding that I would be qualifying in my profession shortly. Once my viva is passed (assuming I don't totally botch it!) I'll be qualified and my salary will increase to a level where I can pay £200-£200 per month extra off of my debts.

But it's not just the salary increase which will help. My whole mindset has to change and I hope that by keeping this diary it will help motivate me to keep going and wipe this debt off for good! I'll post my numbers in the next post.

I look forward to "meeting" you all. Please feel free to chip in with money saving ideas or other ways to reduce debt as I'm aware there are wiser souls here than myself
    My debt-free diary
Page 18
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 23rd Jun 18, 9:49 PM
    • 1,935 Posts
    • 5,598 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Thanks Seaside Gal!
    My debt-free diary
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 29th Jun 18, 7:18 PM
    • 2,421 Posts
    • 14,998 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    How has the office progressed, and is the car ok ?
    CC1 £3500 Nov 2018.
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 29th Jun 18, 7:53 PM
    • 1,935 Posts
    • 5,598 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Hi Cumbria, car is fine now thank you! Fingers crossed there's no more problems for a while, and it didn't cost me anything.

We're moving our stuff into the office tomorrow! Plus, the website should be live by Sunday. Assuming we get people who contact us we're not going to see anyone until August, we just wanted to get ourselves "out there" now to get our names around. We're just trying to figure out all this new GDPR stuff and how we store our confidential information. It's a minefield
    My debt-free diary
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 29th Jun 18, 8:03 PM
    • 2,421 Posts
    • 14,998 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Good luck Lilith this weekend . Yep GDPR is a minefield , we have lived and breathed it at work for months.
    CC1 £3500 Nov 2018.
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 29th Jun 18, 8:18 PM
    • 1,935 Posts
    • 5,598 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Thanks Cumbria
    My debt-free diary
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 2nd Jul 18, 6:56 AM
    • 1,935 Posts
    • 5,598 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Had a busy weekend moving our stuff in, but it looks good. We just need a few more 'finishing touches' to make it look even nicer. All this GDPR stuff is doing my head in, and turns out we'll need to buy another filing cabinet. Oh well.

After all the spends which came out from the money I received from my nan's savings plan, we have about £1,000 left, but I'll be using this to pay the rent on the room over the next few months. That'll mean we can focus on trying to get our name out there and see people, rather than worrying about keeping the room. I feel excited, but also anxious as to whether this will work and we can see enough people to at least cover the rent. We'd need to see a minimum 7-8 clients a month to do this, which isn't a lot at all but when you're starting out and no one knows you it seems like a huge mountain!

I'd planned to go for a run with hubby this morning, but I was just too tired. I feel like the past couple of weeks there has been lots of rushing around, picking up things for the office and organising. Maybe it'll settle a bit now that the office is sorted.

I have my graduation ceremony this week, so that'll be nice
    My debt-free diary
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 8th Jul 18, 8:59 AM
    • 1,935 Posts
    • 5,598 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Well my graduation was a great experience, although it was very hot and I couldn't wait to get my gown off! Hubby and I went for lunch afterwards with one of the other students and her family. To bebe honest I wasn't really feeling it as I just wanted to go home and also because of spending more money. I bit the bullet though and I'm glad we went as we had a nice time. Plus unexpectedly, the other student's parents paid for the whole meal. I felt very humbled that they would do that.

It feels very strange now that it's properly over. It's been a really tough few years and it's left me reflective. I'm also looking forward to seeing what the future brings
    My debt-free diary
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 8th Jul 18, 2:26 PM
    • 2,273 Posts
    • 14,093 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Congratulations on your graduation ceremony!. And how thoughful of your friend's parents to pay for the celebratory meal!

You've done so well over the past few years - and good luck with your new venture!

P.S. GDPR has absolutely driven me and most people at my firm up the wall as well!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Ad Hoc Savings - 19/11/2018 - £1777.03
    MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 30
    My diary: “Paid off the £31,0000! BUT- still scrimping!”
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 8th Jul 18, 3:18 PM
    • 1,935 Posts
    • 5,598 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Congratulations on your graduation ceremony!. And how thoughful of your friend's parents to pay for the celebratory meal!

You've done so well over the past few years - and good luck with your new venture!

P.S. GDPR has absolutely driven me and most people at my firm up the wall as well!
    Originally posted by Seasidegal58
    Thanks Seasidegal, and I'm glad I'm not alone with the GDPR madness!
    My debt-free diary
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Jul 18, 9:05 PM
    • 58,110 Posts
    • 239,518 Thanks
    beanielou
    Glad graduation day went well & you had a lovely lunch
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 8th Jul 18, 9:48 PM
    • 1,935 Posts
    • 5,598 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Thanks Beanielou!
    My debt-free diary
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 19th Jul 18, 5:25 AM
    • 1,935 Posts
    • 5,598 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Well my spending this month has been carp. I'm pretty skint and I still have just over a week until payday

I've not made any major spends, it's just little things here and there. Some bits have been for the business, other bits have been snacks, bottles of wine etc.

To top it off we go down to my family's this weekend which will cost about £40 in petrol and we're going out for a meal as it's a family member's birthday. I think it will have to go on the CC which I hate doing, but hubby and I are happy not to go mad with the meal. I do begrudge it...family things are difficult for me as that's the reason I'm in therapy without going into details

Anyway, next month I'll reign it in again and be more careful with my spending. I don't want to go back to being skint before the end of each month.
    My debt-free diary
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 19th Jul 18, 6:28 AM
    • 2,421 Posts
    • 14,998 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Lilith first up congrats on your graduation, I bet some money had to be spent there , if I remember cap and gown plus photos cost the best part of £100 .

I get what you mean about spending money when you don't really want to, given the circumstances I think you just have to do what you have to do and re-evaluate on pay day.

Is the new office up and running and the business you hope to run/ are running underway yet.?
    CC1 £3500 Nov 2018.
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 19th Jul 18, 6:34 AM
    • 1,935 Posts
    • 5,598 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Lilith first up congrats on your graduation, I bet some money had to be spent there , if I remember cap and gown plus photos cost the best part of £100 .

I get what you mean about spending money when you don't really want to, given the circumstances I think you just have to do what you have to do and re-evaluate on pay day.

Is the new office up and running and the business you hope to run/ are running underway yet.?
    Originally posted by Cumbria lass
    Hi Cumbria Lass, yes the graduation gown, binding of the thesis, photos, and professional registration cost £400! That wiped out my rainy day fund

New office is ready to go! I actually have someone coming for an initial meeting for counselling in a couple of weeks so I'm hoping they don't back out before then

We've been told it can take 1-2 years to break even, so I'm a bit worried how things will pan out as we only have five months' rent money. But, I'm trying to remain positive. I'm promoting us where I can so I think it's a case of easing into it
    My debt-free diary
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 22nd Jul 18, 5:51 PM
    • 2,421 Posts
    • 14,998 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Wow £400 is a large amount, obviously my DD and DS only had cap, gown and photos . Hope your first client goes well, it's very exciting for you.

I am sure it will be a success your business , it's just a case of wait and see I guess.
    CC1 £3500 Nov 2018.
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 22nd Jul 18, 5:58 PM
    • 1,935 Posts
    • 5,598 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Wow £400 is a large amount, obviously my DD and DS only had cap, gown and photos . Hope your first client goes well, it's very exciting for you.

I am sure it will be a success your business , it's just a case of wait and see I guess.
    Thanks Cumbria Lass. Unfortunately, the client contacted me yesterday and said they no longer wanted to meet as they weren't ready Obviously it's their choice, it's just a bit disappointing but I have to remember we're only a few weeks into things!

Family trip was okay, I coped better than I have done previously so the therapy is helping, but it still leaves me drained. My credit card has an extra £72 on it, but couldn't be avoided as it was a relative's birthday and we split the bill when we went out for a meal and paid for them. I'd normally try and put money aside for things like this, but things didn't work out that way this month.

What irked me is that some family members ordered more food/drinks than others when we all paid an equal share. I bit my tongue as it was a birthday meal, but in future if it's just a normal meal I'll say me and hubby will pay for ourselves.

I'd really appreciate a storm right now, as this heat is getting to me now
    My debt-free diary
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 22nd Jul 18, 6:42 PM
    • 2,421 Posts
    • 14,998 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    I wrote a reply and then lost it! I think you did really well on your visit , but agree about the splitting of the bill, there are always the people who order more or the most expensive stuff. You went anyway and that was a good thing, maybe an early night will make you feel better tomorrow.

As for the client, it takes time to build up a business and am sure it will get going soon. The weather here has been very pleasant for the past three days around 21c and we have had a little rain. Nighttime has been good for sleeping. It's supposed to be getting warmer again. I can't remember where you are in the country , but I can't stand the heat, so glad to be here in the north west today, though we are having a hosepipe ban from the 5th August.
    CC1 £3500 Nov 2018.
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 22nd Jul 18, 7:00 PM
    • 1,935 Posts
    • 5,598 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    I wrote a reply and then lost it! I think you did really well on your visit , but agree about the splitting of the bill, there are always the people who order more or the most expensive stuff. You went anyway and that was a good thing, maybe an early night will make you feel better tomorrow.

As for the client, it takes time to build up a business and am sure it will get going soon. The weather here has been very pleasant for the past three days around 21c and we have had a little rain. Nighttime has been good for sleeping. It's supposed to be getting warmer again. I can't remember where you are in the country , but I can't stand the heat, so glad to be here in the north west today, though we are having a hosepipe ban from the 5th August.
    Thanks Cumbria, we're in Staffordshire. I shouldn't really moan about the weather, but it's been so warm at night so my sleep is suffering. Glad it's been cooler where you are...I'll keep hoping!
    My debt-free diary
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 22nd Jul 18, 7:28 PM
    • 2,421 Posts
    • 14,998 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    We aren't that far away in Manchester, just shows how strange the weather is .
    CC1 £3500 Nov 2018.
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 22nd Jul 18, 7:29 PM
    • 1,935 Posts
    • 5,598 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    We aren't that far away in Manchester, just shows how strange the weather is .
    Very strange! Typical UK!
    My debt-free diary
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,833Posts Today

8,568Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @RickGreerUK: @MartinSLewis Someone looking so jazz up their headline. I hope they apologise! I?ve always appreciated MSE?s responsibl?

• The Times has an upsetting article today about travel insurer TIF. Yet a sidebar piece is also more than disinge? https://t.co/KgJaTkWFOg

• RT @kcb1: Looking forward to @MartinSLewis on the money show tonight at 8. It?s a shame it?s only 1 hour long

• Follow Martin